skJF

Wosrst server hopping solution ever

Found a car last night, spent hours fixing it...  12 hours later, servers full.  I got to another server to go find some food in the mean time...  I'm literally all the way across the map.  This is out-fkn-rageous...  What kind of functioning adult actually thought this was a good idea?

Edited by skJF

Community Servers for the win! :)

Take a breath, calm down. It's always possible to have a discussion, but make sure not to get outraged.

I don't mean to be fanning the flames, but maybe a little bit of outrage is in order...

A lot of players could immediately foresee the unintended consequences of this 'fix' for normal players in innocuous circumstances.  Many of us said as much.  With a game like DayZ, time spent traveling is significant, and geographical progress is easily half of importance of what is saved when a player logs out.

The ability to carry on doing what you were doing, where you were doing it, upon relogging, is integral to the DayZ experience.  To have that progress stripped away arbitrarily, resulting in possibly hours of wasted time, is upsetting.  It artificially changes the flow of the game.  It could bring a player-life to an untimely end by forcing a player to travel through an area that they otherwise would not have, in an attempt to travel back to their last *intended* location.  If somebody was dying of thirst and just made it to a well before having to log out, being whisked away to a random location would result in death of the character. 

Simply joining a friend's game on another server would mean that one of them has to suffer the inconvenience of losing their geographical progress.

This system is poorly conceived, and never should have been implemented on the stable branch. 

It amounts to collective punishment.  There are simply too many cases in which it would negatively impact non-target players in attempting to solve a problem that we had all coped with for ages.

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

wait what? I thought you would only get ported minor distances to avoid base logging, like 10-20m. All the way across map???

Only played on privates so far so I haven't seen the system yet. I can't imagine a dayz where I don't login the same placed I logged out. As emu said, it is about the experience. You continue your story where you left it.

58 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I don't mean to be fanning the flames, but maybe a little bit of outrage is in order...

A lot of players could immediately foresee the unintended consequences of this 'fix' for normal players in innocuous circumstances.  Many of us said as much.  With a game like DayZ, time spent traveling is significant, and geographical progress is easily half of importance of what is saved when a player logs out.

The ability to carry on doing what you were doing, where you were doing it, upon relogging, is integral to the DayZ experience.  To have that progress stripped away arbitrarily, resulting in possibly hours of wasted time, is upsetting.  It artificially changes the flow of the game.  It could bring a player-life to an untimely end by forcing a player to travel through an area that they otherwise would not have, in an attempt to travel back to their last *intended* location.  If somebody was dying of thirst and just made it to a well before having to log out, being whisked away to a random location would result in death of the character. 

Simply joining a friend's game on another server would mean that one of them has to suffer the inconvenience of losing their geographical progress.

This system is poorly conceived, and never should have been implemented on the stable branch. 

It amounts to collective punishment.  There are simply too many cases in which it would negatively impact non-target players in attempting to solve a problem that we had all coped with for ages.

Very well put, and I couldn't agree more. 

If any more was needed to put the (dwindling) loyal, and long-suffering playerbase off vanilla, this is it. 

• Beans 1

Im not impressed by this silly follow through of this change, I did put forward a submission of a better solution to make players spawn in the vicinity of nearest town or city,... but more blockers went up... with more silly excuses... Ive not played a public server since this, Im sure others will soon realize the uselessness of playing public servers soon enough also. Devs just make the change I suggested, its better than what is current.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, skJF said:

rageous

I find it interesting that everyone here is in agreement, except one...  Who seems more intent on flexing over people literally using the forum what the forum is meant for, than contributing. 

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Absolutely true, and the flames maybe need to be fanned.  The mods here might not care that the game is being ruined for us, but the people who actually play the game seem to care a lot.  I've played since 2014 and at this point I think I might just quit.  

Edited by skJF

1 hour ago, Buakaw said:

wait what? I thought you would only get ported minor distances to avoid base logging, like 10-20m. All the way across map???

Only played on privates so far so I haven't seen the system yet. I can't imagine a dayz where I don't login the same placed I logged out. As emu said, it is about the experience. You continue your story where you left it.

Yep, was NE as NE can get...  Spawned near Balota.  Go figure... 

25 minutes ago, skJF said:

i thought Balota was in the south west part of the map.

never mind you were in the north east and ended up at the south west

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
miss under standing maybe
  • Beans 1

1 hour ago, skJF said:

haha, what? I would honestly just quit playing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Buakaw said:

haha, what? I would honestly just quit playing.

Yeah it was pretty terrible lol.  If it got me there tho, it can get me out...  Right?  Ima hop until I end up back near where I was lol.  What a ridiculous way to have to play a game though 

• Beans 2

3 hours ago, skJF said:

Yeah it was pretty terrible lol.  If it got me there tho, it can get me out...  Right?  Ima hop until I end up back near where I was lol.  What a ridiculous way to have to play a game though 

^^^This. Another unintended consequence of players server hopping as a hail-mary teleportation method.  Just like spawn cycling, but you get to keep your gear.

Maybe they'll fix that by randomly deleting stuff from your inventory to discourage abuse.  I'm sure that'll really please new players who take a break or get disconnected, and then can't remember which alphanumeric official public server they were on...

"No. I said meet me on TX-18, not TX-8, my mic must have cut out or something.  Where'd it end up teleporting you?"

"It doesn't matter, I'll be teleported again when I join back on 18..."

Not exactly quality gameplay, that...  It really does beg the question of OP's closing thoughts.

I like the idea as it is currently implemented. The only drawback I have seen is if your server is full and there is a huge queue. Then I just play on a private server for a while while the queue goes down. Teleporting across the map at a random spot will deter server hoppers. Yes, the "hail-mary" telep[ortation method may work, but if you're in a team is that the best solution?

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

"No. I said meet me on TX-18, not TX-8, my mic must have cut out or something.  Where'd it end up teleporting you?"

I can't see this as a valid argument. Because even if the guy heard correctly "meet me on TX-18" then he would have been spawned at a random location anyway.

Maybe the best solution would be to tie the toon to the server. Jump servers then you create a new character (or use one you already created for that server).

IMHO, this anti server hopping is meant to prevent:

1. Base hopping (bypassing gates or server hopping onto a roof base etc)

2. Combat hopping (to a better position)

3. Server looting (hopping from one server to another collecting the loot from good spawn points)

4. Avoiding the night cycle

5. Avoiding group combat (your group simply combat logging to another server)

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:52 PM, emuthreat said:

^^^This. Another unintended consequence of players server hopping as a hail-mary teleportation method.  Just like spawn cycling, but you get to keep your gear.

Maybe they'll fix that by randomly deleting stuff from your inventory to discourage abuse.  I'm sure that'll really please new players who take a break or get disconnected, and then can't remember which alphanumeric official public server they were on...

Not exactly quality gameplay, that...  It really does beg the question of OP's closing thoughts.

Yeah, it's honestly a toddler-level solution. You can tell that absolutely zero thought went into this whatsoever. And now we probably have to deal with it for another 8 months while the useless 5 person Dev team comes up with another terrible idea.

• Confused 1

Gus, idk how this could be anymore clear.  Your inability to recognize the blatant shortcomings of this half-assed, knee-jerk "solution", is  your own deficiency. 

Edited by skJF

However, I do like the idea of simply tying the character to the server, similar to the community ones...  But there would need to be like an A and B, because the same issue results if not...  Your servers full, you cannot play.  That literally might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.  Could you imagine any other game trying something like that?  People would be screaming for refunds.  But since this games always made historically terrible decisions, just 1 more is no big deal?  There is not ONE SINGLE ACCEPTABLE reason why a Dev team should be actively trying to make people NOT play.  That is utter insanity. 

Lots of players play exclusively on private servers, in which you have to wait or go elsewhere if it is full when you try to log in.  It's a better solution than the hopper mitigation spawnpoints, but I'm sure there is some middle ground that they could try instead.

No need for the harsh hyperbole and quasi-name-calling...

I’m surprised so many dislike it. I think it’s a decent solution to a lot of major issues...

Ghosting - nothing worse than someone magically appearing in your base, or even behind you during a firefight. I used to think spawning in a nearby town world be better, but what’s to stop someone using it to flank around you?

Combat Logging - losing your position on the map will hopefully be enough to deter people from this.

Server hopping - Whether it’s for finding military loot, or escaping the dark. This system works wonders for these. I’ve already noticed an increase in pop during the night.

Duping - This new system makes the previous duping exploits a lot more difficult to do. Hopefully they will deter enough people to prevent the shitshow from before

The only major drawback I can see is if a server crashes, and goes down for a long time. Losing your progress that way would suck. 

I’ve also used it in a good way. After a long journey to Tisy, I felt I needed a fresh start, so CHOSE to server hop and spawn in a random location. It was kinda cool. Post-Tisy often feels like a bit of a slog. I know it’s not exactly realistic, but it’s a nice option to have if you want to mix it up a bit.

• Beans 1

Is this current solution not a decent middle ground? I'm surprised that people who dislike the current method are rather in favor of private hives on public. I mean the current solution pushes players to remain on their server, but does give the possibility, if needed, to change server. Perfect middle ground for the private/public hives debate and solves a lot of issues as ThePugMan mentioned.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, skJF said:

Your servers full, you cannot play.  That literally might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.  Could you imagine any other game trying something like that?  People would be screaming for refunds.

I don't know which games you played previously, but I really can't see that much of a problem with it. I used to play Miscreated a lot with a friend of my. If a server was full you had to spam the join button to get in, no queue feature. But we also had no problem in joining a different server and continue on a different toon.

Edited by amadieus
typo
  • Beans 1

Everyone is so salty now that they have to actually play the game... and everyone is so wrapped up in their personal exploits that their ego won't let them gain any perspective on why this system is leagues better than what it was before 1.04 patch. GusHaines, I am in accord with you, bud.

16 hours ago, ThePugman said:

This system works wonders for these. I’ve already noticed an increase in pop during the night.

This is about the only reason I could agree with being worth using the current fix; the other stuff could be fixed with timers or a less harsh relocation system.

16 hours ago, ThePugman said:

After a long journey to Tisy, I felt I needed a fresh start, so CHOSE to server hop and spawn in a random location.

And this is yet another unintended consequence.  Making it back out of Tisy or the Airfield or Western Roadblock is just the other half of the challenge.  Triggering the godhand to move you to a safer location after you've gotten the cheese is some pretty greasy tactics...

This is not a middle ground, it's punishing people who play the game legitimately.  And no, "Oh, well other people can't play sometimes.  It's not that big of a deal" is not a valid excuse.  It's an admission of the blatant failure of the devs, if anything. There is absolutely no acceptable reason whatsoever, why people should be punished to the point of not being able to play at times, because idiots can't stop being idiots. I'm honestly in utter awe at the notion that anyone would find that even remotely acceptable... 

Easy fix to the whole situation.  Removal of hives.  Then nobody can server hop.  Idk why they ever created the hives to begin with.

Now, hear as the randoms chime in, "it's there so people can play with their friends."

Well, guess what, you can still do that.  It doesn't take that long to coordinate with friends over what server to play on.  Only takes slightly longer to get basic gear, only slightly longer than that to get decent gear and only slightly longer than that to get fully kitted to where you're looking for something else to do.

• Beans 1