I do NOT use Twitter

count this as "Focused Feedback"

xxp

• Haha 2
  • Beans 2

+1.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

I do use twitter, but I still expect the Official forum to be the main and default channel where devs announce things about the game. By all means use twitter too - and link here as you sometimes do - but only posting a few syllables on twitter is not enough, ESPECIALLY when it is an important announcement that needs to reach as many players as possible. Such as news about a delayed update...

Because, as you see, not everyone uses or wants to use twitter.

• Beans 2

What is a twitter? is it some sort of fancy cat litter?.. perhaps a nervous system condition?....😕???

• Beans 1

I have a twitter , but when i try to send a twitter it ends up in my inbox. so i think i just talk or twitter to myself.

so i guess it's like posting on here.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
to add a thought
  • Haha 3

twitter is for morons 
sorry morons, no offense intended

Anyway, I can't imagine any way I could ever offend = a twitter user =  so we can all go go right ahead and .. be what we are .. OK?

But I do not believe :
-
that the fact of  Prez Trump using twitter as his official channel to rant at Iran
and keep his billion fans up to date about what he 'thinks' while he's watching TV
MEANS that BI will have any success using it to keep their DayZ fans informed

And I wonder how the PR team came up with this idea:
<< SAY, if anyone ever actually suddenly for some crazy reason maybe ever thinks anything about DayZ, ( we can imagine this happening - Right?) well then they can just Tweet it while they're on the moped, in a meeting, in the bath, bed, poolhall, bar, wherever, and nobody has to sit down in front of a "keyboard" and try to be COHERENT anymore, or REPLY to anything, or give any DETAILS about what the hell just came into their head. and Hell, twitter wont LET you write  281 characters total, so that's brill, that's the team OFF THE HOOK (and NOT their fault!) no more EXPLANATIONS and no one has to even pretend to read that complicated boring stuff in the Forum; hell there are ALL Kinds of "fans" in there (real weirdos) .. They can just give like/dislike to the tweet or a VERY SHORT reply no one needs to read and that cuts out ALL the boring crap. >>  

I've always considered (with sympathy) that  BI's PR effort is consistently pretty low level
[ And I use "low level" with kindness and sensitivity to avoid using non-PC words such as "poor" ]
But
i never thought of BI's PR effort as being a Kim Kardashian lookalike, before

Unicode : Tweet length is measured by the number of codepoints in the NFC normalized version of the text. If that’s too geeky, just keep reading our tweets and we won't explain.
THUMBS UP

twitter is for morons
- wow I had enough SPACE to say that TWICE... this technology is Amazing !

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
- went over 280 chars.
  • Haha 2

I was initially pretty pissed that I *had to* start using twitter to get new information about DayZ.

But over the course of a few months, random stuff on my feed slowly got to be more interesting and relevant as I followed things that caught my attention.  Mainly journalists and comedians, and some random things like a PhD of corvid research.

There is lots of information, all instantaneous; some of it bad, false, or poorly presented; incoherent or just trivial.

What it is good for, is getting a consensus of the collective consciousness of participants.  Yes, there is a trend of virtue-signaling circlejerks, hate circlejerks, and dogpiling on perceived offenders.

What it is great for, is getting access to investigative reporting and grassroots breaking news on topics that the (US) media at large won't even acknowledge.

i still think it sucks that DayZ communicates more via twitter than any other platform, and I don't find very much value in their tweets, but there is some good stuff out there.

My two cents from someone who initially abhorred the idea of using Twitter.  And yes, it is mostly morons and self-important people wanting attention; but there is some value to be found.  Oops.

Edited by emuthreat
comma to semicolon

On Twitter you only ever have to put up with people in small doses. That goes a long way with me.

13 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I was initially pretty pissed that I *had to* start using twitter to get new information about DayZ. But over the course of a few months, random stuff on my feed slowly got to be more interesting and relevant as I followed things that caught my attention.  Mainly journalists an

<<

I was initially pretty pissed that I *had to* start using twitter to get new information about DayZ, But over the course of a few months, random stuff on my feed slowly got to be more interesting and relevant as I followed things that caught my attention.  Mainly journalists an

>>

sorry mate 280 chars. You have reached max TWEET length.

Thanx for your contribution and. ..  er

LIKE  👍

Edited by pilgrim*

9 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

<<

I was initially pretty pissed that I *had to* start using twitter to get new information about DayZ, But over the course of a few months, random stuff on my feed slowly got to be more interesting and relevant as I followed things that caught my attention.  Mainly journalists an

>>

sorry mate 280 chars. You have reached max TWEET length.

Thanx for your contribution and. ..  er

LIKE  👍

A lot of the time, people will post a header with a link to a full article, or an image of written document, which you can read as you wish.  Often people will tweet larger ideas by ending each 280 char with /1, /2, etc.  It's not my favorite thing to see, but it works.

But hey, the whole internet is just a fad anyways, I'm sure twitter will also go the way of color television and the microwave oven; new technology never sticks around too long. /s

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

A lot of the time, people will post a header with a link to a full article, or an image of written document, which you can read as you wish.  Often people will tweet larger ideas by ending each 280 char with /1, /2, etc.  It's not my favorite thing to see, but it works.

But hey, the whole internet is just a fad anyways, I'm sure twitter will also go the way of color television and the microwave oven; new technology never sticks around too long. /s

Yeah. There's a nice community of DayZ players I'm interacting with a lot on twitter, so it is not entirely without virtue. There is room for goofing around and fun. Ranting idiots, orange presidents and other unwanted elements are easy enough to banish from your timeline.

I've set it up so the only account that triggers notifications for me on that platform is @DayZ. You can make an egg account, follow DayZ and nobody else, activate notifications and you'll know when they tweet shit without ever being bothered by the rest of twitter.

Including the orange guy.

Has anyone signed up to get this insta gram?, and what is it a gram of?...😂 ..is it any good??,  fyi anyone signs up 1000 times Ill givem 2.2 insta pounds... 🤣, anywho im off to lick some mushroom backs in black forest...👽🤡 reeeeeeee!!

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Has anyone signed up to get this insta gram?, and what is it a gram of?...😂 ..is it any good??,  fyi anyone signs up 1000 times Ill givem 2.2 insta pounds... 🤣, anywho im off to lick some mushroom backs in black forest...👽🤡 reeeeeeee!!

Haha brilliant 

On 8/1/2019 at 3:45 AM, emuthreat said:

But over the course of a few months, random stuff on my feed slowly got to be more interesting and relevant as I followed things that caught my attention. 

That's how they reel you in. First you do it out of necessity then something semi interesting catches you'r eye and before you know it, you're throwing 240 character long racist slurs posts back and forth with feminists.

Twitter.. Twitter never changes. 

2 hours ago, benedictus said:

back and forth with feminists.

I LIKE feminists but I ain't going to TWEET for them.

Hey, goldfish !

SERIOUSLY  ..

@Derleth
@emuthreat

and YOU OTHERS  .. ( I know you're there ) .. and I was CONVINCED you had measurable IQs 

Can you TELL me in real words  = take your time - you have SPACE here to express QUITE COMPLICATED things ..

Just tell me what EFFING bit of EFFING "information" you have EVER got off the EFFING DayZ EFFING twitter page ( that OK?  You understand ? That was about Tweet length, right? )

- OK I guess it's FUN if you're Brain Dead ?

Like .. tell me if I'm wrong -  SOMEONE would have to be Paid to "SOMETIMES" oversee or check up on moods, reactions, input, on this FORUM full of "terrifyingly intelligent committed PLAYERS"  and to write official INFORMATION from BI here, on the Official DayZ Communication Forum and even sometimes REPLY in meaningful whole paragraphs to a question or a suggestion or a proposal ??  It could EVEN require coherent Legal or Technical or POSSIBLY Detailed input ! - or maybe just a few lines on the Official Forum to say almost nothing at all.. Still, someone would have to DO that. 
So how much do you Pay someone to send an EFFING zero-content TWEET instead ??  

sorry - I dont mean "zero" content, I mean DELIBERATELY-designed almost-stunningly-totally-zilch "content" that would not tax the brain of a 3 day old budgerigar (Melopsittacus undulatus) .. ya know? A baby budgie that hasn't got round YET to working out it will ONE DAY eat seeds if it ever grows up & becomes ADULT and gets REAL intelligent.

So WHAT have you learned from your DayZ official twitter feed?  Give us the instant lowdown on what's REALLY going on, you get it direct, right ?

AND you can tweet other DayZ players without having to mess with your tiny short attention span ? AND they tweet you right back.. that's Sooooooooooooo  =FUN=  !!!

OK, I get it.. you are NOT  DayZ forum followers or contributors.. you don't actually get INVOLVED in this DayZ <the REAL GAME>

- are you ALL in fact ..  MINI DayZ players  !!

secretly?

Edited by pilgrim*
~

@pilgrim*

I’ll tell you what I’ve learned from my time on both the forum and Twitter.

DayZ devs don’t consider forum users their ‘player base’. They consider us the ‘hardcore few’.

Player bases are dim-witted, drooling, ZOMBIES who could never understand something like a complex medical system.

That’s the part where Twitter comes in. 

I’m not bitter (I’m on Twitter)

Edited by ThePugman
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure where else to find this information, and speaking honestly, it might be just a tad inconvenient to find this same information on these here forums; as it would likely be buried in two or three different places.  In this case, server issues, free giveaways, and console update status were all in sequence on their feed.

Easy, accessible, concise.

Now, I'm not saying that I support their move to twitter as a main means of communicating with the fanbase.  I would much prefer that their tweets were a short descriptive header and a link to the full text on this site. 

Putting out short, informative snippets is in no way an excuse to not communicate more thoroughly and completely on these forums.

They are not mutually exclusive, but BI seems to be acting that way at times; which is a shame.

Edited by emuthreat

56 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

I'm not sure where else to find this information

OK - this is how the Bohemia Interactive Official DayZ Forum works :

See ? 

I think the forum has taken a leap forward here :

It's being used by people who cant find information on twitter to tell folk where to find the information  on twitter

This is more dynamic that using the forum merely to discuss DayZ directly  - AND it seems keeps the punters coming back to announce the twitter info, to check who has read the twitter info, to get a link so they can go and read it on twitter themselves,  or to ask each other if there has been any,  in case they were on twitter but they couldn't find it.

xxp 

I always did like a good Rube Goldberg machine....

But seriously, we are on the same page here, mostly.  I'd like to see them use the forums as the primary means of communication too, but I don't have an ideological aversion to Twitter.

And if we are being honest, it is very well-known and openly discussed among the DayZ reddit that the perception of these forums is a best a fanboy echo-chamber/draconian PR tool that squelches "free speech" about the game.

Communication has gotten a bit ridiculous regarding DayZ in the past year.  Your example posts above pretty much exemplify the problem with their lack of support for their own platform; and I'm sure you've seen me chime in about this same thing in the past.

• Beans 1

22 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Hey, goldfish !

SERIOUSLY  ..

@Derleth
@emuthreat

and YOU OTHERS  .. ( I know you're there ) .. and I was CONVINCED you had measurable IQs 

Can you TELL me in real words  = take your time - you have SPACE here to express QUITE COMPLICATED things ..

Just tell me what EFFING bit of EFFING "information" you have EVER got off the EFFING DayZ EFFING twitter page ( that OK?  You understand ? That was about Tweet length, right? )

- OK I guess it's FUN if you're Brain Dead ?

It's quick, and it is straight from the horse's mouth so to say, and when - for example - the DayZ devs post something they usually include a link to this very forum, where the main post with patch notes etc is located. It is true that twitter, like all social media (I won't mention any), is full of utter umptards, raving lunatics, orange presidents and their cultists and other hostile internet trolls, but the key here is that it is very easy to ignore all that and only follow those people and/or companies that you want to see and nothing else. Plus, it is really not necessary - so if you get bored with it you just don't use it. 

I keep it mainly because, for whatever reason, the DayZ devs have decided to use it as their main news outlet and I've encountered a number of other DayZ players who are NOT utter umptards, so it is possible to have actual conversations (if you run out of those 280 characters you write another tweet...), ask questions and get answers and find links to sites that do NOT have that 280 character limitation. All in all it is pretty harmless unless you actively seek out the trolls.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, Derleth said:

It's quick  ..//.. ask questions and get answers and find links to sites that do NOT have that 280 character limitation.

OK it's bl00dy quick - I appreciate your point of view .. and of course no blog in the universe could send instant mails to your app (except all of them) to inform you of Official Forum announcements  .. BI can only do that for ads,  they dont have the TECHNOLOGY to do that for their Official Forum Announcements (return of the Six Million Dollar Man, play theme tune) =  And there's no way a Dev could use an app to send an Announcement direct to the DayZ forum.; that's technically soooooooooo oooooo oooooo  XompliCA te d  ! !

AND on twitter you can find links to to sites that do NOT have 280 character limitation
.. for instance
.. er .. links to the DayZ Forum ?

whatever  .. so meantime back in what is virtually our Reality

Here's a old-style LINK to a real-time August 2019 vid
               Twitter  v  the DayZ Forum
Note the really-really obvious Technology Gap -  AND the New Tech Player soooooooo does NOT go over his 280 char limit !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVYGHHc0Es4

I think "Let's see what he does with the Wall of Rock" should be our motto for the future ?

Edited by pilgrim*
~
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

OK it's bl00dy quick - I appreciate your point of view .. and of course no blog in the universe could send instant mails to your app (except all of them) to inform you of Official Forum announcements  .. BI can only do that for ads,  they dont have the TECHNOLOGY to do that for their Official Forum Announcements (return of the Six Million Dollar Man, play theme tune) =  And there's no way a Dev could use an app to send an Announcement direct to the DayZ forum.; that's technically soooooooooo oooooo oooooo  XompliCA te d  ! !

AND on twitter you can find links to to sites that do NOT have 280 character limitation
.. for instance
.. er .. links to the DayZ Forum ?

whatever  .. so meantime back in what is virtually our Reality

Here's a  real-time August 2019 vid of   Twitter  v  the DayZ Forum
Note the obvious Technology Gap -  AND the New Tech Player does NOT go over his 280 char limit !

https://youtu.be/IVYGHHc0Es4

I think "Let's see what he does with the Wall of Rock" should be a motto for the future ?

Hahaha gods below I never saw that. You are quite nuts you know? I like it!

As for Twitter vs forum: There is no logic to it, so looking for logic will only drive you crazy. If I remember correctly it was kinda slow to take off the first years of its existence - because what is the bloody point of a blog where you can only write 140 characters, right? Totally reasonable hesitation on the part of its (non)users to be fair.

Anyway, I enjoy mouthing off with other DayZ players on it, and once in a while you get sucked into a discussion about some totally unrelated (yet interesting) subject.

And if it was shut down and deleted today I wouldn't really miss it...

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1