Joseph Childree

Can we please stop the dev hate

They do so much for the thousands of us already and they are less than 20 I think, what gives anyone the right to be so hateful to the people trying to make our dream game perfect. STOP THE HATE/SPREAD THE LOVE!

22 minutes ago, Joseph Childree said:

the people trying to make our dream game perfect

I think a lot of the hate has been because this statement seems to feel less and less like their intentions...

1 hour ago, Joseph Childree said:

...they are less than 20 I think...

According to the November 2018 Status Report, Eugen said the number of people working on DayZ at that time was 86 and that the team was going to remain intact for 2019.  Obviously, that hasn't been the case, since the main faces we were seeing then (Eugen, Peter, Baty, etc.) have all departed, but you're telling us the team has actually reduced by more than 60 people since then?  I'd be interested to know your source on that.

It's not so much hate as it's disappointment.  The "dream game" would have essentially been all features and content of .62 recreated on the current engine, performing better than ever, with perhaps a few new features that were originally intended for the game but never made it into any previous version.  They've told us feature parity is no longer possible though, so, there goes the dream game as far as I'm concerned.

I don't hate them for it, though.  It's just a shame that the result is a watered-down version of what DayZ used to be.  They did their best I guess and now we hope for some cool mods still to come.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joseph Childree said:

They do so much for the thousands of us already and they are less than 20 I think, what gives anyone the right to be so hateful to the people trying to make our dream game perfect. STOP THE HATE/SPREAD THE LOVE!

20?

First off, Bohemia is NOT an indie studio. It's almost 100 people working on DayZ, then they got teams for Arma and Vigor. 

I'm guessing around 250 employees. 

Just because BI is selfpublished and go their own way does not mean they are indie and that just a few poor souls are working night and day to please us spoiled gamers.... 

The "hate" comes from paying customers who bought an unfinished product for full price, customers who get ignored, customers who gets the silent treatment. 

This industry is a billion dollar industry with false PR, lies and empty promises. Pre-orders being put up 1 one year before release to help fund the development, game previews and early access that basically mean that you pay money to beta test their product but without any real say or possibility to change the early stages in development. 

Now... All of us that are here, whining and argueing, spreading "hate", all of us are here because we care and love the game. 90% of us can stand the crashes, bugs, glitches and so on.... because we love the game. 

But for being there, helping out, paying to beta test, buying the game on several platforms, buying dlc and so on.. we atleast want transparency and communication. The silent treatment is far worse than to go out there and admit that you screwed up or that these features will be removed or no solution to this or that problem.. that would feel more like we were a part and most of us would accept and forgive. 

The fun part is that a lot of people (younger ones maybe?) and especially fanboys believe that game companies is a bunch of guys sitting around a small office coding and laughing all day, drinking jolt cola. 

This is an industry with team leaders, human relations, accountants, lawyers, ceo's, board of directory, bonds and so on. A corporation out to earn millions. 

I will sign off with this from Wikipedia:

There is no exact, widely accepted definition of what constitutes an "indie game" besides falling well outside the bounds of triple-A video game development by large publishers and development studios.[7][8][9][10] However, indie games generally share certain common characteristics. Indie games are developed by individuals, small teams, or small independent companies that are often specifically formed for the development of one specific game.[8][11][12] Typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles.

Arma series is not small nor is DayZ. 

They made millions and millions on these two franchise's /games. 

7 hours ago, MetalHead2112 said:

They have nobody but themselves to blame for this.

Yup, and Yup. Couldn't have said it better.

I don't hate the devs, but what's the problem with adding back at least some of the core mechanics? Furthermore, what's the problem with adding more guns and items? Just use community's help, there are lots of willing modders. The game's been out for how long now? How much copies it sold? How much money it made? Just finish it already, stop making games about aliens (although I don't really mind that).

@haxordie The ‘games about aliens’ is DLC for Arma 3.. a game that had been worked on for much longer than DayZ SA.

DayZ has been in development for nearly 7 years. It’s sold a lot of copies, but still probably not enough to throw a huge amount of resources behind it for THAT long. I assume you know that the engine changed during this time. Hence the lack of content now.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:16 AM, Joseph Childree said:

I see you like some others that want to stick to the dev butts while they seat dont read the forums enough cos if you did you would see there is mostly constructive criticism in regards to their efforts, yes there is a few shite heads having a full blown whinge who are on their monthlys but they get ignored, as for how many devs working on DayZ,.. its around 80 last I heard not 20. And to register on the forum just to say that is not impressive nor constructive, its fuel for the fire of the mischievous and really useless u wasted the space for a good topic. Im sure each of us constructive critics here put our work in on the forum by way of bug reports and community opinions etc.. Bent.toe has good points to reference btw, Remember this game is at an age where if it were a child would be in early years of primary school, when we started playing this game it wasnt long been out my eldest was just starting secondary school,  now has a job making good money and hardly plays the game anymore, we used to play tonnes together on this game, but time changes things, such is life.

I, like most here want the game to be jam packed with features new and old on regular basis (at least bi monthly) to keep up the "love" at the level it was when we started playing, when excitement filled promises were made to raise the hopes of us all that the completion is near, if this doesnt happen we loose "faith" and "trust" in the words spoken with comparison to action done/not done to realize for the most the game is a partially filled shell founded on empty promises that devour the hopes and dreams of many a fresh spawn and raise more disappointment in a seasoned player.

The Expansion Mod that is coming soon... that should of been the mass content update for the game, given not all of it is essential survival aspects needed for the game, but features like helis, power grid of sorts, weapon additions etc.. I Struggle to even use mods as Im not a big fan of them (mainly because we cant run them serverside only and all clients need the same mod to join bs), but it shows it can be done and as reference the amount of time it was done in is what im mainly talking about, and thats under 10 guys working on that.

We just want content introduced on a regular basis to show us that it really is growing towards an expected state for the age its at.

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS

Don't think I've ever hated developers of any game to be honest. I'm a dev myself and although no longer involved in games, I know exactly the sorts of pressures (both realistic and unrealistic) placed on them. "People on the Internet", in general, don't and use the sorts of terms they use when trolling or baiting people on social media. Primarily because they know they face no consequences no matter how harsh, insulting or threatening they get.

There needs to be room for criticism though.

The problem for DayZ is that we were asked to hold back that criticism until the new engine was developed, with the trade off that with that new engine will come all that we were wanting. The community waited nigh on a year and a half and the new engine was developed, and it's lovely too, I certainly can't fault it. However the things that were supposed to be re-added to the game were not, and what's worse we now have an official press release that not only said, "see all those things you wanted, yeah, we're not doing them", but went onto say, "even then, you are stupid for wanting them because the previous iteration of them was broken".

The problem is Bohemia here, they are the ones that dictate the finances and finances dictate the work done, it's really as simple as that. They have taken the decision to stop funding it to the same extent, this (I presume) wasn't a developer decision. However the press release, which was one of the worst I have ever seen to be honest, was so badly worded and so insulting to it's user base that I can totally understand the backlash. If, perhaps, the press release had been honest about the whole thing, "Look, we've tried, we're going to pass a lot off to the modders and get them to complete what everyone wants because it's just not financially viable for us to continue to develop what we consider a 6 year old game" then perhaps the community would have been more accepting of it.

This leaves us in the position of frustration and doubt, we don't know what will be added (if anything) or how long bug fixes will continue for, and this state of affairs is (again) solely down to Bohemia. Yet on the other hand there is development being put in on Survivor Gamez (yes it's a different team but it's the same IP). I don't blame the devs, I just wish that whoever was communicating the forward plans for DayZ had realised they had painted themselves and us into a corner here.

Edited by rickyriot

I don't hate on the devs I hate on the owners of Bohemia for refusing to put real manpower into these games, they've chosen to come out with multiple games at the same time while they have under 350 employees

They're currently working on 5 games (that we know of) and 1 of those games is across three platforms

If the owners put more effort into hiring more devs we would have better working games.

Every game Bohemia has produced has been a total buggy mess. That's because there isn't enough devs working. The owners only care about making money.

17 hours ago, ThePugman said:

@haxordie The ‘games about aliens’ is DLC for Arma 3.. a game that had been worked on for much longer than DayZ SA.

DayZ has been in development for nearly 7 years. It’s sold a lot of copies, but still probably not enough to throw a huge amount of resources behind it for THAT long. I assume you know that the engine changed during this time. Hence the lack of content now.

DayZ has sold more copies then Arma has since it came out on console.

Let's be honest tho none of there game work properly Arma 2 and 3 are buggy messes 

HATE? maybe even more for me.I feel  sca...

born as a survival game. now it's just a shooter. no survival mechanics. the few that were there have all been removed! arma2 was a thousand times better. They would first declare that they no longer want to work and leave everything to the modders. which are light years away with helicopters and AI missions.

Unfortunately, the demand of people is also bringing this game to ruin. 99% of private servers have loot 2 4 6 8 10x with 100 mods of weapons. and nothing of survival. it would be enough to put the mod that adds the viruses and the relative treatments, remove 90% of food and water and make them as at the beginning rot, so that agriculture would make sense. instead now it's all weapons (soon also bazooka) trader etc etc has nothing to do with this game. it is a arma2 with better graphics but 

at least you didn't fly them when you used the car xD. 

I think it is the most abused game you remember. he is still alive only thanks to the memories of the mod of arma2 and to the modders

I think the big problem of stopping the development of new content for DayZ - is that they gave a lot of effort to supporting the PS4 and XBOX platforms