Sign in to follow this  
kubikiri

Current PA system sound causes Delayed Auditory Feedback

I searched to see if this had been mentioned yet, i could not find any mention of this,

I also created a bug report for this issue here: https://feedback.bistudio.com/T142410

But I don't think anyone's responded to it.

From the Wiki page: Indirect effects of delayed auditory feedback in non-stutterers include reduction in rate of speech, increase in intensity, and increase in fundamental frequency in order to overcome the effects of the feedback.[7] Direct effects include repetition of syllables, mispronunciations, omissions, and omitted word endings. These direct effects are often referred to as “artificial stuttering”

The phenomenon is so effective at stopping people from speaking that there are companies developing devices to replicate this effect to essentially jam public speakers.  https://www.extremetech.com/computing/120583-new-speech-jamming-gun-hints-at-dystopian-big-brother-future

Please, please, please fix this, as I'd like to utilize the PA system for some in-game events and the delay is making it nearly impossible to speak.

• Also my bug report, features another bug where after you stop using the PA and turn it off, AND remove the battery, you continue to hear the voice-delay until you log out and log back in.

Just kind of desperate since it didn't seem like anyone has responded to my bug report.  And I did check with the server (UN) and their PA system "is vanilla".

Love the idea behind the PA system, just need the delay to be shortend so it's more of a slight reverb and not a half second delay.

Thanks DayZ!

Edited by kubikiri

Yeah, they introduced it in 1.03 or 1.04 to kind of tell you when you were successfully broadcasting somewhere in game, but it really screwed with my ability to speak properly. For radios, PA systems and megaphones, I think that adding something akin to the system of TFAR from Arma 3 would be good, as in you hear your voice instantly (or near instantly) with a kind of filter after speaking into it

• Like 1

cool! thanks for seconding this, and adding in that surprisingly informative, and well written information

• Thanks 1