ImpulZ

Status Report - July 2019

2 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

There’s no modding on Xbox, period. Microsoft doesn’t allow it.

Really? Care to explain all those PC modded content on farming sim 17/19? For both xbox and ps4.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tom_48_97 said:

In light of the responses to our recent Status Report, we would like to clarify some details we didn't make clear, and answer some of the most apparent concerns from the community.

We don't intend to reopen past topics nor debate what was said (and promised) over the years, but rather focus on the future of DayZ and highlight a few facts. Of course, the trajectory of the project has been adjusted several times over the years, and our communication didn't reflect these changes. For this, we sincerely apologize.

Q: Why not announce the upcoming features?
A: The current development cycle doesn't allow us to communicate too far ahead of an update as we keep our schedule flexible, because anything can – and does – happen, and we need to be able to effectively deal with any unforeseen developments. For example, the duping and other database-related issues have taken up a lot of our time. We keep exploring and experimenting with what features and content we can revive in this post-release period, however, sometimes these ventures are unsuccessful.

While some features won't come back this year, we want to assure you that feature development hasn't stopped. For example, we are currently working on the comeback of vaulting, together with the introduction of climbing.

dayzClimbing.jpg

Q: What are the gains and consequences of the new engine?
A: The two core issues we faced at the start of development were security and performance – highlighted by both us and the community as the focus of our efforts moving forward. Those issues were never going to be fixed using the previous technology (RV). The decision to move to a new engine was mainly based on these two limitations, and this effort led to the creation of Enfusion (and its future iterations). It's very easy to forget just how broken the game really was back then, with this being a major factor behind delays. To break free from the chains of these technological limitations, we had to replace the script language and its engine to massively improve the performance and security of the game, as well as the renderer, which was a large contributor to the poor performance.

However, we underestimated the amount of effort needed and thus dug a hole too deep to get out of. This meant we had to rewrite almost all of the gameplay elements from scratch, losing features and variation along the way. It's important to remember that there was no real way to iterate and improve in these areas on the old technology. Therefore, we were left with basically two choices: live with performance/security issues, and slightly improve them while expanding the gameplay, or go back to the drawing board and figure out the new baseline, but lose stuff in the process. We chose the latter...

Was this the right choice? The new engine has dramatically improved the game (performance, authoritative server, persistence, etc.) and paved the way for our future developments.

Q: Feature parity with pre- and post-beta?
A: While we all wanted to get there, it is clear that it isn't possible due to the above changes. The pre-beta was an elaborate and extended alpha of the game, but we had to cut it down to a manageable piece for its release, ergo many features have been relayed to the post-release backlog.

Q: Will the rest of the year be only about fixing?
A: Bug-fixing will be our main priority – to stabilize the game for new content and mechanics. However, we are also working on new content for the core game; we're just not yet ready to specify any details.

Q: Incoming DLC, paid content, and features?
A: The paid DLC mentioned in the Status Report isn't Survivor GameZ. And as Tim wrote, no features nor pieces of content will be behind a paywall. If anything, they will be released as part of the supporting update of the game.

While we aren't ready to share details and specifics, as hinted on Twitter, the central piece is a new terrain, and it isn't Namalsk. 

Q: Team changes, new leadership, etc.?
A: Yes, some key project people have left the team to venture new territories, but all their roles are covered – mostly by people who have worked on DayZ for years. It's just that not everyone likes being as public as Eugen or Peter have been.

Q: What about the limited communication over the past months?
A: With the release of DayZ, we decided to focus the communication on facts, and avoid any over-promising. It resulted in a smaller volume of information – more open to speculation but more accurate – and left out things which weren't yet ready (yes, issues might've occurred since the release). Our communication will keep evolving and improving this year and beyond.

Q: Private servers for consoles?
A: We are preparing them in close cooperation with our partners and will communicate more as soon as we solidify the specifics. Feel free to share your questions here; we will include them in the FAQ we're currently putting together.

THIS is the exact kind of COMMUNICATION WE NEED!!! Thank you very much Tom. I appreciate the underpromise-overdeliver approach very much. The only problem with the status report is that it touched on alot of subjects and hinted things leading to alot of speculation so that's the only thing I feel that needs to be cut back on. Facts only, like you said. Thanks again for the once again detailed explanation. This is very reassuring, important and a great service to a loyal and passionate community! Keep on!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Just Caused said:

I'll be VERY dissapointed if paid DLC comes out before all features that we had are delivered. To me thatll look like a serious cash grab to get as much out of DayZ as possible and go fund ARMA4.

You haven't even finished game yet, don't think about DLC... 

As mentioned by @Tom_48_97 the DLC is mostly terrain based, meaning it is most likely going to be a map. The terrain builders in the dev-team don't have anything to do with the feature development or other pieces of content and as such are doing what they do. Build terrain. Thus, in my eyes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with releasing a new map as DLC. On the contrary I find it fantastic and am looking forward to the refreshing experience. It's quite the positive surprise. The feature development and map creating aren't excluding each other. They go side by side.

• Beans 2

I have a group on Xbox with over 200 players that have wanted to rp since its been released on console. Due the games issues, i had to put it on hold while you guys sorted the game out. Respect btw!  Anyway I would really like to know more about the private servers.. how is it going to work?

Ok Im frikkin blown away!.... Big thanks @ImpulZ  @Tom_48_97 for the much needed information,

No paid DLC -- sweet good to hear

Bug fixing  -- Always good to hear, Always..

Iterations of weapons returning to game -- excellent!.. I miss the AUG, please make the AUG next to be put back in game...

Vaulting returning and added climbing -- oh sweet juicy boiled pears I love it, yum yum

Bring the broken bones and diseases in early and you sir id break my limbs for and get gangrene,

Also add the carrying character and dragging/crawling with broken limbs, and Id carry myself across the map for the sake of it with said broken limbs and gangrene, no morphine of course, what you take me for?.

Keep up the pace and if things go well speed it up a little bit,.. jus a lil bit.. Great job all the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

No paid DLC -- sweet good to hear

: The paid DLC mentioned in the Status Report isn't Survivor GameZ.

There will be a paid DLC at the end of the year. 

8 hours ago, Tom_48_97 said:

Q: Incoming DLC, paid content, and features?

A: The paid DLC mentioned in the Status Report isn't Survivor GameZ. And as Tim wrote, no features nor pieces of content will be behind a paywall. If anything, they will be released as part of the supporting update of the game.

While we aren't ready to share details and specifics, as hinted on Twitter, the central piece is a new terrain, and it isn't Namalsk.

13 minutes ago, exwoll said:

There will be a paid DLC at the end of the year. 

No read it correctly, "no features nor pieces of content will be behind a paywall" 😎

If there is a Paid DLC at the end of year, I wont be paying for it.

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS
  • Like 1

But there will still be a paid DLC lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, bent.toe said:

Go private server yeti? 

Really depends on what the private server options are, if there's a kill feed or accessible admin kill log, with good 24/7 admins to report exploiting players too then I'm down to play. But without solid server admin functions like being able to perma ban gamer tags & see who killed who, when & where then it wont make a single difference. also being able to see who is logging in & out & how often to stop duplication & ban people accordingly. All of this needs to be functional as well as said private server having that 24/7 admin that can be contacted.  I just wish they'd introduce instant deletion of all items held in the hands on logout or disconnection, itd suck if you get de-sycned but i'd rather that than have any form of duplication.

10 hours ago, Tom_48_97 said:

The paid DLC mentioned in the Status Report

But there IS paid DLC coming up? You guys have got some nerve. Wow. 

Thank you for the Q and A.

But one thing stands out, as I thought this was addressed just around the corner moving into .62 and beyond.

On 7/17/2019 at 8:26 AM, Tom_48_97 said:

For example, the duping and other database-related issues have taken up a lot of our time. We keep exploring and experimenting with what features and content we can revive in this post-release period, however, sometimes these ventures are unsuccessful.

Wasn't there a proposed fix for duping back at the start of 0.62, wherein items would be issued a unique ID number upon spawning, to reconcile with the database?  I remember reading about *some kind* of measures taken to combat duping, and the practical experience was that duped stashed could be wiped.

I'm armchair quarterbacking here, but was the new engine somehow NOT built in such a manner that each Item (or specifically gun/grenade/landmine, or other high-impact/high-value item) could be assigned a tag?

Tag each item with an ID containing date/time/server/coordinates relating to when it is *created* and spawned.  Upon server reset, the persistence database can reconcile all items against tags and delete all duplicate items.  Yes, there will be collateral damage in some cases, but people will learn this and come to shun duping and dupers.

Yes, accidental duping is a thing, but if you state all known duping methods, and work hard on fixing the most casually/innocently caused cases, the majority of the HONEST playerbase will come to understand that deleted character or storage inventory was an avoidable error.

Is this is this not possible?  Why is this not possible??!??

I really can't understand why this hasn't been fixed. Any further insight that doesn't compromise playability would be greatly appreciated by all.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

Thank you for the update! Keep that happening, we love this game, support us to support you. Much like Arma I've never had an issue with dlc's being released to endorse additional content and a $ injection.

A quick 1.04 update: we will carry out a complete server and character wipe, and will introduce private servers

Q: Private servers for consoles?
A: We are preparing them in close cooperation with our partners and will communicate more as soon as we solidify the specifics. Feel free to share your questions here; we will include them in the FAQ we're currently putting together.

Does this mean private servers will be released on console with 1.04?

I had to stop playing the game because it's been ruined by dupers and coast campers killing noobs. Just waiting on private servers now.

The new Project Lead (whoever it is) and the new Community Manager just started with a shitstorm. Sad. But thats why the job is not easy. They have to learn from it and they will.

Devs: Dont comment any further but start working and talk in your internal meetings about it. Get to the right conclusions (f.e. rebalance your own internal To-Do and inplement an "advanced medical" system with broken bones) Aim for 1.05 or 1.06. Make sure you make another Status Report and publish the decision based on the feedback and show everybody that you do listen to your fanbase - the community will be happy again. If not - why do you think the rating in the Steam store was positive in the past few weeks? Even if the game is good -  this is worth nothing when the community is angry about the development. If the community is angry about the development the rating WILL DROP AGAIN. Just dont fuck with the community and work hard. Like Eugen and the other did. If the rating is good - sales are, too.

Edited by andro_dawton

On 7/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, azimov said:

Another thing:

Why make a new engine that is capable of less then the previous one? One that can't achieve parity? Are we talking incompetence here? Or is Bohemia sick of funneling money into the game and trying to hide that fact behind a veil of impossibility?

Isn't this engine supposed to be used for ArmA 4?

I believe the change in engines might be to accomodate consoles ? I might be wrong but it might be a reason between many.

15 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

There’s no modding on Xbox, period. Microsoft doesn’t allow it.

It's quite the contrary actually

- Elder Scrolls V skyrim

- Fallout 4

- Surviving Mars

- Cities Skyline

Those a few games that i know on Xbox One where mod support is fully supported, specially the first two mentioned, where the mod support is the best.

This is not the case with Sony, they do indeed are very restricted, you can see on Skyrim and Fallout 4, where the mod support on PS4 is extremely lackluster and it's a shadow of the Xbox version.

Edited by MarczXD320

1 hour ago, MarczXD320 said:

I believe the change in engines might be to accomodate consoles ? I might be wrong but it might be a reason between many.

From what they said, they had pretty much reached the limits of the old engine. The new engine makes the game look a million times better. Performance is miles ahead. There is obviously still a lot of tweaking to do, but it will only improve. Just have a look at the difference between early builds of the old engine and .62 (the last legacy build). I can only imagine how good this new engine will look and perform in a few more years. 

Console ports were always on the cards, so while changing engines, they made the gameplay mechanics more console-friendly. Arguably, it's better though. Rather than click a mouse to perform an action, you move items to your hands and hold down a button. It makes the player feel more in control.

Also, in response to the other guy. I don't think it's a case of them not being able to put the same features on the new engine. It's more that it will take time. As the last status update said, it was more difficult than they imagined, so they have had to dedicate a lot of their resources to optimising and performance. 

8 hours ago, acewhittles said:

Wouldn't a map be a piece of content?

Yes but it's also never in the scope of the original planned content/features. When development starts you have a list of items (features/content/other), like a requirements document or in the case of video game development - a GDD, that become in scope for the software development cycle. Things get prioritised, or moved out of scope in this document. An example of a feature that was originally in scope, but got moved out of scope is helicopters. Anyway that being the case, anything that was originally planned was also budgeted for in terms of resourcing/time etc.

If the new content is a new map, it was never part of the original requirements, completely separate and thus required new budgeting for resourcing/time etc. This I have no problem with, because realistically if something new that was never originally budgeted for is created, it costs the company money and thus the consumer should have to pay for it, but that is also completely up to the company's discretion to do so.

However if the new content is somehow a content/feature that was originally planned in the requirements, then yes everyone should be annoyed.

• Beans 2

On 7/17/2019 at 1:12 AM, -Gews- said:

I see a lot of people talking about broken bones. But about broken bones: this from Gamescom 2018:

"Fractures are coming after the 1.0 and there will be fractures for the legs and the arms."
—Peter Nespesny

And it's pretty easy to explain breaking your leg. So I'm assuming in the Status Report they are talking about status effects and sickness, and probably the vital organ hitboxes as well (added a bunch of organs... then ended up disabling all of them... oof).

They have said many things , that they have later found to be an issue internally and then changed their minds on.. that's why we rarely hear from them now, why the never say such things or give dates .. cause all it has done, is to bring more screaming users ..so they decided to just say much of nothing until it was released.  They meant well when they made the statements .. but the follow through has been not so much in many areas.
Me Id rather promise less as they have alluded to in the report .. and then later "SURPRISE !" we did it after all

On 7/16/2019 at 11:40 AM, ImpulZ said:

this system is obviously already way more complicated than many other games out there offer, making it more difficult to grasp for newcomers, and to a certain degree frustrating if even balanced slightly wrong.

What about adding a medical tab to explain your characters current medical conditions and treatment options? I think this game being hard is what drew most players towards it, nobody wants a walk in the park.  Additionaly i notice most people left the game because of how buggy it is, not because they couldn't figure out how somethings works, or because something is too hardcore. You guys might aswell go all in instead of trying to cater to both sides, as the casual side isn't exactly a crowd that would be interested in this game to begin with or for long, and if they are then i don't see why they wouldn't enjoy more hardcore systems, as long as theres a way to understand them  (i.e, a medical tab).

• Like 4