ImpulZ

Status Report - July 2019

@Tom_48_97, @ImpulZ

I only have a two realtively simple questions:

- Will the bone mechanics return?

- Will we see more of the classic weapons like the Revolver, Double Barrel and Trumpet?

Now for more complicated question that I don't expect an answer to at this time; can you please consider some changes to the current party chat system, other titles like Battlefield and Rec Room allow you to still hear people regardless of if you're in party or not and whilst this is still one-way communication it'd be a welcome improvement.

Edited by The Road Warrior (DayZ)
  • Confused 1

How can you think this is a right thing to have at THIS stage an havent you thought about the reaction of your player base, i highly doubt it will get received well in any way. We dont know what it will be but go dammit, how can this be a thing now

"However, there will be a paid DLC at the end of the year (which is not Survivor GameZ, nor Namalsk). Regarding that, we stand by our word that no previously promised features will be hidden behind a paywall."

• Beans 1

Its really frustrating to see, in such a short time how you guys can make so many wrong decisions. If you would finally listen to the community who actually stay with you for all the time then you wouldnt get such a backslash all the time and move into the right direction. Your communication went so bad past months, getting so many bad responses because of that but yet you keep it the way you do it now but all we want is that you be open and tell us whats going on from time to time. Its just so sad to see. You could do so much more if you would just talk to us more often and interact. The DLC is just another thing you already can expect a lot of backslash, i really dont understand that.

• Beans 1

17 minutes ago, Just Caused said:

I'll be VERY dissapointed if paid DLC comes out before all features that we had are delivered. To me thatll look like a serious cash grab to get as much out of DayZ as possible and go fund ARMA4.

You haven't even finished game yet, don't think about DLC... 

7 minutes ago, robde92 said:

How can you think this is a right thing to have at THIS stage an havent you thought about the reaction of your player base, i highly doubt it will get received well in any way. We dont know what it will be but go dammit, how can this be a thing now

"However, there will be a paid DLC at the end of the year (which is not Survivor GameZ, nor Namalsk). Regarding that, we stand by our word that no previously promised features will be hidden behind a paywall."

The dlc is a map.... ArmA 3 released a new dlc with a new map (contact dlc)... Using dayz buildings, trees, etc.... Wouldn't surprise me if the ArmA team planned to release this map for dayz as well while dayz is fixing/tweaking and adding stuff. What people don't understand is we don't have just the dayz dev team working on the game. The Survivor Gamez is a seperate team and it looks like this dlc is being produced by a third team. Oh and just as a reminder, arma 3 released with almost nothing but is still being developped today. Don't worry 😉

18 minutes ago, The Road Warrior (DayZ) said:

- Will we see more of the classic weapons like the Revolver, Double Barrel and Trumpet?

They are working on the Revolver and the ArmA team worked on the Blaze 95. So in short, yes don't worry 🙂

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

5 minutes ago, robde92 said:

Its really frustrating to see, in such a short time how you guys can make so many wrong decisions. If you would finally listen to the community who actually stay with you for all the time then you wouldnt get such a backslash all the time and move into the right direction. Your communication went so bad past months, getting so many bad responses because of that but yet you keep it the way you do it now but all we want is that you be open and tell us whats going on from time to time. Its just so sad to see. You could do so much more if you would just talk to us more often and interact. The DLC is just another thing you already can expect a lot of backslash, i really dont understand that.

Why would there be backlash over a new map?

3 minutes ago, Jwalk138 said:

Why would there be backlash over a new map?

Because they want all the promised features to be added first. They don't want new content, they want the old content first and then the new stuff.

Yeah... Welcome to dayz x)

I understand that you may want to simplify the game, as the overcomplicated system in SCUM ruined the game. 

But DayZ is known as THE Survival Game and right now the survival elements are lackluster. Especially the lack of Bone Breaks that made gunfights so much more intense.

I understand over complexity is scary to newcomers but load screen tips could help, and communities are built helping other players, I personally loved teaching my friends the dynamics but now there's so little to worry about. 

As for the forums only showcasing the hardcore players, that's partly true but the bulk of players will return to Apex, CoD or similar once you wipe their duped loot. The duping is both ruining your game for fans but keeping it alive for the casual gamer, please keep that in mind when you see THEIR backlash following the wipe. 

• Beans 3

Please, dont scrap advanced and hardcore medical things. It was one pretty important thing of dayz.  Your game should not become just another Arcade and easy accesible 1 out of 20 games.  Hardcore is what made this game big and stand out of all the other things.

Also.. Please bring back the Pen and Paper?...

And fishing?  use the same animation the barbacueing meat on a stick?

• Beans 8

those who bought the game in early access shouldnt have to pay about dlc anymore...countless of experimentals,countless of stress test build...i have over 1000 hours of dayz and really just few good gameplay session comes to my mind.
80% have been testing status bar behaviours,black face/white face bugs,server perfomances fireplaces behaviour and stuff
few characters i had where i was playing serious...but...
mike, character died when barrel get stuck in his hands...other character get stuck at middle of stone...
we have give you free beta testing and bug fixing for years...no paid DLC

• Like 1

@Tom_48_97

Thanks for the update . The status report was really poorly written in terms of what you wanted to convey, and as someone in reddit stated, instead of telling people "we are keeping up with the development, bringing new stuff", you ended up telling everyone "we can't have what we had in 0.62, we're stopping working on long awaited features (health system), and we will only do bugfixing and tuning from now on, oh, and a bunch of key people left, lel", in other words, we're just dropping the ball on the development of the game. 

You provided a good reply to some concerns, and explained some points that were repeatedly covered before by the now gone devs. However, I think you really should explain in more detail about the following concerns, which as I believe are shared by all the community:

1. What do you guys understand by "parity with 0.62". Which are the features that are either impossible to realize and which ones have a low priority atm?. If the old engine had limitations that made the features it had impossible to implement as you wanted, what does stop you now from implementing them in a placeholder state as it was done before? (for example RNG based fishing) Taking in count that the previous limitations are now gone. It's sincerely really hard to understand how a proprietary engine built specifically to address some issues, isn't actually capable of addressing them?. Because here is where the main issue is.
  2. Was the revamp of the health/injury system totally dropped off?  Or being lowered in priority and postponed for future work? This is/was one of the main future features this game had for a significant portion of the player base, and we just can't get behind the reason explained in the SR. Because the current HS is really basic and pairing to the medical knowledge an average 12yo kid has. I would say that the coherent thing to do would to offer server based difficulty tiers for the medical system, so each community can control how complex they want their health system to be. And let them figure out how to make their player base understand it.  (not mentioning that a simple tutorial and ingame info about the medical system would just do as well in the vanilla game). 
  3. A simple list of considered features would be really enough, no timelines, no goals. Just a list and maybe the status of each (Testing, Planned, Considered, Implemented, Postponed, Non-Possible). It's an extra effort, but everything would be transparent and no one would complain about stuff being missed, it can really be made and programmed by some indian freelancer for like 15$. 
Edited by exwoll
  • Like 5
  • Beans 1

17 minutes ago, exwoll said:

it can really be made and programmed by some indian freelancer for like 15$. 

Not gonna lie, this made me LOL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drgullen said:

Not gonna lie, this made me LOL.

They are a fast and cheap working force, you really should try them for simple but cumbersome tasks :3 

19 hours ago, bent.toe said:

As long as they allow mods for FREE for the consoles i'm a happy man. 

Farming sim is a niche game but have hundreds of mods developed by the PC community and all of them free of charge. 

I hope we pay no more than $15 a month for private servers. I hope these server settings are in:

Server name 

1st/3rd view lock

Password

Kick/ban

Promote admins

Teams (with colored armbands) 

Areas to exclude

Night/day settings

Weather settings 

Number of zombies in areas 

Spawn locations

Excluding items/gear

Thirst/hunger

Vehicle spawn

There’s no modding on Xbox, period. Microsoft doesn’t allow it.

I would like to know if the Bow is being scrapped. I'm new to this game and looking back when it was in game looks very fun to me

43 minutes ago, RussianReavers said:

There’s no modding on Xbox, period. Microsoft doesn’t allow it.

I imagine private servers will have very limited customization. What can you do on PC without mods? 

@Tom_48_97

We appreciate the revised update, but I still don't understand what is so difficult about providing the community a list of INTENDED features yet to come and a list of parity items now off the table.  You can simply add the caveat that the upcoming features list is not to be taken as written in stone and that Bohemia reserves the right to delay or eliminate any item on the list.

At least that would be better than leaving us all to speculate what items we were hoping to have that we may no longer have -- surely you can see that will just lead to more disappointment, can't you?  You guys are like the doctor having to tell the patient that he's dying of an incurable disease -- rather than just come out and say it, he beats around the bush, talking about possible success rates with chemical treatments, physiotherapy, etc.  Just tell me how long I've got, doc!

Please reconsider this decision and publish some list of what we can hope to receive in the future.  Apparently, vaulting/climbing is coming at some point.  Awesome.  What else?

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

14 minutes ago, Crowdolskee said:

I imagine private servers will have very limited customization. What can you do on PC without mods? 

If you are allowed to edit the mission, you can change:

* the loot table characteristics (min/max/locations).

* dynamic events (car spawns, planks, animals, fruit/veg).

* attachments/cargo of  spawned items (zombies/vehicles)

* all spawn locations/coordinates.

* max zombies, dead body cleanup, login/logout time.

So, lots of the environment, but you can't add anything nor tweak mechanics. [edit - well, you can add things in the init.c file like buildings and loadouts, so hmm, maybe some things]

Edited by helpthedeadwalk
  • Like 2

Thank you @Tom_48_97 for the detailed reply. It's communication like this that we need to stop confusion in the community.

However I wanted to ask and if you can clarify:

Therefore, we were left with basically two choices: live with performance/security issues, and slightly improve them while expanding the gameplay, or go back to the drawing board and figure out the new baseline, but lose stuff in the process. We chose the latter...

I assume this means that the comments regarding .62 parity of features etc, that the features themselves in the old technology was originally planned to expanded along side the new engine upgrades. But because of the new scripting language and engine creation, you had to lose these already created features in the old engine and that's why the parity was not possible to be created along side the new engine? And then that also does not mean that the features themselves are being got rid of, but that they need to be completely re-made from scratch in the new engine/scripting language and hence why it will take a long time for us to receive these features? (assuming next year we will start to see these "old" and new features?)

If this is the case, I think such things need to be made way more clearer, as the community misinterprets what is being said as features on roadmaps not being implemented based on the language used. If we see "Parity" was not possible in the new engine, people will assume that the old/planned features in the new engine wouldn't have been possible, rather than the already created features in the old engine could not be carried over to the new engine. I would have originally found it hard to believe that completely new and proprietary technology would not had been possible to create certain features that were possible in archaic and older technology (doesn't make sense).

I again, assume, that this is the case as you follow up with:

Q: Feature parity with pre- and post-beta?
A: While we all wanted to get there, it is clear that it isn't possible due to the above changes. The pre-beta was an elaborate and extended alpha of the game, but we had to cut it down to a manageable piece for its release, ergo many features have been relayed to the post-release backlog.

The last few words seems to mean that basically all the missing features on the old engine, and all the new features to come, are actually coming but in the backlog of which should be coming next year?

Edited by Cravez
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Lt.Master said:

Because they want all the promised features to be added first. They don't want new content, they want the old content first and then the new stuff.

Yeah... Welcome to dayz x)

You make it sound as if the old player base is crazy for not wanting New content over old content..... 

We want no promised features first, we want the old survival mechanics back in place. You know things we had and what made the game. (For us then) 

You have no idea of the bs road BI took. And how fan players slowly turned into sceptic players. 

Yeah...... Welcome to the forums x) 

20 minutes ago, Cravez said:

as the community misinterprets what is being said as features on roadmaps not being implemented based on the language used. If we see "Parity" was not possible in the new engine, people will assume that the new features in the new engine wouldn't have been possible, rather than the already created features in the old engine could not be carried over to the new engine. I would have originally found it hard to believe that completely new and proprietary technology would not had been possible to create certain features that were possible in archaic and older technology (doesn't make sense).

Thats exactly how I interpreted that. That the engine will never be able to reproduce the features. Not that it will not be able to reproduce the old way the features were implemented. If they indeed meant the last one, parity isn't the word they should had used in the SR, nor presented it in that way. 

Edited by exwoll

On 7/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, ImpulZ said:

Dear Survivors!

DayZ is now out on all the major platforms – PC, Xbox, and PS4.

You've probably seen team changes on social networks and are wondering: what's next? Of course, that's only natural, and today we would like to talk about the current issues, the expectations set by both the DayZ Mod and 0.62, and the future of the game.

Consoles

The console updates will always happen after the PC updates – within 3 to 4 weeks of each other. The main reason for this lies with the specifics related to the console submission and review process. It takes 3-7 days for a submitted game to go through review. If it is decided that the build is good to publish, it takes 3 more days to roll the update out to the public. However, if there are any issues flagged as a must-fix by Sony or Microsoft (even ones that could be fixed in an hour), the whole process has to start again.

Because this review process can take so long, we use the readily available PC platform to try new versions early – to check if there are any significant issues we missed (as you know, it happens). This PC testing lets us deliver the console update in a more reliable state and minimizes the chance of re-sending builds for review.

A quick 1.04 update: we will carry out a complete server and character wipe, and will introduce private servers. Also, this update will address some of the current most troublesome issues in the game – duping, server hopping, and frame rates. 

Past, Present, and Future 

Parity with 0.62 and the DayZ Mod – full parity isn't possible because of the engine specifics. While features from 5 years ago are exciting, we want to remind you: most of the features didn't really work properly back then, and this is why it wasn't a final game.

You might question the necessity of a new engine, but for those who took a long break from the game, it's plain to see just how much of a difference it has made. DayZ runs a lot smoother on the new engine. Although it might be hard to notice the change when you play daily, taking a step back should help to highlight many of the improvements that have been made during development. And these improvements are strengthening the game every day. We see it through the steadily increasing player count (even on PC) since March 2019 (public data is here). We see it in Twitch statistics – with more channels streaming the game and more people watching (link to Twitch stats). It might be a far cry away from the numbers of 2013, but for an almost 6-year-old game, it's pretty good! Of course, we will continue to work on DayZ to make everyone's experience better.

Let's take a more detailed look at the game and its future:

• Advanced health system – We improved it in 1.04 and will continue the balancing. However, at this time we will not commit to implementing complex medical/injury gameplay – while this is desired by many hardcore players, we are still struggling to fully explain the complexity of the existing system to the majority of players. Moving forward, we are working on a nice balance between authenticity and accessibility.
  • New content (guns, cars, etc.) – As you know, we have already added some of these. More will follow, but keep in mind that it will depend on how quickly we can achieve this year's goals.
  • Modding support – We will improve the user experience for both modders and players. For example, we will soon bring animation tool support.
  • Stable base building – A large part of this is the matter of balancing, and it's one of our key objectives for the year.

Our focus for DayZ for the rest of 2019 will be: bug fixing, stabilizing, balancing, and modding support.

We also plan to release an official DLC this year (keep your eyes open, and follow us on social media for updates). Additionally, we are currently experimenting with Survivor GameZ (a mod and popular tournament from the past), and will possibly bring this to DayZ as an additional game mode.

About people

It's normal – especially in this industry – to move on after working on a particular project for several years. And after major releases are done is the most likely time to do so. With DayZ, it's no different, and after releasing 1.0 on PC and console, some people are moving onto other projects internally, or leaving the company. It should go without saying that no matter what, these people will always be in the hearts of the DayZ team.

While these are by no means the only team changes, we wanted to at least address the public faces of the game who are leaving:

• Peter, Lead Designer, who led the design direction of DayZ through many tough years.
  • Eugen, Project Lead, will always be loved for his honesty and open ears to both players and developers.
  • Martin, Brand Manager, is in our hearts for his effort to finally bring DayZ successfully to players on Xbox and PlayStation.
  • Baty, Community Manager, loved for all the personal care for our community and interactions with our player base.

Everyone who worked on DayZ not only has a great line in their portfolio, but the tremendous support of both us and the community behind them, and we wish them all the success in the world. Press F to pay respects.

Good afternoon, I have 3 months of experience at Dayz.

I miss a lot of optimization of the game, I played with GTX 760 and did an update for RX 590 and even then the game is a very bad experience. Outside, the server de-clunking with the client, making the game even worse.

Will you optimize? Will they implement other graphical APIs (Vulkan, DirectX 12)?

Point is BI drew a line finally of this never ending story since they knew for a long time that it would take another 2 or 3 years to get all the promised and missing feature and content in. A from a publishers point of view wasted time for an meanwhile old and outdated game with its still in many regards outdated tech. So they released it on consoles...made it a lot more casual and so succesfully reached a completely new base of players. Adding a battle royal mode in will bring a lot of new youtube and twitch content and selling dlc's some nice extra profit. They did everything right to get out as much as possible.....

35 minutes ago, Cravez said:

If we see "Parity" was not possible in the new engine, people will assume that the new features in the new engine wouldn't have been possible, rather than the already created features in the old engine could not be carried over to the new engine. I would have originally found it hard to believe that completely new and proprietary technology would not had been possible to create certain features that were possible in archaic and older technology (doesn't make sense).

At this moment and in this SR, there was no point in reminding everyone for the umpteenth time that old engine solutions cannot be simply copied to the new architecture (duh). I don't believe they were going for that meaning but it got lost in translation, no sir. It takes a lot of mental gymnastics to interpret their words in any other way than "the final DayZ will never be as good as 0.62". Hence the uproar.

Staying extremely, extremely on-topic, can I ask @ImpulZ or @Tom_48_97 to recommend me a good gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror title? I want to play such a game so much.

• Like 1

EN:
Will there be more attention for DayZ version PC bugs? As I noted from the tracker’s feedback (https://feedback.bistudio.com/), now the tracker's administration is paying more attention to the console versions (XBox, PS4), the PC is checked less often lately (themes from some users of any severity are ignored since 2018, including my 20 themes since May 31, 2019). Does it make sense to continue to send bug reports?

RU:
Будет ли уделено больше внимания для багов ПК версии DayZ? Как я заметил по feedback tracker'у (https://feedback.bistudio.com/), сейчас администрация трэкера больше внимания уделяет консольным версиям (XBox, PS4), PC проверяется реже в последнее время (темы некоторых пользователей любой серьёзности игнорируются ещё с 2018-ого года, в том числе и мои 20 тем с 31-ого мая 2019-ого). Есть ли смысл продолжать присылать баг-репорты?

• Like 2

sad for eugen leaving, but projects go on.

most of what has been said sounds plausible. happy that the dlc is not items. sounds good, go for it!

although, if i had been asked back in the days to do a standalone dayz, i would not even have started on the arma2/helicopters engine in the first place. enfusion is nice, but working with it is really hardcore, i whish there was a compiler / syntax checker you could just plug into existing IDEs instead of your broken windows toolset with that qt ide. that on the other hand seems like wasted time for me.

bring the bows back.