Sign in to follow this  
ThePugman

Duct Tape

Is duct tape getting a nerf at some point?

It’s been confirmed that the glitch fix is coming, so no need to discuss that here.

But even without the glitch, its powers of repair are insane!

My suggestions would be to make it so you can only repair a particular item ONCE with duct tape.

Thoughts?

I think the same, but I suggest that they also change the way zombies deteriorate clothes fast when hitting just a few times.

8 hours ago, ThePugman said:

Is duct tape getting a nerf at some point? It’s been confirmed that the glitch fix is coming, so no need to discuss that here.But even without the glitch, its powers of repair are insane! My suggestions would be to make it so you can only repair a particular item ONCE with duct tape.

I posted this on another thread . ..

With the following bug fix - https://feedback.bistudio.com/T135100 - Duct tape glitch reported as fixed (no release date yet) a whole raft of things are likely to be affected. Hopefully a whole raft of things will have their lifetimes reviewed.

Axe            - is it five trees? Its been a while since I built a base. The hatchet was my go to tool as you could repair it easily and use it as a hammer and an axe . .

Hammer   - three panels? as above. Some way of repairing it would be nice . . . .

Knives        - goes badly damaged far too fast

tin opener - eight tins is it?

shoes        - Ive just walked from Kamenka to Cherno (something like eleven klicks) . I must have repaired my shoes over ten times . ..

clothes      - After almost every encounter I have with an infected person, some article of my clothing or equipment is in a damaged state. On the stated walk, I

encountered more than a few Infected who decided to engage. Must be approaching 30 infected  ...  my steak knife, clothes. backpack, shoes must be just

duct tape now . . .. .

silencers   - silencer goes badly damaged far too soon, that goes for the fabricated silencer too

guns          - gun similarly goes badly damaged far too soon

did I miss anything?

On this basis with the potential ending of the Duct tape glitch, the game will require you to be carrying vast amounts of repair materials, either lots of duct tape rolls or separate toolkits - Leather toolkit, sewing kit, duct tape, gun cleaning kit, epoxy putty. electronic repair kit etc. Especially for those of us who usually stay on the edges of the map far from towns . . .

It would be nice if these repair kits also had their lives extended. Instead of four uses, if it could become like the chlorine tablets (10 tabs) or better - 20 uses ? Maybe also a visual condition light green orange or red above the item instead of mousing over it or seeing the deterioration? As it stands now,  I stop and take stock of every item before I move on . ..  . after an encounter. Thats a lot of time with me standing there playing tetris with my equipment . . .

I wouldnt change what duct tape can fix or how often. With the boots recently getting damaged fast, without the duct tape glitch, I wouldnt have gone anywhere.  . . . Normally I use the toolkits . . .. . I had to use the duct tape. And my boots are still wearing out too fast . . .

My idea would to keep the versatility of the duct tape, but only let it fix badly damaged (orange) items till damaged state (yellow). 

But like Aux7 mentioned, a lot of stuff gets damaged too fast! Like silencers and clothes. Not sure about shoes though. I had combat boots still pristine after walking around quite a bit, but my sneakers were ruined after after just traversing some forest area near the beach. Guess it depends heavily on what you wear.

Yes, all good points. When the glitch is fixed, they will definitely need to rebalance things.

I like the idea of the repair kit uses being increased (apart from duct tape, obviously).

Also, perhaps some kind of repair box. A container that can fit certain repair kits, but massively reduce the space they take up.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:38 AM, amadieus said:

My idea would to keep the versatility of the duct tape, but only let it fix badly damaged (orange) items till damaged state (yellow). 

But like Aux7 mentioned, a lot of stuff gets damaged too fast! Like silencers and clothes. Not sure about shoes though. I had combat boots still pristine after walking around quite a bit, but my sneakers were ruined after after just traversing some forest area near the beach. Guess it depends heavily on what you wear.

Kamenka to Komarovo shoes go from worn to damaged - mixed terrain beach and road

4 hours ago, ThePugman said:

Yes, all good points. When the glitch is fixed, they will definitely need to rebalance things.

I like the idea of the repair kit uses being increased (apart from duct tape, obviously).

In my opinion duct tape needs to be extended from only four uses in line with other repair kit rebalancing . . . rebalancing of the size of the repair kits in the back pack would also be nice. The extension of the number of uses would reduce hoarding of items in the back pack. Before the shoes wearing out issue, I would carry several sewing kits, leather sewing kits, duct tape etc for use. When the shoes started wearing out, I couldnt do anything but use the duct tape bug . . . For me shoe life has clearly been extended, but still not enough

4 hours ago, ThePugman said:

Also, perhaps some kind of repair box. A container that can fit certain repair kits, but massively reduce the space they take up.

a repair box/es that goes on the belt . .. . . .