rickyriot

Just for fun, but.... which accent do you "trust" the least?

As I say this is just for fun, but with VoIP being the main communication method in DayZ which accent 'gives you the fear' when you hear it? What constitutes trust? Well pretty simple really. No KoS, no bulls**t banter and no sneaky attacking you when they've befriended you (or you them).

For me, and this is purely from personal experience, in this order of least trustworthy: Russians, American then English (not British, English).

And for those I trust the most? Generally Scandinavian, French or German seem to be the most fair minded. All anecdotal of course, but that's what I've found.

Discuss...

Edited by rickyriot

There's really no such thing, although if they don't understand or can't speak well in your language they might be less likely to interact with words and more likely to interact with bullets. 

• Like 1

If they start with: hey you there, I'm friendly...... they're probably not. 

generally the ones who have tried, or have killed me havent bothered to communicate at all.

I know that they are hostile, because (all with no communication)

1 - I am being shot at

2 - they are running towards me as fast as they can

3 - I am being punched to death

If they are talking, so far they are friendly . .  . in my experience

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

There's really no such thing, although if they don't understand or can't speak well in your language they might be less likely to interact with words and more likely to interact with bullets. 

Now with the Russians I'd say that is a very valid point. My Russian is dreadful, despite studying it in school. I think a lot of non speakers when they first hear Russian over VoIP are automatically on guard and so tension is almost immediate. A lot of that is because nearly all the Russian's I've met (and it's been quite a few both online and IRL) are by nature "a bit crazy" then mix that with the continual anti-Russian rhetoric you get (especially from a certain generation of Americans - although interestingly not their orange Manchurian candidate!).

57 minutes ago, McWendy said:

If they start with: hey you there, I'm friendly...... they're probably not. 

Which is funny because that's exactly what I do. It's all in the tone of the voice, of course, and what follows next. If I speak to people who may be spooked I will tend to answer the questions they haven't asked yet. What I have (ie: fresh spawn, etc) what I'm doing (looking for a backpack) and where I'm going. It's the ones who are cagey that you need to worry about. Ones who are "aggressively friendly", and we've all experienced that, should trigger those 'spidey senses'.

40 minutes ago, aux7 said:

If they are talking, so far they are friendly . .  . in my experience

No, no... no, no, no...

VoIP in games is fairly "new" as most of us used things like Teamspeak which was your own personal echo chamber. I can't remember what I used before that, I definitely had some team based VoIP when I played Quake 1 TDM ("but Ricky that's over 20 years ago!" Heh, yeah, sadly I'm an 'auld c*nt'). However from experience, and this is obviously anecdotal, the fact that someone has spoken to you rather than shot you immediately is absolutely no indicator of trust.

Let's take an example here, yesterday when trying out 1.04 patch. I met a player on the beach. I had a couple of machetes and as he was fresh spawn I gave him one of them, plus some soda which he had asked for. He starts chatting asking about stuff, asked to team up. I play solo so said "no thanks but you take care". I run off. He follows me, asking more questions. I stop, answer a few things, help him kill some zombies which I explained may drop loot if he was still dehydrated. As I go to walk away he starts attacking me with the machete, cutting me twice causing blood loss. I ask him to stop and say that I'd just helped him out but he continued. I couldn't run away as the blood loss would have killed me anyway so all I could do was defend myself which I didn't want to and said so while doing it. As he'd got 3 or 4 sneaky hits in before I even bothered retaliating the battle was short and clearly my vanquisher's ego was suitably massaged by killing someone by stabbing them in the back after doing nothing but help them.

Now, compare that to the German I met almost immediately upon respawn (which was literally 500 yards from where I was killed). I had tacked up a hill to avoid meeting my "murderer". The German was heavily armed and I used my usual friendly banter (like I did before) and the result? They said, don't worry, here's some sardines and a pistol (which I said I wouldn't accept if it was loaded) and we parted ways.

The nationality of my killer? English. As I say, one of the most likely nationalities that I have found (over maybe several 1000s of hours playing both the mod and SA) to be duplicitous.

Am I annoyed at this interchange? Oh, Hell, no.. I find the whole social experiment to be quite funny (and telling). Let's face it, this is pretty standard. You could argue I was overly trusting, but that's just me - I'm a nice guy!

Edited by rickyriot
  • Beans 1

12 minutes ago, rickyriot said:

Now with the Russians I'd say that is a very valid point. My Russian is dreadful, despite studying it in school. I think a lot of non speakers when they first hear Russian over VoIP are automatically on guard and so tension is almost immediate. A lot of that is because nearly all the Russian's I've met (and it's been quite a few both online and IRL) are by nature "a bit crazy" then mix that with the continual anti-Russian rhetoric you get (especially from a certain generation of Americans - although interestingly not their orange Manchurian candidate!).

Which is funny because that's exactly what I do. It's all in the tone of the voice, of course, and what follows next. If I speak to people who may be spooked I will tend to answer the questions they haven't asked yet. What I have (ie: fresh spawn, etc) what I'm doing (looking for a backpack) and where I'm going. It's the ones who are cagey that you need to worry about. Ones who are "aggressively friendly", and we've all experienced that, should trigger those 'spidey senses'.

No, no... no, no, no...

VoIP in games is fairly "new" as most of us used things like Teamspeak which was your own personal echo chamber. I can't remember what I used before that, I definitely had some team based VoIP when I played Quake 1 TDM ("but Ricky that's over 20 years ago!" Heh, yeah, sadly I'm an 'auld c*nt'). However from experience, and this is obviously anecdotal, the fact that someone has spoken to you rather than shot you immediately is absolutely no indicator of trust.

Let's take an example here, yesterday when trying out 1.04 patch. I met a player on the beach. I had a couple of machetes and as he was fresh spawn I gave him one of them, plus some soda which he had asked for. He starts chatting asking about stuff, asked to team up. I play solo so said "no thanks but you take care". I run off. He follows me, asking more questions. I stop, answer a few things, help him kill some zombies which I explained may drop loot if he was still dehydrated. As I go to walk away he starts attacking me with the machete, cutting me twice causing blood loss. I ask him to stop and say that I'd just helped him out but he continued. I couldn't run away as the blood loss would have killed me anyway so all I could do was defend myself which I didn't want to and said so while doing it. As he'd got 3 or 4 sneaky hits in before I even bothered retaliating the battle was short and clearly my vanquisher's ego was suitably massaged by killing someone by stabbing them in the back after doing nothing but help them.

Now, compare that to the German I met almost immediately upon respawn (which was literally 500 yards from where I was killed). I had tacked up a hill to avoid meeting my "murderer". The German was heavily armed and I used my usual friendly banter (like I did before) and the result? They said, don't worry, here's some sardines and a pistol (which I said I wouldn't accept if it was loaded) and we parted ways.

The nationality of my killer? English. As I say, one of the most likely nationalities that I have found (over maybe several 1000s of hours playing both the mod and SA) to be duplicitous. Am I annoyed at this interchange? Oh, Hell, no.. I find the whole social experiment to be quite funny (and telling). Let's face it, this is pretty standard. You could argue I was overly trusting, but that's just me - I'm a nice guy!

Just giving you my experience. I suspect that the guys who dont speak are on teamspeak or similar. It can be that this will change but so far, if they have initiated the conversation they will be friendly. I have to say that typically I avoid people anyway, especially randoms at the beach. The people who were friendly could have shot me at any point (they had the advantage)

One of the friendly guys was Russian, who proceeded to give me half of his stuff, completely out of the blue. I was a newspawn raiding Solnichniy.

Cannot say I have met many english . . ..

Just now, aux7 said:

Just giving you my experience....

Oh, sure..

As I said, this is all for fun. I find certain nationalities more likely to "do you over". It's all anecdotal of course, and in no way am I suggesting that every (or even a significant minority of) a certain nationality will fit a certain trope. What I would say is that in the category of those who have killed me after voice interaction there is a distinct pattern.

I don't get a broad enough exposure to all the relevant nationalities though. I use EU servers so never speak to, for example, Australians or Koreans. That's going to skew my experiences and has done over the decades I've played these sorts of games.

13 minutes ago, aux7 said:

Cannot say I have met many english . . ..

Lucky you! 😉

8 minutes ago, rickyriot said:

Oh, sure..

As I said, this is all for fun. I find certain nationalities more likely to "do you over". It's all anecdotal of course, and in no way am I suggesting that every (or even a significant minority of) a certain nationality will fit a certain trope. What I would say is that in the category of those who have killed me after voice interaction there is a distinct pattern.

I don't get a broad enough exposure to all the relevant nationalities though. I use EU servers so never speak to, for example, Australians or Koreans. That's going to skew my experiences and has done over the decades I've played these sorts of games.

I use EU and US servers. Australia/Korea would have too high a ping to realistically game here. The US server has a ping of 164 which is under my limit of 200 . .  .  still nervous about it . . ..  but so far so good

Edited by aux7

I stick to EU, purely down to the ping. I used to play FPS competitively (via clanbase) so any ping higher than 30 would have considerably hampered me. Ping isn't quite as tight with DayZ but I'd still not play a server that has a higher initial ping of 50 (albeit it'll tend to fluctuate once connected).

The thing about ping is that it's a two-way thing. It's pretty annoying to have someone lagging or rubber banding about the place due to their ping so I am reluctant to "be that guy" on a server out my region. Not that I am knocking your choice, I should say.

Thankfully places like TRZ's server is now full for a fair percentage of the day so I don't need to go looking for others.

8 minutes ago, rickyriot said:

I stick to EU, purely down to the ping. I used to play FPS competitively (via clanbase) so any ping higher than 30 would have considerably hampered me. Ping isn't quite as tight with DayZ but I'd still not play a server that has a higher initial ping of 50 (albeit it'll tend to fluctuate once connected).

The thing about ping is that it's a two-way thing. It's pretty annoying to have someone lagging or rubber banding about the place due to their ping so I am reluctant to "be that guy" on a server out my region. Not that I am knocking your choice, I should say.

Thankfully places like TRZ's server is now full for a fair percentage of the day so I don't need to go looking for others.

sure, I dont like going over 50 ping, but was persuaded . . . . so far no issues. But a friend I played with used to rubber band and lag all over the place (and he had a good ping) His pc was ground floor level.  .. . so I suspect a percentage of pc influence. I have a top level pc ..  . .

4 minutes ago, aux7 said:

I suspect a percentage of pc influence.

I'm sure I'm only repeating exactly what you know already, so I apologise if this comes across as patronising, but the most basic model has effectively 9 different steps of dependency and that's before you start to bring in the quality of the PC.

[Player] -> [PC] -> ~[NET]~ -> [Server] / CPU LOGIC / [Server] <- ~[Net]~ <- [PC] <- [Player]

While you are right, I'm sure that the majority of players will reduce the local game overhead (ie: graphics quality) to provide the smoothest experience and thus reduce the difference (albeit minor) between the pings of high/low PC stats. I'm guessing if you were to mean out the average there isn't such a big hit from the different PC configs. That's all just conjecture, I have no hard and fast stats to back that up.

Its like pubg. All cheaters in that game are asians. Its not a fact but the general consensus.

@rickyriot xfire mate 😎 we're both old cunts. 

First pentium: Put in a floppy and a cassette and press play on both. 🤗

Edited by McWendy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, McWendy said:

Its like pubg. All cheaters in that game are asians. Its not a fact but the general consensus.

@rickyriot xfire mate 😎 we're both old cunts. 

First pentium: Put in a floppy and a cassette and press play on both. 🤗

To be fair to PUBG the point of the game is to kill everyone, sneakily or not!

XFire! Good call! I have to admit that I was not a youngster at the time of Q1 either! 😉

Edited by rickyriot
  • Haha 1

England, Australia/new Zealand (just the dudes), have that disarming accent.  they could be shooting at me but if theyre talking ill still trust em

I suggest the "trust the least" line is a little invidious, so I'll answer the OP's question this way.

The only accent I tend to trust is German ones. I've never met a German player who wasn't chilled and friendly. 

I'm Polish and we can have that opinion of Rusophobes, but I have to say that I try to be as impartial as possible and I still get that 'crazy Ivan' vibe from the many Russians I've met (this is not to say they're all unfriendly; in fact, some month ago two Russians were shooting up zeds in Elektro and fed my freshie a bit when I used my broken basic Russian on them). Still, I find Russians a bit unpredictable. But in real life I got a lot of 'crazy Pollack' treatment abroad, so I try to be understanding.

Another thing that can come as surprising from a Pole - I find Germans to be most trustworthy. They're just all in all nice players and don't look forward to have fun at your cost. I've played many German pve servers and I can say that I relax every time I hear that distinct German accent. I'm quick to fully trust Germans after the first 'they didn't shoot me in the back' situation.

I like Americans and Canadians and I don't recall any trouble with the English. It's a very interesting anectodal observation you raise, @rickyriot

The hacking community seems to be dominated by Russians, though. Do we have a Russian on board that can tell us something about it?

• Beans 1

On one of my rare ventures into vanilla last week, I helped a Russian guy out and he turned out to be a good 'un. The extremely dodgy Russian government is not the same as the Russian people.

Also, just in case Red Ensign still lurks here, Canucks are usually good...