Mikaxo

Cruelty in Dayz

Hello

I just started in the game, I stuffed myself a little, then two guys shot me and made me unconscious... They approached and healed me, I thought they were trying to save me because they saw I had nothing. But actually, they made me drink gasoline several times and laughed! Then I said to myself "wtf?" I mean it's pointless! They don't want to rob me or kill me, they just want to laugh by doing ludicrous things... "Haha, it's so funny to make someone drink gasoline" I didn't want to be their toy to be killed at the end, so I ran and they shot me in the back.

Even if it's a game, I was shocked a little and felt humiliated. What do you think of that? Have you ever be victim of this kind of behavior, or even be a perpetrator of it?

Edited by Mikaxo

Better get used to it , there are those out there that are altruistic,  and those that are shoot you in the face cruel .....

Sounds unbeliveable and only happens in Bond movies but three villians handcuffed me and forced me to drink gasoline or disenfected (can't remember, too long ago). One guy went to search for food in Solnichy, while second guy went AFK for a moment. Third guy was guarding me. I managed to struggle out of handcuffs, quickly charged third guy and knocked him unconcious, his buddy came back and gave me a shot in leg, but I managed to take him down. Crawling through bushes to find splint, I encountered first guy who almost killed me, but I managed to kill him too. From a fresh spawn to full TTKSO uniform and M4 and AKM combo, it felt fantastic.

It pleases me that human nature has not changed

On 6/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, Mikaxo said:

Even if it's a game, I was shocked a little and felt humiliated. What do you think of that? Have you ever be victim of this kind of behavior, or even be a perpetrator of it?

This was actually the kind of thing that held me back from joining DayZ at first. I'm rather busy and when I finally find some time to play a videogame, getting tortured is not exactly my definition of "fun". And I must say, I've always found that old and tried "but I like torturing people, stop preventing me from having fun" argument as ridiculously stupid. Not only it's blatantly hypocritical - literally the only thing those people do is ruin someone else's fun - but it also proves that your grumpy grampa is right, video games do kill imagination.

But partially I have always blamed it on the devs' decisions - by launching an EA with barely just guns in it, they nurtured a base of players who simply don't see what else they could possibly do. It bit the devs' asses back every time they introduced a new survival element like wetness and temperature. And I'm afraid it's gonna stay like that for some time. Try suggesting on this board that ammo spawns should be cut, and see what happens then.

Fortunately, for the most part of the development process you were able to outrun most players who wanted to hold you up. Pistols, shotties, Mosins - you could outstrafe them all. This meant two things for me - 1) DayZ PvP is ridiculous, 2) it's quite easy to avoid it altogether.

I was held up (and told to undress) a couple of times, likely for some ensuing "fun". But then I just pretended to fumble with my INV screen and made a dash for it. Most of the times I could make it. If I couldn't, well I still felt it's better to start anew.

And it's been a long time since I was assaulted like that. Partially, it is better awareness - I tend to see other players before they see me (well, at least when I don't see someone who's watching me unaware, then he doesn't get an easy drop). Another idea is to choose your servers. I don't really like those no-PvP servers - I want to have some considerable threat level, I don't want everyone to be a carebear around me. But more mature players tend to go to 1PP servers, those with nights, no crosshair, survival mods, etc. I like it when there are no rules, but the very gameplay is tweaked to prevent sniper camping or pointless freshie killing.

And you can always go for super-friendly servers with active admins, no PvP or base raiding. I have one like that when I just want to chill.

But yeah, every now and then you will run into a bored player. Watch his hands and take care there.

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)

To me this is DayZ. Its a very very broad spectrum of players and play styles from one extreme to the other and round again, Ive met friendlies and hostiles, been friendly and hostile, and both in between, defended players from attackers, given medical assistance to players and fed them back to good health gave them a kit to survive and sent them on their way, Ive also held up guys stripped them put dresses on them fed them disinfectant and made them cripple, (when you could be shot in the leg and it broke making you crawl and not die) and when signs of it going nowhere then placing a burlap over their head (if they were lucky) and executing them in rows making their buddies watch before their demise also. Ive sat on top of high buildings doing sniping practice at all who entered my sights. This is what can be done in DayZ just on the player vs player decision aspect, Ive built bases had them raided murkd the invaders and ate their flesh in front of the ones who were captured to instill fear of returning to our base before meeting their end, and been on the opposite side of that as well of course,  In either end of the spectrum I have been on both sides and experienced it, if you feel like your a rager (not boner) and cant deal with being intimidated and manipulated then just run, odds are you will meet the you are dead screen and not the your unconscious screen, if you have the stomach for such extremes then flow with it w/e its expected in this game as in reality make the most of it, chances are you may make friends or just more enemies either way make sure you have some time to immerse yourself well in the game as thats the only way to feel the full experience it has to offer, Im satisfied at the games diversity its meant to give you smiles then tears or vice versa in either sequence, next time you have knowledge of what could happen when you encounter players.

• Beans 1

So... just to get this right, people shooting you in the head is fine, people tying you up is not?

We have already had this debate years ago when the media first heard you could tie people up so ran with a story that "girl gamers were being raped". That was roundly laughed off by everyone who knew gaming but was championed by idiots with an axe to grind.

Bottom line is the game is 18 rated (certainly in the UK and I expect a similar level worldwide), life is far far harsher than this game, you really shouldn't be surprised by anyone's actions in game and to feel humiliated is taking this far far more personally than you should.

Oh how I would love more of these kind of interactions. Salute to the duo for actually doing bandit stuff and interacting.

• Beans 1

8 minutes ago, IMT said:

Oh how I would love more of these kind of interactions. Salute to the duo for actually doing bandit stuff and interacting.

I'm pretty sure you can kill yourself if thats your problem.
 We used handcuffs on my friend and me suicide himself (probably pressing F11).
 I do think it's cruel but, i enjoy anything more than shoot on sight. Thats what makes dayz special to me. 

8 hours ago, rickyriot said:

So... just to get this right, people shooting you in the head is fine, people tying you up is not?

We have already had this debate years ago when the media first heard you could tie people up so ran with a story that "girl gamers were being raped". That was roundly laughed off by everyone who knew gaming but was championed by idiots with an axe to grind.

Bottom line is the game is 18 rated (certainly in the UK and I expect a similar level worldwide), life is far far harsher than this game, you really shouldn't be surprised by anyone's actions in game and to feel humiliated is taking this far far more personally than you should.

Well I think it's normal to feel something when a virtual thing happens. When you die, you are generally upset. When someone insults you with a mic, you're angry. When two guys make fun of you by forcing you to drink gasoline, even if it does not really happen to you, you feel humiliated.
It's a game, but it is real.

13 hours ago, Mikaxo said:
Well I think it's normal to feel something when a virtual thing happens. When you die, you are generally upset. When someone insults you with a mic, you're angry. When two guys make fun of you by forcing you to drink gasoline, even if it does not really happen to you, you feel humiliated.

Don't worry, there is nothing wrong in feeling actual human emotions in reaction to make-believe stimuli.

One might even say it's the entire point of make-believe.

The moment I don't care what happens to my toon is the moment I know it's time to stop playing.

• Beans 1

20 hours ago, Mikaxo said:

I'd never feel humiliated. I'd be laughing to be honest, because it's not real.

So, let's play Devil's Advocate here. Is it fair for someone to show a degree of shock from treatment you "received"? Sure, of course. In the same way you'll get a thrill of exhilaration just after a close run gun fight. Emotion is important in gaming, so the fact that you felt anything is clearly right. Me, as I said, I'd find humour. It seems you didn't. If you are from a section of society that is regularly targeted for abuse; misogyny, racism, bigotry, etc.. then I can understand why such scenes may have a deeper psychological affect - and it's fair that game developers do keep an eye on such things.

On the flip side, I presume you knew that it was possible within the game for this to happen? It's been fairly widely reported over the years so I'd be surprised if you weren't. What's more the game's adult rating should have at least hinted at it's darkness.

• Beans 1

9 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Don't worry, there is nothing wrong in feeling actual human emotions in reaction to make-believe stimuli.

One might even say it's the entire point of make-believe.

The moment I don't care what happens to my toon is the moment I know it's time to stop playing.

Don't you think is way funnier to have something to happen (even something wierd as this) than same routine day after day??
 I wonder how could you enjoy the spawn>loot>die>repeat thing. 
 I don't wanna repeat myself here, but those kind of interactions are what i think is the "beautiful" of dayz.

Don't give up and don't let then torture you then. At least try to resist, try to run, try something!! If you do, you might even get out of it with an epic feeling, like Just Caused story above.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, rickyriot said:

I'd never feel humiliated. I'd be laughing to be honest, because it's not real.

So, let's play Devil's Advocate here. Is it fair for someone to show a degree of shock from treatment you "received"? Sure, of course. In the same way you'll get a thrill of exhilaration just after a close run gun fight. Emotion is important in gaming, so the fact that you felt anything is clearly right. Me, as I said, I'd find humour. It seems you didn't. If you are from a section of society that is regularly targeted for abuse; misogyny, racism, bigotry, etc.. then I can understand why such scenes may have a deeper psychological affect - and it's fair that game developers do keep an eye on such things.

On the flip side, I presume you knew that it was possible within the game for this to happen? It's been fairly widely reported over the years so I'd be surprised if you weren't. What's more the game's adult rating should have at least hinted at it's darkness.

Actually no I didn't expect such things to happen.I didn't inform myself on the game's community.

Adul:ting rating means for me that there is violence in the game (you kill zombies, you get killed...), not that you"ll be a toy for other players.

It's okay that you only find this humorous, but for me it is shocking. It is not normal or funny  in any game that some players don't respect others. It's my opinion.

Don't you think is way funnier to have something to happen (even something wierd as this) than same routine day after day??
 I don't wanna repeat myself here, but those kind of interactions are what i think is the "beautiful" of dayz.

Don't give up and don't let then torture you then. At least try to resist, try to run, try something!! If you do, you might even get out of it with an epic feeling, like Just Caused story above.

It's good to have some action, but not that way. I didn't had fun to be mocked.

• Sad 1
  • Beans 1

On 6/22/2019 at 2:01 PM, Mikaxo said:

Even if it's a game, I was shocked a little and felt humiliated.

Sorry... if there ever was a real apocalypse I'd kill you first- but not until I'd mercilessly abused your usefulness. 

Assuming of course you have any.

Judging by some of your other comments I think it's time for you to find that Y chromosome and tear some shit down. 

Edited by eno
  • Beans 1

21 hours ago, Mikaxo said:

It's okay that you only find this humorous, but for me it is shocking. It is not normal or funny  in any game that some players don't respect others. It's my opinion.

You are, of course, totally entitled to that opinion.

What I would say is to me your sensibilities seem a bit unbalanced. If you had a genuine empathic connection to your virtual character you should be just as shocked, if not more, at the idea of getting a shotgun blast to the face as you are about being tied up. I'd also say that DayZ is in no way unique when it comes to abuse. I have a friend who is plays CoD on the XB and the community there is unbelievably toxic, like off the fucking scale toxic. He's had 8 year olds shouting homophobic abuse and death threats, claiming they will dox or swat him in real life. You think that's just jokes, well it's not: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46206616

So, yeah, as I say, you are entitled to that opinion and there is some merit in ensuring that the game doesn't become something akin to Skyrim's Lovers Lab (do not Google that, trust me! If you know what it is, you'll know the reference, if you don't then be happy you don't!) but in the grand scheme of things, DayZ is in no way a leader when it comes to abuse.

Interestingly in all the hours I've played DayZ - and it runs into the thousands - I have never once been "captured". I believe you used to be able to break the bonds (whether rope or handcuffs) by wiggling your character. Not sure if that is still a thing since the new animation system has been introduced.

Edited by rickyriot

7 hours ago, rickyriot said:

Interestingly in all the hours I've played DayZ - and it runs into the thousands - I have never once been "captured". I believe you used to be able to break the bonds (whether rope or handcuffs) by wiggling your character. Not sure if that is still a thing since the new animation system has been introduced.

You can, even if it's a rope or a handcuff. You can run too, they cannot hold you in place like a dog.
He could have done all that, but he somehow "accepted" the roleplay and then came here complaining.

What worries me the most is that  those kind of people are too loud, and they somehow get what they want, killing games in the process.

Edited by Thundermight

12 hours ago, eno said:

Judging by some of your other comments I think it's time for you to find that Y chromosome and tear some shit down. 

I’m so sad to read it, man.

I remember you well from your beginnings and extensive writing in the How Was Your Day(Z) topic. You were shocked and appalled by Berezino freshies being needlessly aggressive and if there ever was a player without ‘that Y chromosome’ (what??), it was most definitely you, for a long time, and you were not ashamed of it. I considered you one of the most mature players around here and I remember I wanted to meet you and your kid (?), Zombie Hunter (US ping didn’t allow me then).

I have recently clocked 2000 hours in DayZ and I behave to others more or less the same when I started, i.e. I never pull the trigger first and I carry a can of Pepsie as a gift to other friendlies. And reading this topic, I’m actually kinda proud of that. Maybe, just maybe, the real toughness is „standing the pressure of a hostile enviroment” and not as this community thinks, „enjoying the receiving part of make-believe torture” (do you guys even hear yourselves?).

But eno, please don’t feel insulted, I just wanted to say I’m sad to see that you Anakin’d your way through DayZ. But well, that’s what this apocalypse does to people. You’d make an interesting Walking Dead character.

Have my beans for all the good reading I had.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:47 PM, Thundermight said:

Ahh, and now we’re getting to the ‘hypocrisy’ part I mentioned earlier. It’s a sandbox and anyone can do whatever they want, right? But my gameplay is stupid and boring when I just wanna check out the new villages in the West, or hang out in my old hunting grounds, or get a car working? (you’re knocking with that loot/die/repeat routine on a very wrong door).

I can have all the fun I want, provided it conforms to your definition of ‘fun’ and I’m supposed to happily drop everything if met by two guys who want to have a different kind of ‘fun’? So the old saying ‘you can wave your hands all you  want until they land on someone’s face’ gets changed into ‘you can wave your hands all you want until someone’s fist lands on your face’, ammirite?

Look, I know these conversations and I know you won’t say ‘well, now that you put it this way...’ or something. Instead, I expect doubling down with some faux-tough line about growing a pair and Dayz being Dayz. But genuinely please, do it for me and think about the above reasoning (or talk about it with a friend) for just 10 minutes over the next year.

10 minutes by June 2020, that’s all I’m asking.

Guys, can we please not make this topic about manliness or toughness? Because I hate to put it like this, but „take it like a man when two boys want to play with your character's body” is something I’d expect to hear from Pulp Fiction’s Gimp if someone unzipped his mouth.

I don't want to judge how you enjoy your dayz, but this topic can already show up in some NSFW Google searches and bring us very, very confused people.

A bit of self-awareness, if you don’t mind.

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)
  • Like 1

Got to agree with Kirov here. There is no place for toxic masculinity, or at least no point in it. Not that I want to come across as all SJW about it.

15 hours ago, eno said:

Sorry... if there ever was a real apocalypse I'd kill you first- but not until I'd mercilessly abused your usefulness. 

Assuming of course you have any.

What's the link between my "male toughness" and a video game ?

12 hours ago, rickyriot said:

You are, of course, totally entitled to that opinion.

What I would say is to me your sensibilities seem a bit unbalanced. If you had a genuine empathic connection to your virtual character you should be just as shocked, if not more, at the idea of getting a shotgun blast to the face as you are about being tied up. I'd also say that DayZ is in no way unique when it comes to abuse. I have a friend who is plays CoD on the XB and the community there is unbelievably toxic, like off the fucking scale toxic. He's had 8 year olds shouting homophobic abuse and death threats, claiming they will dox or swat him in real life. You think that's just jokes, well it's not: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46206616

So, yeah, as I say, you are entitled to that opinion and there is some merit in ensuring that the game doesn't become something akin to Skyrim's Lovers Lab (do not Google that, trust me! If you know what it is, you'll know the reference, if you don't then be happy you don't!) but in the grand scheme of things, DayZ is in no way a leader when it comes to abuse.

No, I'm not shocked when someone kills me. I'm thrilled or angry or frustrated or amused, but not shocked, because the point of the game is to fight and kill others players.

When someone kills me  "cleanly", without doing weird stuff and lacking respect, I'm fine. But when I'm being ridiculed, I generally don't feel good. Yes, you can say like your other mate : "Find your Y chromosome and stop being weak", but it does not change the fact that I indeed feel bad when someone doesn't show me respect, even in the virtual life.

5 hours ago, Thundermight said:

You can, even if it's a rope or a handcuff. You can run too, they cannot hold you in place like a dog.
He could have done all that, but he somehow "accepted" the roleplay and then came here complaining.

What worries me the most is that  those kind of people are too loud, and they somehow get what they want, killing games in the process.

No, you didn't read my first message. 

@Mikaxo what you need to realize is that some people get off on using video games to act out things that they can't and would never do in real life.

I would never steal a car, blow up a boat or shoot at the cops, yet I've done all of those things in Grand Theft Auto, for example.  Some people take it a step farther, like you've described here.

If this kind of behavior bothers you, I would suggest being more selective as to which servers you join.  You might want to stick to role-playing type servers where the rules are more clearly defined and usually, strictly followed.  On public servers or community servers with little to no rules, this kind of thing will happen to you and in a way, that's the beauty of DayZ -- you can make new friends that last for a long time or you can run into people that will resort to what was done to you.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but keep in mind It's the internet -- the random encounters in DayZ could be anyone, of any age, anywhere.  This type of behavior is usually rare, but ultimately inevitable.

9 hours ago, drgullen said:

I would never steal a car, blow up a boat or shoot at the cops, yet I've done all of those things in Grand Theft Auto, for example.

Ah, the great debate about computer games. Of course the religious right would consider virtual and real life actions to be  one and the same. That said, they also consider all sorts of nonsense to be valid. 😉

Saturday:

On 6/22/2019 at 9:01 PM, Mikaxo said:

I was shocked

Wednesday:

11 hours ago, Mikaxo said:

No, I'm not shocked

Mate, no offence, but you are all over the place here.

As for this..

11 hours ago, Mikaxo said:

Yes, you can say like your other mate : "Find your Y chromosome and stop being weak", but it does not change the fact that I indeed feel bad when someone doesn't show me respect, even in the virtual life.N

I never said that, I never agreed with that and it should be pointed out I went out of my way to distance myself from such comments.
Do not reply to me inferring that I supported that view. If you had actually taken the time to read my comments and put them into context I've not once questioned whether you felt humiliated with my only point being the emotion may be misplaced - not that the game shouldn't engender emotion more that where that emotion channelled.

One serious concern within your comment is that you "expect respect", that is a stunningly naive attitude to have in a large online multiplayer game that contains violence. Violence you were very well aware of before you installed the game and if you did not then the fault is entirely yours. YOU failed to check out the content of the game and YOU failed to realise the effect on your delicate sensitivities.

With that all said and done, there is a genuine debate to be had regarding whether people should be able to carry out what we could consider in the context of the game "war crimes". I don't want to play Mario though, and that's why I accept the actions within a game that has considerably adult themes will be.. well, adult. What we need to do though is get away from personalising or subjectivity and deal with the issue in an objective and neutral basis. This means any talk of personal humiliation needs to be dropped otherwise the debate ends up being whether the game is specifically tailored to you rather than whether the game should contain elements a, b or c.

Edited by rickyriot

4 hours ago, rickyriot said:

Ah, the great debate about computer games. Of course the religious right would consider virtual and real life actions to be  one and the same. That said, they also consider all sorts of nonsense to be valid. 😉

Saturday:

Wednesday:

Mate, no offence, but you are all over the place here.

As for this..

I never said that, I never agreed with that and it should be pointed out I went out of my way to distance myself from such comments.
Do not reply to me inferring that I supported that view. If you had actually taken the time to read my comments and put them into context I've not once questioned whether you felt humiliated with my only point being the emotion may be misplaced - not that the game shouldn't engender emotion more that where that emotion channelled.

One serious concern within your comment is that you "expect respect", that is a stunningly naive attitude to have in a large online multiplayer game that contains violence. Violence you were very well aware of before you installed the game and if you did not then the fault is entirely yours. YOU failed to check out the content of the game and YOU failed to realise the effect on your delicate sensitivities.

With that all said and done, there is a genuine debate to be had regarding whether people should be able to carry out what we could consider in the context of the game "war crimes". I don't want to play Mario though, and that's why I accept the actions within a game that has considerably adult themes will be.. well, adult. What we need to do though is get away from personalising or subjectivity and deal with the issue in an objective and neutral basis. This means any talk of personal humiliation needs to be dropped otherwise the debate ends up being whether the game is specifically tailored to you rather than whether the game should contain elements a, b or c.

I'm sorry to have associated you with this masculinist idea.

Indeed, I should expect that in online games a few people will be indecent, but how you can handle? It's good when you advise to not take it personnally and just laugh about it, but for me it is important that these behaviors should be reported and that developpers punish the perprators.

In violent video games, it's okay to kill others players, because it is actually why you play to the game, you fight, you play,  and there no bad feeling about it. BUT you mingle this with the anti-game behavior when you humiliate others players and categorize it at just belonging to the violent game's part. When you humiliate another player, it's beyond the virtual world : you insult indirectly the true person behind the screen, so that must be punished.

Edited by Mikaxo