Sign in to follow this  
Mantasisg

Is stunlock still a problem ?

Today had little bit of fun in DayZ after a long while. Entered TrumpWalls server, which seems quite nice and has balanced gameplay in it, though I have not experienced a lot of that server yet.

So I have run run, loot loot my life away as usual in DayZ. But there were quite a lot of interactions, loot was not inexistant and server quite eventful and interesting in overall.... not going to review the server here.

The purpose of this post is that the very same thing happened which was the reason why I stopped playing months ago.... It was the stun lock. Just as the moment which killed DayZ months ago for me, this again was quite awesome situation. Evolving nicely. To put in short DayZ was giving quite nice experience actually. But that as soon as you get stunlocked everything just goes negative quickly. That feeling when you know that you loose melee fight as soon when you fail to hit first is awful, completely ruined it for me again...

Also zombies felt very nerfed, though I have only encountered one at a time and perhaps it is like that by server settings. 

But yeah..... stun lock is not fun. Was surprised for it to still be there. 

Stop picking servers with unlimited stamina.  This has been pointed out time and time again for months already.  

You can be stunlocked for a bit, but only for a very small amount of punches, like 4 or 5, if you get downed by them, you probably weren't to well off in the first place

i had a melee fight right after spawning on a server with "Unlimited Stamina" which basically meant that stamina regen was exactly equal to the amount of stamina used up by sprinting, i stunlocked a guy with heavy punches who attacked me first, then when my stamina was empty, disengaged, and re-engaged once my stamina was filled again

a bit of a dirty tactic, but someone with a gun has the upper hand once the first stunlock chain is over

also, you can shove people melee attacking you now by holding RMB and pressing F, and right after that plant some lead firmly in their skull

Edited by ZomboWTF

Basically what Guy Smiley said, don't play on servers with stamina disabled. If you decide to do that anyway, don't do it where they have achieved it by having stamina regenerate absurdly fast, since that is what enables the stunlock. Where stamina works as intended you can only do 3-4 heavy attacks before being out of stamina, depending on how heavily burdened you are.

Edited by Derleth

Oh yeah, the unlimited stamina thing..... I forgot about it completely.

However, I'd say it is still an issue that you basically ruin melee gameplay if you want a server with no stamina. And no stamina for a guy like me is way to go, when there are virtually no vehicles at all, at least there would be bunch of bicycles to respect my limited spare time that I decided to spend for DayZ, I definitely don't want to spend 2-3 hours by just trying to find a hotspot in the 14x14km map. I know Dayz is not supposed to actually be played like this, but in my experience it doesn't work other way if you play alone and don't play very often.

In my humble opinion stun mechanics should be turned off when stamina is unlimited. Wouldn't it be better for everyone ? Or do you want to punish people who want to use such shortcut and skip the stamina effects in their Dayz experience ? It is not good. Peter Nespesny and Bohemia, why do you leave such simple issues that has such heavy impact on the gameplay ?

I suppose it is impossible to turn off stun mechanics, because such heavily modded and IMO fine server like Trump Wall would have made the right choice, wouldn't it ?

Edited by Mantasisg