Sign in to follow this  
xxDominion

Persistence Servers

Why every time I log out with a fully built car on a persistence enabled server, is the car always gone when I log in the next day?  I thought cars where suppose to be persistent?  I parked it in an area, I know no one would think to go, and I dismantled the car in a manner that no one would carry all those parts with them.  So why am I wasting my time building cars, if they are just going to despawn??

Are you joining the exact same official server?  Official share characters across servers.  3pp to 3pp and 1pp to 1pp.  Persistence storage doesn't transfer with you nor do vehicles.

2 hours ago, xxDominion said:

I dismantled the car in a manner that no one would carry all those parts with them

If you leave a car part on the ground why would it not despawn ?

Yes, it is the exact same server. I made sure of it.  And I am not taking the car parts and dropping them on the ground.  I am holding on to the parts.  The Car tent did not have anything in its inventory and I was told that if left empty they will despawn.  As for the car, I am thinking that perhaps other players found it, if the tent despawned, the car was able to be seen, and if they had a car battery and a spark plug, they were in business.  

It's time to do - exit from the server of the character inside the car. And the return of the character to the server with the machine, as part of the equipment.

It's DayZ 1.03...cars disappear often in it. Also, there's no server with persistence turned off. That would be stupid because only your character would save.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:08 AM, xxDominion said:

Yes, it is the exact same server. I made sure of it.  And I am not taking the car parts and dropping them on the ground.  I am holding on to the parts.  The Car tent did not have anything in its inventory and I was told that if left empty they will despawn.  As for the car, I am thinking that perhaps other players found it, if the tent despawned, the car was able to be seen, and if they had a car battery and a spark plug, they were in business.  

you are only dismantling the spark plug and battery?

It happened to me, more than once. Someone said that if you take some stuff out of car (like battery, wheel, radiator, etc) server will read this like you car got "ruined" and you tried to salvage some stuff. 
 Still, i'm not sure about that, but seems legit so far. An oficial answer would be appreciated.

Another thing that i forget to mention. I'd always played with cars and always had this same problem, but i somehow fixed it by after taking batery and sparkplug out of car, i put an item (a food can) on his inventory and try to turn him on, only then i leave and logout. No idea if it does anything, but have been working along this week.

On 6/15/2019 at 10:49 PM, aux7 said:

you are only dismantling the spark plug and battery?

Yes

3 minutes ago, xxDominion said:

Yes

thats not going to stop most people. I always carry a spark plug, a battery not so often, but often enough. I go hunting cars, and I find more cars than tents . . . Last car I found that I had to leave (with stuff in it) was a car (sedan) missing  two wheels as well. There are several cars that I am/have been watching, that players keep putting stuff in, so I dont believe there is a persistence problem

Everyone thinks they have found the ideal hiding place . .. . 80% of the players will agree with you that its the best place .. . and hiding it off the map is no longer an option . . . hasnt been for several variants of DayZ

18 hours ago, aux7 said:

thats not going to stop most people. I always carry a spark plug, a battery not so often, but often enough. I go hunting cars, and I find more cars than tents . . . Last car I found that I had to leave (with stuff in it) was a car (sedan) missing  two wheels as well. There are several cars that I am/have been watching, that players keep putting stuff in, so I dont believe there is a persistence problem

Everyone thinks they have found the ideal hiding place . .. . 80% of the players will agree with you that its the best place .. . and hiding it off the map is no longer an option . . . hasnt been for several variants of DayZ

I understand all that.  I will give you another example.  Built yet ANOTHER Olga last night, Drove it out into the North West, No houses, important land marks, military, nothing remarkable that might draw a player..  next to the edge of the Map, in a cluster of bushes..  it was well hidden.  I logged in today and it was gone.  My squad reported a remote camp site they set up with a improved stone camp fire, tents with loot in them, and walls they started to construct, all of that was gone as well.  It always happens after the server restarts.  every single time.  I know its not players, due to the fact that on a couple of occasions, I was still logged in with the vehicle..  Server restarted...  I waited a few mins..  logged back in and the vehicles were gone...  So, I agree, some times it may be players...  but when I spawn into a restarted server, when there are only 2 other people in the server and I am in a very remote area, and had not seen players for hours, I tend to think that maybe, just maybe, the server is eating them.  I hope I am wrong.  Iwant to be wrong.  I love this game so much.  Dev's please prove me wrong...

1 hour ago, xxDominion said:

I understand all that.  I will give you another example.  Built yet ANOTHER Olga last night, Drove it out into the North West, No houses, important land marks, military, nothing remarkable that might draw a player..  next to the edge of the Map, in a cluster of bushes..  it was well hidden.  I logged in today and it was gone.  My squad reported a remote camp site they set up with a improved stone camp fire, tents with loot in them, and walls they started to construct, all of that was gone as well.  It always happens after the server restarts.  every single time.  I know its not players, due to the fact that on a couple of occasions, I was still logged in with the vehicle..  Server restarted...  I waited a few mins..  logged back in and the vehicles were gone...  So, I agree, some times it may be players...  but when I spawn into a restarted server, when there are only 2 other people in the server and I am in a very remote area, and had not seen players for hours, I tend to think that maybe, just maybe, the server is eating them.  I hope I am wrong.  Iwant to be wrong.  I love this game so much.  Dev's please prove me wrong...

There's a difference between server restarts and server crashes.  A restart is a scheduled, graceful shutdown of the server exe and persistence stuff, including cars, should not be disappearing in those cases.  A server crash is an unscheduled termination of the server exe which can sometimes cause the persistence files to become corrupted, in which case, they are ignored when the server starts next time, which would explain everything disappearing.

It sounds like this server is crashing a lot to me.  If you're seeing the red "No message received after x amount of seconds" message, that's a crash and not a graceful shutdown, which would explain it.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, drgullen said:

There's a difference between server restarts and server crashes.  A restart is a scheduled, graceful shutdown of the server exe and persistence stuff, including cars, should not be disappearing in those cases.  A server crash is an unscheduled termination of the server exe which can sometimes cause the persistence files to become corrupted, in which case, they are ignored when the server starts next time, which would explain everything disappearing.

It sounds like this server is crashing a lot to me.  If you're seeing the red "No message received after x amount of seconds" message, that's a crash and not a graceful shutdown, which would explain it.

That makes sense, but this has happened to me and my squad on multiple servers now.  Server restarts, the car is despawned.  Now, I will say this.  We played on this last server for 3 days, the whole time, putting together the Olga, and during those 3 days, as long as the Olga didn't get moved, it remained persistent in the server.  once we completed the build, and drove the car off and left it in a place not known to have anything, it was gone again, when I logged in the next day.  So, i am at a loss..

Persistent items such as vehicles, base parts, tents, all seem to have had an issue since 1.03. The best way to help fix this is to submit all logs from a server after this happens to the Feedback tracker. BI might already know about the issue though. They aren't too good with reporting what they're working on fixing.

Wait, are there still such things as non-persistent servers? At least deliberately?

Delving into history, there was a time when heli crashes didn't spawn on persistent servers, so insanonauts such as myself would deliberately seek them out. 

Might be a bit too esoteric for the younger crowd though...

Nowadays, as far as I know, heli crash spawns have nothing to do with persistence -- they are event spawns and occur regardless of valid persistence files or not.

Basically, every server is one crash away from being a potential non-persistent server unless some backup plan is in place.  I think as well there are still some server owners that use the forced /F switch when killing the process, which in and of itself, can corrupt the persistence files.