Sign in to follow this  
Weyland Yutani (DayZ)

The real reason why there won't be a Roadmap...

...is because there will be so little in it players will go crazy.

Think about it, if they really had a robust list of things to put in it, or even everything (or 80%) that said would be in it...wouldn't they do it?

I would, you would, any sensible person or business would...its GOOD business. Thats how marketing works. Coming Soon works, does it not?

If a prospective customer saw a nice list of cool things to come...wouldn't that increase sales all around quite a bit?

Hey, the reviews are in the toilet, but look at this list of things to come!

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some of the features promised to us in years past as DLC. Ylands dropped with a store right out of the gate. I thought that was a very interesting thing to do with a game thats in EA on Day 1. Ylands is dear to the CEO's heart, he's said it on his twitter. Day 1 and there was a store to buy in-game money for stuff in-game that wasn't even available to purchase yet. The message is clear.

Look at Arma 3...Karts, are you kidding me? Look at the direction of their DLC: Karts (lol), Jets, Helicopters, Marksmen, Tanks. Arma 3 sold Apex/Tanoa, is it really an outlandish idea to think Namalsk won't be a paid DLC?

• Beans 1

It's the way of the future.  Games as a service *facepalm*.  Sadly, stupid people will throw money at these companies for the $19.99 Red Jacket exclusive.  Hell, I can see $9.99 Survival DLC - This DLC adds survival elements to the game such as proper hunger and thirst values.  $14.99 Dynamic Weather - This DLC will add sever dynamic weather that could cost the survivor their life if caught outside.  And so forth

Coming soon only works if whats said to be coming soon, actually comes. 

Edited by [Gen]Adzic
  • Beans 2

4 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Well, we already have been given several roadmaps, the problem is they got thrown in the toilet too.

4 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Look at Arma 3...Karts, are you kidding me?

Actually worth it honestly

• Beans 2

I dont believe in micro-transactions in games honestly, especially in games like this, BI will loose most of their already dwindling playerbase if that happens with DayZ trust me in that, people who do stay and pay are fucking idiots, excuse the colorful language,  If however it was a game like Star Citizen well thats a completely different ball game they literally have a Universe littered with worlds and other stuff that puts DayZ to shame with its claim of having a "massive" map, In SC you can actually buy a friking massive ship with real money,.. Now thats "worth it" and for an absolutely gargantuan ship (frigate/destroyer class) your looking at a cool $1200USD for their best which is also "worth it". Paying trump change for a game you have already paid for and want/need features that should of already been in game is a bloody ripoff and a clear sign they are now targeting children under 18 years of age (or like minded) to empty their pockets (or parents') to get these "features" in game to play with. People such as I wouldnt be "complaining" if the fucking game had all its features as it mostly did before they announced "oh we are building a new engine for the game" "It will be better and we will be able to add new things quicker" If they ever return the content that was already in the game and start actually adding "new" content like helis, shooting from vehicles, proper weather (seasons) and proper basebuilding etc then the engine 's claims will be true, but as of right now the game's Regressed state has stirred up a snakes nest.

7 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Well, we already have been given several roadmaps, the problem is they got thrown in the toilet too.

The first few roadmaps naturally had to change because sales blew away early projections. The Playstation deal, then Xbox. That gave them money to improve the game and that shifted the roadmap early on.

Building an almost entirely new engine, buying dev companies, training new staff, poor planning, and improvisation all took time and pushed those next roadmap. Bugs, unanticipated roadbloacks, etc pushed the next rm further.

All of that is done now and the game is done for the most part. Engine is complete, got some bugs but thats normal. The team is fully immersed, experienced, and seasoned with Enfusion so the problems in the past are simply...history.

A new roadmap is in order and I'm extremely confident it would be very accurate.

Instead of a 50% margin of error, it would probably have a 15% margin. Zero reason not to have one other than they've cut off some major limbs and the public outcry will tank console interest. Everything is riding on console right now unless they have DLC prepared.

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

The first few roadmaps naturally had to change because sales blew away early projections. The Playstation deal, then Xbox. That gave them money to improve the game and that shifted the roadmap early on.

Building an almost entirely new engine, buying dev companies, training new staff, poor planning, and improvisation all took time and pushed those next roadmap. Bugs, unanticipated roadbloacks, etc pushed the next rm further.

All of that is done now and the game is done for the most part. Engine is complete, got some bugs but thats normal. The team is fully immersed, experienced, and seasoned with Enfusion so the problems in the past are simply...history.

A new roadmap is in order and I'm extremely confident it would be very accurate.

Instead of a 50% margin of error, it would probably have a 15% margin. Zero reason not to have one other than they've cut off some major limbs and the public outcry will tank console interest. Everything is riding on console right now unless they have DLC prepared. 

The history of the development of the OFP-Arma-DayZ series of games, remembers how impressive and smooth it was, remembers when and with what difficulties everyone faced. The stage of transition to a new platform has inevitably come. This is a forced long-term transition related to how the games in modern development should look and what quality of performance the gaming platform should correspond to.
 Many players understand this and for them this is also not a smooth period. I understand that it is difficult in such circumstances to plan and follow the intended path.
I understand that no one wants to talk about the emergence of various related difficulties. I understand that the publication of a roadmap, even with ten percent of the content of the entire map, also will not help anyone in this period.
Successes you on this path. Any short news will be interesting to all.

8 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

Agree. It should not be so difficult to publish a roadmap that perhaps focuses on Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4. I can understand that they do not want to publish a roadmap that says what is in each consecutive patch. But to give an idea on what to expect in which period would be great. And of course you always have people that complain when something is not delivered in a certain timeframe, even though a roadmap is not a promise. But those are same L*sers that still use the 2015 roadmap argument and should be ignored by the devs. There are enough sensible people who do understand a roadmap devs! 

Judging by the comments above me I can tell that not a single one of you understands how game development works, so allow me to explain it simply. Game development is a long process that requires time and has periods of increased and decreased rate of progress. Road maps are always a foolish idea because they limit the creative potential of the developers and waste their precious time in completing the masterpiece. Paid micro-transactions allow the development to remain financially feasible in the long-term, whilst also giving players some extra enjoyment for what they are paying for. Truth be told it is forum members constantly complaining based on their primitive comprehension of how to make video games that sets the developers back the farthest because they have to reallocate coding time to handle public relations.

Edited by Survivor1431
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

Truth be told it is forum members constantly complaining based on their primitive comprehension of how to make video games that sets the developers back the farthest because they have to reallocate coding time to handle public relations.

1. So it's our fault?

2. What public relations?

3. Wait, did you say it's our fault?

1 hour ago, Chernarussian said:

1. So it's our fault?

He's just a troll.  Don't even try to entertain him

• Beans 2

52 minutes ago, Chernarussian said:

1. So it's our fault?

1. Name one video game that you have been playing for several years and you have no complaints about the creator of this game, the desire to play it does not fade.
2. Can DayZ in the future be such a game for you?
3. Do you want DayZ to become such a game for you in the future?
4. How can you help that DayZ could become such a game for you in the future?

9 hours ago, Survivor1431 said:

Judging by the comments above me I can tell that not a single one of you understands how game development works, so allow me to explain it simply. Game development is a long process that requires time and has periods of increased and decreased rate of progress. Road maps are always a foolish idea because they limit the creative potential of the developers and waste their precious time in completing the masterpiece. Paid micro-transactions allow the development to remain financially feasible in the long-term, whilst also giving players some extra enjoyment for what they are paying for. Truth be told it is forum members constantly complaining based on their primitive comprehension of how to make video games that sets the developers back the farthest because they have to reallocate coding time to handle public relations.

Number one thing people dont do on the internet is think before they speak/type,... all niceness aside, fuck your judgement, if your smart enough then you wouldnt of commented. Micro transactions will be the death of this game (at least to the original players, the survivalists, the veterans) Freedom of speech is what a forum kinda is for, so if there are people complaining, maybe its a sign of a real issue at hand,.. creative potential? precious time? Are you fucking joking? Thats what the devs are paid to do is use their potential and spend their precious time on this game. Im not amused at pocket pissers trying to create something thats utterly useless to the community when they dribble excrement as this.., We know the work the devs have done I see it in the files and in the gameplay and we aint knocking them back for their hard work, DayZ is only one of two games I play, 2! I have dedicated my precious time through Alpha from 0.49/0.50 to now, and its not just to keep myself amused but I actually trial and test features as well, So as you can tell Im a tiny bit annoyed, but honestly Im this way all the time, very blunt, you have made no change. Creative criticism is not intended to stimulate hate or anger, if you cant tell the context then dont comment to it, your not doing yourself any favors doing so, But again its the internet people do and say dumb shit all the time without mindfulness, either way I support the devs and their work and we as a community let them know how us the actual players rate the game (not their work) all so they may see that the majority of their players have shed light on a key issue with the devs' interests in mind, And if you didnt know, there is no relocation of coding time as they have a relay to deal with the forums, eg...  DayZ Forum Team, so again Im not sure you know what your on about but I can certainly show you where you stand in regards to your comments, without resorting to a totally troll like behavior.

I anticipate the games new content (well redone old content) and continue to enjoy the game with future new content being added, I really want volt back and of course throwing and I think I read something about scaling/climbing? return of all the weapons, survival aspects, tweaked realistic physics to ballistics and inertia its all in their waiting to blow our minds,.. shooting from vehicles, little bird helicopters, dead bodies not de-spawning but slowly decaying before returning to the ground leaving their gear, This is what we all are waiting for, whether it was promised or not this is some of what the players want to see in the game, all of this is without mentioning the modding aspect yet.

Im sure BI has enough funding to make this game progress a bit faster, it not like they are working on ten or twenty or more titles, they can manage it definitely without low balling for micro transactions.

Drops mic.....💥

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

4 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Number one thing people dont do on the internet is think before they speak/type,... all niceness aside, fuck your judgement, if your smart enough then you wouldnt of commented. Micro transactions will be the death of this game (at least to the original players, the survivalists, the veterans) Freedom of speech is what a forum kinda is for, so if there are people complaining, maybe its a sign of a real issue at hand,.. creative potential? precious time? Are you fucking joking? Thats what the devs are paid to do is use their potential and spend their precious time on this game. Im not amused at pocket pissers trying to create something thats utterly useless to the community when they dribble excrement as this.., We know the work the devs have done I see it in the files and in the gameplay and we aint knocking them back for their hard work, DayZ is only one of two games I play, 2! I have dedicated my precious time through Alpha from 0.49/0.50 to now, and its not just to keep myself amused but I actually trial and test features as well, So as you can tell Im a tiny bit annoyed, but honestly Im this way all the time, very blunt, you have made no change. Creative criticism is not intended to stimulate hate or anger, if you cant tell the context then dont comment to it, your not doing yourself any favors doing so, But again its the internet people do and say dumb shit all the time without mindfulness, either way I support the devs and their work and we as a community let them know how us the actual players rate the game (not their work) all so they may see that the majority of their players have shed light on a key issue with the devs' interests in mind, And if you didnt know, there is no relocation of coding time as they have a relay to deal with the forums, eg...  DayZ Forum Team, so again Im not sure you know what your on about but I can certainly show you where you stand in regards to your comments, without resorting to a totally troll like behavior.

I anticipate the games new content (well redone old content) and continue to enjoy the game with future new content being added, I really want volt back and of course throwing and I think I read something about scaling/climbing? return of all the weapons, survival aspects, tweaked realistic physics to ballistics and inertia its all in their waiting to blow our minds,.. shooting from vehicles, little bird helicopters, dead bodies not de-spawning but slowly decaying before returning to the ground leaving their gear, This is what we all are waiting for, whether it was promised or not this is some of what the players want to see in the game, all of this is without mentioning the modding aspect yet.

Im sure BI has enough funding to make this game progress a bit faster, it not like they are working on ten or twenty or more titles, they can manage it definitely without low balling for micro transactions.

Drops mic.....💥

I appreciate your speech you truly believe in what you say but I`m afraid I have to let the logic and facts speak for me and the truth I have provided for the public.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Survivor1431 said:

I appreciate your speech you truly believe in what you say but I`m afraid I have to let the logic and facts speak for me and the truth I have provided for the public.

Yep whatever floats your boat mate, Im glad I live in reality and not the notion of your illusions. 👏

i have that feeling that game engine is just big mess and even devs dont know can they introduce all features...
sad thing is that this new "game-engine" is allready outdated.

Spoiler
8 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Drops mic.....💥

I understand your indignation well, about the state of progress of the transition to the new engine. But what about those players who complained about the performance of the server \ PC, low FPS. How long can you ignore the poor state of the game, in terms of performance, to stay on the old engine?
What kind of compromise would suit you?
a)
1. Leave DayZ as it was before, leave the development team to solve this problem and leave the players with this problem.
2. Recruit a new DayZ-Enfusion development team and release a separate DayZ-Enfusion.
3. Players who are not satisfied with the performance of the game, send to buy DayZ-Enfusion.
b)
1. Leave DayZ as he was before, leave the problem and leave the players with this problem without support.
2. The DayZ development team is releasing a separate DayZ-Enfusion.

Edited by lex__1

2 hours ago, kopo79 said:

i have that feeling that game engine is just big mess and even devs dont know can they introduce all features...
sad thing is that this new "game-engine" is allready outdated.

The new Enfusion engine is not the problem. First of all, DayZ is a hybrid between Enfusion and the RV engine. And because it is a hybrid, some graphical features are not possible to achieve. Currently BI is still developing Enfusion (part of the ARMA3 team jumped on this a year or so ago). The first real test of Enfusion will be probably be Arma 4.

However, it is true that it is a new engine/hybrid for DayZ so the devs do find problems and difficulties with it, but the idea of going back to the 0.62 era? Hell nah!

17 minutes ago, lex__1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I understand your indignation well, about the state of progress of the transition to the new engine. But what about those players who complained about the performance of the server \ PC, low FPS. How long can you ignore the poor state of the game, in terms of performance, to stay on the old engine?
What kind of compromise would suit you?
1. Leave DayZ as it was before, leave the development team to solve this problem and leave the players with this problem.
2. Recruit a new DayZ-Enfusion development team and release a separate DayZ-Enfusion.
3. Players who are not satisfied with the performance of the game, send to buy DayZ-Enfusion.

None of those options I can decide on, I havnt had very much FPS drop since the enfusion engine was properly implemented to the game, I know with the old engine I would get freeze spikes and lags and desync and would smash my frames to 0-1fps for a few seconds (usually life threatening times at that), I rarely get freezes, stutters and lags now and performance is much better also (PC version), The dev team is doing well its just the amount of content is slow, given it being a small team thats not too bad at all, And patients is a virtue, that I can understand too, though its just been a long time just to get it to here and now,....

5 minutes ago, amadieus said:

The new Enfusion engine is not the problem. First of all, DayZ is a hybrid between Enfusion and the RV engine. And because it is a hybrid, some graphical features are not possible to achieve. Currently BI is still developing Enfusion (part of the ARMA3 team jumped on this a year or so ago). The first real test of Enfusion will be probably be Arma 4.

However, it is true that it is a new engine/hybrid for DayZ so the devs do find problems and difficulties with it, but the idea of going back to the 0.62 era? Hell nah!

As you say there is no option to go back to the old DayZ a much needed progression definitely, I think its just the content that needs to be checked, then checked again and pushed out for us to find the bugs (if any) whilst we play quietly lol... Im sure if enfusion needs any updating/upgrading to add features it needs I doubt it would be too hard to code it into it.

2 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Im sure if enfusion needs any updating/upgrading to add features it needs I doubt it would be too hard to code it into it. 

Arma3 exists since 2013. 6 years have passed, there are still requests for performance and features, the implementation of which is faced with problems on the RV engine. It is easy to create a function, it is more difficult to implement it, so that the function would not violate the work of other functions or cause critical errors. Enfusion is a modified RV. If you know how easy it can be done on a modified RV (Enfusion) - declare it.

If a developer follows the path of accelerating all development processes, by increasing the number of employees in the development team, the total amount of expenses will increase accordingly. This will lead to a high price of the game. How much value of the game would you consider affordable for most customers?

I will cite as an example, but I will not name the developer and the game (I will call this game “X”), in which there is a large team, but on the forums you can find a lot of direct or indirect requests to reduce the price of content. At the same time, there are also many requests and complaints about the functions and there are some small performance problems. The game is able to capture the player’s attention for a long time, forcing him to be faced with a choice of constant financial investments.I will say one more important thing - there are also many messages in the style of "Your game will die if you do not reduce prices or something else ...".
By my comparative estimates:
- the base of players in the game "X" is less than in Arma3 by one order.
- The base of players in the game "X" is about the same as in DayZ, or so.
- If we compare the financial investments of one player in the series Arma3 \ DayZ for the entire development period from 2013 to 2019, then the player in the game "X" spends the same amount for 1 year of play.

If in Arma3 or DayZ, there was the same financial approach as in game “X”, most of us would have left this place for a long time and would not have written about anything here. These are the conclusions of my short practice in the game "X" for a year of attention in the game, without financial investments.

I am not saying that criticism should be banned or should be banned here.
At this stage of development - My criticism, these are my tickets for https://feedback.bistudio.com/project/view/2/.
I think that this is more necessary and can help to develop.

Edited by lex__1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:42 PM, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

...is because there will be so little in it players will go crazy.

Think about it, if they really had a robust list of things to put in it, or even everything (or 80%) that said would be in it...wouldn't they do it?

I would, you would, any sensible person or business would...its GOOD business. Thats how marketing works. Coming Soon works, does it not?

If a prospective customer saw a nice list of cool things to come...wouldn't that increase sales all around quite a bit?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see some of the features promised to us in years past as DLC. Ylands dropped with a store right out of the gate. I thought that was a very interesting thing to do with a game thats in EA on Day 1. Ylands is dear to the CEO's heart, he's said it on his twitter. Day 1 and there was a store to buy in-game money for stuff in-game that wasn't even available to purchase yet. The message is clear.

Look at Arma 3...Karts, are you kidding me? Look at the direction of their DLC: Karts (lol), Jets, Helicopters, Marksmen, Tanks. Arma 3 sold Apex/Tanoa, is it really an outlandish idea to think Namalsk won't be a paid DLC?

There has never been a roadmap, I think it started off well with Rocket then it went down hill after that. There has been a good number of changes, so maybe that is why?

10 hours ago, lex__1 said:

Arma3 exists since 2013. 6 years have passed, there are still requests for performance and features, the implementation of which is faced with problems on the RV engine. It is easy to create a function, it is more difficult to implement it, so that the function would not violate the work of other functions or cause critical errors. Enfusion is a modified RV. If you know how easy it can be done on a modified RV (Enfusion) - declare it.

If a developer follows the path of accelerating all development processes, by increasing the number of employees in the development team, the total amount of expenses will increase accordingly. This will lead to a high price of the game. How much value of the game would you consider affordable for most customers?

I will cite as an example, but I will not name the developer and the game (I will call this game “X”), in which there is a large team, but on the forums you can find a lot of direct or indirect requests to reduce the price of content. At the same time, there are also many requests and complaints about the functions and there are some small performance problems. The game is able to capture the player’s attention for a long time, forcing him to be faced with a choice of constant financial investments.I will say one more important thing - there are also many messages in the style of "Your game will die if you do not reduce prices or something else ...".
By my comparative estimates:
- the base of players in the game "X" is less than in Arma3 by one order.
- The base of players in the game "X" is about the same as in DayZ, or so.
- If we compare the financial investments of one player in the series Arma3 \ DayZ for the entire development period from 2013 to 2019, then the player in the game "X" spends the same amount for 1 year of play.

If in Arma3 or DayZ, there was the same financial approach as in game “X”, most of us would have left this place for a long time and would not have written about anything here. These are the conclusions of my short practice in the game "X" for a year of attention in the game, without financial investments.

I am not saying that criticism should be banned or should be banned here.
At this stage of development - My criticism, these are my tickets for https://feedback.bistudio.com/project/view/2/.
I think that this is more necessary and can help to develop.

You make good points all of which are valid and understandable. If the enfusion engine is a prerequisite model for the Arma4 series Im assuming any added functions made to the engine to make it a viable part for the game will be made, no matter the cost as Arma4 will make it back plus more in sales according to the path of Arma3. I also want to make a tickets for bugs but every time I do its either already been made by somebody else (which is great), or my crash logs arnt there or I cant find the method of replication. Im not overly worried if there will be a roadmap or not, Im more worried about the release/return of regressed items in the game, Having those back in will make DayZ show its advancement is in motion and moving forward at noticeable pace.

This is the good thing about creative criticism right here.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

If the enfusion engine is a prerequisite model for the Arma4 series Im assuming any added functions made to the engine to make it a viable part for the game

Enfusion is mandatory not only for Arma but also for DayZ. RV interacts poorly with multi-threaded processors, which significantly reduces the ability to unlock the potential of the PC in the game. As for the development of DayZ and Arma on Enfusion, Arma will need much more functionality than DayZ. This cannot be fully compared with the DayZ release as Mods in Arma2 using the Arma2 functionality. In 2013, DayZ was not released as Mods Arma3. Creating any game on the Enfusion platform is a separate development process and will take no less time and effort than the DayZ development will have.
This can probably be compared with the way the schematic and functionally basic model of any machine looks the same, but in detail all the machines are different and each development is a big process.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:39 PM, lex__1 said:

How can you help that DayZ could become such a game for you in the future?

I already did my part. I bought the game. Now they need to do their part.