Steve Simpson

Cross Platform Xbox & PS4 not PC

Would it be possible in the future for cross platform play between Xbox One and PS4. I have friends that play both and it would be great to play with them. 

If cross platform was limited to Xbox and PS (both controller based) would be rather fair. Including PC would cause possible problems in regards to fair play compatibility. The PC player base I imagine will be bigger than the Xbox and PS community anyway.

Would help you populate the Console servers too.

Thanks

It's something I'd like to see (inc PC) whether its practical/possible though is another thing.

I'd like to play with our consolian brethren.

I dont see why it would be so much of a problem console to console. But i'm no game developer.  

I don't know this for certain but I think the issue is with Sony. They wouldn't allow cross platform with minecraft and I gather that they are also not going to allow it with CoD Modem Warfare. Apparently they'll only allow it cross platform with pc. Not sure if Sea of Thieves allowed it? 

Xbox to PlayStation would be good (don't think will happen though) but I wouldn't want PC to console. PC players would have too much of an advantage in a fire fight etc.

6 minutes ago, ZXDMCFCWoody007 said:

Xbox to PlayStation would be good (don't think will happen though) but I wouldn't want PC to console. PC players would have too much of an advantage in a fire fight etc.

Yeah, they'd have to have separate servers for K&m players on consoles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Simpson said:

I dont see why it would be so much of a problem console to console. But i'm no game developer.  

It's not. It's about two giants not wanting to collaberate with the risk of loosing market shares. 

Think about it, if it did not matter what console you where playing on, you could still play with all friends. What is the point of two consoles? How could Sony get you to buy their console? Or Microsoft's console? 

Then it would be down to control preference and exclusive games. 

But what I've read it's mostly Sony not wanting to do it. 

7 minutes ago, bent.toe said:

It's not. It's about two giants not wanting to collaberate with the risk of loosing market shares

It's a shame too because the exclusive game aspect will generally determine which console you stick with. Forza vs Gran Turismo etc. I only play on xbox one because I had a 360 and so all my online friends are, by default, xbox players. It reminds me of the vhs/betamax competition. Unfortunately, it isn't always the best one that wins either. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy

Phil Spencer mentioned years ago that Microsoft would be up for cross play between Xbox and PS.

Still no word from Sony...

Guess that indicates where their priorities really are..

6 hours ago, Nayte said:

Phil Spencer mentioned years ago that Microsoft would be up for cross play between Xbox and PS.

Still no word from Sony...

Guess that indicates where their priorities really are..

The back story is (what i read on several gaming sites) is that when Microsoft was biggest on the console market with xbox 360 and Peter moore as frontman, Sony contacted them and tried to do cross platform with their ps3. Microsoft said no. Now when ps4 is the biggest console, xbox and Phil spencer have tried to reach out but Sony have said no.