Senchi (Lead World Designer)

Zeleny (Engine Programmer)

Žďárská (Physics Designer)

Nespesney (Lead Designer)

...what's going on?

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

Maybe he didn't quit, maybe he took all the monies and ran? OR.. he was perhaps an employee under contract. A contract which had a time on it? It's a little presumptuous to say he "quit" DayZ. 

Does this mean the position is open? I have a few ideas...

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

27 minutes ago, Max Planck said:

Remember...bears!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, [Gen]Adzic said:

Maybe he didn't quit, maybe he took all the monies and ran? OR.. he was perhaps an employee under contract. A contract which had a time on it? It's a little presumptuous to say he "quit" DayZ. 

Maybe he didn't quit...sure, maybe he was fired? Lets not quibble about a word that not only stands on it own as a definition, but also is easily a synonym for leave/withdraw from/stop etc. 

Quit /kwit/

1. leave (a place), usually permanently
  2. resign from (a job).
  3. stop or discontinue (an action or activity).
23 minutes ago, Max Planck said:

Yea, what are you thinking?

2 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

lcj2J9A.png

So many key players have left...

Hall (Creator)

Torchia (Lead Art Designer)

Hicks (Producer then Creative Director)

...what's going on?

I doubt we’ll ever know, but that doesn’t mean that he left for negative reasons. 

4 minutes ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

Why is it always DOOM when a guy progresses in his career?

Maybe because New People need to get hired and they always want to re-invent the wheel?

Maybe time is lost filling in the New guy?

Maybe a lead designer is not just a guy?

I could go on but you see where im going with this. 

Dont forgot 0.62 was playable this version is no where near. People want fixes, clarity, vision. What do we get? People jumping ship, well at least it looks like it. Again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 3

No Doom and Gloom from me, I'd speculate his departure has something to do with the game being released on PS4, maybe his obligations were fulfilled once that happened.  I wouldn't blame anyone for going on to greener pastures, especially this group.

58 minutes ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

It's not always, it's a case by case basis and in this case, everyone here should be alarmed when the lead designer abruplty leaves...especially after its creative director left abruptly before 1.0. Hicks didn't exactly progress his career (inXile Entertainment isn't exactly a move up), so why is Nespesny moving on to bigger and better things by default? I obviously wish him the best and stuff (I liked how he wanted to make things harder), but we don't know anything.

The state of the game right now is in the balance. DayZ did the meat of it's PC sales in the first year to year and a half which was over 2M copies, this is 5.5 years later and sales are at a stand still at around 4M with the last 2-3 years selling less than ~500k PC copies. 

There used to be viewable figures at SteamSpy.com but now it says this: "Access restricted. This feature is only available to users with special access rights. Sorry."

I actually have a screenshot from March 9th, 2017. The below figure was slighlty off and an edit came in shortly after that said they were right under 4M in sales. I think they're still around 4M in PC sales.

vfKQ1q7.png

Confirmation of sales from 1.2015 (3M)

Confirmation of sales from 11.2018 (4M)

The last bastion of hope for DayZ is console sales. Look at the release of DayZ and look at the requirements for Valve and Early Access. Dean wasn't being cool in telling people not to buy the game because it has bugs/unfinished/etc, thats actually a requirement of Valves Early Access program. They pushed a bunch of broken tools out just to meet those requirements at 1.0. Legally, DayZ can stop development on PC at any time now.

Since those Valve requirements have been met, DayZ has gone increasingly radio silent with the public at large. I think it's time to be alarmed and worried. I never jumped on the Dean took the money and ran and supported DayZ up and down like a cheerleader at times. But dang man, if the writing isn't on the wall.

Leadership roles are a death sentence at BI and we shouldn't be alarmed at this point in time?

Edited by Weyland Yutani (DayZ)
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

5 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

lcj2J9A.png

So many key players have left...

Hall (Creator)

Torchia (Lead Art Designer)

Hicks (Producer then Creative Director)

...what's going on?

Always a sad day for us DayZ gamers when someone in the upper ranks of the dev team leaves, I hope this game doesnt get abandoned I really dont, I wish the people who have left get to see this game in a completed state, Having spine tingling thoughts of DayZ wash my mind like a wet newspaper being sucked into a storm drain on the side of the road in a thunderstorm sickens me... I really love this game and a thank you, a big thank you to all those who have put in work over the years developing it, I wish Peter all the best in his future endeavors (Im sure we all do here). Perhaps some crosses for all that have gone be appointed to the top of the hill between lopatino and vybor overlooking lopatino fields in the foreground with the Big Red Barn in the background in remembrance? I know Id visit them.. Though the work must continue as the wheels of progress slow for no one, The zeds are hungry.

Edited by ICEMAN-FMCS

So who replaces him, and are they continuing with the same design goals? Please don't tell me we'll get some PS4/Xbox-oriented guy with a lot of ideas of broader appeal, arcade-fun mechanics and streamlining taking his place (lol).

• Haha 1
  • Beans 3

This definitely needs to get addressed by the dev team. Shed some light on the community. Let us know if goals will change, who's taking over etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 5

What makes you think that there will be someone new.....it is all about getting the game fixed and bring back some features.... I am sure they will continiue with the team as it is for the rest of the year. Enfusion engine is now being worked on mainly by the Arma team anyway ....

No point in vague assumptions

10 hours ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

actually a requirement of Valves Early Access program

I think that this is not the case, as EA games always state as a warning that development might not continue at all. 

He could be replaced by somebody internally (Arma3 team changed lead figures couple of times internally)... Maybe there is no need for a lead designer as everything is generally set in stone... Or maybe we are all doomed and we will end up with a buggy unfinished game... Time will tell... Looking forward to 1.04 though!

13 hours ago, sausagekingofchicago said:

Cause too many crying living-in-mommies-basement kiddies escapes reality on internet forums...

I do not intent to point directly but in the lines: maybe it's strategically chosen for improvements?

Lets not insult other users even though they may be vocal in a immature way.

People come and go *all* the time, this is normal.

Don't Panic.

When the devs have something to tell us, they'll do so.

Dont forget the Ps4 release has just launched, we've a long way to go before DAYZ "ends".

Doris our office cleaner just quit.... should I be worried? She finished the toilets then handed her notice in..... what the hell is going on?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, andysuter said:

Doris our office cleaner just quit.... should I be worried? She finished the toilets then handed her notice in..... what the hell is going on?

she's tired of your shit ?

thanx

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, amadieus said:

No point in vague assumptions

I think that this is not the case, as EA games always state as a warning that development might not continue at all. 

He could be replaced by somebody internally (Arma3 team changed lead figures couple of times internally)... Maybe there is no need for a lead designer as everything is generally set in stone... Or maybe we are all doomed and we will end up with a buggy unfinished game... Time will tell... Looking forward to 1.04 though!

Wrong.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/earlyaccess

5 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Don't Panic.

Dont forget the Ps4 release has just launched, we've a long way to go before DAYZ "ends".

Immature?

Yea, this does not happen *all* the time...that's preposterous. The entire process is completely atypical. Game creators dont normally leave shortly after release of an Early Access title, creative directors do NOT typically QUIT right before 1.0,  and lead designers do not typcially leave during critical stages of final development.

Everybody is quitting...don't panic?

No roadmap telling you what you're going to get after 5.5 years of SA development...dont' panic?

We dont't talk to the master race anymore because your kind isn't buying enough from us...don't panic?

We're pushing out broken builds now and NO we will NOT answer your basic questions, you'll get what you get when we decide you get it so DEFINTELY...don't panic?

That guy with the white glasses on the Xbox live stream who doesn't know what guns, cars, or features are coming to the build after 5.5 years...don't panic?

When you call our phone and you hear crickets on the other end...don't panic?

4 hours ago, andysuter said:

What a fair comparison! Lead Designer is as important to an office as an office cleaner, hmm. OK!

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, OrLoK said:

Don't Panic.

How do we have "a long way to go before DAYZ "ends""? How do you know?

17 hours ago, -Gews- said:

So who replaces him, and are they continuing with the same design goals? Please don't tell me we'll get some PS4/Xbox-oriented guy with a lot of ideas of broader appeal, arcade-fun mechanics and streamlining taking his place (lol).

I hear this guy is replacing him...

d4CVkbo.jpg

Not everyone want to live rest of their life in Czech 😉 That's at least what I thought about Dean, Torchia and Hicks leaving.

57 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

It says that a developer can discontinue development whenever they want, which is what I meant. They always could legally stop development if they wanted. Perhaps we misunderstood each other as I wasn't hinting about the fact that Steam does encourage developers to not market their game as released material, as you mentioned. 

31 minutes ago, Weyland Yutani (DayZ) said:

I hear this guy is replacing him...

Who is that, and where did you hear this?

Edited by amadieus