andysuter

cooking food

So im having a problem with food and meat.

Ive been eating raw meat as im paranoid about lighting a fire, even though I think it would be great to sit around a camp fire and cook a steak.

What does everyone else do?

• Do you cook your food or stay hidden and eat raw?
  • Do you not bother with meat at all?
  • If you cook, how do you do it and where do you do it? Do you hide away or find a nice spot in the woods and have a sing song?

I've always cooked the meat I shoot, it's force of habit due to my server having working diseases. There are quite a lot of small shed type buildings that don't have windows and only one way in/out. I use these buildings to light a fire and cook my food as they shed no light to the outside world once the door is closed. Another option I use to cook the food/boil water is too do it in plain sight during the day. No one expects this and no extra light is emited from the fire as it's day time. When I say plain sight, I don't mean in the middle of the main highway on the coast etc. Never had an issue so far 😉

Edited by MetalHead2112

So eating raw meat still doesn't lead to sickness? Just great.

Regarding your question: for 'stealth' reasons, it's best (and quickest) if you can find a stove, a gas bottle and a cooking pod. In this manner, you can cook anywhere and quite fast. To save gas, try to cook as much as you can in one batch (the pot takes time to heat up).

With a camp fire, I can say you indeed seem to worry too much. 😉 I make campfires often and never get shot at (on low-to-medium-pop servers, I hate it when I have to wait in queue). Just remember to go to the woods, even half a kilometre away from Berezino would be more than enough. And of course, I wouldn't be that relaxed in the forests around Tisy. But in other parts of the Western and Northern wilderness stretches? You're fine.

And if you take time to get 8 stones to create an oven, it's even safer as it radiates much less light.

Secluded houses with kitchen stoves also work quite well and you can close the doors around you with lockpicks if that helps you relax.

• Beans 1

36 minutes ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

So eating raw meat still doesn't lead to sickness? Just great.

He got Salmonellosis . ..  ..  vomiting everytime he ate something

36 minutes ago, aux7 said:

He got Salmonellosis . ..  ..  vomiting everytime he ate something

As Aux says ive been vomiting everytime I eat or drink something now. Its lasted 2 game day cycles so far. Pills don't do anything. Im now about to die as my stomach level drops quite quickly and ive now run out of food. Aux left me alone too long in the game world lol and I ate raw beef from a cow I butchered with my hunting knife. (oh and I never actually wash my hands which I understand can cause issues too). So it does do something, just not straight away. 

This games a lot more realistic than I thought.... lesson learnt.

Edited by andysuter

1 hour ago, andysuter said:

As Aux says ive been vomiting everytime I eat or drink something now. Its lasted 2 game day cycles so far.

en route, got food . . .eta ??

26 minutes ago, aux7 said:

en route, got food . . .eta ??

i wont be on till 8:45 ish my time so dont get killed lol

1 hour ago, andysuter said:

i wont be on till 8:45 ish my time so dont get killed lol

3DFA7F5874EE404C57BDED6390584F1997AD296F

too late for andy . . .

Always cook it, nothings ever happened to me so far cooking ad I just do it outside in some tree/bushes. Make a small fire, grab a sharp stick and quickly cook 2 pieces of meat and done.  

On 5/23/2019 at 9:49 AM, andysuter said:

So im having a problem with food and meat.

Ive been eating raw meat as im paranoid about lighting a fire, even though I think it would be great to sit around a camp fire and cook a steak.

What does everyone else do?

• Do you cook your food or stay hidden and eat raw?
  • Do you not bother with meat at all?
  • If you cook, how do you do it and where do you do it? Do you hide away or find a nice spot in the woods and have a sing song?

Make a fire in a shed. As you explore, you'll find more types of buildings that all but completely eliminate light exposure from the outside. Furthermore, when you kill an animal, only take the fat (unless you've just spawned, at which point you should take and eat all of the animal's meat, leaving the fat for last).

Baked fat has the highest caloric value in the game and will last you quite a while. I generally run with two pieces of fat and a canteen. I can literally play all week like this. When your food drops to ~75%, let your character chomp on the fat three times, and you'll be back up to 100% almost instantly.

On 5/23/2019 at 11:19 AM, andysuter said:

As Aux says ive been vomiting everytime I eat or drink something now. Its lasted 2 game day cycles so far. Pills don't do anything. Im now about to die as my stomach level drops quite quickly and ive now run out of food. Aux left me alone too long in the game world lol and I ate raw beef from a cow I butchered with my hunting knife. (oh and I never actually wash my hands which I understand can cause issues too). So it does do something, just not straight away. 

This games a lot more realistic than I thought.... lesson learnt.

Here is a helpful link to guide you to the proper medication for any given malady. Food poisoning (caused by consuming raw meat, drinking Alcoholic Tincture, Disinfectant Spray, or Gasoline) is cured by Charcoal Tablets.