Blafirelli

Generic item labeling instead of fantasy names

Hi, i would like to get your opinion on following - 

Since some items (mainly guns and cars and few other stuff) in game can't have their original names due to copyright issues 😕 , would it create better experience for you if some kind of generic naming is used (in a same way e.g. food items are named), instead of completely made up fantasy names as it's right now?

Please find below some proposed examples of what i mean. Left side is actual name of the item in game, on the right proposal of what the label could change into.

Gunter 2 (originally Golf 2) -> German hatchback

CR75 (originally CZ 75) -> Czech police pistol

SG5-K -> Short german SMG

Pipsi -> Cola

etc. hope you get the idea.

Why is this an issue? At least for me (this is admittedly very subjective), seeing these made up lables sticked to items i encounter and refer to differently IRL is simply damaging the immersion.

what we EAT in  DayZ is    BEANZ 

what we drink  in  DAyZ  is RASPUTIN

what we shoot in DayZ is DayZ weapons with recognizable DayZ names

what we totally drive in dayz is totally dayz totally vehicles and their totally uniqueness is totally amazing they are not IRL vehicles

what we hit each other with in dayz melee is anything you've got, even if you don't know what it's called

BEANZ are good for melee too, you can eat them later

A can of Rasputin does not explode if you hit a player in the face with it I don't know why, it's a DayZ thing

even if you beat them to death you can still open the RASPUTIN afterwards without it blowing your beard off

this is not similar to real world ringpull cans.  It has to have a DayZ brand-name, because other IRL brands aren't made to be that useful.

IMO natch

55 minutes ago, Blafirelli said:

Hi, i would like to get your opinion on following - 

Since some items (mainly guns and cars and few other stuff) in game can't have their original names due to copyright issues 😕 , would it create better experience for you if some kind of generic naming is used (in a same way e.g. food items are named), instead of completely made up fantasy names as it's right now?

Please find below some proposed examples of what i mean. Left side is actual name of the item in game, on the right proposal of what the label could change into.

Gunter 2 (originally Golf 2) -> German hatchback

CR75 (originally CZ 75) -> Czech police pistol

SG5-K -> Short german SMG

Pipsi -> Cola

etc. hope you get the idea. Why is this an issue? At least for me (this is admittedly very subjective), seeing these made up lables sticked to items i encounter and refer to differently IRL is simply damaging the immersion.

doesnt really bother me in the game. I use different labels when it suits me when I talk about things. The pipsi and other cans have developed their own mythology, and it may be so with the guns.

though I have never thought of the LAR as a FAL even though they were the manufacturer, its always been an SLR for me

in my opinion the manufacters (of the real life products) have missed a marketing opportunity here but there could be other issues I dont know about

• Thanks 1

No, I'm glad they went this way and not what Arma 3 did and that is come up with totally own guns. It breaks immersion, to be honest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IMT said:

No, I'm glad they went this way and not what Arma 3 did and that is come up with totally own guns. It breaks immersion, to be honest.

Yes - sorry to be so flippant - but the next topic up from this one is headed <<  Want to trade LAR for AK >>   .. see what I mean? The guy wants to trade a KA for a FAL .. ??
I think, for weapons and cars in DayZ, it's obviously a trademark thing  .. I spent a few years wandering around DayZ with an AKM and never really noticed that this gun I LOVED is actually of course called an AKM in the real world BUT  some other weapons DONT carry their IRL name.. A FAL used to be a FAL.. er.. as far as I remember.. ?
I guess it might be a big pain in the neck to get written legal permission to produce a realistic 3D model of a weapon for use in a game, on internet, AND call it what the makers call it themselves.. it goes a bit further than just using text to describe a trademarked object.

And naturally - PEPSI - would do their nut  - they have offices full of teams of people paid to specialize in that (doing their nut) . Surprising that BI haven't been jumped on for having a can in the game that "looks like" a Pepsi ca .. a LITTLE BIT. 

Seriously - true story - there was a hassle I  remember about a cartoon series on British TV where the hero drank a pint of milk between fights and said "milk.. I love it" and there were complaints that the Milk Marketing Board (British milk pricing and quality)  was secretly hiding commercial ads in children's programs, AND on the other side from the shock-horror watchdog folk complaining that milk was being DIRECTLY linked to violence on children's TV, which would encourage milk drinkers be more violent. So the BBC took it out of the series. No one was being paid for anything, it was a scriptwriter who thought milk was good to drink.. kind of like breathing fresh air.. but, ya know, its a commodity, people buy and sell it, there is quality control and government oversight and it appears in a series where people punch each other.. So the BBC backed right out of that argument.  <seriously>

So I don't blame BI for side-stepping any of that 'license' - 'ownership' - 'trade-name' - stuff, considering the SERIOUSNESS of arms manufacturers. They are COMPETITIVE b@ggers for sure.   

And of course saying "A German car" could be taken as an attack on the quality of German car manufacturers, OR a claim that German vehicles are better than "Russian trucks"...   (oops!)

So really I agree with @IMT - naturally - but I hadn't noticed much that this well constructed 3D design weapon in DayZ is called a KA.. everyone STILL calls it an AK..
I hope BI brings the KAM back, because I LIKE AKMs

And a game that gave players - who choose what they like - EVEN the impression that a whatever H&K is better than a whatever Colt  .. would  just bring lawyers like vultures

.. or .. Try making the DayZ teddy-bear look like Micky Mouse.. see what happens.. (heh)..

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
~

Sometimes the generic is better than the fake. Sometimes it's worse. Sometimes I wonder why ARMA 3 managed to have the proper names for not only the same weapons, but the exact same 3D models DayZ is using.

Some fake names are better than others. Some fake names are fine in some circumstances. And sometimes a fake name is just as good as a real name. Think about that one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Sometimes the generic is better than the fake. Sometimes it's worse. Sometimes I wonder why ARMA 3 managed to have the proper names for not only the same weapons, but the exact same 3D models DayZ is using.
Some fake names are better than others. Some fake names are fine in some circumstances. And sometimes a fake name is just as good as a real name. Think about that one.

You have to wonder how much connection there was between Bohemia Interactive and Bohemia Interactive Simulations in the past.

I could guess it could be that the manufacturers of the weapons while it was associated with a full milsim tool, allowed the naming to carry over to Arma, or because of a close relationship between the two companies (BI & BIS).

With the sale of Bohemia Interactive Simulations to Riverside in 2013, I could suppose that the ip became a lot more sensitive. Arma and Dayz being games, the manufacturers wanted no association that might possibly affect their reputation (the manufacturer) maybe? The models would be Bohemia Interactive ip and so cannot be affected, or maybe have slight mods to only represent the weapon rather than actually model the weapon. In Arma, there were a full range of weapons from ancient to modern, with DayZ we only really have old weapons, no modern weapons. It will be interesting to see if those modern weapons make their way into DayZ.

It may even be that Bohemia Interactive Simulations do not want a potentially cheaper sim to interfere in their mil sim business and so will limit weapons and realism and hence are contractually restricting it. And again that could limit the modern weaapons.

Or Bohemia Interactive are having to negotiate the ip with each manufacturer for each weapon individually.

19 hours ago, aux7 said:

in my opinion the manufacters (of the real life products) have missed a marketing opportunity here but there could be other issues I dont know about

Afaik, the issue may be that apart from license to use RL product may charged, it oftens also come with restrictions of how/in which situtation the product is/isn't allowed to be displayed.

From what i heard it's often an issue in racing simulators, where some brands tend to provide their license only under condition there is no damage model, and their cars always look pristine in the game.

I assume it may get pretty complex to deal with all those requirements from different companies 🙂

>Suggests changing name of iconic items in game

cover6.jpg

14 hours ago, DeatHTaX said:

>Suggests changing name of iconic items in game

cover6.jpg

Well... it seems :)