Man Parts 241

I really hope this wasn't you...

I've come to realize that this game can be really fucked at times and it really is due to development.

I found a base today at a radio tower. I circled it noticing that it was indeed a complete base with a two story watchtower. I approached it cautiously and spoke out, “I'm friendly if anyone is home. Hello. Hello.” No answer. I waited.

I found the gate, opened it, it didn't have a lock (why would it?) and went inside. I looked around and nobody was home. Only thing I found was a buried stash. I didn't have a shovel, so I left to find one.

A buddy hmu and says he's close do I want to meet up. I'm like, “Sure. I found a base. I need a shovel. Be on the lookout for one.”

We start making our way towards each other. He finds another base or more like a camp with two military tents camo'd and a barrel. We rob that place first. I meet him there, I loot up on stuff I needed like ammo and mags, etc. We make our way back to the base with the stash while looting for a shovel.

I find a shovel. We head back. I decide to ghost into the corner of the base where there's a perfect hiding spot I noticed earlier. My buddy gets in before I do and heads into the shack. I spawn in-between the gate and the wall the base owner built. I couldn't move at all. I had to log out, log into a new server, move a few feet, and then back into the base's server.

As soon as I spawn in I'm standing behind a tree and I ask my buddy, “You're in the shack, right?” He says yeah. I'm like ok and proceed to empty my MP5 mag into this guy crouched on the other side of the tree up against a wall.

I couldn't take no chances with this guy. He was obviously listening to my buddy moving around in the shack, waiting with gun in hand for an opportunity to kill him.

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/man-parts/video/74239556

My buddy takes the shovel and buries the guy. As he's burying this guy he starts noticing stashes. They're everywhere. The crazy thing is I know duper stashes and these weren't it. The loot was random asf and so was the drybags, containers, etc. Even the dude himself was dressed in random clothes.

I felt like shit. And then I say to myself, “That's Day Z.” As I smh and think, should it really be like that?

Edited by Man Parts 241

It's ok. You were just protecting your friend. He'll respawn and gather more random stuff to bring back to his base. 

• Like 1

The ghosting part is what the question is about though, right?

And no, it really should not be like that. Ghosting is something that just shouldn't be possible. Period.

Server hopping in general creates so many issues for very little gain, it should be done away with permanently. Wanna play with your buddies on another server? - Start a new character there. It's not the end of the world and it is always just a bullet away anyhow.

Edited by Derleth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

every game has exploits  - DayZ has ghosting and duping - Using game exploits you know about to gain advantage doesn't make you a great person.
You know how to cheat - you cheated to kill some player who was playing straight  - and you say it shouldn't be allowed.

I know this sounds really OLD FASHIONED and BORING & DUMB, but just because you know a cheat doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

I play without ghosting and without duping.

That makes me thick, right?

And back in the PC days when there were other exploits, and hacks too, WELL sheeeeet - I DIDNT use those EITHER ...    what a dumbass I am. 
I could have screwed everyone's game up and laughed my ass off .

every game has exploits - we all know that.   I stay away from exploits.

BI is working to fix them - BIG PROBLEM for BI - But you can't use a known exploit to shoot a player in the back and then blame BI for it.
You just proved to one more player that the game is full of cheating bastards. You did that, not BI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

21 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

BI is working to fix them - BIG PROBLEM for BI - But you can't use a known exploit to shoot a player in the back and then blame BI for it.
You just proved to one more player that the game is full of cheating bastards. You did that, not BI.

You are right, the logic of fair play is in priority. But similar problems in the game can leave the player without an option. The problem should not put players in front of a choice, or provide the right to choose whether to use this method or not. On the video, the player did not deliberately find himself in this situation, without a choice of another action or behavior.
The game must provide the player with an input to the server where the coordinates of the incoming player should not be close to any other player unless the player is your friend.
The server must change the coordinates of the incoming player if the coordinates at the entrance to the server are occupied by another player. Coordinates should be close to those coordinates when the player left the server. But it should appear no closer than 500 or 1000 meters relative to the player who is already on the server.
Or something else that should not cause the appearance of players suddenly close.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, lex__1 said:

problems in the game can leave the player without an option

where the player's only option is to use an exploit  OR  lose fair and square ? - that's a choice ?

all games have exploits

3 hours ago, lex__1 said:

provide the right to choose whether to use this method or not

the game does NOT provide a "right to chose" - The game has a weakness that players can deliberately exploit.
You are saying a player has "the right to cheat" if it is possible to cheat, or he discovers a way to cheat - so Lance Armstrong has the right to dope -

not my philosophy.

I think BI must do their best to STOP this exploit..

= THIS IS OBVIOUS =

That does not mean that all players have "the right" to use an exploit because many people know how to do it.  Do you have "the right" to murder your mum because you're pretty sure you can get away with it ?
"I was ghosting and I had to shoot a guy because he was a threat"   <duh>  ?   What a SAD joke.

not my philosophy.

I think BI are putting a STRONG effort into closing these exploits  before morons use them to wreck the Xbox game totally for all players.
When I build a wall  or plant tents, it's to attract suckers like these. 
Because ..  selfish morons.. there are plenty of them around.   Specially on Xbox (why is that?)

I know there are plenty of exploiters who will quite DayZ when those exploits are closed, because the game will be too difficult for them.  They are boring people and they want an easy boring game.

Duping or ghosting in DayZ -  there is NOT any excuse for any player.  Everyone knows that.  Like snatching bags off old ladies - sure, that CAN be done, but PLEASE don't tell me you HAVE to do it or else you end up with less money.  That's a crap way to live.

LOL - only sh*theads do it but BI will fix it anyway.

p.s. << the coordinates of the incoming player should not be close to any other player >>   (leave out the friend stuff) - This was suggested WAY BACK .. search back through the blog it's interesting. ATM I believe the main gaming problem for DayZ on Xbox,  is with the XBL network. That narrows down the solutions BI can implement.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

the game does NOT provide a "right to chose" - The game has a weakness that players can deliberately exploit.

I know that on Arma servers there were always "game rules on the server", which limited the use of known game bugs. Players who used game bugs fell into the ban list. This is one of the essential ways to deal with problem players.
But the game DayZ has a feature - jumping on the servers. This feature is good for PvE games, which was probably supposed by the developer !!!! But for PvP games, this is a bad feature. It is difficult to evaluate and prove the "intentional or unintentional" use of a jump in a game.
Any player, at any time, may appear in front of another player or behind another player. This nuance of the game, even without a jump on the servers, a player may appear where there is another player, when it was not intentional, I call this - the players have no choice, where circumstances do not allow the player to play differently. This problem has no workaround, or a way to eliminate such a collision is a BIS problem, not a problem of players as a candidate for a ban.

Edited by lex__1
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, Derleth said:

The ghosting part is what the question is about though, right?

And no, it really should not be like that. Ghosting is something that just shouldn't be possible. Period.

Server hopping in general creates so many issues for very little gain, it should be done away with permanently. Wanna play with your buddies on another server? - Start a new character there. It's not the end of the world and it is always just a bullet away anyhow.

Server hopping. Without it there is no ghosting or duping.

Think about it. If there was no server hopping I'm pretty sure he would have put on a lock on the gate securing his base.

I would of had to either find a lock pick, guess the password, find something to break a wall, or just say fuck it and keep it moving. The entire situation would have played differently.

On the server hopping for little gain part, I'd say you're wrong. You can server hop any military crate spawn or tent and be geared in about an hour or less.

1 hour ago, lex__1 said:

Any player, at any time, may appear in front of another player or behind another player.

[fair point]

Make the LOG-OUT timer AND the login time LONGER... the timer was introduced to make ghosting & combat logout more difficult - but there were so many arguments and so MUCH SHOUTING about it that BI only dared to add a tiny little ITSY log in/ log out wait.. and make it an ITSY  BIT longer if you jumped servers several times.   Forget network connections and central hive and XBL network, Do it from INSIDE the game on the Server.. If you want to log out you are FROZEN on that server until IT gets around to recording the full server state, including what's on the map and what's in your pack, (like it does every X clicks)  and THEN your char is released. And if you decide to stop the logout, OK then you next time you try you freeze AGAIN and you wait until the whole server state (including your player) is recorded and then your character is released to log in somewhere else.  

that would mess up duping and hopping AND combat ghosting .. but the pooor players cant STAND having to wait a full minute or even 100 SECONDS  to log out after they've played a session, even if they can turn off their machine and the Server will deal with their tune while they take a dump. AND the player would also have to find a good safe place to log out..  and THAT is FAR too difficult for most players.. they dont want to have to REALLY pretend that DayZ is a survival game full of UNEXPECTED dangerous stuff !! <OMG!>  .. that's just sooooooooo TOO realistic !! 

so THAT never got off the ground   (LOL)

For logging IN.. you maybe live in a fort with 20 players, so there' no way you can safely log in anywhere and DEFINITELY not find someone close to you. EXCEPT IF you go off in the trees and log out in a SAFE PLACE (like I just SAID).  A place it's UNLIKELY you'll be spotted when you log in... er.. kind of like you WOULD in a survival game. (but NO...  that stresses the players too much!! finding a good place to logout..  .. we cant have "player stress" in DayZ or everyone would give up playing, right?  )

THAT makes DayZ sound like a REAL game for serious players who can make plans and think and .. stuff like that... wow! ..; imagine!

and ps.  Using a LONG logout -  if you try to use XBL to log in somewhere before your tune is released from your last Server, you have no character waiting for you, so you arrive on the beach in your underwear (the default login),  and that character will overwrite your old character the NEXT time you log out.  So if you have a server crash you'd better WAIT and log in to that SAME server when it comes up again or you are DEAD. there goes that 100 seconds out of your life.. what a PRICE to pay for a good game. Too high?

Simple aint it? If only  players could STAND to wait as LONG to log out as they have to wait [for instance]  to log back in after a server reset... 

but it seems they cant ! .. read back in the blogs, there are a million excuses and a GREAT Howling noise of Horror and Anger .. (and some interesting arguments too.. granted)

= and THAT was a WHILE AGO =

but for ME.. that seems a FINE solution. but I'm a minority.

- ARMA was fundamentally designed as a cooperative game for a team of friends.. so why would you cheat between friends? - It's pointless, and also you lose friends because you're crazy. - That's why the Mod was so easy to crack, half the key important stuff was right at home on your OWN PC where you could mess with it. So they had to start from scratch with SA.. Eventually they weeded out PC SA from all the BIG hacks and glitches and exploits.. the game was looking good, PLENTY of different play-styles, with more stuff promised..

- THEN they ran into the Xbox Live Network.. 

This is why,  Right Now Today - if you WANT to play FAIR against enemies and strangers & crazy EVIL KoSsers who ALSO PLAY FAIR (however badass they are)  - you should play on PC..  (that's the state of play right now) .. AND it's why more stuff is not being added back into the game. BI have a more serious problem they have to deal with first.

They took out half the GOOD STUFF from PC 0.62 so they could start the development CORE evenly with Xbox.. to build the CORE GAME side by side as ONE GAME, and then fork the two versions at the OUTPUT from the Full Game MODEL int Xbox and PC.. same game on each.  Once the SAME GAME was smooth on both output versions they could add in all the stuff that WAS in 0.62 and go right ahead adding MORE.

PC players could have a great 0.62++  version right now, with everything in it, and BI would putting their effort into sorting cars and forts .. BUT  Xbox kind of gets in the way of that.

Suddenly  XBL => dupers and deliberate Server crashes.
So BI ran into stuff they could NOT PREDICT until a few thousand Xbox players had messed with the game  long enough to hit it with the Xbox psycho hammer to find the cracks and then spread the word how to wreck it. Now BI have to sort THAT before they can go ahead as they planned. Otherwise PC and Xbox versions will NEVER be the same game on two platforms.

and that's what everyone wants.. right ? ONE DayZ Game the same on both platforms.

Seems to me that's how it is IMO - from being there and watching it happen.

BI have their own way of going about things. They WILL sort it. they always do. BUT BI also do games that are very popular with a MINORITY of fans.. They don't go for blockbuster "everyone-can-play" releases. They stand by their products for YEARS without DLCs or pay to play or DayZ Version II or buy-it-for-christmas addons .. You pay ONCE you play FOREVER .. They WILL sort it, but when it IS sorted - It will NOT PLEASE 70% of Xbox players, for sure. Just the same as it has always had FANS on PC but never blockbuster sales. It is NOT INTENDED to be THAT game. 

sorry - this is  IMO

(I'm just a guy walking past in the street, OK?) 

When Xbox DayZ works as it should, half the players will stop playing because they cant dupe and ghost.. it will make the game too difficult for them and they will get bored fast.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Make the LOG-OUT timer AND the login time LONGER... the timer was introduced to make ghosting & combat logout more difficult - but there were so many arguments and so MUCH SHOUTING about it that BI only dared to add a tiny little ITSY log in/ log out wait.. and make it an ITSY  BIT longer if you jumped servers several times.  

This does not solve the problem we are talking about. I do not jump on servers. I play on a regular PC server, where there are always 30-60 players. There is a high probability that when I first go to the server, I can appear next to another player, even in the depths of the forest. Or appear on the basis of another player who built a base on the coordinates on which I was leaving the day before yesterday.
In this situation, I have no choice in my actions, and I have no workaround, or excuse, as I got to a closed base ....
The DayZ game should have a system for the player to enter the server, which will provide the player with past coordinates - if there are no conflicting conditions (player’s presence within the coordinates or base), if there are conflicting conditions - provide the player with random, nearest coordinates, free of players or bases.
This will eliminate the ghostly appearance of players, each player will have a reserve in the distance for rapprochement and space for tactical maneuver. Even if someone tries to jump through another server, the system will not allow the player to be in a position advantageous for the attack. This will save the players to have thoughts about the dubious appearance of players behind your back or inside your base.

58 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

They took out half the GOOD STUFF from PC 0.62 so they could start the development CORE evenly with Xbox.. to build the CORE GAME side by side as ONE GAME, and then fork the two versions at the OUTPUT from the Full Game MODEL int Xbox and PC.. same game on each.  Once the SAME GAME was smooth on both output versions they could add in all the stuff that WAS in 0.62 and go right ahead adding MORE.

PC players could have a great 0.62++  version right now, with everything in it, and BI would putting their effort into sorting cars and forts .. BUT  Xbox kind of gets in the way of that.

I see this point tossed around a lot on the pc forums..

I’ve read that the game was reverted back to its core state to implement the new engine for .63.

I think some pc players just like to use the Xbox development (which by the way, is being developed by a separate team than the pc version) as an excuse. Particularly odd given the amount of time it took to get to .62 in the first place..

2 hours ago, Nayte said:

the Xbox development (which by the way, is being developed by a separate team than the pc version)

I don't think so - you will be talking about the two different platform versions AFTER the fork - where <the same game> is finalised (forked) for one platform or the other = > controler or keyboard etc, xbox vertex manipulation parameters ( .. whatever).  Sure there is a group working on Xbox controller that will NOT be working on perfecting PC keyboard input (I guess?)  -  But the Dayz Game Model is built on ONE development structure running on one software platform with ONE set of development tools..  Then that - single game - is forked at output so it runs on two different OS.  If you know different point me at the info.. but if you look back at the BI vids and interviews and comments you will see they have mentioned this "standardisation" , towards that single development-core, "single game" objective, and mentioned the work they have put into it,  for more than a year..

if I'm wrong - sure, point me to the facts - no problem.

3 hours ago, Man Parts 241 said:

On the server hopping for little gain part, I'd say you're wrong. You can server hop any military crate spawn or tent and be geared in about an hour or less.

I meant gain for the game as a whole. Moving between servers allows you to bring along an already active and geared character for whatever reason. That's it. It makes a mess of server economy, enables ghosting, duping and loot cycling, and for the stated purpose of playing with friends it is borderline useless anyway, since there is no character progress beyond gear, and the fact bases, cars and stashes stay on the server. 

Those who want to keep the system will say it is because it makes it easier to play with friends, but the truth is that most server hopping is made for loot or ghosting.

2 hours ago, lex__1 said:

I can appear next to another player, even in the depths of the forest.

So you're saying no player should ever spawn closer than 50m (for instance) to another player. If they is going to spawn closer they are moved in a random direction until they are at least 50m from any other player.  That means that three friends can't ever log out in their fort and log back in there together (for instance) ... there's NO way all the Xbox servers can keep an up to date list across all servers of who claims to be "friends" and who isn't,  that's for sure.   But that 50m radius spawn doesn't worry me.  Sure, I don't have any problem with that. Might mean you log out in town at the top of a house and log back in a LONG way from town in th woods, depending who's scattered around that region - I still don't find that a big problem if it keeps players happy.
But I'll bet a LOT of other people hate the idea though ?

6 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I don't think so - you will be talking about the two different platform versions AFTER the fork - where <the same game> is finalised (forked) for one platform or the other = > controler or keyboard etc, xbox vertex manipulation parameters ( .. whatever).  Sure there is a group working on Xbox controller that will NOT be working on perfecting PC keyboard input (I guess?)  -  But the Dayz Game Model is built on ONE development structure running on one software platform with ONE set of development tools..  Then that - single game - is forked at output so it runs on two different OS.  If you know different point me at the info.. but if you look back at the BI vids and interviews and comments you will see they have mentioned this "standardisation" , towards that single development-core, "single game" objective, and mentioned the work they have put into it,  for more than a year..

if I'm wrong - sure, point me to the facts - no problem.

They absolutely have a common core structure, though as you mentioned, they did fork out, this is where and when variations in development could, and frankly should differ.

From following other games which were developed and ported to console, using the same exact development structure, the pc version was not held back by the progress of the Xbox team. Often times, the pc development would be months ahead of where the Xbox version was.

There would be talk of both versions being nearly identical, though this wasn’t always the case. The vast majority of features were, though there were differences.

I really cannot imagine the pc team sits down to brief on what’s next in development, then say oh no we can’t continue any further until the Xbox team catches up. That would be ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:16 AM, Nayte said:

I really cannot imagine the pc team sits down to brief on what’s next in development, then say oh no we can’t continue any further until the Xbox team catches up

yes - as I said - that's because there are NOT TWO TEAMS...  there is a "variable allocation of resources" inside BI...which has quite a number of different projects ongoing  ATM.. - For instance do you consider Tencent and Microsoft to be BI working "projects" or only "Ylands" and "DayZ" to be projects?   Think there's an overlap?  (HELL YES)  ..  AND, naturally the majority of staff in BI are NOT programmers (max 30% of staff, tops, normally less) ..
Just as an INTRO to this "Dev" & "team" topic , try a web search on "how many programmers work on an AAA game".. that's a typical common question and you'll find SEVERAL intelligent VERY INTERESTING answers from people who have real experience, who answer much MORE than that "simple" question.   And also check Glassdoor.com and read the 30+ comments from working or ex Bohemia Interactive staff on the "style" the "pay rates" the atmosphere" the "expectations" "the direction" that they have experienced.. this stuff together with comments made in "approved" vids, directly and deliberately, and also picked up from partly unintentional comments.. and also from deliberate releases..  begin to give you a good picture of how BI and how "the DayZ team" functions, and to what extent it exists as an entity (the DayZ team).. And if you've worked in the same industry yourself, that helps you form an opinion too. BI is an interesting case IMO.
AND I like the game.
AND I like Indis.. How many European games creators & self-publishers  do we have left ?  
This corporate structure stuff is a hobby of mine, ya know?

BI - good luck to them. But I appreciate its difficult for a player to get a grip on the topic, or for a "Dev" to explain objectively.  PR is paid to handle that stuff, right?
That's why companies have PR. 

[Sorry, but I'm going to stay away from this "structural" topic now. I don't get any thanks for it, and folk get overheated and take it wrongly IMO.- NOT you @NAYTE- See you in some other debate or topic. Enjoy ]

Edited by pilgrim*
~

26 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

[Sorry, but I'm going to stay away from this "structural" topic now. I don't get any thanks for it, and folk get overheated and take it wrongly IMO. See you in some other debate or topic. Enjoy ]

For what it’s worth, I appreciate the info you provide, and will never become heated discussing these topics with you.

The dev live stream for Xbox, they mention there being two teams working together as we’ve discussed, however the Xbox team is located in a different office.

Check out from 3:30-4:50 if you’re interested:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

But I'll bet a LOT of other people hate the idea though ?

At least - Respawn in free coordinates will always give the player room to maneuver and eliminate suspicions of unfair play.
If friends played together, if the group was created in the previous session through "inviting a friend to the group" - the group will receive free coordinates in one location. If the group had common coordinates at the exit from the server, when entering the server, the group will receive coordinates at one point, provided that each member of the group enters the server in a single time interval, for example, 5 minutes. You can increase the time to get the same coordinates by the group, if the first player on the server does not change the location, expects the group in the location. In any case, the logic must be defined and adjustments must be made. In this process, any problems or opportunities for cheating should be excluded.
We can argue and assume that someone will like it or not. The simplified respawn system of players, as it is now, causes a lot of fraud on PvP servers, but it can remain active for PvE servers.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 11:03 AM, lex__1 said:

if the group was created in the previous session through "inviting a friend to the group"

I don't think BI can do that, in fact, technically .. but ask them about it  - I may be totally wrong.

p.s. I can think of 3 or 4 neat exploits right off the bat -  even if that "friend list" can be done technically...

There WERE ideas about "ownership of forts" = you can only respawn inside a fort if you own it or if you are a friend of the owner ("owner" puts you on a list maybe?).. but that seems to have faded out as an idea and now no one discusses it, far as I can see..
But spawning AWAY from any other players..  (even if you are playing solo) could mean you spawn quite a distance from the place you logged out, depending how players are scattered around and how popular the area is.. and I think (IMO) that MIGHT get a lot of bad reaction.
For myself, no big problem at all  -  so long as I don't spawn in a road and get hit by the next car coming into my "spawn space" at high speed, or spawn in a street in town with a sniper on the roof waiting for everyone to spawn in  NOT close to his two mates at key places on the ground.   BUT it would certainly irritate the hell out of hoppers, that's for sure..  (lol)

xxP

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

For myself, no big problem at all  -  so long as I don't spawn in a road and get hit by the next car coming into my "spawn space" at high speed, or spawn in a street in town with a sniper on the roof waiting for everyone to spawn in  NOT close to his two mates at key places on the ground.   BUT it would certainly irritate the hell out of hoppers, that's for sure..  (lol) 

Creating a group, inviting players to a group, audio communication and group chat and other options for group members has long existed and is widely used in Arma.
In itself, a grouping of players in a DayZ should not provide any general coordinates of the respawn for its participants. The same coordinates in the group are received by the members of the group who did not change the coordinates before leaving the server. If a member of the group has changed his coordinates before leaving the server, his coordinates will be calculated separately from the whole group, according to the coordinates for which he left. The base should not be a place of respawn for anyone, excluding any "tactical distance" conditions. All respawn should be consistent with the terms "tactical distance." I would even suggest that everyone should be able to choose their own "tactical distance", within any limits of 50 \ 100 \ .... \ 1000 meters, or determined by the server settings.
On some servers, there are even rules prohibiting respawn in key facilities (military bases, police stations and the like), placing bases / tents near such facilities. For such a violation a player may receive a ban. The reason for the ban is the abuse of a tactical advantage, where there is a high probability that the incoming player is in a better position. The player after respawn can inspect the camp through the texture or listen to the steps, on the subject of a potential opponent and victim, and successfully use the effect of surprise to attack.
This does not exclude the possibility of a client crashing the game or restarting the server when the player was in the perimeter of such an object. If a player receives the coordinates of a respawn at a military base, then there is no one near him at the moment, but this does not exclude the fact that someone is traveling in his direction. Everyone has some time for inspection and tactical action.
The tool of "tactical distance" should exclude any accidental close collision of players on the server with players entering the server.
Each player on the server and an incoming player is guaranteed to receive the initial distance of demarcation.
When a player at the entrance to the server receives the modified coordinates, it gives him the legal right to assume that there is another player nearby. This has a small advantage for the incoming. This does not give a significant advantage in order to gain any advantage over a player in the intended sector; each player always expects a rapprochement and looks around. For this, you need a distance, so that all players are in the same tactical conditions of convergence.

Edited by lex__1