aux7

Peter Nespesny (Lead Designer) is asking the community about Armor Protection and Damage on Twitter

Peter Nespesny (Lead Designer) is asking the community about Armor Protection and Damage on Twitter

KTkwCTz.png

It does mean that you have to have a twitter account to vote though. There is also a discussion on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/bkywdy/peter_nespesny_lead_designer_is_asking_the/

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I think the answer is "no" because a vest can be penetrated by one round, while remaining able to stop others.

If you just want balance then it's fine merely reducing the damage, only the values need some adjusting. But whether it reduces damage or takes damage until ruined, it's not really any more "authentic" than armour power-ups in an arcade game. If you want "authenticity" then there must be new mechanics re: armour penetration and geometry.

Just use real life as a guide: Helmets and soft armour should stop pistol and other low-powered rounds. Hard armour plates should stop every type of round in the game. Stopped rounds can do some "blunt", shock, whatever-you-call-it damage based on power of the round. Rounds that penetrate do more or less full the damage.

Armour currently protects the entire body part it's applied to, this is okay for a soft vest covering the whole torso, but to have hard plates, you need a small hitbox for it, otherwise you would have tortoise people tanking bullets. And if you ignored the plates and made soft vest only, it would be practically useless against rifles. 

Armour and bullets should have some value for calculating a pass/fail to penetrate. Probably the most important single number regarding the penetration for rounds and armour in game is simply the bullet's velocity. High-velocity rounds generally penetrate armour better than low-velocity ones. After that, the construction of the bullet and its kinetic energy. They don't have any weapons that might result in extreme cases of bypassing armour yet either by penetration or blunt damage, like a 20mm round, or a cannonball, but this stuff can be present in mods and they should think about the potential for such if ever redoing or improving the armour system.

• Like 2
  • Beans 2

32 minutes ago, Private Evans said:

I think it would be best to shut down the official forums ....

Now now, the off-topic area is still somewhat useful.

EDIT:

Could someone who has a Twatter account ask the Lead Designer why he made the poll there, instead of here? Thanks.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Max Planck said:

Could someone who has a Twatter account ask the Lead Designer why he made the poll there, instead of here? Thanks.

Regretfully that is not currently me. While I am slowly facing up to the fact that I will probably have to open a twitter account, it is not  happening in the next days . . .

Peter Nespesny 

I vote yes  armor should protect,

that way when i'm making a garden plot, i might survive getting shot in the back. dayz stand alone, I thought was not to be like the other games you guys make. 

Put the plates in the loot table that way we can make leather plate armor.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
add text

8 hours ago, Private Evans said:

I think it would be best to shut down the official forums ....

I don't like the Twitter stuff, either. The character limit and format is not conductive to in-depth, and persistent, ongoing discussions. 

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

I don't like the Twitter stuff, either. The character limit and format is not conductive to in-depth, and persistent, ongoing discussions. 

are you the "gewsofficial" on twitter? It kinda looks like your style, with the rifle on the header . .

Chanced based by prodection zone and area. 

Example: bullet to helmet, 40% chance of penetrating; and if penetration: headshot or reduced damage headshot.

Example: shot to balistic vest: 10% of penetrating; and if penetration: chest hit that ether counts reduced or not.

Example: shot to pants 95% of penetrating; and if penetration: leg hit that causes limp.

Ect ect: the idea is to put in a chance system as a replacement for specific area hit's. Like hart hits or gut hits: both chest hit's but chance system gives different damages. Chance statistics could be made up by the area: ie; hart 10%, stomach 30% liver & kidneys 20% and some non lethal chance 20% ect..

19 hours ago, aux7 said:

are you the "gewsofficial" on twitter? It kinda looks like your style, with the rifle on the header . .

Yup, that's my rifle. 

19 hours ago, hemmo said:

Chanced based by prodection zone and area. 

Example: bullet to helmet, 40% chance of penetrating; and if penetration: headshot or reduced damage headshot.

Example: shot to balistic vest: 10% of penetrating; and if penetration: chest hit that ether counts reduced or not.

Example: shot to pants 95% of penetrating; and if penetration: leg hit that causes limp.

Ect ect: the idea is to put in a chance system as a replacement for specific area hit's. Like hart hits or gut hits: both chest hit's but chance system gives different damages. Chance statistics could be made up by the area: ie; hart 10%, stomach 30% liver & kidneys 20% and some non lethal chance 20% ect..

Chance can be good, it's not a always bad thing, sometimes it's even a 100% realistic necessity (see: weapon dispersion) but gamers don't like much RNG, generally. And it sounds like massive importance is relying on RNG when the RNG decides whether your shot was a heart shot, or non-lethal.  I'd say that one is a non-starter.

Armour is tested using percent-chance measures, though. If you look up armour penetration tests you will see "V50", that's the velocity at which 50% of shots penetrate the armour. I don't think they need a V50 in DayZ, because then there's also V90, V0, all the other V%s. It's simpler just to have a pass/fail, acceptably realistic, and infinitely better than what we've got now.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Either way I'll still find sea chests full of Duped Plate carriers, & LAR's in bases with a hundred walls made purely of sheet metal, rendering the entire conversation moot. Apologies in advance for the whine....sometimes the sadness needs to overflow. Also i feel making the armour completely tank all damage before ruination is too arcadey for DayZ, basically just an over shield at that point.

4 hours ago, TheYetiBum said:

Either way I'll still find sea chests full of Duped Plate carriers, & LAR's in bases with a hundred walls made purely of sheet metal, rendering the entire conversation moot. Apologies in advance for the whine....sometimes the sadness needs to overflow. Also i feel making the armour completely tank all damage before ruination is too arcadey for DayZ, basically just an over shield at that point.

unfortunately for me, I havent found anything like this in my travels.

I dream of finding such a shangri la/city of gold . ..  though I am watching several bases being built now. . .  . and hoping  .

I mostly find random empty tents (not traps, well I didnt die, but I did the usual "approaching mil base procedure"),  or cars in various stages of assembly with miscellaneous random junk in. I just wonder what I am doing wrong . . .

Edited by aux7

On 5/8/2019 at 4:28 AM, aux7 said:

unfortunately for me, I havent found anything like this in my travels.

I dream of finding such a shangri la/city of gold . ..  though I am watching several bases being built now. . .  . and hoping  .

I mostly find random empty tents (not traps, well I didnt die, but I did the usual "approaching mil base procedure"),  or cars in various stages of assembly with miscellaneous random junk in. I just wonder what I am doing wrong . . .

You arnt doing anything wrong guy above you is just bullshitting lol