thag

Is this game officialy dead ?

Hopefully we are yes. This is the graph from the free weekend. You can see the decline (slight) to the start of April.

NJVsj4e.png

At that point you had the marketing for the xbox, and maybe the parents bought it for their kids . . . and they thought hey why not try it again. You also had the stable 1.02 release as you say. I know in my family group, parents have pcs, kids have xbox.

ELxQOn1.png

This is the area I think you are talking about with the spike around june 2016? . In my opinion DayZ was dead from mid 2017 with average numbers of 2000s peak numbers in the 4000s. I would suggest only the enthusiasts were playing. The free weekend brought me back into Dayz and this peak equates to the june 2016 peak. . .. I saw the article in PC gamer,  I think . . I definitively wasnt paying it any attention between 2015 ish to dec 2018

T6JJbIc.png

4 hours ago, aux7 said:

At that point you had the marketing for the xbox, and maybe the parents bought it for their kids . . . and they thought hey why not try it again. You also had the stable 1.02 release as you say. I know in my family group, parents have pcs, kids have xbox.

Funny, I see you a lot in the “kids” section of the forum, if you actually believe that...

4 hours ago, Nayte said:

Funny, I see you a lot in the “kids” section of the forum, if you actually believe that...

Im kinda guessing whats happening. I dont really check which "platform" is asking questions, unless its xbox specific - keypads etc

there are interesting discussions on xbox age distribution on other sites . .

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/xbox-association-1000003/average-age-for-xbox-gamers-26321179/

I dont have an xbox, I have my pcs for work as well as gaming

Edited by aux7

On 5/4/2019 at 5:37 PM, Max Planck said:

A fair salary and humane working conditions for all!

What the HELL? Seriously?

How does your comment at all help this conversation?

I swear you guys do this on purpose just to get the Forums livened up for a while....

If you HONESTLY feel it beyond reasonable to take a few minutes now and then to pick up your cell phone or laptop or whatever connected device you happen to have and browse the Forums, just to keep relevant and up to speed on the community.....then this is not your calling, my man....clearly.

You actually equate being a Doctor to being a Game Developer? (or you did not choose your analogy very wisely at least)

I can now see why "we" barely hear from you guys anymore....as it seems you do more harm than good when you offer these kinds of comments.

The majority of folks here, who have stayed with this game for a while now, are looking for a clear sign that Bohemia Interactive is GENUINELY interested in customer feedback and is responsive when asked by a great many of those customers to be more forthcoming with therir plans and intentions for this title going forward.

Your chiming in with the Soapbox reference and a plea for us all to have mercy on you because you don't "work" the Forums on your days off is simply not smart. It is indicative of the way "we" feel we have been treated by this Game Company and it is not moving the discussion forwards in any way. If you are a volunteer, then so be it...you should by now recognize that moderating these forums is perhaps a little more time-consuming than you are capable of at this point in your life and we would appreciate that you move this responsibility on to someone who may be more willing to commit a few more hours a week toward keeping us up to date with any news. And also helping to bridge the gap between developers and their audience. If you do this and are getting "paid" for it.....then please connect me to your manager.

If there is no "news", or no "updates", or no dialogue at all coming from the Developers of this title....then it pretty much kills the games chances of being taken seriously, sorry. One of those three activities just HAS to be visible to the customer at any give time if not all at the same time...

What can possibly be worse than bad News?...… I'll tell you...… it's NO NEWS!

• Beans 2

10 hours ago, aux7 said:

Hopefully we are yes. This is the graph from the free weekend. You can see the decline (slight) to the start of April.

NJVsj4e.png

ELxQOn1.png

This is the area I think you are talking about with the spike around june 2016? . In my opinion DayZ was dead from mid 2017 with average numbers of 2000s peak numbers in the 4000s. I would suggest only the enthusiasts were playing. The free weekend brought me back into Dayz and this peak equates to the june 2016 peak. . .. I saw the article in PC gamer,  I think . . I definitively wasnt paying it any attention between 2015 ish to dec 2018

T6JJbIc.png

Seems like we aren't talking about the same graphs. I wasn't even going back as far as 2016, I'm talking about a timespan from now and approximately 6 months back. Most spikes just indicate that a signficant patch was released and people come check it out and then it slowly declines again.

The graphs I used convey way more information. Here, have a look: https://steamdb.info/app/221100/graphs/

2 hours ago, philbur said:

What the HELL? Seriously?

How does your comment at all help this conversation?

I swear you guys do this on purpose just to get the Forums livened up for a while....

If you HONESTLY feel it beyond reasonable to take a few minutes now and then to pick up your cell phone or laptop or whatever connected device you happen to have and browse the Forums, just to keep relevant and up to speed on the community.....then this is not your calling, my man....clearly.

You actually equate being a Doctor to being a Game Developer? (or you did not choose your analogy very wisely at least)

I can now see why "we" barely hear from you guys anymore....as it seems you do more harm than good when you offer these kinds of comments.

The majority of folks here, who have stayed with this game for a while now, are looking for a clear sign that Bohemia Interactive is GENUINELY interested in customer feedback and is responsive when asked by a great many of those customers to be more forthcoming with therir plans and intentions for this title going forward.

Your chiming in with the Soapbox reference and a plea for us all to have mercy on you because you don't "work" the Forums on your days off is simply not smart. It is indicative of the way "we" feel we have been treated by this Game Company and it is not moving the discussion forwards in any way. If you are a volunteer, then so be it...you should by now recognize that moderating these forums is perhaps a little more time-consuming than you are capable of at this point in your life and we would appreciate that you move this responsibility on to someone who may be more willing to commit a few more hours a week toward keeping us up to date with any news. And also helping to bridge the gap between developers and their audience. If you do this and are getting "paid" for it.....then please connect me to your manager.

If there is no "news", or no "updates", or no dialogue at all coming from the Developers of this title....then it pretty much kills the games chances of being taken seriously, sorry. One of those three activities just HAS to be visible to the customer at any give time if not all at the same time...

What can possibly be worse than bad News?...… I'll tell you...… it's NO NEWS!

I think you have misunderstood both my post and my role on these forums. So, let's get it clear.

I am not part of the dev team and I have no contact with the dev team, besides community managers.

I am a forum user with an expanded toolset, expected to help clean up spam and keep the peace. This is voluntary and unpaid, and I am allowed to have my own opinions.

I do really think that no one should be pressured to perform tasks for their employer in their personal time.

I do not think that developer communication is adequate and I have voiced this at regular intervals over the last seven years.

Any questions?

• Haha 1
  • Beans 10

1 hour ago, IMT said:

Seems like we aren't talking about the same graphs. I wasn't even going back as far as 2016, I'm talking about a timespan from now and approximately 6 months back. Most spikes just indicate that a signficant patch was released and people come check it out and then it slowly declines again.

The graphs I used convey way more information. Here, have a look: https://steamdb.info/app/221100/graphs/

ok, interesting.

4 hours ago, Max Planck said:

Any questions?

Thanks for the response, though.

I know you're not a DayZ dev.

I know it is unlikely that you get compensated for moderating a forum.

It sure sounds like you do not believe in working a single minute more than you absolutely HAVE to....

You don't have the answers, so No.... No further questions.

I DO, However, appreciate the work you guys do here....to keep the peace and to make sense of it all.

• Beans 1

27 minutes ago, philbur said:

It sure sounds like you do not believe in working a single minute more than you absolutely HAVE to....

I think that's a bit unfair. The post that drew your ornery reply was written on a Saturday for starters, and I'm actually here every day trying to make the forums at least slightly better.

I do believe though, that the relationship between employers and employees should stay professional. That means compensation according to contract. If not, workers will have to engage in a race to the bottom, and working conditions will suffer for all. Look at the 'crunch time' practices in the software industry as an example.

I think what you really want is information, and I don't know anymore than you do. And, as I said, I wish the devs would engage with the forums more often. In their working hours, that is.

• Beans 4

On 5/4/2019 at 7:00 PM, IMT said:

Big problem is, the publisher can't fire the developers because it's published and developed by the same company. They better start to get the lead out and start doing things right.

Correct, but the publisher can invest more money and expand the dev team. I believe this usually requires bringing in some investors and to do so, the product should be promising, or at least hyped.

The game IS promising, and we're past the hype, but BI is investing itself in a game that most companies tend to avoid because it's risky and is a long-term development. So far, BI is doing it better than the others, and on it's own pace.

I just wish they would prioritize their goals and spend their time on completing and polishing first all PvE features, then PvP (guns, basebuilding, restrain, etc) and lastly - vehicles (land, sea and air).

Surprisingly many people play DayZ actually...

For example I can't even download mods for community servers, so that kinda sums it up. Download just stops. And I don't even know if I am downloading mods to the server that is going to be gold or trash. 

1 hour ago, Tarkules said:

Correct, but the publisher can invest more money and expand the dev team. I believe this usually requires bringing in some investors and to do so, the product should be promising, or at least hyped.

The game IS promising, and we're past the hype, but BI is investing itself in a game that most companies tend to avoid because it's risky and is a long-term development. So far, BI is doing it better than the others, and on it's own pace.

I just wish they would prioritize their goals and spend their time on completing and polishing first all PvE features, then PvP (guns, basebuilding, restrain, etc) and lastly - vehicles (land, sea and air).

Exactomundo! They need to step it up a notch and get their shit together. Only then will the playerbase keep playing the game and maybe even grow. I think they missed their biggest opportunity unfortunately and that was the release. If they waited with the release until everything was done, people would be blown away and they would have a big consistent playerbase as well as Twitch viewers (which is very important as well). When returning players and even new players would've seen the game and the changes it went through, they would've been blown away. But unfortunately, they made a dumb decision and I mean really dumb. But, I and multiple other people warned them, so they only have themselves to blame.

10 hours ago, Max Planck said:

I think that's a bit unfair. The post that drew your ornery reply was written on a Saturday for starters, and I'm actually here every day trying to make the forums at least slightly better.

I do believe though, that the relationship between employers and employees should stay professional. That means compensation according to contract. If not, workers will have to engage in a race to the bottom, and working conditions will suffer for all. Look at the 'crunch time' practices in the software industry as an example.

I think what you really want is information, and I don't know anymore than you do. And, as I said, I wish the devs would engage with the forums more often. In their working hours, that is.

Agreed. And please take it as merely a rather frustrated rant directed to no one in particular. I am sure you have had your fair share of assumptive hostility due to the way the SA has gone.

I wandered over the line a tad, and forgive my decision to make it personal. Please let me explain: 

I do not share your perspective on what constitutes fair work balance with respects to customer-facing support, as we live in a global economy especially where e-commerce is concerned....but it is the more popular of the two sides at this point.

"Crunch Time" is trendy now...but it is a necessary evil and one that spans our history as a market economy-driven culture. It is ultimately the responsibility of the worker to decide if they wish to participate or not. Capitalism depends on it. Giving voice to common issues with deep roots to our past is simply easier now with social media. I can speak from personal experience on several levels within the IT industry when I say that having a "post-milestone" event is never a good thing (that's what we used to call it...so the Execs would feel less like it was a systemic failure on their part to manage the damn projects better) BUT finding out how the folks in the weeds respond to these challenges is a definitive metric in determining their commitment to the company in a broad sense. There has been...and will ALWAYS be extremes to this practice, but it's business...it's not pleasure. A company is in it for profit and you are in it for the same reason. Both parties are aligned on that point...it's just a question of who does the sh&%ting and who does the shovelling.

So, in summary. I am at a point with DayZ where my negativity is mostly due to my own perception of just how poorly the company has run this project, and less about the actual effectiveness of the product being created...out of principal, I suppose...but to me that is more important than the result. (and to you as well, it seems, but for different cause/effect). Your principals do not align with mine and that's what drives great conversations....but we will never meet beyond these characters on our monitors so I will offer my apology once again and my promise to be less flippant and a tad more focused when submitting my comments on this Forum.

Cheers! (and get back to work, dammit!) 😉

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

Game has terminal cancer and is dying unless drastic changes/reverts are made, not to mention the lost cause of porting to xbox... The implemented night time anti gamma speckely nonsense is shyt, especially when playing at 3440x1440 on a 35" monitor with gtx1080... noises are over exaggerated... fluidity of gameplay and mechanics is too restrictive, stamina, encumbrance, no inventory while running etc.. I have given this game well over 3000hrs of intense gameplay since mid 0.50 ish and I am so disappointed at what it is now, from its direction before, it deviated grossly from what its meant to be, All the excuses under the sun from the devs for why this is, is just a load of crap, I stopped playing as a result of darkness being unplayable,  I used to farking really enjoy the dark god dammit!, now its just a colored wash of specks and dots over my screen that farks with my eyes and I cant bear the pain of blurriness and teariness it causes as a result of it, the noises are unrealistic and makes one feel like no matter how hard you try to be quiet, they rigged the game in a way so you fail everytime, Id throw another 10k hours at this game if things were changed to reflect its former self of all the good parts it had, no bullshyt I would. I miss the game that this used to be, now it is only a empty shell of its former self, Thats why players are dropping off, Thats why many players are upset at how it is now, Devs dont sit back and wonder why cause you know why and its only denial and ignorance that is preventing you from understanding this, The game was great, but not now, The game can still redeem itself and be the game we all knew, its down to you, the devs to look past your denial's and ignorance's and return the game, rebuilt, revamped and cleaned up to represent how we felt for it before this waywardness overshadowed it. I will always play it on PC only because its primarily a PC game IMHO. We can all only hope the right decision is made on these aspects of issues I and many others have shed light on. "I stand on my own side and observe and report, for those within do not see from my perspective and should not undermine ones comments of condition on the fact."

On 5/9/2019 at 7:54 AM, Max Planck said:

Please make their “working hours” more effective somehow mr “I’m not a dayz dev” .

We want dayz 1.0 not dayz “1.0”.

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2019 at 3:04 PM, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

Please make their “working hours” more effective somehow mr “I’m not a dayz dev” .

I'm not a wizard either 😉.

EDIT: Just received certificate, am now wizard.

Edited by Max Planck
Funny how that goes
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 2

12 minutes ago, Max Planck said:

I'm not a wizard either 😉.

I thought I saw that they were recruiting a new marketing manager for DayZ, or?

6 hours ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

It's not just about working hours. I can bet money that the devs working on DayZ is very few. Or even spend alot of times on other projects. 

They have to secure future income with Vigor, maybe Ama 4? Or something else. That will be higher priority, then DayZ which won't really generate much more money. It's the sad truth. 

Funny how many people in here saying the game is indeed going towards dead, the so called "glory days" people talk about in 0.60+ and after how amazing the game was at that time, when in reality it was the most dead its ever been.

You can look here and then look at the dayz wiki on patch notes and line up the dates. Dayz is on a constant up just from steam and only once 1.0 dropped, add onto that whatever xbox population is out there.

Dayz population stats

I bought this game day one, seems like a lot of people in here don't even realised the game has switched teams and engines already. Dean ran dayz into the ground before it even took off with decisions like using an outdated arma engine. New team litterally ported this shit to the good engine and is recoding everything from the ground up.

I came back just after 1.02 dropped and ive been having a lot of fun playing. But then again i havent been sitting here shitting myself since 2012

Edited by koNkeD
  • Confused 1

From my perspective it feels like its dying indeed, when you have 50+ people you met in Dayz on your friends list and each of them now no longer play much if at all it makes you wonder how many others have this same symptom also, its like the xmas tree effect if you know what I mean, I have watched this game evolve you might say from the staff side to the in game changes and such like the engine coding period which is where I noticed the decline in player base when it was buggy af nothing new and a few minor tweaks here and there, I think thats the era in which players lost all interest, Im a dedicated player will stick with the game till its dying minute and will also watch it grow up like my children have, from rigged twitch streams and the stupid branding of hype train etc.. it makes the game look like a phase in which will soon be over type feel,  But reality is the style of approach to popularize the game again has failed, all the devs need to do as I said in my previous post is quit with the ignorance and denial and not just crap on about how they hear what the players are saying in acknowledgement, but actually do what we advise for play-ability aspects as its us that will be playing the game, the streamers are not actual representatives of playerbase nor should they be widely heard just because they have tones of viewers, Some streamers are just visual reviewers/critics (mostly the popular ones), anyone can speculate while watching something including their viewers, actually being immersed in the game itself is completely different, they are just doing it for the money, fame and the so-called love of the game.. oh and they are supported by unknown third parties/viewers.. cough cough.. if the devs can make changes as they have done previously with no real enthusiasm from the real players, (not known players/streamers etc..) they too can listen and change open request from us, the real players, the normal players, as I have seen with the reiteration of tab while moving, (even though its not the full revert), but they changed it back somewhat because of backlash from us, if they listen and act like this completely people will return and encourage others to play and the growing of the game will sprout once again with all the new sides with in it, Im not a fan of 12yo kids playing this game, its more for 15yo+ as I have found most of the younger children either spend hours trying to understand the game partially and asking for help from others or get a gun and shoot other players, very very rarely I have seen any of this age group actually shoot zeds or play as the game is meant to be played as broad as it can be played to me xbox porting is a cash grab to get parents to pay for the game for their 12yo children, adults who still play on console, well, thats just not cool man IMO, This game is meant to be played by PC and keyboard should be superior, So for those of us who still jump on the dev fanboy band wagon to stick up for the devs, please its not getting us or the game itself anywhere as a whole, 2015-2016 were the peak days of the game, I know as I was in the thick of it all I have met literally thousands of different players in game over that time, I really want to see actual changes/reverts as well as new changes as long as it does not hinder the previous state of gameplay, eg ruined night time etc.. So we all can play the game with the new engine etc.. and have that same feeling back when we were 1000hrs deep in gameplay.

@ICEMAN-FMCS  I tried to read your post; I really did.  I want to understand what you are trying to say, and I might even agree somewhat.  But in that presentation, I just can't.

We know that your period key (fullstop) works correctly.  This is because you have used them in an attempt at ellipsis on a few occasions here.  I've never seen such a liberal use of commas before.  It's kind-of amazing, but not in a good way.  Good luck.

Also:

30ohjg.jpg

Edited by emuthreat
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 2

3 minutes ago, emuthreat said:

@ICEMAN-FMCS  I tried to read your post; I really did.

We know that your period key (fullstop) works correctly.  This is because you have used them in an attempt at ellipsis on a few occasions here.  I've never seen such a liberal use of commas before.  It's kind-of amazing, but not in a good way.

Hide contents

30ohjg.jpg

Haa yea....... dont quit your day job now. XD

On 5/6/2019 at 8:29 PM, ImpulZ said:

Just to collect the facts, some have already brought up here:

Yes, updates are being released by our developers, we had the 1.02 update in April, 1.03 will follow this month.

DayZ currently has (if you leave out our release month) the highest average number of active players since summer 2016.

Hang on wasn't 2016 when everyone was complaining about who crap the game was? Bugs, idiotic infected etc? 

On 5/9/2019 at 11:54 PM, Max Planck said:

So you are stating that as a Mod, Bohemia are not responding with your requests to increase their presence on the forums?  So what sort of feedback are they giving you?  Why are you still here when notable ex-fanboys like BioHazard have destroyed the game in Steam reviews?

Honestly, why are you still here then?  If Bohemia are not giving you feedback what' your take on the game? Are you finally coming around to realising what most of us figured out 3 years ago that this is a trainwreck of a game?