thag

Is this game officialy dead ?

I'm wondering if someone still working on this game, apart from modders, because I've seen like no status reports or major updates like in months now... 

The game is in such bad state, flying cars, etc... that its a shame calling it full release.  Dayz is stuck on the point zero since the December of 2018.

I'm very very disappointed about Bohemia's development on this game, yet I was a supporter over 5 years and hoped that something would change after December 2018...

But the opposite is the truth.    If you have any sense left, please sell this Game to some other Game Company, who can maybe finish it in this Century.  Thanks.

Edited by thag
  • Like 1
  • Beans 5

The response you're probably going to get is: wE ReLeAsEd aN UpDaTe eVeRy mOnTh.

Still waiting on the update with that wow-factor.

Also on your last suggestion. Funny story, a game called The Guild 3 released on Early Access in late 2017. It is a game which followed up on The Guild 2 with a small but enthusiastic fanbase and the idea was to sort of to get The Guild 2 in a modern jacket and some changes here and there. Before they launched it, they said that it was nearly ready and needed some changes before full release. But when it released, oh boy... Riddled with bugs, a lot of features were missing, a lot of place holders, etc. The community was outraged and as time progressed, nothing improved. Then the publisher fired the developers and brought in a new team. Now content and fixes are flying out and the game is slowly starting to take shape and the community has restored their faith in the game.

So yeah, might not be a bad decision to get a new team on board to take the game where it should go. Big problem is, the publisher can't fire the developers because it's published and developed by the same company. They better start to get the lead out and start doing things right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thag said:

I'm wondering if someone still working on this game, apart from modders, because I've seen like no status reports or major updates like in months now... 

The game is in such bad state, flying cars, etc... that its a shame calling it full release.  Dayz is stuck on the point zero since the December of 2018.

I'm very very disappointed about Bohemia's development on this game, yet I was a supporter over 5 years and hoped that something would change after December 2018...

But the opposite is the truth.    If you have any sense left, please sell this Game to some other Game Company, who can maybe finished it in this Century.  Thanks.

Doing a tiny bit of research would reveal that there were two updates, with a third coming this month. 

Selling this game to a different studio is even dumber than changing the engines in the middle of development. 

• Confused 1
  • Beans 1

where is devs?no baty or impuls in forums for a while?
if you guys have some holiday from work...it doesent mean that you cant come to official forums just say something and make mark that you are even alive?
do we get fishing this year?....(hope for answer for sunday but realistic for next week thursday or next next week or week after)

impuls were on forums thursday and baty was 24 april....the main devs visit never here.
and weekend....not one dev visit here.....sorry...but it feels quite bad.....if you love and care for something,it doesent really what day is it when you contribute

Edited by kopo79
  • Beans 2

Being a game developer is a job, not a calling. I don't show up at the hospital on my days off either. And, what ever you do for a living, neither should you.

A fair salary and humane working conditions for all!

Right, off the soapbox I go. But, fair's fair, may day was just three days ago. Let's get some perspective here: What ever you think of the release version, you can't expect a community manager to spend his family time on the forums.

That's why I'm here. Shine yer shoes, guv'nor?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 4

I don’t disagree that everyone needs time off... but this whole “new and improved” communication schedule is garbage.

It makes otherwise civilized people expect unreasonable things like coming in to network on days off.   Because they often don’t do it on days on.

And as many times as you’ve made me eat my words @Max Planck, I’m not sure that anyone can tell me that their new communication strategy is working as intended. 

I’m certain I don’t need to actually quote the community update that said specifically that communication needs to be improved but I would be absolutely delighted to paste it all over this fucking thread to make the point.

Because I can say as a passionate member of this community that it is worse now than it has ever been other than the fact it isn’t making unrealistic promises it can’t keep because they are saying nothing at all. 

The notion that they are under promising and over delivering is another rubber dick because they aren’t saying anything and as a result doing anything at all above nothing is in fact “over delivering.”

Im exhausted with making excuses for this title just to try and help keep people playing it. I think it’s someone else’s turn to deliver. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 2

I was commenting specifically and solely on the idea that they should work weekends, and I should probably have made that more clear.

As for the days on, that's a different matter... I remember when we used to protest loudly that Rocket was mainly communicating via reddit instead of our beloved chatterboards. We ended up getting a 'dev tracker' function on the forums, that'd gather all dev utterings across all channels. I've no idea what happened to it, but maybe something like that might help all parties by shining a light on what's actually there, for better or worse. I'll ask around if there's an interest.

• Beans 4

Dont worry guys, At least you get a response, PS4 forum gets nothing, no info no replies or very little replies if your lucky

• Like 1

Just wait until it gets out of Early Access, this game is gonna be DA BOMB!

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Not sure if I should laugh or cry at this comment.

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

The game has one review on metacritic that isn't a user review. And that is PC gamer which gave it 69/100.

DayZ mod was one of the most talked of games of 2012. Now 2019 it completly passed under the radar. Maybe thats what they hoped for because they knew what a unfinished state it was in. Still sad what the product turned out to be. 

I still love parts of DayZ but it easily is on my top 3 dissapointing games ever made. Damn what mess this game has and still is today.

However the game isn't dead, 5k concurrent player isn't too bad.  Think it's different to many other survival games, so think it will live on for some time.  However I doubt the game will get alot of support from the devs though, they know they won't reach many new customers that buys the game. 

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

On 5/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, thag said:

But the opposite is the truth.    If you have any sense left, please sell this Game to some other Game Company, who can maybe finished it in this Century.  Thanks.

If i got 50 cents for everytime i log in on this forum to read an omg dayz is dying post on monday morning..... i could have got my 3rth and 4th copy by now. 😎

Edited by hemmo

Just to collect the facts, some have already brought up here:

On 5/4/2019 at 5:28 PM, thag said:

I'm wondering if someone still working on this game

Yes, updates are being released by our developers, we had the 1.02 update in April, 1.03 will follow this month.

DayZ currently has (if you leave out our release month) the highest average number of active players since summer 2016.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Beans 1

On 5/5/2019 at 2:03 PM, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Oh how naive we were years ago 😞 I just want to see this never ending story finish , and I want it to end happily ever after - not with the villain winning ....

Edited by MaxwellHouse69420

It's in it's official released state, so people are judging it as a finished game, as you should. It's got major issues and in some regards, is behind standalone and the mod. It's not dead yet but it's heading that direction, fast.

• Beans 2

On 5/4/2019 at 11:57 PM, eno said:

I don’t disagree that everyone needs time off...

Yeah, that's why you have someone else fill in for said person on vacation. Not sure why Europe can't figure that out. Our German colleagues are the same way. Here in the states, only one of the engineers in our group is allowed to be absent at once. That way things keep moving. I always thought it was common sense.....

• Beans 2

1 hour ago, boggle said:

. It's not dead yet but it's heading that direction, fast

Strange.... Currently it is the other way around. In the last few months the player count has only risen. 

• Haha 1

and to be clear...i dont count visiting in game forum and answering some questions as a "work"

6 hours ago, amadieus said:

Strange.... Currently it is the other way around. In the last few months the player count has only risen. 

Only due to people thinking the game is finished ... people’s ignorance about the rocky development process (and misleading advertising to the mainstream) leads them to play the game , but only for a month or two until their friends quit or they get bored of glitches in a “finished” game and find there’s only pvp to excite them . 

The numbers on Steam mean nothing when they are positive , but everything when they are negative , especially when compared to overall number of copies sold - which if I remember was in the millions for dayz , so where are they all ? Certainly not in the group of 1.5 k people who have just started to play the game that are increasing the steam charts (ever so slightly).

If the game was so good as you infer , by stating that the “opposite” is happening of a slow death, then we all wouldn’t feel this way ...  We would be happily playing the game as we all were back in alpha when we were enchanted over awesome features (still) to come . But nay , we are here expressing constant frustration after frustration due to disappointment of a game once touted to be the future of survival games .

• Beans 4

7 hours ago, amadieus said:

Not quite. Indeed, the numbers have gone up. But did you check the Steam charts? It reveals a lot of information, the point when the numbers started to go up in particular. This was when modding was released and the player count has since then about doubled.

So yes, in theory, the numbers have gone up although they are dwindling again right now. But this is all because of the modders, NOT the developers. Without modding, I think the player count would be how it was before modding was released or even at an all time low. So all the credits go to the modders.

• Beans 5

13 hours ago, MaxwellHouse69420 said:

If the game was so good as you infer , by stating that the “opposite” is happening of a slow death, then we all wouldn’t feel this way

Never said that the game was 'so good'. It simply has more players than it had before, making the statement of the other guy simply untrue. If the player count drops steady again in a few months, fair enough. But that's currently not the case.

Not sure if using the 'game sold 4 million copies' argument really holds up. So many games sold large amount of copies while having a much smaller playerbase in comparison. 

12 hours ago, IMT said:

So yes, in theory, the numbers have gone up although they are dwindling again right now. But this is all because of the modders, NOT the developers. Without modding, I think the player count would be how it was before modding was released or even at an all time low. So all the credits go to the modders

Of course modding contributes to a larger playerbase. But modding is available thanks to the developers. Both parties deserve credits for that.

Edited by amadieus

2 hours ago, amadieus said:

Never said that the game was 'so good'. It simply has more players than it had before, making the statement of the other guy simply untrue. If the player count drops steady again in a few months, fair enough. But that's currently not the case.

Not sure if using the 'game sold 4 million copies' argument really holds up. So many games sold large amount of copies while having a much smaller playerbase in comparison. 

Of course modding contributes to a larger playerbase. But modding is available thanks to the developers. Both parties deserve credits for that.

Yes the release of modding was so grand. So much support for modders, so much documentation, so much examples. The only credit we can give them is releasing modding, that's about it.

• Beans 1

2 hours ago, amadieus said:

So trying to prove “ the other guys” wrong is a moot point seeing as the numbers WILL drop again unless the developers kick it into serious high gear - there’s just nothing in dayz right now worth seeing that the average steam chart population hasn’t already seen .... pvp can only be had for so many months unless you are absolutely manically obsessed about the player interaction .

The only reason why we point out that the steam charts going upwards (albeit by a very small amount) mean nothing is because these developers get a big head over nothing as of late ... We don’t want them patting themselves on the back when there’s plenty of work to be done - and with such long gaps between insignificant patches and such little communication between us and devs of anything important to the future of the features we are missing, it doesn’t seem like we can just sit back and let them work - to me it seems like the perfect time for criticism , seeing as most of us super fans   With 2k + hours have been silent for so long in the good times we deserve to put in our 2 cents when the times are so rough .

15 hours ago, IMT said:

Not quite. Indeed, the numbers have gone up. But did you check the Steam charts? It reveals a lot of information, the point when the numbers started to go up in particular. This was when modding was released and the player count has since then about doubled.

not sure it was just modding, the increase also coincides with the release of the xbox full version.

The numbers have increased by about 50% from march 2019 (from peak to peak). Before the xbox 1.01 release the player numbers had started to decline again. If we go back further we can see that dayZ on pc was pretty dead by oct 2018 until the release of the free access and the game at 1.0 on pc

These increases this year demonstrate that there is still significant interest in DayZ as a property (going beyond the 4 million licenses stated sold (source - wikipedia, sold until nov 2018). The numbers for the free DayZ weekend also clearly demonstrate interest in the game to BI management, I would suggest, that DayZ has a future as a property and is worth further development.

DayZ is currently 70th by Steam stats player numbers

I would expect a further increase in player numbers with a ps4 release, which could be in the near future now that xbox is aligned with Pc.

Looking at the past timeline of BI releases, I would suggest ps4 will possibly come in  late July. We also know that we have a 1.03 incoming imminently for pc (I would predict exp in early June), with a 1.04 planned (sept??). This work planning shows BI has an interest in DayZs further development

while the marketing is somewhat chaotic (non aligned/homogenous communications on different platforms) it can be said that DayZ is following a No Mans Sky schedule. It remains to be seen if DayZ achieves a similar turnaround. Hopefully the xbox and ps4 releases have/will provide the funding for further development

I have my thumbs pressed/fingers crossed for a good outcome

3 hours ago, aux7 said:

not sure it was just modding, the increase also coincides with the release of the xbox full version.

The numbers have increased by about 50% from march 2019 (from peak to peak). Before the xbox 1.01 release the player numbers had started to decline again. If we go back further we can see that dayZ on pc was pretty dead by oct 2018 until the release of the free access and the game at 1.0 on pc

These increases this year demonstrate that there is still significant interest in DayZ as a property (going beyond the 4 million licenses stated sold (source - wikipedia, sold until nov 2018). The numbers for the free DayZ weekend also clearly demonstrate interest in the game to BI management, I would suggest, that DayZ has a future as a property and is worth further development.

DayZ is currently 70th by Steam stats player numbers

I would expect a further increase in player numbers with a ps4 release, which could be in the near future now that xbox is aligned with Pc.

Looking at the past timeline of BI releases, I would suggest ps4 will possibly come in  late July. We also know that we have a 1.03 incoming imminently for pc (I would predict exp in early June), with a 1.04 planned (sept??). This work planning shows BI has an interest in DayZs further development

while the marketing is somewhat chaotic (non aligned/homogenous communications on different platforms) it can be said that DayZ is following a No Mans Sky schedule. It remains to be seen if DayZ achieves a similar turnaround. Hopefully the xbox and ps4 releases have/will provide the funding for further development

I have my thumbs pressed/fingers crossed for a good outcome

Are we looking at the same graphs? It clearly shows a spike in players when modding is released. Then it goes down a bit and then it suddenly really spikes with the free weekend. But it quickly goes down and then it gradually goes down until patch 1.02 when it goes up again and finally slowly declines again. Why would Xbox release have anything to do with the PC players? The game has always seen a rise in player numbers when a patch is released and then it gradually goes down.

Edited by IMT