HiroCheeseMuh1

Vicinity Issues

Noticed a few issues with the vicinity detecting items:

First and foremost you could be standing right near the item and it still isn’t detected. Example of this is in deer stands which are relatively compact and if items were there you easily could detect them in your vicinity prior to latest update.  Now even In an area as small as a dear stand items aren’t being detected unless you’re practically standing on said items. 

Second and what what I consider a much bigger problem with vicinity detection is if you’re using a tree/bush for cover although it happens more with trees, and you take something completely out of your inventory including out of your hands the item is no longer detected and even though you can physically see the item you can not pick it back up. Learned this little diddy in the middle of a gun fight where I dropped my gun in order to switch to another because it wouldn’t let me switch otherwise, realized I had grabbed a gun I didn’t have ammo for, went to to pick the first gun up and even though I could see it, it wasn’t registering in the vicinity which was a really shitty time for that to happen. 

It has also happened with other items not just guns several times. So a word of warning to other players for the love of god do not drop anything you may want back while taking cover in a tree or bush because if you do, that’s a wrap on ever having it again. 

Cut Bush down ,pick up item. 

Also tmyes the detection radius has been great reduced. As far as I know it's not a bug. If I'm not mistaken it's in the patch notes. 

I think both of these were the same prior to update. Even in sniper towers which are smaller, I could change position and vicinity would pick up a different item or an item would disappear from vicinity of I moved. 

The Bush thing was also an issue prior to the update though if you position just right you can get it. I thought they were supposed to have fixed that on the last update or the one before maybe but it didn't appear to get fixed. 

Yet another thing changed to worse. It's like this on PC too. Was about to make a bug report but what's the point honestly I've seen so many things reported and not acknowledged that I ain't bothering anymore.

What I've noticed is you need to face the item and wait for it to pop on screen before you can see it in vicinity, now if you just turn around it disappears. Even moving closer doesn't help not until your completely on top of the item. This could be a counter measure for people looting stuff through walls but sure there would be a better way to do it like code it so the vicinity screen wouldn't go through a wall. This makes looting even more frustrating than it was when you dont have your HUD on. Why do you keep taking all these shortcuts?!

Edited by nikoor

The Bush issue was fixed in one of the updates prior to 1.0, but seems to be back. The close vicinity issues, I agree that I dont think is a bug.

At 1.0 you could loot through some walls. I believe the reduced radius was to fix that, possibly, but I cannot say 100% that was the reason.

15 hours ago, CNTRCTKILLER said:

At 1.0 you could loot through some walls. I believe the reduced radius was to fix that, possibly, but I cannot say 100% that was the reason.

I'm pretty sure it's linked. It was also lots of UI bugs when several stashes, fences or towers were close together

On PC version we got the same vicinity issue too since 1.02, when these UI and  walls looting bugs were fixed. It's a lot more picky now sometimes.

Edited by matiman

On 5/1/2019 at 12:59 AM, nikoor said:

What I've noticed is you need to face the item and wait for it to pop on screen before you can see it in vicinity, now if you just turn around it disappears. Even moving closer doesn't help not until your completely on top of the item. This could be a counter measure for people looting stuff through walls but sure there would be a better way to do it like code it so the vicinity screen wouldn't go through a wall. This makes looting even more frustrating than it was when you dont have your HUD on. Why do you keep taking all these shortcuts?!

Yeah the waiting for the item to appear isn’t as bad as the losing things completely in a bush or a tree but both are pretty frustrating especially losing something you definitely need back immediately. 

4 minutes ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Yeah the waiting for the item to appear isn’t as bad as the losing things completely in a bush or a tree but both are pretty frustrating especially losing something you definitely need back immediately. 

<< It has also happened with other items not just guns several times. So a word of warning to other players for the love of god do not drop anything you may want back while taking cover in a tree or bush because if you do, that’s a wrap on ever having it again. >>

you want your stuff back ?    = cut the tree down =

Edited by pilgrim*

On 4/30/2019 at 3:49 PM, GolemNo9 said:

Cut Bush down ,pick up item. 

Also tmyes the detection radius has been great reduced. As far as I know it's not a bug. If I'm not mistaken it's in the patch notes. 

Tried it, doesn’t work! Plus in a fire fight or some other sort of emergency situation, having to stop to chop down a tree or a bush isn’t exactly ideal. Especially if you don’t have an axe or hatchet which I tend to not carry due to how much they weigh. I know a bush can be cut down with a knife btw before anyone pipes up. 

Edited by HiroCheeseMuh1

3 minutes ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Tried it, doesn’t work! Plus in a fire fight or some other sort of emergency situation, having to stop to chop down a tree or a bush isn’t exactly ideal. Especially if you don’t have an axe or hatchet which I tend to not carry due to how much they weigh. I know a bush can be cut down with a knife btw before anyone pipes up. 

Tried it myself - WORKS for me.
But  I don't often hide my weapon in a bush in the middle of a firefight.. I guess you have a different style of play - specially when you've told us you expect NOT to be able to get your weapon back.
But that's your choice.
Play how you feel.

xxp

8 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Tried it myself - WORKS for me.
But  I don't often hide my weapon in a bush in the middle of a firefight.. I guess you have a different style of play - specially when you've told us you expect NOT to be able to get your weapon back.
But that's your choice.
Play how you feel.

xxp

Dude seriously is the cuntyness really necessary? I said the gun thing happened ONCE! I’ve lost other items in bushes trying to sort my inventory not during a firefight. If you’re going to be a twit at least read what’s said first there chief. 

1 minute ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Dude seriously is the cuntyness really necessary? I said the gun thing happened ONCE! I’ve lost other items in bushes trying to sort my inventory not during a firefight. If you’re going to be a twit at least read what’s said first there chief. 

watch out he's gonna come at you now, probably with an essay.

• Haha 2
  • Beans 1

11 minutes ago, nikoor said:

watch out he's gonna come at you now, probably with an essay.

Lol well unless that essay amounts to him admitting he didn’t actually read what I wrote I don’t know what he could possibly have to say. 🤷🏻‍♂️

2 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Dude seriously is the cuntyness really necessary? I said the gun thing happened ONCE!

sorry dont follow you - I dont understand your language
you said stuff gets stuck in bushes and cutting the bushes down does not work because you have tried it

I suggest - in a firefight - that if you have a TACTIC and you know that it is a BAD Tactic and it does NOT WORK
then you should NOT USE IT and try some OTHER tactic .. or you won't win.
If you object to this THEORY of  "Tactical Actions in Warfare"  you should get on to Sun Tzu about it and accuse him of being a shit.. it was HIS idea before it was mine.

If you KNOW that throwing your weapon in a bush in a firefight is a BAD idea.. 
er..  my advice is DONT DO IT

When I get something stuck in a bush (I also do it deliberately, & if you think about it you might come up with some good reasons) - When I hide something in a bush I can get it out by cutting down the bush.
You cant.
I can.
end of subject ?

..  remember what I suggested about tactics ? Check out The Art of War..  Warfare is a kind of  << live and learn or DIE >> kind of thing, aint it ?
Now you know your limits and how the world works you won't make the same tactical error twice. right ? 

3 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

You're wasting your time on pilgrim. Put him on the ignore list and keep it moving.

• Beans 1

9 hours ago, Man Parts 241 said:

You're wasting your time on pilgrim. Put him on the ignore list and keep it moving.

cut the tree down
if you cant get your stuff back cut the tree into logs
if you still cant get your stuff back put in a bug report

This DayZ forum used to have plenty of wit and irony and snappy comebacks and jokes - it was  intelligent and often friendly and there were some interesting characters who could express themselves well. There were plenty of putdowns and arguments but they had quality. The forum was fun to read as well as interesting and instructive, it offered help and advice as well as irony and inoffensive comment & sharp wit.
Now there is more dissing and straight deliberate insults and vulgarity. Ya know.. boring stuff.
IMO - Everyone works to make the world into the place they want to live in, right ?

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 2

On 5/2/2019 at 11:46 PM, pilgrim* said:

cut the tree down
if you cant get your stuff back cut the tree into logs
if you still cant get your stuff back put in a bug report

This DayZ forum used to have plenty of wit and irony and snappy comebacks and jokes - it was  intelligent and often friendly and there were some interesting characters who could express themselves well. There were plenty of putdowns and arguments but they had quality. The forum was fun to read as well as interesting and instructive, it offered help and advice as well as irony and inoffensive comment & sharp wit.
Now there is more dissing and straight deliberate insults and vulgarity. Ya know.. boring stuff.
IMO - Everyone works to make the world into the place they want to live in, right ?

I completely agree that just relying on insults from the jump makes for pretty mundane back and forth and I also agree that ribbing or breaking each other’s balls so to speak can actually do more good for making a community stronger and better. Lord knows I love breaking people’s balls on things for a laugh and nothing malicious so I’m with you there but, there’s breaking balls and then there’s just being a cunt for the sake of being a cunt. Perhaps I misread your remarks as that obviously does happen from time to time and if that was the case then we’re good no harm no foul. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by HiroCheeseMuh1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1