simonvic

HUGE Stamina mechanics improvement

Stamina mechanics improvement
(I've seen that there already is a suggestion about stamina and fatigue, this is a different suggestion and a further improvements to the stamina system)

Premise
I start to say that in my opinion a survival game should always have a micromanagement aspect (like managing food, water etc) because it keeps the game loop alive, and (especially in a game like DayZ) it often leads to funny and epic situations,encounter etc.

[...]the survival genre can do better than having hunger and thirst be a timer you have to manage. There is real fun to be had in world simulation[...]

What is my suggestion about
As mentioned above, in DayZ right now there are just these two "timers" to care about ( but I'm sure that the devs will improve all the survival aspects of the game, since it is what 90% of us wants). So now I'm going to give a suggestion about a new feature that could be implemented: Fatigue/Tiredness/Sleep or whatever it could be called.
HUD concept I made:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Right now the stamina is only driven by the amount of weight you're carrying (and maybe by soft skills?) and this leads to having almost zero stamina if you are carrying an extra rifle or an extra melee weapon. In my opinion this is too punitive, so I was thinking that the inventory weight should affects a bit less the max amount of stamina; instead, this "new stat" (the Fatigue) should majorly impact the max amount of stamina.

How it could works...
There could be more "major" stages:

• Zero fatigue: 100% stamina (minus the percentage depending on the weight), no debuff, (maybe a buff?)
  • Tired: Less stamina (minus the percentage depending on the weight), random yawning animation
  • Exhausted: Few stamina (minus the percentage depending on the weight) , more time to complete an action (crafting, chopping wood etc), being sleepy
    Spoiler

giphy.gif

Done with the single player mod made by Arkensor. The same technique is used for the unconcious effect. So it should not be hard to be implemented

• Fully Exhausted: you go unconscious for a couple of seconds

...and how to manage it
You could reduce your "Fatigue stat" by:

• Resting:
    • doing the "Sit" animation on the ground (-5% per minute) -> (20 min to be fully rested)
    • sitting (with new specific animation) on bench/chair (-10% per minute) -> (10 min to be fully rested)
  • "Sleeping" (basically taking a nap, so you will have black screen and you won't be able to hear other people VoIP like when you're unconcious )
    • lying down on the ground (-20% per minute)  -> (5 min to be fully rested) 
    • lying down on bench/bed (-30% per minute) -> (a couple of minutes to be fully rested)
  • Drinking new beverages
    • Could be implemented new beverages like coffe,tea etc (and drinking beer and other similar drinks will also affect the Fatigue stat negatively)
    • Spoiler

So at the end I'm impatient to wait what do you think about this idea. I think that adding this small Stat could open a completely new world for the game: people will be more attracted to basebuilding (not before some tweaking ). I imagine a group of people sitting around a campfire resting on their handcrafted chairs/bed and eating (cooking mechanics should (and will) be more complex and deep)  before going for  PvP or a base raid.

I know that this is a very complex thing to realize and needs a lot of time and "resource" to be done, but as I said this will change a lot the gameplay (so no more running, looting and shooting 😄  )
Please let me know what you think. If you think that this shouldn't be imlemented and you dislike the idea let me know why; or if you like the idea share with me what tweaks it needs

Edited by simonvic
  • Thanks 2
  • Beans 6

nice work on this post man, a pleasure to read

I like the concept of fatigue, i used to stop and sit few minutes during long run a while ago.

i love the idea of closing eyes when tired

But fatigue should also reduce based on temp/food/water levels, not weight only (but it could be harder to balance/tweak)

• Like 1

Very good ideas. The fading of the vision is an excellent idea i think. I have a pretty good feeling lots of peoples ideas like this, will be mods long before you could even hope that the devs will want to put a feature like this in the game. I'm starting to realise this with alot of content i have wanted to see over the years. The gore mods are a good example. A calorie system is what could also define the difference between being fatigue prone from eating crap food as appose to decent food like growing your own fruit and vegetables. I would say calories could be getting a bit too specific at this point in time, considering the medical system needs an overhall in the first place before we need to worry about characters being unhealthy from eating specific food.

• Like 1

this would be great addition in game.
of course modders would took this off like stamina but there is few servers where this would fit perfectly.
there would be reason to stay in game at night....resting to just get that extra stamina.
tea before resting would give you better "sleep"...you gain stamina faster.
coffee would give you momentary buff to stamina.
also sleeping bag would be needed.

• Beans 1

Apparently a modder implemented my idea in his mod .

If you're interested in this idea, go give it a look and let's see if it could work in DayZ Vanilla and maybe we could see it implemented in the base game.

The idea is good and well reproduced.
- Should someone snore a loud snore and scream in a dream, or speak? )))) That would be fun.
- Should sleep be interrupted when a wolf howl is heard or the like?
- Should the player stay on the server when he sleeps? Not sure that sleep should have a long interval, there is no point in sleeping, staying in the game at night or at another time.
I think this idea can be claimed on RP servers.