Bhodi11

Night is now HORRIBLE!!!!!

Seriously neon glowing trees??? HDR is totally messed up now. The menu is now so bright you practically go blind accessing it during night time? Night was just fine before. Why fuck with it. This is totally unplayable now. Before when the moon was out you could see just fine now a full moon and you can’t see shit!

Everything else so far is good with update but the adjustments you made to night time are a horrendous mess. Please fix it.

• Beans 3

Night SHOULD be horrible in a zombie apocalypse.  I was able to make it to Signal Mountain in the dark.  I was able to follow the high-voltage lines and power poles that led up to it, and I was able to see the silhouette of the tower.  When night is on the horizon, you need to position yourself to be able to navigate using land features.  That, and you CAN see your compass without light.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree night time went a little overboard especially with the blurry fuzz and the personal night light that only you can see.

I just disconnect when night comes. 

It's not scary, exciting or fun to play at night. They just mess it up over and over for each new patch. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

Night SHOULD be horrible in a zombie apocalypse.  I was able to make it to Signal Mountain in the dark.  I was able to follow the high-voltage lines and power poles that led up to it, and I was able to see the silhouette of the tower.  When night is on the horizon, you need to position yourself to be able to navigate using land features.  That, and you CAN see your compass without light.

You missed the focus of the post. It was not that the night is dark - he was commenting on the horrid "night light" that makes trees and other bright textures glow in the dark near the player. it looks utterly crap, and PC players have been calling them out on this since this thing was introduced. Instead of adjusting moonlight to actually provide some illumination they create this fake personal night light that only the player can see. Very weird decision.

• Like 1

Personally I thought night was just right until this update. Only briefly been in a night time server so haven't had chance to form an opinion yet but from what I'm reading it just sounds odd. 

• Like 5

I didn't notice much of a difference. It seemed darker which isn't a bad thing.

I thought it was a little too bright before and this might encourage more use of torches etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Derleth said:

You missed the focus of the post. It was not that the night is dark - he was commenting on the horrid "night light" that makes trees and other bright textures glow in the dark near the player. it looks utterly crap, and PC players have been calling them out on this since this thing was introduced. Instead of adjusting moonlight to actually provide some illumination they create this fake personal night light that only the player can see. Very weird decision.

Well, I will admit that night in 1.01 was better, and the "night light" is a little weird, but I wouldn't make that the basis for calling it a horrendous mess.  The game is actually pretty good once people quit nit-picking every last single little idiosyncrasy.

• Like 3

What we had previously was accurate. If there was a full moon you could see ok when out in the open same as IRL. If there was no moon it was pitch black and you would navigate by the horizon or use a flashlight etc... it worked and was pretty realistic.

Now what you have is fake bright glowing bushes that just pop out as you approach them. The nearby foliage is so bright it drowns out all other low light detail. The blacks and grey scale are now completely crushed into a detail less black void when you are not being annoyed by glowing bushes. 

I play on a OneX and Sony 4K OLED so I can tell the difference. I used to love running at night. Now fuck it I will just switch servers. You would have to be blind not to see what a crappy adjustment this is. 

Edited by Bhodi11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I like the night changes, although im not a huge fan of the night light, it has a haunting glow that i like. I like how nobody can see at night and you can't just turn up your brightness and see perfectly fine either, encouraging people to camp or use light sources, which were pointless before... However with the night being so long it sort of drags on for too long, I'd personally enjoy it more if it was 30-40 mins so i could chill by the campfire and take a break from intently focusing on not dying, instead of continually playing through the hour of night because its too boring sitting at a camp for an hour, your kind of forced to move in a way. 

27 minutes ago, Bhodi11 said:

What we had previously was accurate. If there was a full moon you could see ok when out in the open same as IRL. If there was no moon it was pitch black and you would navigate by the horizon or use a flashlight etc... it worked and was pretty realistic.

Now what you have is fake bright glowing bushes that just pop out as you approach them. The nearby foliage is so bright it drowns out all other low light detail. The blacks and grey scale are now completely crushed into a detail less black void when you are not being annoyed by glowing bushes. 

I play on a OneX and Sony 4K OLED so I can tell the difference. I used to love running at night. Now fuck it I will just switch servers. You would have to be blind not to see what a crappy adjustment this is. 

Atleast everybodys basically seeing the same thing and people arent turning their brightness up to get a game breaking advantage. Although the moon setting the brightness sounds cool ( i never knew that ) i bet its gone to make it so people cant abuse the light from it too see way more than they should. But ya i was really disappointed when i first heard of the night light but i dont really care now unless it gives me or someone else an unfair advantage.

2 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

Well, I will admit that night in 1.01 was better, and the "night light" is a little weird, but I wouldn't make that the basis for calling it a horrendous mess.  The game is actually pretty good once people quit nit-picking every last single little idiosyncrasy.

Oh I agree, the night light has just become something of my personal crusade. Night lighting looked much better in earlier iterations of the game. Then when the anti-gamma system was introduced the ambient light from the moon disappeared entirely (apparently since any level of ambient brightness more or less kills the anti-gamma thing). Ideally, on a clear night with a full moon it would be fairly easy to navigate, while on cloudy nights or with a new moon it would be much darker all the way to the 1.01 ultra darkness. It should be dynamic. Now it's just as dark with a full moon which makes the game look bad, it's simply unrealistic.

Not a big fan of the night light. Would be perfectly ok with them turning it off and letting it just stay dark. 

Loved the night before the update but this one, nah, the moon doesn't provide any light either. It shouldn't be so that dark, it's summer isn't it? all the leaves are still in the trees? It's as dark as it is in Finland in the middle of the winter tbh.

14 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

Thats just it, i cant see ANYTHING its completely pitch black, i dont normally agree with posts complaining, and i get a world without power would be entirely black at night, but HOLY there is a cut off to the realism, i literally leave servers at night now i can barely even see my own character, i lost a FULLY geared character last might like m4 assault vest buttbag and all because i got horded by zombies that i couldn't even see,  found a head torch and put batteries in it, and it still wouldnt even turn on??? Like what could i even do?

Edited by Sterlyng Shane-kyler Roehrig

2 hours ago, Sterlyng Shane-kyler Roehrig said:

i got horded by zombies that i couldn't even see... Like what could i even do?

When you hear the growls, use stereo audio and crouch-walk right around them. I've had infected turn to and ignore me completely only an arms-length away.

I agree the night is more difficult now, but not "worse" in opinion. Seems like BI wants to encourage use of lights or stealth to navigate in the dark. I actually prefer it to re-locate my loot.

3 hours ago, Marvel_Ham said:

When you hear the growls, use stereo audio and crouch-walk right around them. I've had infected turn to and ignore me completely only an arms-length away.

I agree the night is more difficult now, but not "worse" in opinion. Seems like BI wants to encourage use of lights or stealth to navigate in the dark. I actually prefer it to re-locate my loot.

Relocating loot? I legit cannot see my own char, and the game is so glitchy rn, they didnt make growls they just started running and because it was so dark i couldnt see, and i like the encouragement for lights, but now theres gonna be scumbags who just hide in bushes because their virtually invisible and wait for players with lights 

I’ve been on all sides of this argument. I will still argue that night time is too long but as for the brightness or lack there of, I have mixed feelings: 

Yes it’s become unrealistic to be that dark being IRL your eyes would eventually adjust to the low light levels thus making it easier to see but, prior to this update the darkness was a little too bright to the point where realism was also being lost so it seems a happy medium needs to be found with the next update. 

I do like that you can essentially hide in plain sight at times (my favorite being standing in a doorway as another player searching for me walked right past me allowing me to get the drop on them) 

i also like that it sort of forces you to rely heavily on your memory of the layout of the town, landmarks and your own sense of direction if attempting to navigate sans a light source. 

It also makes looting military tents easier being players can’t camp via overwatch using the hunting scope anymore. Now if they want to camp the higher tier loot areas they have to actually find you in order to take action against you which goes back enjoying the ability to hide in plain sight thing from before. 

Yeah it’s harder to see the zombies (you can usually still hear them tho) but the good news is it’s harder for them to see you as well. In fact I’d say you probably have the visual advantage over them at night because I’ve walked right in front of them and they didn’t even detect my presence which was great considering the appearance of said zombie was a little bit of a surprise. 

I don’t know overall my only real complaint is that the night cycle is still a tad too long but at least I know I can go afk without a huge concern of being killed being people would have to literally bump right into you to find you. 

Edited by HiroCheeseMuh1
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, awalsh47 said:

I didn't notice much of a difference. It seemed darker which isn't a bad thing.

I thought it was a little too bright before and this might encourage more use of torches etc.

Good luck with torches, it's basically a bullseye for anyone nearby. It was about right for me before, dark but not so dark you couldn't operate. Now when night falls all I can see if a reflection of my room and I basically just put the controller down till daylight. Currently, it's utterly pointless and I struggle to understand why devs thought making this change was a greater priority than fixing actual bugs like dupers or all the issues with the vehicles. 

16 minutes ago, M00nfly said:

Good luck with torches, it's basically a bullseye for anyone nearby. It was about right for me before, dark but not so dark you couldn't operate. Now when night falls all I can see if a reflection of my room and I basically just put the controller down till daylight. Currently, it's utterly pointless and I struggle to understand why devs thought making this change was a greater priority than fixing actual bugs like dupers or all the issues with the vehicles. 

I think if you can see at night without a light source, it's kinda pointless having night at all. 

The night doesn't really bother me as its not that dark. I do most of my travelling and looting at night though with a compass and landmarks. during the day I sit in the woods/hills listening to all the gunshots going off, then watch from the woods/hills, then go back to my temporary camp site, cook some steaks etc.. then relax till night time, camp moves from there to the next location then scout out the place from a distance

It will be great if development could fix the base hopping and most important the duping issue, but as for torches/lamps etc .... that's way to easy to spot in the dark, even from far away so I dont use them.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:43 PM, Bhodi11 said:

Seriously neon glowing trees??? HDR is totally messed up now. The menu is now so bright you practically go blind accessing it during night time? Night was just fine before. Why fuck with it. This is totally unplayable now. Before when the moon was out you could see just fine now a full moon and you can’t see shit!

Everything else so far is good with update but the adjustments you made to night time are a horrendous mess. Please fix it.

For real don't even enjoy playing now seems like is night time all the time