Bhodi11

Night is now HORRIBLE!!!!!

9 hours ago, LaZy_Th3_KiD said:

For real don't even enjoy playing now seems like is night time all the time 

Well if you don't like night time, server hop into a day time server. Personally I like the night and adjust my play style when it gets dark. Avoid mil bases at night unless you're prepared for zombies. I feel safer looting at night but just got killed at nwaf when I got swarmed by zombies. 

I actually deliberately hit the dangerous spots at night. 

Pretty sure I passed close to a few survivors in severgo in the dark the other night and was pretty thrilling. The long nights force you to move around rather than  wait 5 mins for dawn as before.

Had a great moment last night in Trot mil base when I thought I was being really clever looting it in the dark but agroed zombies and got trapped in a barracks with loads of them outside. Sun began to rise and I panicked I'd be a sitting duck and had to go loud to get out. As I escaped over the wall the base erupted in shots so obviously at least two other groups decided to hit the base at sunrise so I got out in the nick of time!

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I think if you can see at night without a light source, it's kinda pointless having night at all. 

No more pointless than being able to see nothing like many of us are suffering. Night should be dark but local visibility should be dim but reasonable, and the view distance simply reduced as well. It should be really dark in buildings and forests etc, but under a full moon and not under cover should be quite easy to see where you are. I've walked over the Moors at night under a full moon and its really quite easy to see. This game for me is like someone has turned the TV off, that's entirely pointless. It was fine before the recent update! 

On 5/2/2019 at 1:45 AM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Well if you don't like night time, server hop into a day time server. Personally I like the night and adjust my play style when it gets dark. Avoid mil bases at night unless you're prepared for zombies. I feel safer looting at night but just got killed at nwaf when I got swarmed by zombies. 

seems to be night across the board and i don't want them to think i'm server hopping for loot lol 

6 minutes ago, LaZy_Th3_KiD said:

seems to be night across the board and i don't want them to think i'm server hopping for loot lol 

I would imagine low pop servers are more commonly night time and people have bailed out. But they are definitely not all on the same time zone at it were. 

I've already said it but they need to reintroduce the night time from before the current update. It was great. Dark and can't see then you could via full moon. It was perfect. Nighttime was scary but manageable and you could traverse the map. 

• Like 1

Every single time I log on it seems to be night time it's getting boring to the point I'm getting close to dropping the game again. I went away for a while and can back for the full release and it was better. This night time thing is pushing me away from the game. 

On 5/2/2019 at 9:45 AM, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I've come to play the game this afternoon and as usual loaded right into a night. I've done 4 hops now, all night (edit, now 6 hops, it's a waste of god dam time) . I seem to suffer this everytime I join. I've now spent half an hour since loading the game up just trying to find a day server! 

What I don't get is why the devs are focusing on making changes like this. Nobody wanted this or had an issue with how it was, no one was asking for a night time tweak. Meanwhile, all the things people do want fixing carry on staying broken, month after month after month. They need to stop wasting resources fixing things that aren't broke and concentrate on the things that are. 

Edited by M00nfly
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, M00nfly said:

I've come to play the game this afternoon and as usual loaded right into a night. I've done 4 hops now, all night (edit, now 6 hops, it's a waste of god dam time) . I seem to suffer this everytime I join. I've now spent half an hour since loading the game up just trying to find a day server! 

What I don't get is why the devs are focusing on making changes like this. Nobody wanted this or had an issue with how it was, no one was asking for a night time tweak. Meanwhile, all the things people do want fixing carry on staying broken, month after month after month. They need to stop wasting resources fixing things that aren't broke and concentrate on the things that are. 

If  you look back through the forums, you will see that people Did want longer darker nights. If you had spent half an hour on a night time server you'd probably be seeing the sunrise about now rather than hopping into another dark night. Seems logical right? 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

The night time is not bad at all yes it a little long but just set up a camp fire and just chill with your friend's tell it turns day then move on

16 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

If  you look back through the forums, you will see that people Did want longer darker nights. If you had spent half an hour on a night time server you'd probably be seeing the sunrise about now rather than hopping into another dark night. Seems logical right? 

I've tried that. What it basically amounts to is I spawn at night, put the controller down and have to go do something else while I wait for sunrise. Not really why you buy a console, a game, and switch it on for. Seems logical right? 

Sure people wanted longer nights, I'm cool with that,l. A bit darker? Ye fine. Blanket black? Not so much. 

My screen is calibrated so isn't showroom glowing. The picture is adjusted to look natural and not make my eyes bleed during evening viewing. I've now has to switch to the brightest mode, and still I can see anything at all at night when outdoors. I've had zombies hitting me that are right next to me and I can't see them and have no way to know how to react. Unless I'm right next to a building I can't see them, so have no idea where to run, can't tell if I get stuck on something or not, and basically it's a death sentence. Night is simply unplayable, which is like owning a car you can only use when its daytime. 

Edited by M00nfly

1 minute ago, M00nfly said:

I've tried that. What it basically amounts to is I spawn at night, put the controller down and have to go do something else while I wait for sunrise. Not really why you buy a console, a game, and switch it on for. Seems logical right? 

No, it doesn't seem logical that you'd play a survival sim and not want it to be a sim. I manage to travel the map and loot up at night quite happily. That is what torches are for. As Pilgrim has said, you don't need it on all the time. Just to get your bearings or search a room etc. If you can see clearly at night then night becomes pointless like it is on Ark, or any other game. It becomes purely aesthetic rather than a game affecting mechanic. 

7 minutes ago, M00nfly said:

Night is simply unplayable, which is like owning a car you can only use when its daytime. 

Cars have headlights right? Do you see the connection? 

3 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

No, it doesn't seem logical that you'd play a survival sim and not want it to be a sim. I manage to travel the map and loot up at night quite happily. That is what torches are for. As Pilgrim has said, you don't need it on all the time. Just to get your bearings or search a room etc. If you can see clearly at night then night becomes pointless like it is on Ark, or any other game. It becomes purely aesthetic rather than a game affecting mechanic. 

I don't think you've been out at night if you think night time is roughly the same as putting a blindfold on. Clearly people are seeing different things. Unless I have a torch on all the time I cant see anything at all unless I'm immediately over it. Zombie vicars are effectively invisible to me. I like the night, how it was before was just right for me, couldn't see any real distance, still needed torches on occasion, but at least I could see my immediate vicinity, which now I just can't. 

2 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Cars have headlights right? Do you see the connection? 

Now imagine someone updated your car so the headlights no longer gave off any light at all and you basically couldn't use the car at night, AT ALL. This sinking in yet? 

9 minutes ago, M00nfly said:

Now imagine someone updated your car so the headlights no longer gave off any light at all and you basically couldn't use the car at night, AT ALL. This sinking in yet? 

Are you saying that torches have stopped working in your game? If so I would file a bug report. If you're just saying that you can't see across the airfield at night then, urm, yup, that's about right then. Coincidently, I have actually been outside at night in areas with no street lighting. Guess what? It was pitch black. 

56 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Are you saying that torches have stopped working in your game? If so I would file a bug report. If you're just saying that you can't see across the airfield at night then, urm, yup, that's about right then. Coincidently, I have actually been outside at night in areas with no street lighting. Guess what? It was pitch black. 

Torches work. If you you step outside at night in the real world and it's exactly the same as putting on a blind fold, I think you need a visit to the opticians. Torches aren't safe to use for the most part, but even so, I've yet to find a 9v battery with my current character. I have a pistol with a torch which could work. In any case, I've been out on the hills on a half cloudy night without a particularly bright moon and can see just fine, this game is like someone has put their hands over your eyes, all I can see is jet black everywhere with a dimly lit character, and NOTHING else. That's just unplayable! 

Edited by M00nfly

1 hour ago, M00nfly said:

Torches work. If you you step outside at night in the real world and it's exactly the same as putting on a blind fold, I think you need a visit to the opticians. Torches aren't safe to use for the most part, but even so, I've yet to find a 9v battery with my current character. I have a pistol with a torch which could work. In any case, I've been out on the hills on a half cloudy night without a particularly bright moon and can see just fine, this game is like someone has put their hands over your eyes, all I can see is jet black everywhere with a dimly lit character, and NOTHING else. That's just unplayable! 

"Torches aren't safe to use..."

That's it just there, the primary reason people are complaining about nights being dark in DayZ. They don't want to use light sources because this gives away their position which is, of course, dangerous. They want to see without light sources, and when they can't they'll rather quit and whinge on the forums than light a flare and push on in the dark and play the game as it is supposed to be played.

That said, as has been mentioned numerous times in this and other threads on the subject - in real life the moon sheds light. It illuminates the ground and the light reflects off surfaces. This worked fine in the pre-release iterations of the game but was removed when the anti-gamma system was introduced. Apparently the anti-gamma system and moonlight don't mix. The way night lighting should work is the light levels dynamically changing between pitch black (overcast and no moon) and 0.63 lighting (atmospherically moonlit terrain). Hopefully they can get the anti-gamma to work with this in the future, because the moon being a dead texture in the skybox is ugly and unnatural.

3 hours ago, Derleth said:

"Torches aren't safe to use..."

That's it just there, the primary reason people are complaining about nights being dark in DayZ. They don't want to use light sources because this gives away their position which is, of course, dangerous. They want to see without light sources, and when they can't they'll rather quit and whinge on the forums.... 

You're missing the point though. I've no real issue with the Torches, other than they only really light up your feet, and you still cant see much with them. It's the blanket black you get when it's off, literally just a black screen, that's not realistic makes the game unplayable. I like the night, it adds to the game, its just that it's unplayable. Even with a torch there's no way to work out where I am, still cant see anything unless I'm right over it, and I end up giving up as it leaves me with nothing to do. Even at dusk it's hard to see, the sky is dim and the ground just goes black. Nightime should be hard to see, not that there is absolute black so you can't see anything at all. 

Here's a screen shot 

https://ibb.co/t2vxNvf

Edited by M00nfly

2 hour daylight and 1 hour night. 

WTF are the devs smoking? 

So retarded. 

• Thanks 1

I think 3/1 ratio would be better but I don't actually mind the time even at two to one. 

39 minutes ago, M00nfly said:

I think 3/1 ratio would be better but I don't actually mind the time even at two to one. 

was about to say the same but in the end it doesn't matter, it's their game and they'll do what ever they want with it. I'd be too but I'd also interact with the people about the issues. I've never seen this much complaining around a game or people fighting each others over it anywhere else. yet WE all know why that is.

Edited by nikoor

Definitely need improvement to timing . This 2 hour day 1 hour night cycle stinks. I agree seems like it’s always night when I get on. At least add the NV googles if you are going to stick us with this crap.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:51 PM, Stagman70 said:

Night SHOULD be horrible in a zombie apocalypse.  I was able to make it to Signal Mountain in the dark.  I was able to follow the high-voltage lines and power poles that led up to it, and I was able to see the silhouette of the tower.  When night is on the horizon, you need to position yourself to be able to navigate using land features.  That, and you CAN see your compass without light.

Dude, the OP makes a valid point that is hard to argue. The night time in this game is obnoxious how dark it is. I've been to places in real life where you dont have lights for miles and nothing but the moon and stars and I can still see a reasonable distance...even on a cloudy night. You cant see a foot in front of yourself in this game at night. No excuse for it. Survival game or not. Its beyond unrealistic