Sign in to follow this  
Hatin Since 87

What server?

Just curious what server everyone plays on mostly? I usually stick to the first person only wd4227 I believe it is. Just got the game, kinda hard knowing where to go with no map or direction but addictive

Honestly I wanna tough it out and learn the map without a map, if that makes sense lol. That’s the fun part of the game, but damn it’s so difficult right now. Especially solo with all the KOS mentality (not starting a war here). 

Would be cool if everyone on the forums could use the same server so we could all get to know who we play with and have a more consistent experience 

3 hours ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

Honestly I wanna tough it out and learn the map without a map

Well in that case, if you happen across a hiking trail (they are marked red, blue, or green either by markers on trees, painted on rocks, or if you are on a paved road, you'll see a waist-high white marker pole with the appropriate colored stripe on it), they usually will lead to a covered picnic area, where there is a map on a bulletin board.  Sometimes you will find a tourist map in these areas, so if you have a compass and basic map reading skills, you can find anywhere you need to go.  Now, I understand what you are saying, but Chernarus is 220 square kilometers, so unless you play it 24/7 for about a year, you MIGHT be able to navigate it without a map.

P.S. FWIW, I play on US WD4221

Edited by Stagman70

Im usually on the same server. I used to not use an online map, but after getting lost for 4 hours once, i now check it when i need 2. I would suggest using the map for the coast tho, especially if you plan on meeting up with your friends, it takes away alot of the time it takes to meetup and is nice to get your bearings from the start but thats my opinion. 

Dayz.xam.nu for a detailed satellite map. Just remember the map is a little over 80 square miles. 

14 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

Well in that case, if you happen across a hiking trail (they are marked red, blue, or green either by markers on trees, painted on rocks, or if you are on a paved road, you'll see a waist-high white marker pole with the appropriate colored stripe on it), they usually will lead to a covered picnic area, where there is a map on a bulletin board.  Sometimes you will find a tourist map in these areas, so if you have a compass and basic map reading skills, you can find anywhere you need to go.  Now, I understand what you are saying, but Chernarus is 220 square kilometers, so unless you play it 24/7 for about a year, you MIGHT be able to navigate it without a map.

P.S. FWIW, I play on US WD4221

That’s awesome, thank you! I was wondering what the blue markers were for and couldn’t find anything about it anywhere. 

Didnt realize the map was sooooo big damn. Guess I’ll have to use a map there’s no way I’d remember that. 

Also so curious how everyone goes about looting. Do you just run with no worry of running into other people and try to talk if you do, or do you sneak cautiously house to house and try to fight if you see others? I don’t bump into others much, thank god, I’m always solo my friends refuse to play dayz so I’ve been trying to avoid people 

6 hours ago, Robzom11 said:

Im usually on the same server. I used to not use an online map, but after getting lost for 4 hours once, i now check it when i need 2. I would suggest using the map for the coast tho, especially if you plan on meeting up with your friends, it takes away alot of the time it takes to meetup and is nice to get your bearings from the start but thats my opinion. 

I’m usually on evenings, some time between 7 and midnight est. My gt is same as here. Maybe we can link up or bump into each other. Thanks for the help!

5 hours ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

I’m usually on evenings, some time between 7 and midnight est. My gt is same as here. Maybe we can link up or bump into each other. Thanks for the help!

Ya same, i think i saw your name on the server list before tbh. 

7 hours ago, Hatin Since 87 said:

Also so curious how everyone goes about looting. Do you just run with no worry of running into other people and try to talk if you do, or do you sneak cautiously house to house and try to fight if you see others? I don’t bump into others much, thank god, I’m always solo my friends refuse to play dayz so I’ve been trying to avoid people  

I always try and investigate a town before I go in (it's easier when the binoculars worked), either for players or zombies.  Depending on my mood, I might wait for players to leave town, go in and try and strike up a conversation, shoot them, follow them THEN shoot them.....it all depends.  If there's a lot of zombies, I go into "sneak mode".  If you can take out one or two zombies, fine.  But usually others will get alerted and come after you.  Now, I haven't experienced it yet, but supposedly if you can run from zombies and break their line of site, they will stop running after you, but like I said, I don't know.  What I DO know is that now if you get cornered in a house by a few, or a horde, whatever, and you just sit chill, they eventually lose interest and move on.  As far as not getting your friends to play (all mine like the run and gun stuff), I know what you're going through.  I was fortunate enough to run into some guys from Nova Scotia around Christmas time, and I'm glad we didn't decide to shoot each other.  Good guys, and have had a lot of interesting and funny adventures.  Unfortunately, they are back in the oil fields, so I probably won't see them online for about 5 or 6 months, so I'm running solo as well.  It DEFINITELY adds a whole other lever of "pucker factor" when you have nobody watching your back.