Criosdan

Who else misses bow and arrow?

I know it's not top priority for the devs, nevertheless I miss bows and arrows so much. In my opinion, it's one of the most essential tools for surviving. Well, if you don't play DayZ as any other shooter and focus on survival.

I hope, we will have a reunion in forseeable future.

• Like 1

It will be added in 2 years or so. But something needs to be removed when it gets added. It's the DayZ development way! 

I miss the bow so much every time I see a zed. And many other times, as well. Never liked to make noise with those boomsticks. With a bow, you can kill an entire herd of cows right next to a big city and never worry about unwanted guests.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

I miss the bow so much every time I see a zed. And many other times, as well. Never liked to make noise with those boomsticks. With a bow, you can kill an entire herd of cows right next to a big city and never worry about unwanted guests.

Amen 🙂

22 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

They say they also want it, but it's too hard to put in game now.

That's what makes it very believable or understandable.  The bow and the "throw" is not something that has never been there.  Although the engine has new commands / parameters and syntax, it must be possible to "translate" a sentence from Olddayz to Newdayz.  Surely they want to do the bow "better" than in -0.62, but the basics will still be the same.  So where is the "tight spot" that prevents it?

23 hours ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

They say they also want it, but it's too hard to put in game now. 

What is the difficulty? After all, the mods have a crossbow and it works fine.

I hope not to derail the topic, but the above reminds me of a thing I've been thinking about recently - what is it with the vaulting? Can I ask someone who actually has any programming experience? Because this was one thing that never worked properly. I'm sick and tired of that '6 years of development' card, but I also sincerely can't fathom out why my toon still can't predictably traverse knee-high obstacles, no matter the engine.

Anyhow, back on the topic - bows are cool! 😉 And let's not forget about crossbows. Crafted bolts have been my dream for almost all my DayZ time.

Agreed. Especially with how deadly infected are and how important stealth is now. Very disappointing.

17 hours ago, lex__1 said:

What is the difficulty? After all, the mods have a crossbow and it works fine.

The devs also indicated that it's not possible for them to program the DayZ launcher so that it loads mods before connecting to a server but yet DZSALauncher does that very thing... I think BI needs to hire some modders onto their staff to fix the problems they can't figure out themselves. @maca134 for Bohemia Interactive CEO!

29 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

The devs also indicated that it's not possible for them to program the DayZ launcher so that it loads mods before connecting to a server but yet DZSALauncher does that very thing... I think BI needs to hire some modders onto their staff to fix the problems they can't figure out themselves. @maca134 for Bohemia Interactive CEO! 

In mods, the content can work, but cause any problems of instability of the game. If this happens in vanilla, the content will not add, as I understand it.
Probably not so difficult to create content, more difficult to do so that he would not cause conflicts. For a long time this all happens, not comme il faut.
I am embarrassed by the bad experience with Arma3, which is still broken after six years.
But there is a little glowing hope))). The guys from DayZ, we believe in you, do not pay attention to our snot))).

42 minutes ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

To be fair that was said in context of the in-game server browser. Since the game can't load or unload mods without exiting, the browser can't do it.

The DayZ launcher should be possible to upgrade to do what the DZSA launcher does without problem.

As for the bow what they've said is that it will take time to do it right. The modded crossbow is basically just a reskinned rifle.

• Like 1

The Crossbowmod is based on rifles.  The "Real Crossbow or bow" is a tool to "throw" the bullet -> the bullet must be ingame "real" and not just a fictional "energy" that reaches a target, and there is charged.  A bullet from an arc is therefore an "item" that is not lost immediately.  This circumstance makes much more complicated than a firearm with rounds.

• Beans 2

8 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

The Crossbowmod is based on rifles.  The "Real Crossbow or bow" is a tool to "throw" the bullet -> the bullet must be ingame "real" and not just a fictional "energy" that reaches a target, and there is charged.  A bullet from an arc is therefore an "item" that is not lost immediately.  This circumstance makes much more complicated than a firearm with rounds.

It works the same as a bullet, only regular bullet has no model, tracer bullet has tracer streak model, and crossbow bolt has bolt model. The difference with crossbow is that you should have the bullet/bolt remain after the impact, so it can be recovered. But that's the easiest feature and was already half-implemented with the bow. Real issue is animation and mechanics and mostly or entirely it's a problem for the bow.

• Like 1

Thanks @-Gews-, you explained it better.  (English is not my favorite language ^^).