philbur

Some great reading to pass the time.

If you want to take a break from the current craziness that is Stable Build 1.02....

Head over to the FOCUSED FEEDBACK and STATUS REPORTS discussion thread and start from the beginning.....when @SmashT started the public chronicling of the transformation of Dean's vision.

It's really quite interesting...and it helps give you a overall perspective on how and why we have arrived at this point.

I was closely following the Alpha since it was released back in 2013 and I was reminded on many occasions throughout this discussion thread about the many factors that contributed to, and controlled how we got so off the rails with the Standalone.

Interesting....and slightly reassuring to know that those who still support the game....but despise the development decisions (and the team's ability to deliver on their goals) are still correct in their assumptions. This could almost be a teaching plan for anyone wanting to start a project management company.... "This is how NOT to do it"! 😉

Just imagine they would have used the last two or three years to improve what we had thus far instead of wasting the time to remake everything from the scratch on an unfinished and buggy new engine...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Private Evans said:

Just imagine they would have used the last two or three years to improve what we had thus far instead of wasting the time to remake everything from the scratch on an unfinished and buggy new engine...

Then you would essentially have a mod port with more content, vehicles with shitty physics, and way more hackers. 

• Haha 1

...instead of less to none content, 2 cars with shitty physic and a few less hackers..bravo

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:39 PM, Private Evans said:

...instead of less to none content, 2 cars with shitty physic and a few less hackers..bravo

Sorry to say but no. The correct critique would be that they should have used a new engine from the start. And they should have developed it to be used for a future engine used in more titles.

The engine they used, arma2 / choppers, is very amateur compared to even a five minute unity project, or modding unreal a bit. Which got proven by pubg using standard assets and minimal coding in unreal. 

So that choice was just late. Also it is not a few hackers. It is a lot of them. Even more than you assume, as many only use hacks moderately. Not everyone staples all cars on the server.

FPS. Something that clearly improved. Physics. Network code. Fluidity of animation. No clipping through walls.

Not saying I am happy about the current state especially about how overengineered cr4p the scripts are, I am absolutely not happy at all. But the old engine was a wrong choice from the start.

I went in and read for a bit but all I saw was “this is the way it’s going to be” followed by a bunch of valid and in many cases well thought out feedback resulting in 0 change. 

And they don’t do this anymore. 

‘Nuff said. 

Edited by eno