hemmo

Why i would prefer bikes over cars

Risk vs reward vs availabillity.

With 15 big cities and 50smaller towns, i would estimate +- 100 to 150 bikes as realistic. 

What do you guys think? What effects would this have on the game?

Edited by hemmo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hemmo said:

With 15 big cities and 50smaller towns, i would estimate +- 100 to 150 bikes as realistic. 

I take it that you have no clue about coding and resources. If you did you'd know that Its near impossible to implement this well. 

I like the idea, thats not the point. Point is look at where we are now; nothing works properly and you want to replace allready existing assets with New problem assets.

Like choppers/buses/bikes will never be working in the vanille game. 

8 minutes ago, McWendy said:

actually BI wants to show working heli on gamescom this year (or E3, not sure now)

+ models of plane, heli and bikes are already done, bikes are even in game files already

Edited by TheSzepy

1 minute ago, TheSzepy said:

actually BI wants to show working heli on gamescom this year (or E3, not sure now)

Thats True.  But we all know what bi says and in fact does

Fact is they say a lot but never deliver (good products)

Look at the cars. Then imagine a helicopter....... exactly

• Like 1

Just now, McWendy said:

Thats True.  But we all know what bi says and in fact does

Fact is they say a lot but never deliver (good products)

Look at the cars. Then imagine a helicopter....... exactly

+ dont forgot the serverside simulation of vehicles lol... one little lag and rip

• Haha 1

Just now, TheSzepy said:

+ dont forgot the serverside simulation of vehicles lol... one little lag and rip

So yeah we agree. The idea is good. Implementation will suck.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe valid arguments. However, my point is that all the work on cars and busses, helies and whatever can be directed to bikes. As its just a better form of transportation...

• Like 2

Eve online tested a new technology with 14 thousand ships in a battle. Six thousand where players.  Besides that there where 100.000s of thousands of rockets. Its a server technology that can scale no matter what server load. Aether Engine, which is basically used intigrated with whatever game engine. 

Just think of the possibilites in a game like DayZ....you could have hoards of Zombies, vehicles that actually work etc... 

Now I doubt DayZ would ever afford this. But one can always dream. 

4 hours ago, hemmo said:

Yeah maybe valid arguments. However, my point is that all the work on cars and busses, helies and whatever can be directed to bikes. As its just a better form of transportation...

I didnt get that point from your OP.

But yes on that i agree. Resources could be spend better 

As much as I hate to admit it... I think they have already implemented helicopters…. Every time my LADA bounces around and then launches in to lower Earth orbit I feel like either an attack chopper pilot or an astronaut.... Soon to be dead, mind you... 

But...on bikes.... It seems to be one of those things that you simply MUST have in a game like this one.

Call it a no-brainer, if you want.... but bikes are one of those things that you expect to be an option in a post-devastation/eradication world....more than ANY motorized option, especially.

It should have been a "must-have" from the start...and maybe it might have contributed to positive advancements in their new game engine as well....as the requirements would have given them higher goals in their optimizations, perhaps....

This is all based on the premise that DayZ SA is still meant to be a hardcore Survival game, mind you.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, philbur said:

As much as I hate to admit it... I think they have already implemented helicopters…. Every time my LADA bounces around and then launches in to lower Earth orbit I feel like either an attack chopper pilot or an astronaut.... Soon to be dead, mind you...

You got it all wrong, guys. You want to emulate birds, when the key is to think like a fish. Forget about wings and rotors, a vigorous breaststroke is your answer! Just look at me below - straight from the Svergino pond I took to the skies to marvel and amuse. Sadly, in the clouds I died of thirst. Allow us to eat while floating already, devs! It hurts my immersion to majestically swim through the heavens and still not be able to reach my pockets.

Spoiler

20190416032643-1.jpg

20190416032819-1.jpg

20190416033807-1.jpg

20190416033809-1.jpg

(This happened on an unmodded community server; I have no idea what happened apart from a quick relog in the water and I have no idea how to use modding tools, so this is 'legit'. It's my first time in Chernarus skies). 😄

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)

On 4/19/2019 at 4:14 PM, McWendy said:

Bikes used to work GOOD - they were my fave method of transport, go anywhere,  and easy to hide.
They worked in the vanilla game.
Why do you say bikes will never work in the vanilla game?

34 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Bikes used to work GOOD - they were my fave method of transport, go anywhere,  and easy to hide.
They worked in the vanilla game.
Why do you say bikes will never work in the vanilla game?

Where are they now?

Where is all content that was working, now? 

And in what version did that bike work? The mod? 

Im sorry pilgrim, i love your posts and input but show me the good working bike within this standalone. 

• Beans 1

22 minutes ago, McWendy said:

show me the good working bike within this standalone.

as you know there is NOT a good working bike now in this Standalone .. that is what the thread is about .. er .. right ?

where are they now ??

anyone want to see the bicycle , look at  :

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Bicycle

xpx

• Haha 1

Resurrecting this little thread, has anyone heard any word on when bicycles are getting implemented?

I can wait for the helicopter(s) but the lack of the bicycle is wearing a little thin.

Some context for the last remark: I've been playing DayZ since the summer of 2012 and I miss the joys of silently and swiftly moving through the map.

For those who never played the mod, when you found a bike, it felt like winning a prize. I miss those moments.

8 hours ago, philbottle said:

Resurrecting this little thread, has anyone heard any word on when bicycles are getting implemented?

I can wait for the helicopter(s) but the lack of the bicycle is wearing a little thin.

Some context for the last remark: I've been playing DayZ since the summer of 2012 and I miss the joys of silently and swiftly moving through the map.

For those who never played the mod, when you found a bike, it felt like winning a prize. I miss those moments.

Well, given they seem to be focusing their recent development efforts on things related to their new "BR mode" version of the game, my guess would be...no time soon.  Of course, you could make the argument that having a bike in the BR version could help you "get to the next zone" faster, so who knows, maybe they'll surprise us and 1.05 will have a bike in it.  I wouldn't hold my breath though...sometime in 2020 would be my guess.

As others have said in this thread though, if the bikes react as the cars do on populated servers, would we even want them in the game?  Can you imagine biking along a road heading into a major city then having your screen freeze for a few seconds, followed by a quick flash of your character suddenly traveling at Mach 1 into the side of a building, followed by "You are dead".

Don't get me wrong...I would love to see all sorts of "transportation methods" added, like bikes, boats, helis, maybe a bus to carry a bunch of people around which could be fun and a working train as a mod might be bringing us soon.  All these things would be cool to have and help to get around the map, but they need to be implemented solidly and not fragile as cars currently are in most cases.

• Like 1

We had a bus!! It was so much fun too.

But yeah we "had" a lot.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:21 PM, TheSzepy said:

+ models of plane, heli and bikes are already done, bikes are even in game files already

Have you got a source for that information about Gamescom?

after an hour search of:

pedals, wheels, bike pump, chain and handlebar, yes, you can go on a journey in BI style 😉

*and your dream dream helicopter guys, what do you think? frame will be at middle of NWAF, main rotor blades in Tisy, back rotor blades in Krasno AF (and just - MAYBE!?) and engine parts have to be colected from random crash sites + we will be modest, 10L of oil at least and gas, tons of it... then stick it into the first hill after 5 minutes of flight because the server crashed, hah

Edited by Eugene Neils
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, Eugene Neils said:

after an hour search of:

pedals, wheels, bike pump, chain and handlebar, yes, you can go on a journey in BI style 😉

*and your dream dream helicopter guys, what do you think? frame will be at middle of NWAF, main rotor blades in Tisy, back rotor blades in Krasno AF (and just - MAYBE!?) and engine parts have to be colected from random crash sites + we will be modest, 10L of oil at least and gas, tons of it... then stick it into the first hill after 5 minutes of flight because the server crashed, hah

That's awesome man, beans for you 😀

On 4/19/2019 at 11:30 AM, hemmo said:

Great for stealth mode, hiding and traveling around edge of map on to transport loot stolen from camps that seem to hover on the edge of maps.

On 4/22/2019 at 10:50 PM, green_mtn_grandbob said:

I heard them say bikes are too hard to put in game now.