Brandon Clinch

Thoughts on QnA Dev. Stream yesterday

4 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

There's still quite a few animations missing for stabbing with both one-handed and two-handed weapons. For the first iteration we prioritised the swinging/slashing animations as they can be used more realistic by all kinds of weapons. With the upcoming updates we'll hopefully be able to expand on this, to give individual weapons a more unique feel.

Alright, thanks for answering!

Will there be impacts on obstacles and other objects implemented too? Feels a bit silly that there is no impact or change in the animation when swinging near a wall, I was actually able to kill a few zombies outside a barracks by spamming melee attacks against the window, with the infected milling about outside. Granted, the zeds can sometimes hit me too when I'm too close to walls or windows, but ideally these things shouldn't happen. Also, will breaking down locked doors with axes be back as well?

Edited by Derleth

21 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

But yeah, we are practically developing a new game from scratch with the version you've been able to play since 0.63. It will take time, though we know that's not what players want to see from a game that's been available for more than 5 years now.

Thanks. Really.

This should have been said months ago.  It's been fairly obvious, but never confirmed directly.  Many of us were under the impression that 1.0 was going to be more like a direct port; but as the iterations dragged on through the .63 experimental cycles, there became a sense of dissonance between what we expected and what we were seeing.
20/20 hindsight... Call this DayZ SA 1.0 Alpha.

Please don't underestimate the capacity for understanding from the core supporters.  Openness and understanding go hand-in-hand.  Many of us would have been much more understanding if 1.0 was called a re-start rather than a release.

• Beans 3

20 hours ago, Derleth said:

Will there be impacts on obstacles and other objects implemented too?

Yes.

I was actually able to kill a few zombies outside a barracks by spamming melee attacks against the window, with the infected milling about outside. Granted, the zeds can sometimes hit me too when I'm too close to walls or windows, but ideally these things shouldn't happen.

True, this is a known issue and the team is working on a fix.

Also, will breaking down locked doors with axes be back as well? 

Yes, it is necessary to finally give some real gameplay around the lockpicks. They are very much overpowered so far.

2 hours ago, emuthreat said:

This should have been said months ago.  It's been fairly obvious, but never confirmed directly.  Many of us were under the impression that 1.0 was going to be more like a direct port; but as the iterations dragged on through the .63 experimental cycles, there became a sense of dissonance between what we expected and what we were seeing.
20/20 hindsight... Call this DayZ SA 1.0 Alpha.

Please don't underestimate the capacity for understanding from the core supporters.  Openness and understanding go hand-in-hand.  Many of us would have been much more understanding if 1.0 was called a re-start rather than a release.

It was not intended to be a restart and there have been false estimates on our side, if I refer back to the expectations for 2018 we shared in November 2017. Several features estimated to be done in BETA had to be pushed back. If we communicated DayZ 1.0 as "DayZ 2.0" or our "second alpha" or "full release" - no naming will change the facts that the BETA and 1.0 versions did not have the same content/features that have been developed over 5 years for the legacy version of the game. There are obviously way more factors involved, but ultimately players have been disappointed because expectations have not been met. This again leads us to the only compromise, to promise less in the future and continue to work hard to deliver in the post-release development.

Regarding the "20/20 hindsight", naturally we use post-mortems and internal feedback to figure out where mistakes have been made. In the large scope of things this lesson is probably not to change technology during development. But starting off with legacy technology, and after more than 5 years it becomes difficult to estimate where DayZ as a project and brand would be today if we had decided to take a different path, in whatever direction. It's easy to say it would be better, but the realities of game development are bound come up with this ambitious project, no matter what appears to be the "easy street".

So yeah, the only way for us leads forward. The devs are still in the office every day and determined to make DayZ the best game possible.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

On 4/25/2019 at 4:08 AM, ImpulZ said:

Now, 4 months into 2019, we already have two with the third on the way.

Can you tell us anything about that? When will there be an experimental version, what's in the update (loosely), how close are we, etc. Thank you.

10 hours ago, ImpulZ said:

This again leads us to the only compromise, to promise less in the future and continue to work hard to deliver in the post-release development.

Right on, take an old cold tater and wait. LOL

f i'm not mistaken the stream you are refereing to was the Xbox Q&A stream that they had on Mixer ? If so, that Stream was almost entirely focused on Xbox questions all along from the start, hence why they transmited on Mixer (which is a Microsoft/Xbox platform).

@ImpulZ Would you know anything about the Loot spawns?
When 1.0 was released, the Loot in Military areas were more diverse.

People said that Hoarders and Dupers have been messing up the Loot spawn.
Because currently, the Loot in Military areas have been completely messed up in Official Servers.

This isn't just me, People on the Dayz Discord have also complained.

Almost nothing spawns in the Long 2 Story White Barracks
Tents are literally impossible to find
Going through over 40 different Military areas up north, switching servers, and still No M4/AK/Tents

https://imgur.com/a/fCJiBZh
https://imgur.com/a/Fkuk4Hc
https://imgur.com/a/x4F5oKv

This should help^^

Edited by bl4ckt4gz