Brandon Clinch

Thoughts on QnA Dev. Stream yesterday

How many of you watched it and what is your thoughts on it?

I did not go into the stream with a negative outset on the contrary  I was genuinely interested in what they had to say about the state + the future and so on but very little info was given. I did not even feel a glimmer of hope and was mostly left with the impression of a tired and drained atmosphere. 70% of the questions were answered with "yeah.. uhmm.. we don't know yet honestly / we want this too, just as much as you do, but right now....."  awkward silence...

Two things that got me down was how Martin basically said that airplanes maybe won't even make it into the game and that the physics engine / sever communication is so messed up that they can't even implement player rag dolls without causing major issues (33:45). When he talked about the ragdoll /physic issues his whole body language came off as super tired and as if they are completely in the dark on how to fix that problem or that it is a huge undertaking.  Same thing with the bow, Martin said it will take major time before it will be re-implement. On the flip side they aim to implement broken bones, sickness and hit boxes (if I did not mistake that one?) soon.

Short summary: The devs only announced "we are working on it / we don't know yet / it will take long time" + news that some things like airplanes might not even make into the game and that ragdoll is a nightmare to add due to physics.

Link to the stream: https://mixer.com/DayZ?vod=98056701

Edited by Brandon Clinch

8 minutes ago, Brandon Clinch said:

Same thing with the bow, Martin said it will take major time before it will be re-implement. 

Yesterday I played on a server with mods, where I found a crossbow. Excellent tool for silent killing zombies. It was funny to see the behavior of a zombie, when I wounded him with a bolt, he growled in fury and looked around to find me, but did not understand which side the shot was.

• Beans 1

18 minutes ago, lex__1 said:

Yesterday I played on a server with mods, where I found a crossbow. Excellent tool for silent killing zombies. It was funny to see the behavior of a zombie, when I wounded him with a bolt, he growled in fury and looked around to find me, but did not understand which side the shot was.

i havent played that mod but is it really working?...just...i dont understand.
devs cant develope crossbow but we allready had mod for it?

or is it because xbox and ps4 cant have mods so they cant officially add crossbow or what...explain?
also there is now mod what makes player to vomit if eating raw meat or suspicious mushrooms...in two years,why devs coudnt add vomit effects?

was there any word about fishing?...i thinkt that its same as bow...very hard to implement....so we need fishing mod....

Edited by kopo79

To be honest with ya'? As much as I am disappointed with another Xbox Q&A stream, I am thrilled of Martin's professionality if it comes to questions, I'm sorry but ""yeah.. uhmm.. we don't know yet honestly" " awkward silence..." completly destroyes ANY sense of trust for anything he says. Even if you don't know something as a community manager, you could save that situation with "We're not able to release any other information in that case at this point, but we assure you that as fast as there will be somethnig to share with you, we'll hopefully will" - Boom, no akward silence, no "we don't know" answers, by that community has more insurance that their waiting is worth it. That is what I think of this stream. 

• Beans 1

6 minutes ago, Vernon_Price said:

To be honest with ya'? As much as I am disappointed with another Xbox Q&A stream, I am thrilled of Martin's professionality if it comes to questions, I'm sorry but ""yeah.. uhmm.. we don't know yet honestly" " awkward silence..." completly destroyes ANY sense of trust for anything he says. Even if you don't know something as a community manager, you could save that situation with "We're not able to release any other information in that case at this point, but we assure you that as fast as there will be somethnig to share with you, we'll hopefully will" - Boom, no akward silence, no "we don't know" answers, by that community has more insurance that their waiting is worth it. That is what I think of this stream. 

And how is that working out for us? Still waiting on that roadmap which was promised last year...

• Beans 4

17 minutes ago, IMT said:

And how is that working out for us? Still waiting on that roadmap which was promised last year...

I don't think we'll get one tbh. Its april... and it was supossed to be released at the end of january.

1 hour ago, kopo79 said:

or is it because xbox and ps4 cant have mods so they cant officially add crossbow or what...explain?

I think that the problem is not in adding content to the game, but in the stability of the game when the content is added. When I play on a server without mods, the game goes on for a long time, there is no restart of the server or client. But with mods, everything is different, often a client or server crashes. Players continue to play with mods, taking pleasure in a wide choice of content and do not make sharp claims to the manufacturer of mods. Players understand the specifics of problems with mods, build their gaming experience in the light of known problems in mods. Who does not like frequent mistakes - do not play with mods.

25 minutes ago, Vernon_Price said:

"We're not able to release any other information in that case at this point, but we assure you that as fast as there will be somethnig to share with you, we'll hopefully will" - Boom, no akward silence, no "we don't know" answers, by that community has more insurance that their waiting is worth it. That is what I think of this stream.  

I will add my view on this. The responsible person will not make promises, in the fulfillment of which he is not sure. As for development plans, everyone probably understands that, at a minimum, the DayZ team wants to return all the content of the old game to the game, and make it better than it was. This is not easy to do, given the need to refine the new engine and adapt it with new content, or vice versa. Performance, stability, and a picture of a new engine is a great achievement for a game of this magnitude. But the DayZ team still has a lot of work to do, which I think causes some problems in building some priority in the plans, it is always possible in any new project.

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

47 minutes ago, Vernon_Price said:

To be fair he also stated that they won't spoil anything until they know it will be in a coming update as they have mess up that part so hard in the past. Still though, there is a lot of big question marks floating around the major issues and it seems like the devs knows as much as us about them.

Edited by Brandon Clinch

Just found out that helicopters are now on a wishlist. On a wishlist?! What are they planing for this year at all? Will we even have functional cars or any sort of throwing mechanic this year, to be honest I think not.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, kopo79 said:

i havent played that mod but is it really working?...just...i dont understand.
devs cant develope crossbow but we allready had mod for it?

Crossbow is easy-peasy, it's just like a gun, only needs animations. And look, the mod doesn't even have its own animations (but remember modders can't do animations yet anyways).

Someone can do that crossbow mod easily. Bow is hard because it's not like a gun. Bow wasn't great before, janky, a little better than some gave credit for. But apparently they want to make it, for example, pulling back more = more power. Or some stuff like that. Needs its own code.

6 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Crossbow is easy-peasy, it's just like a gun, only needs animations. And look, the mod doesn't even have its own animations (but remember modders can't do animations yet anyways).

Someone can do that crossbow mod easily. Bow is hard because it's not like a gun. Bow wasn't great before, janky, a little better than some gave credit for. But apparently they want to make it, for example, pulling back more = more power. Or some stuff like that. Needs its own code.

Souns like same mechs as trowing a granade.

20 hours ago, Mookie (original) said:

Time was when I'd listen to the devs with interest. 

Those times have passed.

It just sad.. every time they make an announcement or communicate it is either bad news, leaves the buyers /players with a iffy vibe or leaves the "scene" open for contemplating about a terrible outcome. With all that put together it would point at they truly don't have anything major to bring to the table. I mean they can't even implement ragdolls and has yet not even (in soon 4 months) been able to bring back core features. To a 1.0 game.

• Like 1

I am expecting DLC before any major content updates. Seriously. We've just started using mods because the current content is so far behind anything they do it's depressing.

Edited by tandwan

I remember a couple of months ago when DayZ had just gotten released.

Some people said that "they knew that the development would seriously pickup now". Only based on that they got the new engine up and running now. 

I on the other hand stated that after 6 years of developmemt issues and finally a rushed release. There is zero indications that the DayZ development would pick up.

Hate to say it. BUT YOU WHERE SO DAMN WRONG! Wish DayZ had a bright future, but I doubt we will see any major stuff from the devs. And if we do it will still be at a snails pace. There is no big money in DayZ and they know it. 

Only hope is some seriously talented modders. But eben that has its limits, due to messy core game. 

Holy crap that was cringe. I don't think Martin is the right person to be at the helm. He was very distracted with playing and not effectively answering questions. Matt Lightfoot was fired/replaced/removed/whatever for less. Seems like Martin isn't in the loop either. The guy on the left (ImpulZ?) would be much better suited.

What happened to Eugen? I thought Eugen did a great job with this stuff. 

• Beans 1

On 4/19/2019 at 5:23 PM, Evilsausage said:

BUT YOU WHERE SO DAMN WRONG!

In defense of previously defending the process:  Many of us were, and still are, very disappointed by the decision to slap the 1.0 label on a version of the game that didn't have even 50% content parity with .62.  Many longtime players and supporters have stepped away indefinitely.
What many of us considered to be core survival elements are still held back pending animations and physics implementations.  Fishing, bows, wire snares, etc. have all fallen by the wayside for a base building rollout that is lackluster at best, and needed modding to make work as most people would have liked to see it.
Even the modding community is disappointed with the lack of tools and documentation at this point.

It was a big dissappointment; still is...

• Beans 2

base building is a useless waste of time.  the grind to find all the tools, nails and lumber then all the labor to construct can be wiped in less than a minute when someone locates you base.  i purchased dayz when it was in .28.  i hadn't played since version .60 and came back in the past few weeks only to find out the futility of attempting to create the one thing ive been looking forward to since .28.  ive seen the mods but not sure if even they are worth the time investment.

edit:  on second thought, i have lost any desire to play what will seemingly be forever a perma-death KOS running simulator.

Edited by fat nixxer
  • Beans 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, fat nixxer said:

base building is a useless waste of time.  the grind to find all the tools, nails and lumber then all the labor to construct can be wiped in less than a minute when someone locates you base.

Find a server that has this on it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1707452249

Yep. Having been on modded servers with the regular mathematically-far-from-impregnable combo lock, something better was desperately needed. The last two locks I broke took about five minutes each. 

I appreciate the point that modded servers usually make life too easy for everyone, but the sheer speed that modders pick up and deal with weaknesses in the game is either depressing or great, depending on your pov.

And in other news, the fact that long termers like Weyland (with who I've had arguments in the past), emu and others are seemingly so disillusioned seems instructive.

The modders may yet save the game. Vanilla is so crap atm that I'm just checking in to sustain my stashes. Otherwise modded servers seem to be where it's at.

Me, I check on their twitter a few times a week to see if anything interesting has been said. Aside from that I just play the game and let stuff come when it comes. I don't give a toss about helicopters here or more guns there (the former is not needed and the latter is provided by modders anyway) but I am disappointed with lacking survival elements, arcade medical system, throwing and vaulting not being implemented yet and the missing bow. You know, basic elements of the game that had no business being left out of a 1.0 release. As stated so many times before...

Not going to work myself into a rage over it though, the game is still fun, and as long as I'm having fun I'll just keep playing and let stuff arrive whenever it arrives. Recently my brother started playing and I'm having a blast keeping him company as he learns the game and makes noob mistakes. And since he never played 0.62 he has no idea what is missing that used to be in, it is very refreshing to run with someone not constantly whinging about how crap the devs are for removing whatever.

• Beans 2

So I just had time to watch the entire Q & A live stream, and I didn't find it as bleak as some would have it. Peak moment was the sheer panic when they saw another player in Tisy and just didn't know what to do. "You don't talk to people in Tisy." True words.

It made me happy that Martin was so honest about how much he wants the bow and arrow back, I've seen Eugen or Peter say the same in another interview so I have no doubt that the bow will be back eventually, and that it will be worth the damn wait when it comes.

One thing though, hopefully @ImpulZ can answer this (please!), when is the stabbing animation coming back? Using spears and sticks feels very awkward at the moment - you are just not supposed to smack zeds over their heads with a spear...

Also, as the video of Baty fighting zeds showed several times just as you were speaking about it, the zeds running through players in melee is still not 100% fixed. I trust your words when you say this is being tweaked though.

• Beans 1

9 minutes ago, Derleth said:

..//..

^
ALL that

and  THROWING   too

=BEANZ=

p.s.  - when the bow comes back it could maybe do with a LITTLE power up.. I remember @-Gews- pointing out how underpowered it was, way back
(well, hell,  I kind of think I remember.. have to check my DNA backup)  

• Beans 1

On 4/20/2019 at 2:23 AM, Evilsausage said:

I remember a couple of months ago when DayZ had just gotten released.

Some people said that "they knew that the development would seriously pickup now". Only based on that they got the new engine up and running now. 

I on the other hand stated that after 6 years of developmemt issues and finally a rushed release. There is zero indications that the DayZ development would pick up.

Hate to say it. BUT YOU WHERE SO DAMN WRONG! Wish DayZ had a bright future, but I doubt we will see any major stuff from the devs. And if we do it will still be at a snails pace. There is no big money in DayZ and they know it. 

Only hope is some seriously talented modders. But eben that has its limits, due to messy core game. 

The update pace has increased since the release. Between 2016 and 2018 we were only able to release one Stable update roughly every 6 months, due to the work on the legacy engine. Now, 4 months into 2019, we already have two with the third on the way. But yeah, we are practically developing a new game from scratch with the version you've been able to play since 0.63. It will take time, though we know that's not what players want to see from a game that's been available for more than 5 years now.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:56 PM, Derleth said:

One thing though, hopefully @ImpulZ can answer this (please!), when is the stabbing animation coming back? Using spears and sticks feels very awkward at the moment - you are just not supposed to smack zeds over their heads with a spear...

There's still quite a few animations missing for stabbing with both one-handed and two-handed weapons. For the first iteration we prioritised the swinging/slashing animations as they can be used more realistic by all kinds of weapons. With the upcoming updates we'll hopefully be able to expand on this, to give individual weapons a more unique feel.

• Beans 2