-Gews-

No Face Hitbox

Saw this one posted to the DayZ subreddit. Seen a looot of complaints about these helmets but not yet such an explicit demonstration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

a private modded server.  Nothing to see here.  Don't blame the devs for shitty mods.  

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

a private modded server.  Nothing to see here.  Don't blame the devs for shitty mods.  

Don't blame modders for the shitty ballistic system. A mod/multiple mods doesn't immediately give the developers an automatic get out of jail free card. Stop giving them fucking get out of jail free cards.

• Beans 1

3 minutes ago, IMT said:

Don't blame modders for the shitty ballistic system. A mod/multiple mods doesn't immediately give the developers an automatic get out of jail free card. Stop giving them fucking get out of jail free cards.

Video maker @Halfblood informs us also that bullet damage, at least against players, no longer drops off. In older versions of DayZ, the bullet damage decreased over distance as the rounds slowed down. Same thing in ARMA 2, ARMA 3. Same thing even in unrealistic Battle Royale games like PUBG. I mean, even the likes of Apex and Fortnite have this on their weapons.

But apparently (I'll trust Halfblood's on this one) the DayZ devs, when overriding the old damage system, didn't code this feature in!

gg!

• Beans 3

6 hours ago, IMT said:

Let's see your game buddy.  You and gews seem to talk shit outta your asses so much.  Lets see your great army simulator with "realistic" gunz

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Let's see your game buddy.  You and gews seem to talk shit outta your asses so much.  Lets see your great army simulator with "realistic" gunz

They aren't complaining about the game or the devs, they are pointing out a possible flaw in the ballistic system. This is a good thing, and part of the reason we have a forum to begin with. If you know better, please share your information. Otherwise, hang back. The personal attacks are not okay.

• Like 1
  • Beans 5

2 hours ago, Max Planck said:

They aren't complaining about the game or the devs, they are pointing out a possible flaw in the ballistic system. This is a good thing, and part of the reason we have a forum to begin with. If you know better, please share your information. Otherwise, hang back. The personal attacks are not okay.

au contraire mon ami.  Perhaps go through some post history of these two outstanding forum posters and you will see a lot of hate directed at the devs.  Maybe not so much by gews unless it comes to weapons.  Then the devs are incompetent morons who have never fired a weapon before 🙄

Edited by Guy Smiley

19 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

au contraire mon ami.  Perhaps go through some post history of these two outstanding forum posters and you will see a lot of hate directed at the devs.  Maybe not so much by gews unless it comes to weapons.  Then the devs are incompetent morons who have never fired a weapon before 🙄

I've been aware of Gews and his posts since 2012 and I disagree. Nevertheless, should you encounter anything irredeemably offensive from his hand, if you think he is "talking shit out of his ass" for example, you are hereby invited to make use of the 'report' button.

If you wish to discuss this any further, PM Impulz. This thread is back on topic.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Beans 2

From u/psychotron42 in response to Halfblood's Reddit post:

Hey, our community manager Tim, asked me directly at morning.

I will give you the same answer: there never was any kind of 'face hitbox', not in old DayZ (0.62 and before) nor in new DayZ (0.63 and after).

In old DayZ there was one hitpoint (as you can't call points boxes or zones) for the head, in new DayZ there is head hit zone and brain hit zone.

Check this image if you want to see how it was before and how it is now (apart from heart, lungs, spine, and liver hit zones which are currently deactivated, only one active vital zone is a brain in 1.02).

elPvV1D.jpg

Which doesn't tell us much of anything, we already know there is no specific "face hitbox", Halfblood is obviously referring to the portion of the head hitbox that is not covered by the helmet model (the portion of the character model which contains the eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, chin and forehead commonly being referred to as the "face"). Previously this "face" was shootable and helmeted folks shot there died. Organs all deactivated + bullet health damage dropped to just 1/3 of initial 1.0 levels also explains much elsewhere too...

Edited by -Gews-
  • Beans 2

More info and apparently these issues described are on the fix list.

So it's quite true, as in the video, there's no ability to shoot a "weak spot" at the unprotected face right now as helmet equipped protects entire head and brain (again as seen in video, even then helmet protection values can use a lot of lowering).

YFmlTIW.png

So it's not a private modded server, after all... I'm sure that's the last time Guy Smiley pulled a far-fetched assumption out of a hat. 😉

And thanks, Gews, interesting read.

• Beans 2

Would explain why a guy I just shot in the side of the face from 50m with a USG was able to shake it off and come back for more. 

1 hour ago, eno said:

Would explain why a guy I just shot in the side of the face from 50m with a USG was able to shake it off and come back for more. 

watch the video and look at the reload mechanic.  Didn't prove shit 😉 

watch the video and look at the reload mechanic.  Didn't prove shit 😉 

It's proved right above you. Lead Designer Peter Nespesny (/u/psychotron42) says in the reddit post:

"Helmets nor vest never has any fire geometry when attached to a player character"

and

"damage system tells that head hit zone is protected with helmet and damage to the zone is lowered accordingly".

He also says "both issues are on our to-do list".

So in fact, the truth is that there is no helmet hitbox, and that equipping a helmet simply reduces damage to your character's entire head. For the time being.

• Like 1
  • Beans 4

21 minutes ago, -Gews- said:

It's proved right above you. Lead Designer Peter Nespesny (/u/psychotron42) says in the reddit post:

"Helmets nor vest never has any fire geometry when attached to a player character"

and

"damage system tells that head hit zone is protected with helmet and damage to the zone is lowered accordingly".

He also says "both issues are on our to-do list".

So in fact, the truth is that there is no helmet hitbox, and that equipping a helmet simply reduces damage to your character's entire head. For the time being.

Okay so that’s why the gorka helmet with visor is said to not have additional benefits- since the entire head is protected with every Helmet. Sorry that whole thing was confusing but I think I get it now. 

Start at 2:37.  Explain how the side of the head differs from the front?  And how he is only unconscious from a shot to the head lol

Edited by Guy Smiley

6 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Start at 2:37.  Explain how the side of the head differs from the front?  And how he is only unconscious from a shot to the head lol

It doesn't, helmets are currently only visual. Helmet is an item that applies protection to the entire head. Helmet model doesn't exist to the bullet, only its damage reduction.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

12 hours ago, -Gews- said:

It doesn't, helmets are currently only visual. Helmet is an item that applies protection to the entire head. Helmet model doesn't exist to the bullet, only its damage reduction.

I'm talking about the difference between your video of the guy taking multiple point-blank shots to the face compared to the single shot in the video I posted.

19 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

1 hour ago, IMT said:

He was using g a legit gun.  Unlike Gews video where you watch the reload and the clip just magically goes in.  Nice try tho 😏

He was using g a legit gun.  Unlike Gews video where you watch the reload and the clip just magically goes in.  Nice try tho 😏

What about @eno's video? He was using a FAL, shot a guy in the head without a helmet and he only went unconscious. Nice try though.

• Beans 1

9 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

What video?  Keep in context to the thread 😉

Oh, this is very much in the context of this thread:

Given you already replied there, you must have seen the video already, right?

21 minutes ago, IMT said:

Oh, this is very much in the context of this thread:

Given you already replied there, you must have seen the video already, right?

Listen child.  You've been put in your place.  No need to keep trying to show how modded servers are fucked and you guys keep calling foul on the devs.  Again, I cannot wait for your superior game.  When does it come out?

Listen child.  You've been put in your place.  No need to keep trying to show how modded servers are fucked and you guys keep calling foul on the devs.  Again, I cannot wait for your superior game.  When does it come out?

"Child"? "Been put in my place"? Good job with the personal attack and taking it to the playground level. Really shows how "I've been put in my place".

There is no need to scream "modded server, doesn't count", "modded server, don't blame the devs", etc. Yes, the video in the OP does have a weapon mod installed, probably the Weapon Redux mod. Does this make the video invalid? No. Let me explain why, a mod or multiple mods don't make a video or claim invalid instantly. The gun you see is the AK101, it shoots 5.56mm. The caliber is in the game so the ballistics and physics concerning that round are set by the developers. Since it's a 5.56 and an assault rifle, the gun itself most likely has just the copied values from the M4A1, which is also in the game. This means you would get the same results with the M4A1, which is an official weapon. It's unfortunate that they used the AK101 and not an official gun because they will lose the credibility of those who don't have a clue how things work. If they used the M4A1, you would've said nothing about mods but the mod would still be installed and you wouldn't know about it, at all.

Also, I'm not always calling foul on the developers. And what do you call "foul"? My criticism has always been true and based on facts. I don't come up with made up shit or whatever and I most certainly don't criticise to just hate on the developers. Plus, if you have been somewhat been active on the forums the last couple of years, you should know that I didn't always criticise them before. In fact, my posts have always been defensive towards the game and the developers. Until one point, one day and one event, the announcement of 1.0. Yes, since then I have shown a lot of criticism, disbelieve and no trust in the developers. Gee, I wonder why. I paid for a product at the time which promised to be a real and true survival game once it hits 1.0. I paid for it because I thought that it would be the best game survival game out there once it hits 1.0. Guess how that turned out. So tell me, don't I have a damn good reason to criticise their actions and words? The worst thing of all is that I always told the people who literally hated on the game "wait until 1.0 is out and then come back and judge the game. I'm sure your opinion is going to be different at that point". Do you now understand why I feel backstabbed, betrayed and lied to?

And really, the "I can not wait for your superior game" argument? Come on man, you really got no better arguments? I'm not here to develop a game. If I was, I would be doing that instead of posting this. I'm here because I bought DayZ.

Edited by IMT
  • Beans 4