Dr._Buzzkill

solved...Pings all 180+ not sure if that is normal

I am having trouble melee killing. My buttons are different than other games, so that is part of it, but zombies move a bit choppy and i am wondering if it is a latency issue... i am on a cable modem with a fast connection for everything else. In the USA , NYC area.

Im pretty experienced with  fps games having started on an atari playing castle wolfenstein. I have only had three characters so far and two have died geared ok from zombies  *so sad. 

Just checking to see if the pings seem normal before i die again like the newb i am.

Any thought are appreiated

Edited by Dr._Buzzkill
solved

12 hours ago, Dr._Buzzkill said:

I am having trouble melee killing. My buttons are different than other games, so that is part of it, but zombies move a bit choppy and i am wondering if it is a latency issue... i am on a cable modem with a fast connection for everything else. In the USA , NYC area.

Im pretty experienced with  fps games having started on an atari playing castle wolfenstein. I have only had three characters so far and two have died geared ok from zombies  *so sad. 

Just checking to see if the pings seem normal before i die again like the newb i am.

Any thought are appreiated

Eh doc- tough to say but I’d say organize your servers by ping and find something low... just click on the ping column. If all your servers are 180 there is an issue. 

The glitchy AF zombies are more prevalent on busy servers. Any server with more than 1 person will tend to drag and skip a little. Zombies will be looking one way and striking another. 

You sound like you’re probably my age... send me a pm if you want a little help figuring things out. 

See ya. 

Edited by eno

Thanks  for the reply.  I am fairly tech savy and have verified the cache, turned off the second nic in the machine. Unistalled battleye and reinstalled. My pings aand speed tests show the fast speeds of optimum cable. Never had an issue. It is a Win7 i7 machine with 12 gigs ram, video card has 8gigs ram  runnning  malwarebytes and and mse only.  I keep the system fairly lean and mean *in mymind at least.

The game runs well otherwise with not much chatter, some servers seem to have some doorway issues, but nothing else seems bad. When i have the pings listed in low to high order, the best evêr ping listed is like 160 and sometimes the best is 200, worst i think was 590 or so, but that is my range.  Lynksys router runs ddwrt and has been a good router for a while. If i can find the portsmi would forward them to the machine. I do have a 18 camera system running in the house, but im pretty sure all cameras go throuh switches and not the router. The server is in the basement.

I am going to unplug evrything from my router, reboot it and just plug in the pc to see if that has any effect when i get home tonight. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

I have other switches to change things up if the video streams are messing things up, but i have gigabit netwirk and the streams are like 2 percent  of capabilities.

I wanted to add that the controls are very different to me. I always use a mouse4 thumb button for melee, but the game is set up different for combat. I fear years of pc fighting have me wacking the wrong keys, so i am also just trying to find a melle weapon and start fights with zombies to see how much of this is muscle memory issues. My character seems to get no pushback and i am thinking my methodmis all wrong. Im trying to keep a distance and sidestep swing as they charge...not my usual thing, but i have not figured out how to win all the time withiut taking damage

1 hour ago, Dr._Buzzkill said:

I wanted to add that the controls are very different to me. I always use a mouse4 thumb button for melee, but the game is set up different for combat. I fear years of pc fighting have me wacking the wrong keys, so i am also just trying to find a melle weapon and start fights with zombies to see how much of this is muscle memory issues. My character seems to get no pushback and i am thinking my methodmis all wrong. Im trying to keep a distance and sidestep swing as they charge...not my usual thing, but i have not figured out how to win all the time withiut taking damage

When zobs are running at you let them get to about 15 feet away and start backpedaling with your weapon of choice in hand. Hold the LMB key to block in a defensive stance. The zob will generally take 2 initial swipes at you. At that point stop backing up and start mashing your LMB while keeping your view generally up so you are striking around the head / neck. Don’t stop until they are dead.

Be mindful of drift since you will clip into the zombie and won’t be able to strike effectively. You’ll take the odd shot but overall I’ve found this is the best way to address a single zob. Mobs of zobs are a bit of a different story and occurrences of trying to melee with a group of zobs should be avoided.

Better to seek shelter. Get out of their line of sight once you’re in the building and don’t move... they’ll gradually de-Agro and go about their business in a couple minutes time. 

Edited by eno

On 4/10/2019 at 2:58 PM, Dr._Buzzkill said:

For your part, not all settings actions can solve all lag problems.
Much will depend on the quality of the server and its communication channel at the server.
I would be infinitely happy if I could see his FPS in the server's indicators, this is a plus to what we see - the number of players and ping.

1. Ping does not greatly affect your reaction. You can play with ping more than 170, on a good server that has a stable high FPS.
But everything changes significantly if the player plays on a weak server that has a low FPS. On this server, even ping 30 will not save you from the problems of any actions lagging behind.
I would be infinitely happy if, when choosing a server, I could see not only the ping, but also the server’s FPS value.

2. When a server has many players, more than 30 or so, its performance is subjected to greater load. This may also affect its total FPS.

Edited by lex__1

I went home and took everything off the router but this pc, put it in DMZ and nothing changed. I ping great online otherwise when I try speed tests around the USA. The highest was 80 on the west coast, lowest 11ms in NY.

I have a GTX 1070 so my technology, except for my gen one i7 cpu is newish. I only go on servers with low player count...nothing seems laggy except the zombies, but I have not even seen anyone except one guy who shot a newb on the beach...only saw him for a couple seconds before he killed me. Hope he liked the apple.

Edited by Dr._Buzzkill

1 hour ago, Dr._Buzzkill said:

Lex, anything I can add on to see fps on my screen. I have a GTX 1070 so my technology, except for my gen one i7 cpu is newish.

I am not talking about FPS on your PC. FPS of your PC is one story, FPS server is another story. But when you play on the server, the FPS server has an impact on your FPS and ping client. This is not the basis of all problems with ping, but some of the common problem that can be encountered while playing on a server that has a low FPS.
For example. I played in Arma3, from Ukraine on a private server in Seattle. My ping was 195-210. But I, and no one else, got any gaps in the game, since the server had a good broadband communication channel and was built on powerful hardware.
Without changing my settings and the number of players, I could connect to a public server with a ping of 30-50, and get a big lag in the game.

If you often get a lag in the game, you need to look for and try another server. You do not need to be afraid of a big ping, you have to try and see how it will be in the game.

I hope you do not use a proxy address for your IP? 🙂 This may be a sign of high ping.

Check it here, your IP and city should match the IP of your router and the city where you are connected to the Internet.

Edited by lex__1

When i am alone, LMB will swing the knife. When fighting a zomb, it seems not to always swing. Do i need to be holding down the RMB while fighting and just clicking LMB?  I definitely  can kill them, but sometimes they just don't want to die.

Seems I got it fixed.

I disabled the second nic I had installed months ago to trouble shoot a once a week crash issue that developed (That turned out I just can't keep the old i7 OC to 3.8Ghz anymore, nine years was all I can get, though now I have a SSD and more RAM, so maybe it was the new components that did't like the 181 FSB, but after lowering it to 3.6 it had been solid for months, so I decided to use the second nic for just DVRing). I don't really need the second nic, just unpluged it an put that into a switch and the pings in game went down to 137 range. 

During my research I found the dayz sa launcher and tried that and I find games in NJ with a 32 ping. 

Thanks all who helped. You can murder me as payback as I have a feeling I still have a ways to go before I am anywhere competitive, but I will have fun AND die trying.