Rekurv

Tweak night time length please.

Can we make night a bit shorter please? Making it 2 hours from 12 hours (or whatever) cycle was a great start, but i feel the ratio needs tweaking a bit. Maybe 2 parts day 1 part night (or something). Village server seems to do it well.

PS. The improvements made to night play recently are great! Very noticeable.

Edited by Rekurv
because zombies

It's up to the server owners to change how long day time lasts its just about finding the right server. I play on dayzdownunder and it is only 1 hr night to 2 hrs day which i think is a good amount.

I meant the official servers. They are all the same length of night I thought? It's sad to see so many official servers empty, yet some servers such as village are highly populated despite being practically vanilla. The big difference is the night length. And I agree, that 2:1 day/night ratio sounds pretty good.

PS. I guess the other big difference is people cant server hop for loot or ghosting on private servers which is awesome.

Edited by Rekurv

18 hours ago, Rekurv said:

PS. The improvements made to night play recently are great! Very noticeable.

"Improvements"

Yeah it is noticeable all right. Looks like crap, utter crap. It's like you have a magic and invisible blue chemlight over your head. Bright textures glow far too much, some of them even with colour, making it extremely unrealistic. If they are set on keeping this "night light" they will have to tweak it a lot. Range cannot be longer than arm's length (if you want to see more you need to be forced to use a light source), it has to be monochrome, and the radiance needs to be toned town to be just faintly visible. Walking inside a house at night now is like being in a fairground funhouse with UV lights all over the place. Utterly unnatural and ugly. And trees in the forests... ugh.

The improvement they need to do on night lighting is making the moon and stars provide ambient light at night, with shadows, so only on nights with heavy clouds will you get the ultra darkness.

As for the duration of nights I believe there are official servers with different acceleration, at least there used to be. Personally I think accelerated nights is bollocks, they are to be survived, not skipped. But for those who hate them and would rather just run and gun in daylight, there is a plethora of servers out there with short or nonexistent nights.

Yeh the lights can always do with a bit of improvement but the huge step was making it harder for gamma exploitation. That basically ruined all of night time play.

Of coarse the nights are to be survived, but there can be a point where it takes away from the game if you never see day. Before it was something like 12 hours lol. I guess its about finding that middle ground between forever pitch black and sunny days everyday.