HiroCheeseMuh1

New night cycle time!

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:25 AM, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Sorry I'm not buying it fellas. lol the internet has made me a cynical fool in that I don't believe people actually think sitting idle for half an hour doing jack shit is pleasurable ..lol maybe if you're camping in the high pop areas waiting for a freshy to wander by so you can snipe them but if you're not playing the game simply for the sake of PvP meaning you've ventured inland and I don't mean Tulga, there is no way I believe people are super stoked about doing nothing. 🤔🕵️‍♂️😏 

Don't sit around. Vision is bearable and it makes the experience a whole more tense. I guess when you starting getting a cold from the rain you will want that out too. Unless I am sorting my gear out I rarely sit around even in the dark.....

• Like 1

Agreed, no reason to stay put during the night, especially since they tweaked the darkness such that you at can at least see where you are going without any light. For those of us that happen to hate night ops as they are now, we can always take advantage of the fact that characters are not locked into specific servers. As such, we can just migrate over to another server that has daylight as needed. Hopefully the character locking problems will get sorted quick enough so that this isn't such a dangerous option though. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

5 hours ago, Skofield_Kid said:

Agreed, no reason to stay put during the night, especially since they tweaked the darkness such that you at can at least see where you are going without any light. For those of us that happen to hate night ops as they are now, we can always take advantage of the fact that characters are not locked into specific servers. As such, we can just migrate over to another server that has daylight as needed. Hopefully the character locking problems will get sorted quick enough so that this isn't such a dangerous option though. 

Started so well and then..... a bit of server hopping promotion if anyone needs some.....🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Enjoy the game to its fullest no matter what the time of day or the weather and live the life with the character..... pick a server stick with it and change when your character dies..... Accept that that you will be killed at some point and live the whole experience.....🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

I use the night to travel . .. the servers are usually low pop and travelling can be fast and dirty .  . with the new night light (I am on pc) and a potentially higher pop at night, I may have to change that.

On 3/30/2019 at 7:45 PM, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

It seems to me that they do have the same detection range day or night which makes travel about a 100 times more dangerous at night. 

I mean I get that the element of danger should be elevated to “some” degree at night but with the zombies new found aggression, sight lines and strength I think things have gone past  “realism” town to setting up shop in ridiculousville. ESPECIALLY at night which is why the length of the new night cycle is a bit too long. 

They have tweaked the zombie agro on the next pc update, so it won’t be long before Xbox has the same. Trust me, it much better. Zombies now run to the approximate area of your sound. So if you shoot, and move away, they won’t be able to find you. They no longer have built-I in raider and X-ray vision like before.

On 3/31/2019 at 10:42 PM, Cory Francis said:

I also think the night cycle is far to long.  Mainly I just hate the lack of detail in the night. There is alot of cool things to see in this game, and I cant see much if it when night time is like half an hour.

On a side note, I was unaware that the zombies got stronger at night. I was wondering why the sometimes the zombies took some many hits to kill lol

One of the coolest things to see in the game, is the lighting at night. Seriously, leave a lit flare in a house, and look at it from a distance. It looks magnificent. If you’re worried about being caught out with a light, get yourself a head torch, and hotbar the battery. This allows you to turn it off quickly, without removing it from your head. This works a treat on pc, not sure how well it will on Xbox, because I know you have a quick slot wheel, but worth a try?

Edited by ThePugman
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ZXDMCFCWoody007 said:

Started so well and then..... a bit of server hopping promotion if anyone needs some.....🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Enjoy the game to its fullest no matter what the time of day or the weather and live the life with the character..... pick a server stick with it and change when your character dies..... Accept that that you will be killed at some point and live the whole experience.....🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

Unfortunately changing servers is here to stay for public servers until they open up private locked ones for us to enjoy, so it isn't an issue of promotion, it is just a part of the game. After all, there are many legitimate reasons to change servers (bringing in friends to play with, avoiding an unresponsive / glitched server, etc). With that in mind, I have no issue with people choosing to do so in order to play in the environment they want (as opposed to doing so to just gear up or flank a player). I my opinion, I agree with you in that they would be missing out by skipping the night experience, but this is a sandbox game after all. My point is that folks who hate that experience are not forced to play it. Having a means to opt out for these players hopefully will keep the developers from further watering down the night time experience than it already is for the rest of us who enjoy it. To each their own. 

Edited by Skofield_Kid

59 minutes ago, Skofield_Kid said:

server hopping is here to stay for public servers until they open up private locked ones

no - it is not

It was solved on PC every tile a new hopping scam version turned up..  And next time (if) another new one turns up it will be solved as soon as the devs have it pinned down . On PC this is how it has been, and this is how it is.
Now there is a DIFFERENT technical problem for BI devs:
PC DayZ uses UDP on the standard internet network. (You can try to mess with the game but not with the network)   - But Xbox has it's own "private network". You can manipulate the  Xbox network to pull scams that are NOT possible on PC. It is a weakness of the Xbox private net setup.

DayZ will incorporate INTO THE DAYZ GAME; devices that prevent Xbox players from moving fast between servers. & prevent ways of dropping straight out of one game and into another, or coming back quickly to the same server.  These will be eliminated by IN-GAME countdowns & verification that make it NOT worthwhile to use the Xbox duping techniques.

You might say those ingame enforced BI software "rules" are a pain in the neck because you are not a duper - but if YOU want to eliminate dupers, that's the way to go.
Decide for yourselves the way you want to go.

Note : DayZ is not a game designed for you to have a quick game - drop in and play for five or 10 mins.. It is NOT one of THOSE games - Normally its a game you'll spend half an evening or more, continuous, on one server.  If you can't deal with that, then play something else. There are PLENTY of USA and ASIA mega-financed standard five-minute easy-to-play games around. There are NOT a lot of European games companies (of any size). There are about ZERO European MEGA games companies doing big-selling  "easy to join easy to play easy to leave, now buy the DLC, get bored, buy another game, Version VI, same game pay again" -  stuff.

you want a "real immersion game" or "cheap fast fun" ?

I say this because a SERIOUSLY longer log out timer is part of the answer  (Hey! - Can you <kids>  wait ONE minute to log out .. 60 seconds? Is that a real LONG time? Can't stand that?) -  it will TEACH you to find a GOOD safe place to log out in this DANGEROUS SURVIVAL GAME - and wow  IMAGINE  if you are trapped in a building you'll just have to fight it out or surrender or make a break.. like IRL ! .. is that BAD?  .. You want "immersion" ?

And add a REAL login timer (just enough time to check the central hive)
THESE - together with one or two other automatic player overview ingame checks - will reduce access to Xbox duping a lot. Cut off the dupers from their means of duping.

Why check the central hive when you log in?

OK ..

For instance, if every mil equipment - or let's just start with guns - If each one had a unique SERIAL NUMBER when it was generated (spawned)  - AND all Xbox players are on the public hive, so all those serial numbers are stored in ONE location (the same duped weapon can't be stored twice on different "private hives" because Xbox don't have any) .. and technically  a serial number is only a couple of bytes added to the weapon spawn description, it takes no server time to run a check of all your weapons when you log in.  They are all in one database.  So spotting duplicated serial numbers is EASY. 

If you dupe a weaponn it has the same serial number as another weapon already registered on the same public hive.. and both guns are taken out of play - they despawn. End of story.

Deal with that, dupers.

Edited by pilgrim*
I'm working on it .. but the devs are REALLLY working on it
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

The night time is challenging the way it should be!  i guess it takes different perspectives on game play tho, if you want to wait around until dawn that is an option for you, but there are plenty of tools to help combat the darkness should you choose to use them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xxxD1RTD1VRxxx said:

The night time is challenging the way it should be!  i guess it takes different perspectives on game play tho, if you want to wait around until dawn that is an option for you, but there are plenty of tools to help combat the darkness should you choose to use them.

All true. I might even go as far to say that I wouldn't mind it if it was a bit darker as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Skofield_Kid said:

All true. I might even go as far to say that I wouldn't mind it if it was a bit darker as well. 

Spot on - Darker outside of towns with a bit more light in them just enough so you can get around. I have slowed my game right down since the Infected awareness increase so have no issues. I think a lot has to do with those that think they can run in, loot up and run off again. There's a lot more watching time required to survive in DAYZ than a lot of people realise and increased night and darkness can help.

I've just had a great time looting up in zelenogorsk at night. Just flicking the torch on occasionally when I could hear zombies nearby. Just enough moonlight to see where you're going. I was so immersed, creeping around, stopping to listen. Then got a panic on when dawn broke, making a dash back to the forest. Whole new game with nighttime back in properly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

I've just had a great time looting up in zelenogorsk at night. Just flicking the torch on occasionally when I could hear zombies nearby. Just enough moonlight to see where you're going. I was so immersed, creeping around, stopping to listen. Then got a panic on when dawn broke, making a dash back to the forest. Whole new game with nighttime back in properly. 

It's making the game even more immersive than before - loving the twilight look

• Like 1

Ok so I gave it a few days to try to sort of adjust my game play and while I’m not as in love with the night cycle as some of you seem to be I will say that It isn’t as much of a problem as I was making it out to be. I do still think it’s a little too long but it’s bearable and it does add a new level of creepyness to the game that maybe I was missing the point of. I’ve always played the game more as a disaster survival game with zombies added in it but now I realize that it’s become more of a zombie game with disaster survival added in which meant I’ve had to play a whole other way than I’m used to. So I concede that the night cycle isn’t as bad as I was making it out to be but I maintain that it needs to be shortened just a smidge. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Ok so I gave it a few days to try to sort of adjust my game play and while I’m not as in love with the night cycle as some of you seem to be I will say that It isn’t as much of a problem as I was making it out to be. I do still think it’s a little too long but it’s bearable and it does add a new level of creepyness to the game that maybe I was missing the point of. I’ve always played the game more as a disaster survival game with zombies added in it but now I realize that it’s become more of a zombie game with disaster survival added in which meant I’ve had to play a whole other way than I’m used to. So I concede that the night cycle isn’t as bad as I was making it out to be but I maintain that it needs to be shortened just a smidge. 

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the sunshine! I've nearly died (and have died) to zombies so often at night, especially since they've been going to the gym. But I'm having some really interesting experiences at night and my game play completely changes at dusk. I move so cautiously and plan which building I'm moving to next. I've also just built my first car today and had great fun driving it along the coast at night with the rain lashing down. Also took some fire from some twit at the far south west Mill tents. I was bleeding badly but had to keep driving. Pulled over and managed to bandage. Heart was racing and the night time storm really added to the drama. 

I also like the fact that a lot of game mechanics are now working, such as the heat packs. I was freezing and shaking after  being caught on the rain and the heat pack really worked well. Having weather and day/night cycle back had really influenced the way I play now. Feels more like an adventure. 

Night is definitely tough, but very rewarding after a successful night time loot run in a dodgy area! 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

........... if every mil equipment - or let's just start with guns - If each one had a unique SERIAL NUMBER when it was generated (spawned)  - AND all Xbox players are on the public hive, so all those serial numbers are stored in ONE location (the same duped weapon can't be stored twice on different "private hives" because Xbox don't have any) .. and technically  a serial number is only a couple of bytes added to the weapon spawn description, it takes no server time to run a check of all your weapons when you log in.  They are all in one database.  So spotting duplicated serial numbers is EASY. 

If you dupe a weaponn it has the same serial number as another weapon already registered on the same public hive.. and both guns are taken out of play - they despawn. End of story.

Deal with that, dupers.

Great.....serialize ALL our weapons, what next, start limiting magazine capacities? Background check when we find loot?  Lets just post "This is a gun free zombie zone" signs everywhere, that should stop people from doing wrong. 

If we do not stand vigilant in protecting our apocalypse arms rights we shall soon be losing them all!!🤣

night cycles should be taken advantage of.   Loot high-risk areas knowing that visibility is limited, less chance of being picked off... zombies are freaky at night tho...

8 hours ago, john garcia said:

Great.....serialize ALL our weapons, what next, start limiting magazine capacities? Background check when we find loot?  Lets just post "This is a gun free zombie zone" signs everywhere, that should stop people from doing wrong. 

If we do not stand vigilant in protecting our apocalypse arms rights we shall soon be losing them all!!🤣

is this another Troll, please ? I was speaking as a programmer and technical author who has worked on game development with a number of European games companies.

I have a feeling John was joking with you because 99% of that post was off the topic posed by the OP. 

Edited by Skofield_Kid

Some players enjoy the DayZ night time scenario others don't.  Nothing wrong with either preference.

Maybe a simple icon in the server list next to each server number to signal day or night time cycle could give each player the choice.

• Beans 1

10 hours ago, Lexman61 said:

Some players enjoy the DayZ night time scenario others don't.  Nothing wrong with either preference.

Maybe a simple icon in the server list next to each server number to signal day or night time cycle could give each player the choice.

This would be a nice extra feature.  As it is, you can usually bet on servers with lower counts in the prime time gaming hours  running at night as some folks migrate away  and sundown, this would be a good way to confirm. 

On 4/3/2019 at 6:16 PM, pilgrim* said:

is this another Troll, please ? I was speaking as a programmer and technical author who has worked on game development with a number of European games companies.

Hey sorry if I upset you. Was just kidding, the whole serializing guns and all reminded me of gun control debates. If I offended my bad, and definitely not trolling.

And now to be on topic, I personally make myself stay on nighttime server if such when I log on. Most times there are no other players so heavy concentration on avoiding the zeds and the prospect of decent loot because the server gets empty.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

6 hours ago, john garcia said:

Hey sorry if I upset you. Was just kidding, the whole serializing guns and all reminded me of gun control debates. If I offended my bad, and definitely not trolling.

And now to be on topic, I personally make myself stay on nighttime server if such when I log on. Most times there are no other players so heavy concentration on avoiding the zeds and the prospect of decent loot because the server gets empty.

No prob .. [I just got sanctioned for being evil & snappy half an hour earlier, so I was feeling uptight with bl00dy ****heads ]
BI cant mess with the Xbox networK - however cr@p it is - but they CAN mess with their own game as MUCH as they like.. I think the standard xbox net dupe trick can be solved from inside the game.

A serial number is VERY EASY to add to a spawn - it would be the server IP plus a locally sequential number,  (to avoid all servers having to contact each other every time they spawned a weapon)  - on Xbox these are ALL stored in one DBase - the universal Xbox public hive - so they would be trivial to police.  Every week (whatever, as required)  the redundant despawned serials can be cleaned up, re-sequenced)  and a new series started from that point.

Real weapons in the real world have Serial Numbers  as I guess you know;  Not a thing that worries me.  This is a form of manufacturer/legal control, as most everything have serial numbers IRL - cars, cans,  chocolate bars, parachutes,  weapons (even games)

But funny you should mention gun control - [I'm in favor] - as I just spent two entire full 14-hour days conditioning & recharging .308 cartridges (3 diff brands)  with different loads
       and diff powders  (and diff bullet seating depths) and yesterday was firing them off and making notes on the targets - I measured every one of those b'stard loads individually
       one-by-one  by hand, exacty. Today I'm supposed to be working out the results..
       but maybe I'll take a break & go play DayZ instead.
      Or we had a late strong snowfall unexpected  last night so I'll go up in the real woods see what's happening .. I live at 600m - jeez, there were lizards out getting the sun yesterday noon, now there's 5 inches of snow.
      Serial numbers is just a thing that exists - climate change is REAL and needs sorting or we all Dead

The nighttime "tree glow" seems OK to me . Other objects don't show, this makes it risky around rocks & uneven ground etc (which nighttime should be).. all fine to me for navigating in semi known wilderness. Don't know what effect a face to face with another player produces yet.  That could be interesting.

I DO think zombie detection (sight) should be reduced in darkness. They are not supposed to have BETTER eyesight that non-infected.