HiroCheeseMuh1

New night cycle time!

Ok now that everyone has had a chance (I assume) to play through a full day/night cycle can we all agree that yes pre-update nighttime was too dark and too short but can we also now agree that the new night cycle is now too long? Especially with the voracity of the zombies making night travel extremely difficult unless running through the forest that you can now see but not very well? I mean I like the full emersion thing as much as the next guy but if I wanted to sit idle for super lonnnnnng periods of time I'd play Persona 5 or Final Fantasy not DayZ.

I'm not saying turn it back to what it was but since the update I've spent more time sitting in some structure waiting for morning than I have actually exploring and looting...Just shrink the cycle a little so that idle time doesn't turn into "should I just turn this shit off and play something else?" time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally, I think they nailed it. Feels just right.

• Like 5
  • Beans 3

It couldn't be more perfect!

Edited by nikoor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

Is this a case of “let’s just be contrarian” or do you honestly feel like sitting idle for that long “couldn’t be more perfect?” 

Because I know how people can be sometimes. They’ll say the opposite of anything you say just to be oppositional. If that’s how you guys feel then cool I guess it’s just me who actually likes doing something in a game I’m playing 🤷🏻‍♂️😜

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nayte said:

Personally, I think they nailed it. Feels just right.

30 minutes ago, nikoor said:

It couldn't be more perfect!

9 minutes ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Yeah, I feel its about right. 

• Haha 1

Ooh! Quote me next!

I think nighttime should be long. It should also be feared. something to prepare for. Your either prepared or you end up stumbling around in the dark with a flare in your hand, freezing and starving to death while everyone who actually got prepared are lining up their shot and getting ready to pull the trigger. It's a bitch ain't' it? 

But in all seriousness it should be. even if you're prepared. it's hard to navigate, The tools that make it easier to see also give away your position, firing your gun gives off light. it's challenging 

It's just something that makes it equally harder for everyone. And in a game that pairs fresh spawns up against fully armed soldiers. I think that's pretty good balancing, a man with a spear can sneak up on geared up player much easier. especially if they're used playing in the dark.

Just give nighttime a chance. for the longest time we've only had 5 minutes of it. If i remember correctly servers on PC used to be linked to a timezone so when its nighttime IRL in your timezone it would be nighttime in DayZ.

Edited by PEACE_543
The Winds of Shit
  • Like 2
  • Beans 2

Sorry I'm not buying it fellas. lol the internet has made me a cynical fool in that I don't believe people actually think sitting idle for half an hour doing jack shit is pleasurable ..lol maybe if you're camping in the high pop areas waiting for a freshy to wander by so you can snipe them but if you're not playing the game simply for the sake of PvP meaning you've ventured inland and I don't mean Tulga, there is no way I believe people are super stoked about doing nothing. 🤔🕵️‍♂️😏 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

48 minutes ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Sorry I'm not buying it fellas. lol the internet has made me a cynical fool in that I don't believe people actually think sitting idle for half an hour doing jack shit is pleasurable ..lol maybe if you're camping in the high pop areas waiting for a freshy to wander by so you can snipe them but if you're not playing the game simply for the sake of PvP meaning you've ventured inland and I don't mean Tulga, there is no way I believe people are super stoked about doing nothing. 🤔🕵️‍♂️😏 

Who's sitting idle? You can see enough to travel around, just. But yeah, being anywhere near zombies at night is dangerous. You definitely need a torch now. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

Is this a case of “let’s just be contrarian” or do you honestly feel like sitting idle for that long “couldn’t be more perfect?” 

Because I know how people can be sometimes. They’ll say the opposite of anything you say just to be oppositional. If that’s how you guys feel then cool I guess it’s just me who actually likes doing something in a game I’m playing 🤷🏻‍♂️😜

I mean, sure you can sit idle if that’s your thing. 

There’re many different ways to navigate through the darkness, which in no where near as dark as it used to be.

*Thinks about the endless rainy pitch black nights and shivers..*

It’s pretty easy using the moonlight alone, paired with the white background of the compass. The glow sticks last well through the night. Torches and flares work ok. Flashlights as well as the weapon variants are killer. Nothing like walking through a dark town clearing buildings with the rifle light attachment.

As far as being contrarian for the sake of it, you won’t find that from me. I speak my mind, whether it’s favorable is subjective.

• Like 2
  • Beans 3

I've said 6 hour daylight and 1 hour night for the past 3 months. 

IMO that would be perfect. 

• Beans 1

7 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

You're just wrong about having to sit idle. Find a flashlight... They just added rifle and pistol flashlights, havn't had a chance to try them out yet but they are now in game. You can make a torch, use a flare, find some glowsticks... Really you are the only one limiting yourself by sitting in a corner and waiting out the night. You scared breh?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

the internet has made me a cynical fool

- but DayZ and a head torch could make you a nightime looter

• Beans 1

Personallly I like the new night time and I feel more comfortable looting and navigating in the dark. Less chance to be seen by players. Zombies are easy to deal with, stay low and slow, know your surroundings and have plan in the event things go south. Dont worry about noise. Shoot zombiest dead, when clear, move and take new position or get out of area if can. Leave or survey area for anyone coming in and deal with it how you see fit.  I have been playing since realise on xbox and spent most of my time learning the map and towns rather than pvp and kill freshy's on the coast and clearly it has helped based off the comments people have been posting and players I have sent to the coast. I have learned where people tend to go, server hop, and camp so I avoid those areas or set up to survey and ambush them if see fit. I take my time and listen for others. Little more tricky now with having to wear shoes but it puts others at same disadvantage. 

Best advise i got was you cannot be afraid to die and loose what you have.

It's just a game and you can get it all back. Stop worrying about dying, get busy killing or get busy dying and gaining experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, McPhorce said:

You're just wrong about having to sit idle. Find a flashlight... They just added rifle and pistol flashlights, havn't had a chance to try them out yet but they are now in game. You can make a torch, use a flare, find some glowsticks... Really you are the only one limiting yourself by sitting in a corner and waiting out the night. You scared breh?

2 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

- but DayZ and a head torch could make you a nightime looter

I have ventured out for the record. I have looted during the night I don’t have a problem with there being a night cycle what I have a problem with due mostly to the zombies being at almost super saiyan power levels and swarming like bees with a Jason Vorhees persistence not to mention they’ve gotten faster. All of which makes night travel more nerve wracking. I will say though that hunting boar and elk is much more satisfying at night. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

I have ventured out for the record. I have looted during the night I don’t have a problem with there being a night cycle what I have a problem with due mostly to the zombies being at almost super saiyan power levels and swarming like bees with a Jason Vorhees persistence not to mention they’ve gotten faster. All of which makes night travel more nerve wracking.

That's true.
- It seems to me the infected can detect a player (they can SEE you)  just as far away at night as in the day. This means that when I'm crouched stealthing in the day, I can SEE the zomb and tell just about what distance they will detect me (I see they kind of hesitate when I'm just inside their limit, and I can pretty often  back away out of their range, if I want to)  - but at night I OFTEN can't see that far - so THEY detect me before they are inside MY visual range..
I might be wrong about this CONSTANT detection range  - but that's how it seems to me, after experimenting -  they have the same detection distance day or night - it's ONLY ME that has a crap short detection distance at night. THEY can see just fine.

In the old DayZ vanilla Mod for PC, you could CRAWL past an infected only about 7-10 feet away, and they often would often not notice you.
THAT was great..

So am I wrong about this - or do the zombs really have the same detection range day or night ?

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

4 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

That's true.
- It seems to me the infected can detect a player (they can SEE you)  just as far away at night as in the day. This means that when I'm crouched stealthing in the day, I can SEE the zomb and tell just about what distance they will detect me (I see they kind of hesitate when I'm just inside their limit, and I can pretty often  back away out of their range, if I want to)  - but at night I OFTEN can't see that far - so THEY detect me before they are inside MY visual range..
I might be wrong about this CONSTANT detection range  - but that's how it seems to me, after experimenting -  they have the same detection distance day or night - it's ONLY ME that has a crap short detection distance at night. THEY can see just fine.

In the old DayZ vanilla Mod for PC, you could CRAWL past an infected only about 7-10 feet away, and they often would often not notice you.
THAT was great..

So am I wrong about this - or do the zombs really have the same detection range day or night ?

It seems to me that they do have the same detection range day or night which makes travel about a 100 times more dangerous at night. 

I mean I get that the element of danger should be elevated to “some” degree at night but with the zombies new found aggression, sight lines and strength I think things have gone past  “realism” town to setting up shop in ridiculousville. ESPECIALLY at night which is why the length of the new night cycle is a bit too long. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HiroCheeseMuh1 said:

It seems to me that they do have the same detection range day or night which makes travel about a 100 times more dangerous at night. 

I mean I get that the element of danger should be elevated to “some” degree at night but with the zombies new found aggression, sight lines and strength I think things have gone past  “realism” town to setting up shop in ridiculousville. ESPECIALLY at night which is why the length of the new night cycle is a bit too long. 

Realism? This is a zombie apocalypse game right? 

• Beans 2

I think the night time is just right, I try to loot at night also, that's quite challenging. 

With regards to the z sensitivity, in a way I really like that they are like this currently, because in a way players would value the ammo/gear they have looted, second guessing taking the shot on another player in the field etc... 

Also with the z's like this, some players would resort to rather hunting, growing food etc... And only basically going into town if certain items are required like ammo, nails etc... 😁

• Like 1

I also think the night cycle is far to long.  Mainly I just hate the lack of detail in the night. There is alot of cool things to see in this game, and I cant see much if it when night time is like half an hour.

On a side note, I was unaware that the zombies got stronger at night. I was wondering why the sometimes the zombies took some many hits to kill lol

i was looting north part of the airfield during night time with a flashlight and it was creepy as F*,  i love it. And rain too. They did a a great job with it. night time is fine.Yes day time could be a little longer i guess.

Edited by MaximusDickus