0.64 Freerider

PLEASE reverse the NEW "Client Side Personal Night Light"

Artificial "Personal Night Light"  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say?

• Keep it.
    • Lose it.
    • Keep, but modify it. (Feel free to tell us your vision in the comments)

1 hour ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

SPAWN. WITH. FLASHLIGHT...PROBLEM SOLVED

We spawn with a light source.  Problem not solved.  In the end it doesn't matter. The same complainers will still log off at night until they are able to spot some at 100 yards in pitch black.  It's funny, we get people clammeri g for the guns to be ultra realistic but the moment it gets a little dark out they cry like a bunch of babies

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1

Most people I've talked with, through meeting in game on public servers think this "personal magic lamp" is an improvement over the previous total black of night.

It's not my favorite feature. But my opinion of it has changed as I've talked to people with far less experienced than me in this game.

Edited by Influence_X

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

We spawn with a light source.  Problem not solved.  In the end it doesn't matter. The same complainers will still log off at night until they are able to spot some at 100 yards in pitch black.  It's funny, we get people clammeri g for the guns to be ultra realistic but the moment it gets a little dark out they cry like a bunch of babies

Well issue with the flare is, it runs out after some time, which for most noobs might not be enough time to find their way to a longer lasting light source. So I really see no reason how the flashlight wouldn't solve the issue.

I've been suggesting this kind of feature multiple times over the years and it looks decent. Less radius would be optimal. Just really need to see 1-2m away so you're not running against wall etc. without knowing that you do it. So my answer should be pretty clear on this 😉

Haven't yet tested this myself. I'm bit surprised about the poll result 😮

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Beans 1

maybe the best option would be to bound personal light to walking,crouch and prone...when jogging or sprinting,there would be no personal light.
also just a little bit reduce lights distance and add "fade in/fade out" effect between lights on/off.

it would be like you are concentrate your surroundings when moving slow.
with this,there would be something for both parties.
lights "fade out" should should be quiete quick and "fade in" quite slow.

so when jogging in darkness and then just stop,it would take approx 30 secs to personal light to active.

10 hours ago, kopo79 said:

maybe the best option would be to bound personal light to walking,crouch and prone...when jogging or sprinting,there would be no personal light.
also just a little bit reduce lights distance and add "fade in/fade out" effect between lights on/off.

it would be like you are concentrate your surroundings when moving slow.
with this,there would be something for both parties.
lights "fade out" should should be quiete quick and "fade in" quite slow.

so when jogging in darkness and then just stop,it would take approx 30 secs to personal light to active.

The problem is that this would make it even more "in your face" that there's an "artificial" light source attached to you.

Got a flashlight and just logged off the amount of time of nighttime is boring at best.

Play for 1 hr, search for another server and volla log off.

This is a good topic because its just way to dark and these infected are not exactly scary at all, the worst part is just falling off a small rock and breaking your leg.

Thanks guys, for the gamma exploit fix, it actually was a good tool. Now you have NVG hunters and also cheats to bypass it. Not the best solution.

6 hours ago, sneakydude said:

Got a flashlight and just logged off the amount of time of nighttime is boring at best.

Play for 1 hr, search for another server and volla log off.

This is a good topic because its just way to dark and these infected are not exactly scary at all, the worst part is just falling off a small rock and breaking your leg.

Thanks guys, for the gamma exploit fix, it actually was a good tool. Now you have NVG hunters and also cheats to bypass it. Not the best solution.

I would advise you to search for a nice community server you like. There are alot running the game pretty much vanilla but with custom length on night and daytime. The one I frequent, has about 30 minutes of nighttime and 2-3 hrs, I believe, of daytime. It's also Private Hive which gets rid off the nasty server hopping issue.

I very much wonder how you broke your leg though, because fractures are currently not in the game. Perhaps you are travelling to us from a different time?

Sad to hear that there are cheats to bypass the gamma exploit fix. Maybe you can point the devs to it, in the unlikely case it's not on their radar yet.

Edited by 0.64 Freerider

15 hours ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

I would advise you to search for a nice community server you like. There are alot running the game pretty much vanilla but with custom length on night and daytime. The one I frequent, has about 30 minutes of nighttime and 2-3 hrs, I believe, of daytime. It's also Private Hive which gets rid off the nasty server hopping issue.

I very much wonder how you broke your leg though, because fractures are currently not in the game. Perhaps you are travelling to us from a different time?

Sad to hear that there are cheats to bypass the gamma exploit fix. Maybe you can point the devs to it, in the unlikely case it's not on their radar yet.

Nope i refuse to test it, its up to them to fix it. Someone posted a speed hack too. I have too many hours in the game to test anymore (pretty much thrown out by the devs). Breaking leg was a joke because of the dark. I am a passive aggressive person, because i get shit done. When i see stupid things added to a game that used to be pretty good, i complain. Like i said i am a passive Aggressive person, that gets shit done. I did find one private server that the night time is pretty much 0 which is ok.

Why is this topic even active anymore? There's now a server side setting that lets server owners decide if they want the light or not.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:43 AM, BetterDeadThanZed said:

Why is this topic even active anymore? There's now a server side setting that lets server owners decide if they want the light or not.

Because not everyone plays community servers and people want the DayZ that was advertised from the very beginning.  The gritty hardcore post-apocalyptic survival horror mmo.  Instead we've got Army Guy Hero with a couple of vehicles

• Beans 3

Chiming in here, I disabled the personal night light on my servers, its fake and rubbish imo, to me it feels like someone is trying to dress up a turd (which is the terrible speckley night we now have) to make it look good but a turd is still a turd no matter how you dress it and how much cologne is used,  I can see in the night irl and it dont look like this, They have made it look like someones rod and cone cells in their eyes are having a epileptic fit and producing this (static) of colored light speckles, Real mimicry of rod and cone cells function would have it almost how it used to be but without the grey scale (so adding color back) and using the moon, stars and our own in game sight for illumination to achieve a smooth dark ambiance using all these variables of light sources and our sight to (adjust) to a point of being able to see things but not in their entirety and clarity. Long story short, rid the night light, rid the color speckles (anti-gamma), bring back realistic light sources eg, moonlight, starlight and make it so nobody can abuse this by adjusting gamma but without the static speckles please, and the night will be loved once again, Ive said this before but I used to spend hours in the night on servers with no light sources other than the moon sometimes and the starlight if its not cloudy, I would only use lights to thoroughly search some areas that I could not see without the light, be it town signs, maps, or cracks and crannys in dark houses etc.

• Beans 1

8 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Chiming in here, I disabled the personal night light on my servers, its fake and rubbish imo, to me it feels like someone is trying to dress up a turd (which is the terrible speckley night we now have) to make it look good but a turd is still a turd no matter how you dress it and how much cologne is used,  I can see in the night irl and it dont look like this, They have made it look like someones rod and cone cells in their eyes are having a epileptic fit and producing this (static) of colored light speckles, Real mimicry of rod and cone cells function would have it almost how it used to be but without the grey scale (so adding color back) and using the moon, stars and our own in game sight for illumination to achieve a smooth dark ambiance using all these variables of light sources and our sight to (adjust) to a point of being able to see things but not in their entirety and clarity. Long story short, rid the night light, rid the color speckles (anti-gamma), bring back realistic light sources eg, moonlight, starlight and make it so nobody can abuse this by adjusting gamma but without the static speckles please, and the night will be loved once again, Ive said this before but I used to spend hours in the night on servers with no light sources other than the moon sometimes and the starlight if its not cloudy, I would only use lights to thoroughly search some areas that I could not see without the light, be it town signs, maps, or cracks and crannys in dark houses etc.

I do agree it is a turd fix... but i did find a private server that turned it almost off. Its fitting as there is only wilderness in the dark. Sitting inside a building with 1 flashlight floating around in a town so everyone can rush to the person and KOS him seems pointless. I am still trying to figure out where the survival is? basebuilding i am hearing is bugged. But i thought this was released? where is the fix by now. Vehicles ran better in older versions, mods seem to be correcting the bugs so far.

11 hours ago, sneakydude said:

I do agree it is a turd fix... but i did find a private server that turned it almost off. Its fitting as there is only wilderness in the dark. Sitting inside a building with 1 flashlight floating around in a town so everyone can rush to the person and KOS him seems pointless. I am still trying to figure out where the survival is? basebuilding i am hearing is bugged. But i thought this was released? where is the fix by now. Vehicles ran better in older versions, mods seem to be correcting the bugs so far.

Basebuilding works to some extent but locking gates is FUBAR atm, Devs need to add a better building system thats modular like proper floors and variety of roofing styles and walls,( I have made a 7x9 watchtower complex and it looks crap with the stairway holes inside)  mods have done it better but the modders make the devs look like friking noobs,  honestly its sadly laughable, Survival is bandaided with unrealistic encumbrance, stamina robbing attributes and no vicious roaming zombified animals as one would expect in a ZOMBIE VIRUS apocalypse, wolves perhaps would be the first to be zombified being apex predators especially in towns or city areas, but thats where wild dogs should come in, some zombied some normal but hungry, I doubt everyone had a pet chicken, goat, pig or cow in Chernarus as they are common here, adding these things will make the survival aspect realistic then it currently is, I bloody love the darkness, but hate what the devs have molested it into, they need to stop farking about and do shit right, or is this just a call to another team replacement?, I say if that be the case, get rid of the longest tenure dev employees first as that maybe the weak link there and see what new command can do in terms of do it now, do it right, and fix fuckups quick with the fresh blood devs so they have a fighting chance at least. To me it seems the upper ranks in the dev team are not sending the right commands out, If they are well you got me fucked for whats wrong with it all.

16 hours ago, ICEMAN-FMCS said:

Basebuilding works to some extent but locking gates is FUBAR atm, Devs need to add a better building system thats modular like proper floors and variety of roofing styles and walls,( I have made a 7x9 watchtower complex and it looks crap with the stairway holes inside)  mods have done it better but the modders make the devs look like friking noobs,  honestly its sadly laughable, Survival is bandaided with unrealistic encumbrance, stamina robbing attributes and no vicious roaming zombified animals as one would expect in a ZOMBIE VIRUS apocalypse, wolves perhaps would be the first to be zombified being apex predators especially in towns or city areas, but thats where wild dogs should come in, some zombied some normal but hungry, I doubt everyone had a pet chicken, goat, pig or cow in Chernarus as they are common here, adding these things will make the survival aspect realistic then it currently is, I bloody love the darkness, but hate what the devs have molested it into, they need to stop farking about and do shit right, or is this just a call to another team replacement?, I say if that be the case, get rid of the longest tenure dev employees first as that maybe the weak link there and see what new command can do in terms of do it now, do it right, and fix fuckups quick with the fresh blood devs so they have a fighting chance at least. To me it seems the upper ranks in the dev team are not sending the right commands out, If they are well you got me fucked for whats wrong with it all.

Maybe because 2 years ago they didn't listen to look over the Arma 3 EM, and Exile Base building mods? OH no, they gotta screw it up themselves.

I just about died laughing at how stupid it is to bury items, start building a base, all with a full kit of equipment on you. YOU just cant... put a bag down, cant trust it will stay on the ground. Cant put a base together or start it because you cant trust any bugs not destroying your game.

And you pretty much need 2 accounts to semi store items? what gives devs, this base building is shit...

Mindcraft is better..

Bohemia probably implemented this for the upcoming PS4 launch. Imagine buying the game, waiting for it to download then joining a pitch black night server without an intro to the game lol They're never gonna take it away, only thing they can do is give the option to turn it off for server owners.

Appears we have just recieved some news on this front with two of the most recent exp patch notes standing out:

35 minutes ago, Greensek said:

Tweaked: Decreased range of the night light, and changed its colour, position and brightness for better immersion

Added: Ability to choose between bright and dark nights through a server config parameter lightingConfig (0 for bright, 1 for dark)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

Appears we have just recieved some news on this front with two of the most recent exp patch notes standing out:

Ok, after some testing I can say, that the night is super dark now. The night light is at this point almost non-existent [est. range about ~1m]. You cannot see the other end of a room without a light source, which is crucial to hiding at night. Great job by the devs in this regard, virtually rolling back the change and adjusting the lighting config to be even harder, instead of fully catering to a more casual and unknowing group of players. There is still the option to have a "bright night" as you can see, which I have not personally looked at, but I'm sure will please those who want enjoy a nighttime setting without the "hardcoreness" that comes with it naturally.

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

Ok, after some testing I can say, that the night is super dark now. The night light is at this point almost non-existent [est. range about ~1m]. You cannot see the other end of a room without a light source, which is crucial to hiding at night. Great job by the devs in this regard, virtually rolling back the change and adjusting the lighting config to be even harder, instead of fully catering to a more casual and unknowing group of players. There is still the option to have a "bright night" as you can see, which I have not personally looked at, but I'm sure will please those who want enjoy a nighttime setting without the "hardcoreness" that comes with it naturally.

Wow! Props to the devs actually.

God I hate this immersion killing feature. Why even spawn with light flare, when not even needing it? 

People complained that they couldnt see at night, why didnt they just use the flare or flashlight? One thing i loved about night was the thrill off sneaking at night and flash my light when looting as little as possible to not get spotted and it felt really scary not knowing if someone saw my use of light.. Now its fucking boring with this magic light we have, feel like I been radiated by Tsjernobyl glowing like a got damn walking radioaktive lamp, god!!! 

Now night is the safest time because you can loot without anyone spotting you, feels like cheating.. 

Edited by Kaboki
  • Beans 2

Server admins can change the setting. 

We tested the "bright night" on our server and it really is bright, even brighter than a moonlit night in .62. This may ease it for some, still the night should behave realistically and the light should change depending on the moon and clouds. If people do not want to play at night, they can pretend they are at sleep or whatever. There is still stuff to do, even if you're at one spot the whole night. Also, time should be at normal speed on official servers.