0.64 Freerider

PLEASE reverse the NEW "Client Side Personal Night Light"

Artificial "Personal Night Light"  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say?

• Keep it.
    • Lose it.
    • Keep, but modify it. (Feel free to tell us your vision in the comments)

1 hour ago, Black G-Sus said:

The dynamic weather system should control illumination at nights. 

#MDGA ^^

You mean like moonlight, clouds, fog and rain?

11 hours ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

You mean like moonlight, clouds, fog and rain?

Yes. And month of the year.

• Beans 1

It's been a while since I last posted in the forums, but this magical light brought me back. Please get rid of it, or at least nerf it's effectiveness. Iterate on it by cutting brightness in half for example.

Also, within 30 min playing time, I've changed all my clothing to 'good enough' gear, and I'm passing up cans of food because my backpack can't hold any more. Most coming from zeds I've beaten to death with my bare hands. I don't remember which patch it was, but it was deemed 'too hard' and there was a 50/50 chance of surviving long enough to reach a stable situation. That patch was amazing. It felt dramatic, and the clock ticking away as I frantically looked for the means of survival seem now to be gone in this latest version. I love DayZ, I will continue to play it, and I don't care about more guns, as I've only killed ~4 people in 500hrs of playing.

I just want my hardcore survival DayZ back. But, I understand why the game play settings are the way they are now. My server pref for 'Vanilla/1st Person/Low Loot/No Traders/Just Survive' usually returns little to no players ATM. Makes me sad knowing that I have even less a chance to run into another human being to interact with.

I'm not familiar with how servers work, but is it possible to have 75% day/25% night in one day cycle? Maybe more players would stick around for night time play if they knew it would pass sooner?

Just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

On 3/28/2019 at 3:28 AM, -Gews- said:

This is a perfectly playable darkness under the old full moon, open field (also note how it's the original ARMA greyscale night, compare to the the crappy-looking, unrealistic saturated-colours night that replaced it). You could even go a lot darker and remain playing no problem.

I do miss those atmospheric as hell greyscale nights with the constant wind noise.

• Beans 1

11 hours ago, r8gato said:

It's been a while since I last posted in the forums, but this magical light brought me back. Please get rid of it, or at least nerf it's effectiveness. Iterate on it by cutting brightness in half for example.

Also, within 30 min playing time, I've changed all my clothing to 'good enough' gear, and I'm passing up cans of food because my backpack can't hold any more. Most coming from zeds I've beaten to death with my bare hands. I don't remember which patch it was, but it was deemed 'too hard' and there was a 50/50 chance of surviving long enough to reach a stable situation. That patch was amazing. It felt dramatic, and the clock ticking away as I frantically looked for the means of survival seem now to be gone in this latest version. I love DayZ, I will continue to play it, and I don't care about more guns, as I've only killed ~4 people in 500hrs of playing.

I just want my hardcore survival DayZ back. But, I understand why the game play settings are the way they are now. My server pref for 'Vanilla/1st Person/Low Loot/No Traders/Just Survive' usually returns little to no players ATM. Makes me sad knowing that I have even less a chance to run into another human being to interact with.

I'm not familiar with how servers work, but is it possible to have 75% day/25% night in one day cycle? Maybe more players would stick around for night time play if they knew it would pass sooner?

Just my 2 cents.

Hi, I feel the exact same way about the game as you do. I've noticed the issue with way too much food being around as well and hence made another post for it, where you can VOTE as well:

The different length for Day/Night are definately possible as I've seen it in effect on some servers. I think 75/25 or something around that mark is a very good balance, because IRL you would need some sleep too, right. So the night being shorter than the day makes perfect sense to me. It's a game after all.

But yeah, thanks for your post, it's always nice to meet like-minded people, especially when it comes to DayZ.

• Beans 1

On 3/31/2019 at 5:14 AM, r8gato said:

Just my 2 cents.

So do you have your own server?

If i would have server,i would run server as seasons and from there adjust night light....autumn would be very dark...winter some more light cos of snow and summer would have twilight.

Edited by kopo79

On 3/31/2019 at 4:14 AM, r8gato said:

Just my 2 cents.

You have to play with these values to find what you are looking for.

serverTimeAcceleration=12;                                  // Accelerated Time (value 0-24)  This is a time multiplier for in-game time. In this case time                                                                                                                     would move 24 times faster  than normal, an entire day would pass in one hour.

serverNightTimeAcceleration=2;                              // Accelerated Night

Edited by NTX_Nitrix
  • Beans 1

I see dayz as a simulator, very realistic, the night is also very realistic, just missing the illumination that the moon projects.. You keep making updates, putting natural light on the player, so you can see the night.
The night must be dark. And on moonless nights, one should not see anything at all, as it is in real life.
Because instead of you putting light on players, you do not solve this problem, adding nightvision, it is already in the files of the game, you just have to configure it, a key to turn ON, a battery, and the vision.
KAZUAR (P1N51) works perfectly at night, I think you have it ready, just do the nightvision work!.

This would solve all server problems at night, players who log out, players who do not like to play at night, and would also solve the problem of night lighting.

Night, it has to be dark, I think the most you should do, is to place the moonlight on moonlit nights.

• Thanks 1

Just tried it out on the experimental servers, and wow it looks really bad. The blue glow is absurdly strong and just looks bad in general. 

Hope it gets reverted and they figure something else out, but this isn't the right solution. 

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

On 4/1/2019 at 5:23 PM, natalyasharapova said:

I see dayz as a simulator, very realistic, the night is also very realistic, just missing the illumination that the moon projects.. You keep making updates, putting natural light on the player, so you can see the night.
The night must be dark. And on moonless nights, one should not see anything at all, as it is in real life.
Because instead of you putting light on players, you do not solve this problem, adding nightvision, it is already in the files of the game, you just have to configure it, a key to turn ON, a battery, and the vision.
KAZUAR (P1N51) works perfectly at night, I think you have it ready, just do the nightvision work!.

This would solve all server problems at night, players who log out, players who do not like to play at night, and would also solve the problem of night lighting.

Night, it has to be dark, I think the most you should do, is to place the moonlight on moonlit nights.

Right on. Maybe I misinterpreted, but in case I didn't, the Kazuar is already in. It can be found in military locations. 

Edited by 0.64 Freerider

I might be stupid but I don't see a button to vote with?

29 minutes ago, Relic77 said:

Hey, If you open the post, you should be able to see the poll just above where my original text/post is. There you should be able to select on of the three answers and click vote in the bottom right I believe it is, but you'll easily see that.

40 minutes ago, Relic77 said:

Oh I just checked, says you've already voted last thursday 03.28.2019 - 9:58 pm. You voted "Lose it".

On 4/1/2019 at 9:46 AM, NTX_Nitrix said:

You have to play with these values to find what you are looking for.

serverTimeAcceleration=12;                                  // Accelerated Time (value 0-24)  This is a time multiplier for in-game time. In this case time                                                                                                                     would move 24 times faster  than normal, an entire day would pass in one hour.

serverNightTimeAcceleration=2;                              // Accelerated Night

2 hours ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

Oh I just checked, says you've already voted last thursday 03.28.2019 - 9:58 pm. You voted "Lose it".

Oh Guess I am stupid, I was probably intoxicated since I have no memory at all that I voted already XD

regarding ServerNightTimeAcceleration so have in mind that nightaccelerator becomes TWICE the value you have in serverTimeAcceleration. In this case it would be 24x faster in the night with the value 12 and 2 in case someone want's to know/didn't know

Edited by Relic77

5 hours ago, Relic77 said:

Oh Guess I am stupid, I was probably intoxicated since I have no memory at all that I voted already XD

regarding ServerNightTimeAcceleration so have in mind that nightaccelerator becomes TWICE the value you have in serverTimeAcceleration. In this case it would be 24x faster in the night with the value 12 and 2 in case someone want's to know/didn't know

"intoxicated" hehe, funny way to label it ;D thanks for the info regarding the nighttime, sounds a bit counter intuitive at first glance, but yeah, at least we got those options.

While the devs did an overall amazing job with Update 1.02 it just hit stable and the following is unfortunately part of the patchnotes for now. They will likely not get the backlash that is required to revert it, because new players always want it easy. They fortunately didn't listen when it was about the stamina bar and pulled through with their design. But with the "personal night light" it seems they are starting to take the knee, to these new players who don't and can't really know what they want.

Excerpt from PC Stable Update 1.02 [LINK]

Added: Client-side personal night light (environment is subtly illuminated from the camera at night to save players from becoming completely blind without a light source)

• Beans 1

On 3/31/2019 at 3:14 AM, r8gato said:

I don't remember which patch it was, but it was deemed 'too hard' and there was a 50/50 chance of surviving long enough to reach a stable situation. That patch was amazing. It felt dramatic, and the clock ticking away as I frantically looked for the means of survival seem now to be gone in this latest version. 

I suspect that was .55 (version one). The outcry was pretty big, so the spawn rates were revised, in a hurry. 

Funny thing was, it wasn't a wipe patch, so those with big stashes were just dandy, and I had five full mil tents near Myshkino….

• Beans 1

Oh Bohemia.  How you have fallen.  You can't even get the base game right and you have to go and fuck the night time up now?  Still no vaulting but we have a night light.  Still no crafting a bow but we have a night light.  Still no fishing but we have a night light?  *facepalm*

You are aware that those who have bitched and moaned about the night time are still going to log off at night now matter what.  Unless you make players a glowing beacon at night, those who complained about the dark are not going to play at night so you may as well as revert this stupid idea you have with the night light.

• Haha 1
  • Beans 1

2 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

[...]Unless you make players a glowing beacon at night, those who complained about the dark are not going to play at night[...]

I think that's very likely to be true. By the way, I don't know if I'm going crazy here or if I'm overseeing anything, because it just seems so incredibly obvious and simple. What about the idea of spawning with a flashlight? Any objections? Seriously, the problem would be solved in a far more natural manner. Please tell me if you can think of anything that would stand against this idea over the personal night light, because I really can't and it kind of scares me that the devs might not have considered it and I don't understand why.

3 minutes ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

I think that's very likely to be true. By the way, I don't know if I'm going crazy here or if I'm overseeing anything, because it just seems so incredibly obvious and simple. What about the idea of spawning with a flashlight? Any objections? Seriously, the problem would be solved in a far more natural manner. Please tell me if you can think of anything that would stand against this idea over the personal night light, because I really can't and it kind of scares me that the devs might not have considered it and I don't understand why.

We start with a flare already but it wasn't good enough.  If they can't see you at 500+ yards at night, it's not good enough

Just now, Guy Smiley said:

We start with a flare already but it wasn't good enough.  If they can't see you at 500+ yards at night, it's not good enough

Yeah, I know we spawn with a flare but to quote @ImpulZ 

Our goal is to find a compromise between making light sources important, while offering enough overview for players in the dark (there are many reasons for players to end up without a light source at night) to make conscious decisions on where to go and/or acquire a light source.

Now the flare I believe runs out at about 15 minutes which, let's be honest, for a complete noob with no map-knowledge can definately lead to getting completely lost and that, combined with the absence of proper moonlight is quite a problem. Here's another question I have for you: ImpulZ is speaking of compromise here, but I really can't picture any form of compromise, so please tell me if you can. Here's why I can't imagine any sort of compromise because both outcomes negate each other:

You either 

1. have enough light around you, so you can orientate, leading to you not needing any light sources, or

2. don't have that light and thus need to find a light source.

The flashlight would be very long lasting. I, and you probably as well, was always able to navigate by silhouettes alone, but that cannot be expected of a new player, I agree. The flashlight would be the perfect solution here in my opinion.

• Beans 1

42 minutes ago, 0.64 Freerider said:

Yeah, I know we spawn with a flare but to quote @ImpulZ 

Now the flare I believe runs out at about 15 minutes which, let's be honest, for a complete noob with no map-knowledge can definately lead to getting completely lost and that, combined with the absence of proper moonlight is quite a problem. Here's another question I have for you: ImpulZ is speaking of compromise here, but I really can't picture any form of compromise, so please tell me if you can. Here's why I can't imagine any sort of compromise because both outcomes negate each other:

You either 

1. have enough light around you, so you can orientate, leading to you not needing any light sources, or

2. don't have that light and thus need to find a light source.

The flashlight would be very long lasting. I, and you probably as well, was always able to navigate by silhouettes alone, but that cannot be expected of a new player, I agree. The flashlight would be the perfect solution here in my opinion.

Honestly, they should just fix the damn server browser so it would show the proper time and people could have chosen what time they wanted to play at.  Then they could choose a day server to scavenge for a proper light source for when night comes  I don't understand how people are having issues.  1500 hours of game time in both day and night and I have not once had an issue with the night time.  I don't have a fancy monitor.  

Serious, how is this acceptable? 

• Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

30 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Honestly, they should just fix the damn server browser so it would show the proper time and people could have chosen what time they wanted to play at.  Then they could choose a day server to scavenge for a proper light source for when night comes  I don't understand how people are having issues.  1500 hours of game time in both day and night and I have not once had an issue with the night time.  I don't have a fancy monitor.  

Serious, how is this acceptable? 

Sure that would be useful, but noobs might not make it in time, so yeah, for the moment I still think flashlight would be the best. Loved the trombone ;D

I know everyone bangs on about this, but if you use DZSA launcher, it tells you the time on the server.

And I could swear we used to spawn with a flashlight, didn't we? Back when you didn't really need one...

• Beans 2

Night light is opposite of realistic! It is now neon party light inside yet pitch black outside except for the neon trees and the neon fences!

Solution:
1) Remove night light
2) Add realistic moonlight!
3) Watch all the night light warriors get mad!

• Beans 1