bent.toe

So... 4x4 car. Lets talk about it for a tiny bit.

Finally got around to assembly a car. 

First one took 2 days of play (4 hour sessions) to get up and running. Well, running is a bad word. Bouncy and spastic is more like it. 

The moment i sat in it, it started bounce and first gear needed full press of the tigger to even move. I tried to drive the damn thing on a forest trail for about 2 minutes before it flipped and launched in the air, hit a tree and smoke came from the engine. 

Great... 

Unloaded all I could carry, walked back to where i found it (a farm in the middle of nowhere) and from there just server hopping til i found another. 

15 minutes of hopping and I found one, put wheel, spark plug, water and gas in it (had no oil) and started it up. This time around it was somewhat drivable and it took me 12-13 minutes of careful driving out to a tarmac road. 

All was fine and dandy until i left the tarmac and drove on those smaller roads (not gravel.. more like old tarmac and no road lines drawn) and the car was struggling on tiny slopes, stalled on 2nd gear, started to be spastic and bumpy, sliding all over. The wheels bounced like it was potholes everywhere, brake marks out of nowhere. 

Then... Woosh.. just skid out on a field at 25 km/h and hit a hanging tree branch. Smoke from the engine.... again. 

Now, this is a game preview... I know. But who in their right mind would release something this broken, something that is so time consuming and got a 50% chance of somewhat working? 

Why not add fully assembled cars in the game preview for us to test and report about? Someone at BI took the decision to add cars in this state?! Why? Pressure? Surely some of the staff must have spoken up and said no, because those 4x4 are truly horrible and worthless in all scenarios. 

With 1.0 next week i really hope you fixed the cars and the physics, otherwise just leave them out until they work properly. Right now they are as much offroad as an F1 car and as haywire as an angry bear. 

Not worth anyones time really. 

• Like 1

Cars are indeed buggy, though we’re still technically in preview, so testing it out and ironing remaining issues comes with the territory.

A friend and I spent a solid 7 hours straight building a car. It seemed to track ok for me, that is until the FPS dropped for a couple of seconds, which teleported it up off the road over a concrete barrier. Some fandangling and it was finally free.

The 4x4 name must just be for laughs, because it’s by no means viable off-road. It’ll struggle on the slightest inclines.

I believe there should be a small chance of finding a complete car. It’s hard to believe every single car would be dismantled, unless I’m missing something lore wise.

All in all its a nice side project, though the payoff currently is debatable at best.

Edited by Nayte
Typo

Lol eventually being in preview wont be an excuse people will be able to use and we'll  see if they fix the cars. It cant be that hard to make driveable vehicles that don't auto crash

The 4x4 is still dodgy on PC and it's at v1.01 😴

Edited by MetalHead2112

1 hour ago, MetalHead2112 said:

The 4x4 is still dodgy on PC at it's at v1.01 😴

Not good... 

On the PC-Version cars are working now.
But there are some points you have to know.

1. Lag of any kind can and will ruin your day if you drive a car.
2. The car will break very easy. Nearly everything you hit, will get you car damaged or evene worse.
3. Even the slightest incline can stop your car to ZERO Speed. You have to go with speed, if you wana climb that mountain :D
and sometimes, not even that will work.
4. Watch you way carefully. If you drive over low-profile obstacles like a stump, your car can get stuck easily, and it will take at least minutes or even hours to free it.
Maybe you will lose your car because you can not free it.
5. Drive carefully. Drive slow. Learn the physiscs and the driving behaviour.
6. Know your route and know the streets - barricades, obstacles, trash and old cars on the road ..
7. If your car starts to bump, flip or react in a crayz manner - get out of the car as fast as you can. Reenter the car, and it will be good again.
This last point was a hugh problem on the pc-version but is very rare now. So you should be good at all.

Don not just drive a car.
Plan your trip, know your shit, or the jouney ends very fast.

Good luck!

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, MetalHead2112 said:

The 4x4 is still dodgy on PC at it's at v1.01 😴

I honestly don't think so.

Well ok sure it's not perfect, but I own 3 cars and use them on a daily basis, on various types of road/area.

I didn't had the "bounce" bug that often. Only once or twice the car started to act a bit bouncy, just stop it, get out and get in and it's fine.

Sure it's not very powerfull, especially when you tru to climb a pretty serious slope or when offroad, but slowly and surely you will get where your aiming.

On the coastal highway you can hit the 100Km/h quickly.

If you hit an obstacle at less than 25Km/h damages are very rare, but if you hit at 50Km/h or more sure your beautiful ride will be fine for the junkyard...

The biggest risk for te car imho is when you going down a slope and hit a tree or a fence. The car may be not powerfull enough to climb the slop backward in reverse gear, and the car will be stuck forever as you can't push it or tract it.

And the biggest risk for players is getting in the passenger seat while the car is still running very slowly or just stopped with engine still runnning. The guy might get launched 5-10m meters in the air. I recommand stopping the engine before any passenger get in.

It needs to be handled carefully, but it's a wonderfull tool in the game and I'm having a lot fun with it. 😁

Edited by matiman
typo

6 hours ago, Supe2licious said:

On the PC-Version cars are working now.
But there are some points you have to know.

1. Lag of any kind can and will ruin your day if you drive a car.
2. The car will break very easy. Nearly everything you hit, will get you car damaged or evene worse.
3. Even the slightest incline can stop your car to ZERO Speed. You have to go with speed, if you wana climb that mountain 😄
and sometimes, not even that will work.
4. Watch you way carefully. If you drive over low-profile obstacles like a stump, your car can get stuck easily, and it will take at least minutes or even hours to free it.
Maybe you will lose your car because you can not free it.
5. Drive carefully. Drive slow. Learn the physiscs and the driving behaviour.
6. Know your route and know the streets - barricades, obstacles, trash and old cars on the road ..
7. If your car starts to bump, flip or react in a crayz manner - get out of the car as fast as you can. Reenter the car, and it will be good again.
This last point was a hugh problem on the pc-version but is very rare now. So you should be good at all.

Don not just drive a car.
Plan your trip, know your shit, or the jouney ends very fast.

Good luck!

I'm not gonna adapt to all those points. It's better if the developers learn how to create a working car that might make it up a tiny slope. 

On 3/23/2019 at 1:31 AM, bent.toe said:

Not worth anyones time really.  

BUT it is worth your time to moan how cr@p it is.  - Are you not having a good Saturday nite, dude? 
I'm almost sad for you.
Ya know? - DO stuff you like?  Or is this all you have? << Not worth anyone's time really. >>

Edited by pilgrim*
dude - quit smoking

17 hours ago, bent.toe said:

I'm not gonna adapt to all those points. It's better if the developers learn how to create a working car that might make it up a tiny slope. 

Maybe it sound harder then it really is.
Having a car, can be a huge benefit and is fully worth it.
But you have to know the game, like in every other game too.

The only really annoying thing is, that the car has big (Kind of unrealistic) problems going upwards.

But i think, that has a purpose of some kind.
There will be better cars in the future, and this car is the "lowest" car in the game i guess.
But that is just guessing ...

All in all, you will have a hard time building and maintaining a car, but it will be fun too, and the Advantage of going fast is just too good to ignore it

Edited by Supe2licious

On 3/23/2019 at 7:20 AM, Supe2licious said:

7. If your car starts to bump, flip or react in a crayz manner - get out of the car as fast as you can.

You wont die if it jumps and rolls around on xbox. Happens to me every day and it just has its hisssy fits and then settles down. It's only doing it on your side. My buddie in the front seat sits there asking me why I stopped... so I tell him... "The Geo Tracker" is having another hissy fit again..." everything is normal on his screen.  The one time I did get out when that happened I died...

To reduce risk of dying, stop the car, turn off motor, open door, Exit
I was lucky to do it exactly that way without knowing the risk.

I dont think the car will stop bumping and jumping by itself ...

Edited by Supe2licious

Id rather build a car in real life than in dayz cause its easier in real life and it wont randomly crash into a tree.. dayz is a video game it should we way easier to drive... all cars should actually just be driveable anways... get rid of ALL the car parts on the map and just make the cars driveable.

I think all cars should require at least some work doing to them. I don't know how long after the fall of society this game takes place, but leave a car a few months and I guarantee the tyres and battery will probably be flat and quite possibly the engine seized up. 

I like the idea of finding cars on varying states of disrepair though. You might get lucky and find one that just needs a new battery and the tyres pumping up or find one that has been stripped by other survivors for parts. 

I do think there needs to be an element of challenge there though. I think it also encourages people to team up in order to fix one. I have never bothered on my own, but would have a go if I was teaming up with someone. 

1 hour ago, AndrzejHook said:

Id rather build a car in real life than in dayz cause its easier in real life and it wont randomly crash into a tree.. dayz is a video game it should we way easier to drive... all cars should actually just be driveable anways... get rid of ALL the car parts on the map and just make the cars driveable.

I agree. 

It's not like people all of the sudden, during an zombie apocalypse, start to dismantle cars and place parts all over the city. 

Why can't i pop the hood on any car and take a spark plug? Why can't i take gas from any car out there? 

The current state of the car physics and handling should encourage the developers to instead have fully assembled cars that you find and can hot wire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bent.toe said:

Why can't i pop the hood on any car and take a spark plug? Why can't i take gas from any car out there? 

+1