CrookedTube

My Favorite Hoarding Simulator

Just back from my most recent and year-long break from DayZ. I have 400 hours in DayZ have been playing since 2015, and in my opinion it has gotten so much better since the Devs released the server files and I can finally play… alone.

I turned an old gaming PC into a dedicated server with vanilla settings, FPP only, and 4X time acceleration. I do not use any mods or admin commands; no cheating in other words. Finally, I can find most of the weapon systems and car parts, tents, etc. I have a base at the airfield and am slowly building a perimeter of the new fences and use a car to go scavenge for nails and other necessary items. I still manage to die about once every 8-10 play hours and consider the 90-120 minute run back to the base (and loss of gear) as a good time to reflect on my errors and refine my strategy. Everything on my person is lost when I die so I try to offload often and never carry more than I want to lose but, as mentioned, after a while I find myself getting too focused on finding certain items and underestimating the zeds and paying the ultimate price.

My long-term goal is to have a healthy routine like Will Smith in I Am Legend. I stockpile some medical supplies even though the infection mechanic is not in use right now; I hope that will get fixed soon. I make it a point to try and kill a few dozen zeds per game day as part of my civic duty, another reason I die every now and then. Duct tape, nails, and mobile lights are like bars of gold. 

Having a working car is… BALLER. I drive it like it is the last one on earth. No hot-dogging and only one damaging crash so far when I was driving in fog. It took me eight game hours to get it running once I found it and it has taken me four more to fix it since the crash but I got careless when scavenging for motor oil for the rebuilt engine and am currently doing another corpse run from the beach. I guess I’ll never learn...

Before I played solo the last few weeks, I had 350 hours on official servers over the past four years. Some of you will no doubt not be able to imagine how I might like solo play. However, I was always the hermit type on official servers. For me, this is THE WAY to play. A couple years ago I was able to get a VSS running on an official server and after days of careful planning I started it up and drove it to a gas station where I was promptly sniped as I was refueling it. I had to take a break for a few weeks after that.

As a side note, I also have 1,100 hours in 7 Days to Die and hope that the complexity of DayZ will some day approach 7DTD for food, farming, vehicles. 

To the Devs, I appreciate your commitment to getting the game nearer an end state. I don’t consider the current build a full release with most of the weapons and health mechanics missing but I can see considerable progress on the stability, connectivity, and graphics issues. Keep it up.

To the playas, I still play a bit on official servers and if you see me trying to assemble a camp or a vehicle and bushwack me, I won’t take it personal. That’s why I have my own server.

Signing off the net
CrookedTube: Devout Hermit

Edited by CrookedTube
  • Beans 3

2 hours ago, CrookedTube said:

To the playas, I still play a bit on official servers and if you see me trying to assemble a camp or a vehicle and bushwack me, I won’t take it personal. That’s why I have my own server.

Signing off the net
CrookedTube: Devout Hermit

If you're working around our area in Svet on the official public side then let us (the helpy helpers) know and we'll provide some support for your endgame. 

i play like this aswell. with some tweaks on zombie count and so on. In an perfect world dayz and 7dtd would have a baby 😛 the grafics, gunhandling and atmosphere from dayz and the survival and zombie part from 7dtd.

• Beans 1

Just a quick update; I just shot my car 😣  I had it parked in the line of fire while I was sniping zeds. I have been saving spare parts but I'll be lugging tires all over the map after I can find a new ride....

[edit] This is why they say two is one and one is none...

Edited by CrookedTube