Guy Smiley

Two dedicated servers

Hey guys.  I've got a dedicated 60 man server going on one computer and I want to run another one from my gaming computer to test from but as far as I can tell DayZ uses one port 2302.  How can run a second server on a separate port?  

The port is defined in the command line. Just use a different port.

11 hours ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

The port is defined in the command line. Just use a different port.

I think he can use any port (all other Bi games permit this)  - eg port 2303 for the second instance.

then:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/DayZ:Server_Configuration

- and Impulz gives the same instructions here

So see the line :

instanceId = 1;    // DayZ server instance id, to identify the number of instances per box and their storage folders with persistence files

Then the question is how to start up two different instances to run at once on the server,  and each keep their own records - persistence records & backup & battleye connection (& whatever)

- because you can't launch TWO examples of DayZServer_x64.exe in the same folder on the server (obviously) - and cant run it twice with the same launch batch file. If you rename to DayZServer_x64_1.exe & DayZServer_x64_2.exe what happens to your links (eg to battleye and backup/restore). Or is this there a standard way of doing this that I haven't seen ??

The owner will need 2 sets of local files if he wants to change & experiment with mods on one of the instances, but keep the other instance running without change. And a batch file to launch each, I guess. So one game can run on while he restarts the other with experimental mods.

@ImpulZ - (or anyone else) - am I looking in the wrong direction here?.. Don't want to take up your time, a "Yes Totally" plus a clue  - will do fine. thanx

???

Edited by pilgrim*

Well, I switched the port and the server now shows up, but when I click on the server and play button, nothing happens.  I'll keep digging lol.  Thanks guys

18 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Well, I switched the port and the server now shows up, but when I click on the server and play button, nothing happens.  I'll keep digging lol.  Thanks guys

Other ports are allowed : for example you can use port 2402 definitely - other servers are using this
eg - here are 3 instances with the same IP  = 185.16.86.48, but different ports for each instance (three different games, each with it"'s own persistence, etc).

check the PC Community list:
names :
"Standalone Server"  = 185.16.86.48 : 2302
"'The Village - Barely Infected" = 185.16.86.48 : 2402
"'Hangedmen rp"= 185.16.86.48 : 2502

Question is How to have two or more self-contained DayZ games running on one box? (not just the player port address)  Each one needs it's own parameters, maybe it's own different mods,  connection to battleye & steam, events, persistence, hive & backup, and  the correct ports open to put each instance on the server list. Different instance number for each (see ImpulZ startup parameters) and ALL the full set of files needed for each instance in separate folders on the server?  & different local PC files & batch file for each one?

<I messaged you around 3am - your time - you with "half" an idea about this and some links .. not a solution, just a starting place>

Edited by pilgrim*

@pilgrim* This is two different machines running servers through the same router.  I was able to make the other one show in the community list but it wouldn't load.  I'll look at it some more today

• Like 1

Generally you need to open specific ports in the firewall for servers to be playable and/or appear in the server browser.

The default settings are:
- Gameport 2302 [UDP]
- SteamQueryPort 27016 [UDP]

- DZSALModServer 2312 (Gameport+10) [TCP]

When adding additional servers I recommend setting up different root directories and always working with instance id = 1.

Best practice is to add 100 to the Gameport to ensure no other port crossing. 

When you launch a new server the SteamQueryPort will increase by 1 for each running server. It is recommended to hard configure this in the serverDZ.cfg as certain tracking software like Gametracker or BattleMetrics has some issues with this. 

If you are not against 3rd party solutions I would recommend https://www.reddit.com/r/CFTools/comments/a9orll/omegamanager/ 

It handles everything setup wise, so that you can focus on actually playing on/with your server.

Edited by philippj
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

@pilgrim* This is two different machines running servers through the same router.  I was able to make the other one show in the community list but it wouldn't load.  I'll look at it some more today

If you have two boxes going through the same IP : then life is much simpler

-   each server [machine] has it's own serverDZ.cfg   You set up each server exactly as a standard server running one DayZ game.  ( = no need to change any directory or file names etc )

then, following @philippj  above  

First server port settings:
- Gameport 2302   [UDP]
- SteamQueryPort 27016   [UDP]

- DZSALModServer 2312   [TCP]       

Second server port settings:
- Gameport 2402   [UDP]
- SteamQueryPort 27017   [UDP]

- DZSALModServer 2412    [TCP]     

also make sure all these ports are open in your local router

OK.. sounds reasonable - is anything else missing ? - any other port alterations needed  @philippj ?   (& thanx  &  beanZ)

- anyone else notice if something else needs doing?   ( @ImpulZ ) ??

p.s - FOLKS : Try out the  174.0.199.16:2302 = Dead by Dawn (Dedicated) Hardcore 1p  server on PC Community . Don't miss it. Worth a look just for what @Guy Smiley has done so far to the zombs. Makes life MUCH more interesting .. brings back some of the old-time  STRESS that had begun to fade from the game a little .

- I'd love to see someone try to build a Base in front of or around a Police Station in THIS mod (heh) ..  Might be a challenge !

Edited by pilgrim*

I tried changing the port and adding the rule to my port forwarding.  Still nothing.  It's fine.  I'll just run blind tests on my main server

Edited by Guy Smiley

Off topic but kinda related (noob question) when I try to run a dedicated server on a second computer, Steam kicks me out from my gaming rig. So, do I really need a separate Steam account for the dedicated server or am I doing something wrong?

30 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Off topic but kinda related (noob question) when I try to run a dedicated server on a second computer, Steam kicks me out from my gaming rig. So, do I really need a separate Steam account for the dedicated server or am I doing something wrong?

I made a new steam account on my other computer.  The dedicated server is free so you can just download it 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I made a new steam account on my other computer.  The dedicated server is free so you can just download it 

Thanks, I did that too in the end I just wasn't sure it was necessary.

8 minutes ago, Derleth said:

Thanks, I did that too in the end I just wasn't sure it was necessary.

Technically you don't need to.  Once you download the dedicated server, you can just go into the install folder right click on your DayZServer_x64 and send to desktop and just start it from there without steam being involved at all

• Like 1