Christopher122

Console Noob help

So i am a peasant wanting in on the elites. Knowing nothing about the lastest hardware, since the last computer I built was in 2005, what computer should I get or parts to use in a build that can run dayz smooth with and without mods. Also i am not interested in any of that VR junk so I know that saves me about 300 dollars. Looking for people who specifically play the game, input. 

• Like 1

Welcome to DayZ, Christopher!

To start, DayZ is a quite graphically taxing game for your everyday home-pc to run. However, for a "gaming pc" it could prove to be a simple task. That being said, you'd have to first grasp the understanding of why it's considered a graphically taxing game. We start with the fact that Dayz is an open world game. This means that the most of the game (the entirety in DayZ's case) that is considered to be playable area is in one 'instance'; or a more familiar term, all in one 'level'. This means that the entire instance must be loaded before you can enter the game. However that doesn't mean every object in the game will be rendered all at the same time, of course. Developers have considered how rendering everything in the instance, including what you're way too far away to see, could and would most definitely crash your game client. 

What I recommend since I myself am a little bias to NVIDIA, is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 or higher. This graphics card runs anywhere between $30 - $60 USD on average as of right now and is fairly cheap. One of my computers is currently running this graphics card and under the right settings will hold a solid 40 fps (frames per second) or higher. 

For the processor, you're going to want something that can properly support the 'full weight' of the graphics card. So basically this means when your graphics card is running at capacity, your processor can keep up with it. I started with a NVIDIA GTX 720 and am now up to a GTX 970, with my original processor that well-supported my 720 being an 'Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.7GHz (8CPUs), ~3.7GHz'. I'm not exactly a computer tech wizard, but a good rule of thumb is that if you have half the power of a video card, you should have about the same level processor or greater. So maybe an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.5GHz or higher may be a good choice. That ranges online widely from the low $100 - $250. I'm sure you can find a good deal for it. If you buy a pre-built computer like I did, then you can specify what processor and graphics card you want.

Put it like this - your graphics card is your upper body, and your processor is your legs. "Never skip leg day".

Do keep in mind, though it is a great thing to hear you want to invest in a PC that can run DayZ, make sure you can also run other games in mind, because there are more graphically taxing games out there other than DayZ! You wouldn't want to be stuck in Chernarus your whole (gaming) life... or would you?..

Anyways, mods. Mods are a huge variable on the graphic power required of a computer to run it smoothly (assuming smoothly is somewhere between 40 and 60 fps as a target). Depending on the mod and if it adds graphics to the game or changes them will determine a huge difference in frame rise/drop. For instance, if a mod just adds a skin to a weapon in the game, one graphic aspect (the original default gun skin) was removed, and another (the new skin) was added in its place. This honestly has such a minuscule effect on your frame-rate (under most conditions) that it would change by a rough guess of ... maybe... .003 fps difference? Not humanly recognizable or significant in any way. However, if a mod is to add, say, double the foliage (more trees), then due to the amount of polygons the computer needs to render doubling, this would have a massively taxing effect on your graphics card. So buying a computer to anticipate the strain mods have on the games would be an ill-placed decision in my opinion. If a mod is made correctly by a developer, it will be well optimized and will cause minimal strain to the graphics card.

Finally, your monitor. Just so you're aware, a 60hz refresh rate (59.94hz usually) can only render up to 60 FPS. So if you're running near, at, or over 60fps, you've already piqued possibly graphical performance levels on your current graphical setting while in game. That "60hz" is your monitors refresh rate, and 60 is about the standard. So if you're aiming for higher without a higher monitor, it's a waste of time. If you truly want that extra performance and want to get those extra frames above 60 like the streamers do, then you'll want to at least compensate with the monitor. A 144hz refresh rate monitor would be ideal if you're looking to benefit from the power of whatever PC you buy.

Like I said, regardless of that sermon I wrote just now, I'm not a PC wizard! Though I hope I didn't spew any info out of ignorance, I do hope that this helps! Sorry that it's a late reply, but I hope this helps!

If you end up buying the computer rig, post some setup pics in the forums later! We look forward to you joining us. :)

//Tony

I gave a friend my first gen i7 950, 9 gigs of ram, gtx680 and an ssd with a 650W power supply and he says the game runs fine. Lower graphic detail probably but it would work on a  budget. I would t recommend that personally since they are older components and you can probably do better.

I run it on an i7 6700k, 16GB of ram, 1080ti, nvme drive and also a 650W PS and it also runs fine- probably a tad overkill for DayZ.

Choose your own adventure.

On 3/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, Christopher122 said:

So i am a peasant wanting in on the elites. Knowing nothing about the lastest hardware, since the last computer I built was in 2005, what computer should I get or parts to use in a build that can run dayz smooth with and without mods. Also i am not interested in any of that VR junk so I know that saves me about 300 dollars. Looking for people who specifically play the game, input. 

whats your budget?

As Eno and Dorn 956 say most hardware from the last 9 years will run DayZ. I have an i7 960 with 12GB ram and a gtx780ti with a 1TB ssd. runs fine

I am just moving to a new pc now though  . ..

Edited by aux7

If you want a build just for DayZ you don't need a huge setup, if you have a low budget you can probably mount one for cheap with used parts.

My setup is 7 (or 8 may be) years old : i5-2500K CPU, GTX570 GPU, 8Go RAM, Corsair Force3 SSD.

Sure I don't set all the graphics in game at maximum quality, but everything is at least medium or high, and performances are decent.