Jump to content
Guy Smiley

Dead by Dawn | Hardcore 1pp

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

yes, is good Idea to keep a backup - Yo ! Im NOT saying this to be Smart, I'm saying it because IM DUMB.  (lol)  after long and bitter experience (bad scenes!) - These days,  for important stuff I have one clean full backup folder (CLEAN FULL) that I don't touch. Then I have a Working Backup folder that I do changes to (WORKING).. and a Live backup folder that has the stuff that is online now (LIVE).
I make sure the LIVE is up to date on my PC, it IS exactly what is online (I download from online to my LIVE).. then I send the WORKING up the web. See how that runs.
If there's REALLY no problem I re-download the online stuff into LIVE (but not before)
Meanwhile I have WORKING to tinker with and check if something online is not right, I find out what it is by looking in in WORKING.
If everything totally turns to crap I have the CLEAN FULL that I can replace from.
And - be paranoid - keep a vanilla ORIGINAL VANILLA 1.XX too, somewhere safe.. because the Devs can change stuff at any vanilla update that might or might not mess with your mod changes

this sounds like a BIG pain in the neck, but MANY times I have left a file in some wrong folder, or deleted a version I wanted to keep, or have 4 same-name files tagged _a _b _c _d : then it turns out I have two effing _cs in two different temp folders.. and they are NOT the same, and the one I want looks to contain more like the _a than the _d  . I sent the wrong file up and deleted the backup by mistake or renamed it or I did half the work on one file and the rest of the work on the other file - and don't effing know which is the good effing copy (IF I've got one)  .. LOL   . Can get to be stress for someone like me who "thinks" they are smart.

And after doing this for 100 YEARS - I get the message like after like 100 years of electric cattle prod therapy (noticing that ANOTHER day-and-night of work seems to have fucked off to Valhalla  ) - finally I do the same SYSTEM every time and its shit-long and boring but usually it works..  I just have to remember I have VERY VERY simple mind.  = Ya know?

keep doing it, dude  -  DbyD  is  GOOD

Haha, I should have snagged the backup so I could have been it on the dedicated server and just kept going with that.  Over 8 hours and no response from my provider

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Haha, I should have snagged the backup so I could have been it on the dedicated server and just kept going with that.  Over 8 hours and no response from my provider

providers are not generally helpful to individual clients .. they do NOT have many technical staff, they just have a glossy web page that auto updates -  <some REALLY have ONE  technician to deal with the World>  -and the one or two software folk that are there are in the Head Office overseeing the auto-software that takes your bank card, gives you a password and a slot in your region, and at the same times auto-pays the server centers for the space they have already hired and auto-installs the games when the statistics says they are needed region by region, game by game, and also auto-banks your rent. 
Two guys (maybe) working days .. and 100,000 clients on 100+ different games running 24/7 in 5 to 30 server centers around the world? - If a tech problem comes to the top of the auto-answer pile (mainly 5000 complaints in 30 languages about someone not playing fair .. which is NOT the provider's problem) - If it comes to the top and a human being reads it - they put vanilla back on your server. =IMO=
Maybe some are better than others - this is strictly IMO ..

what about ImpulZ suggestion :  can you use that here ?

 

 

Edited by pilgrim*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my provider has cancelled my account.  I can't even get the files lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Well, my provider has cancelled my account.  I can't even get the files lol

shit - hope DbyD is coming back one way or another !

For you sake because it is good work, you are on the right wavelength
- and for mine. This is my fave server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

shit - hope DbyD is coming back one way or another !

For you sake because it is good work, you are on the right wavelength
- and for mine. This is my fave server.

Well I'm looking at running a dedicated instead.  Still 60 man server.  I had the pbo saved with the increased infected so I was able to replace that

  • Beans 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Server is up and running

Dead by Dawn(Dedicated) | Hardcore 1pp - 174.0.199.16:2302

4 hour day

2 hour night

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Beans 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Dead by Dawn(Dedicated) | Hardcore 1pp - 174.0.199.16:2302

Neat !  - when I find it I'm on it. 
thanx

Edited by pilgrim*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

The infected don't feel the same.  @pilgrim*, how does it feel to you?

Had a fistfight with only one today, by unexpected encounter she was in woods near a village  - she scored hits more times than I expected, but  was perhaps by chance. I had to bandage but no gear was damaged.  Haven't noticed a particular difference - but they seem to move around quite a lot compared to vanilla.  Yesterday I spawned in a random body (my own fault) and picked up a crowd of them to respawn.  I was using the chance to check if crawling had a shorter detection distance than crouching,  but it seems about the same on open ground;  5 of the civilian infected & 2 priests beat me to death REAL quick.  Will know soon.
they can run faster than I can when I have no equipment at all and not winded - after 30 or 40 yards they catch up. Is almost not possible to dodge around houses/undergrowth to lose them.  Once they pick you up they keep coming after you.
Haven't looted any, and haven't tried military yet.

One thing : I found a coast-road village with no zombs in it at all.  Was eerie..  Don't know if they did not spawn or if  someone had been through recently and fought them all, or the whole village chased a player into the trees ? 

- Will judge better in a couple of days .

Is a good server to be on. For sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Had a fistfight with only one today, by unexpected encounter she was in woods near a village  - she scored hits more times than I expected, but  was perhaps by chance. I had to bandage but no gear was damaged.  Haven't noticed a particular difference - but they seem to move around quite a lot compared to vanilla.  Yesterday I spawned in a random body (my own fault) and picked up a crowd of them to respawn.  I was using the chance to check if crawling had a shorter detection distance than crouching,  but it seems about the same on open ground;  5 of the civilian infected & 2 priests beat me to death REAL quick.  Will know soon.
they can run faster than I can when I have no equipment at all and not winded - after 30 or 40 yards they catch up. Is almost not possible to dodge around houses/undergrowth to lose them.  Once they pick you up they keep coming after you.
Haven't looted any, and haven't tried military yet.

One thing : I found a coast-road village with no zombs in it at all.  Was eerie..  Don't know if they did not spawn or if  someone had been through recently and fought them all, or the whole village chased a player into the trees ? 

- Will judge better in a couple of days .

Is a good server to be on. For sure.

That's good.  Ya, I just died and lost everything right lol.  So, I haven't gone through the items yet for spawns.  Right now I'm trying to figure out how I can run two servers.  This one and my test server.  I can't share the same port but DayZ needs to be on a 2302?   Or can I just set another port in the launch options and put that through my firewall?

 

Edit: I did a few new spawn points for the zeds.  Tedious but I'm adding, just can't test them before going live

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what kind of gameplay you are aiming on your server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kopo79 said:

what kind of gameplay you are aiming on your server?

I want it to be as much of a struggle as possible.  I really want people to hate but love the server because of how unforgiving it's going to be.  One of my goals, once they complete the game, is to make certain loot as scarce as possible.  Certain weapons, backpacks, items.  I'm looking at possible upping the infected hit points, making them harder to kill but having certain ones possibly carrying the certain loot type a player is looking for.  I would also like to be able to add with the more weight you carry, the exertion is used up towards thirst and hunger.  I've got lots of ideas and I'm hoping most, if not all, will be feasible just through the server files and not having to actually mod anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kind of work, and the goal of it I like. This sounds like to me, start DayZ and choose your level of difficulty:

- Official Veteran @ Medium-Level.

- Inofficial Veteran @ Hardcore-Level.

(is he too strong, are you too weak, like "fishermansfriend")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

The kind of work, and the goal of it I like. This sounds like to me, start DayZ and choose your level of difficulty:

- Official Veteran @ Medium-Level.

- Inofficial Veteran @ Hardcore-Level.

(is he too strong, are you too weak, like "fishermansfriend")

I personally have wanted to see Rockets vision come to fruition but he also had some outlandish ideas.  I can however, create the gritty hardcore game that has been advertised.  I do need to research and learn more about the pbo's and what they do.  So far all I've done is triple the infected spawn numbers but during my travels I have been paying attention some barren areas and thought, this looks like a good place to put about 30 infected, so I've been adding infected spawn locations to certain areas.  I've got a lot of ideas but like I stated above, I've got a lot of ideas but some cannot be accomplished without BI finishing the game and I refuse to use a half-baked mod.  Game is only gonna get better with each new update this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feel free to drop me a message if you notice an area that could possible use some infected.   As I've been playing I've been taking notes of my time traveled since seeing an infected and I've been adding some roaming hordes here and there.  I've been placing surprises here and there.  Could use some more feedback

  • Beans 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

Feel free to drop me a message if you notice an area that could possible use some infected.   As I've been playing I've been taking notes of my time traveled since seeing an infected and I've been adding some roaming hordes here and there.  I've been placing surprises here and there.  Could use some more feedback

I will post feedback next time I've been on long enough to have an adventure. Lately I've only had time to play about an hour in the morning before work, doesn't allow for much to happen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×