Sign in to follow this  
eno

A few tips to surviving your next encounter.

Let's face it:

Sometimes you're going to die no matter what you do. 

Sometimes you're going to live no matter what you do. 

This post is intended to provide some considerations for those of you who are trying to figure out the times where what you do can make a difference. This post also assumes you're just in there playing your heart out in a non-contested area (mil zone, cherno / zino / elektro etc.) enjoying the game and doesn't account for all blends of ulterior motives.  None of these are guarantees but it could be a reasonable guide for newer players.

1) Remember: You are often being watched. Players will sometimes sit back and watch you from a distance going about your routine to assess how they're going to deal with you. They generally have 3 options: a) Avoid you. b) Interact with you. c) Kill you from a distance.

If you are sprinting straight to military spawn areas / guard shacks as soon as you get into town and shooting everything in sight this isn't going to reflect well on your intentions. Even if you want to find that pistol suppressor, camo net or field vest- go through the motions. Pick through other buildings even if it's just a glance. If you're openly shooting unsuppressed weapons at single zobs in towns you're practically begging to be shot.

2) Keep your distance. Don't sprint straight at a person and get in their face- much less don't sniper shuffle in a sprint and get in their face. The punching mechanic causes a stun which practically locks an impacted player down and prevents them from retreating. This fact has made geared players more bristly to even fresh spawns. Keeping your distance helps you reassure the person that you are not intending to lock them up in that fashion. Even if you're a fresh spawn, stay clear and tell the other player you're going to stay clear. Shuffle side to side since it can always be an ambush, but don't sprint at them. 

3)  Weapon management. This is a tricky one and there is no real single answer. It's not a fair expectation for anyone to put a weapon away when the other person is keeping theirs. With that said if you detect each other far enough apart, putting your weapon away and being prepared to pull it back out if it's not reciprocated can help to dissolve some of the standoff tension. Example: I recently came across a guy fighting off zombies and as soon as he was done he backed away from me and shouldered his weapon... I reciprocated and we both lived. If I see someone putting their weapon away I'll do the same. If I put my weapon away and they don't then I'll pull mine back out. Kind of like flashing high beams at someone on the highway to get an oncoming vehicle to dim theirs. It's not an ideal solution but sometimes it works. 

4) Clothing can matter. My experience has shown that players in flagrantly obnoxious clothing are like wildly camouflaged creatures in nature. The colours scream: Do not approach. I put these people in a league that's even more departed than the full out military guys... You want to stay away from both- but the wild civilian clothing may tend to draw you in because it's "not military." These wonky colour schemes are often streamers or others "doing it for the lulz" who will also try and entertain their audience at your expense. 

5)  Role playing. Wandering around the docks at Svet role playing some ancient traveler or some other inbred accent on an official public isn't a great idea... and you can go ahead and knock that shit off. It's probably fun to do that but that's not what this thread is about. If you want to survive the encounter with a stranger... don't pull out the sloppy second accent.

6) Don't ask to join.  If you've stumbled into an individual or group of players who let you live, don't abuse their generosity. If they want a complete stranger to tag along because they like your face, they'll ask you. If they don't, they won't. But don't ask them and try to convince them how trustful and nice you are. It comes off like a delaying tactic used in an ambush and will frequently result in you being summarily executed.  If people wish you luck and send you on your way, move along or... well...

7) Have a mic or at the very least know how to type in text chat ( T key)... It helps to know how to type really fast since while you're typing you're not able to shuffle. Additionally while you're typing your message the person you're trying to type to will be interpreting your silence in various ways- including but not limited to trying to set up an ambush on him / her with your friends. Have a mic. Talk normally. Avoid cliches like "friendly friendly! are you friendly?" since the last 10 times the person heard that they were probably killed.  Instead, you're the new bartender at the local pub: "Hey... I'm just passing through. I'll keep my distance- Do you need anything? I'll be working over on this side of town ..." etc.

8- Carry valuable / rare weapons internally. Sometimes you're not able to do this for any variety of reasons. Most know that just because nothing is showing doesn't mean that it's not there- however having that M4 visible on your back is going to make you a more lucrative target than if it isn't showing. If I'm out looking to interact with people moreso then I will gear my character accordingly and internal weapons carriage helps. 

9) Go with your gut feeling. You don't NEED to approach everyone... in fact you probably shouldn't. Most of the above tips only apply if you've given yourself as much of a chance to survive as possible and quite often this is an assessment on your surroundings done with regular regularity. Where are you, who are you with, what are you doing, how are you dressed, and how are your actions over the last 10 minutes going to reflect on your intentions. Similarly, you'll be doing assessments on anyone you see. 

10) What are your tips to maximizing the potential of surviving the next encounter? 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1
  • Beans 6

Don't wear masks, balaclavas, bandanas. I also find playing a female char seems to make people feel a bit less hostile. Make of that what you will.

A slightly wider point - find playstyles other than just running to mil areas and getting tacticooled-up...

• Beans 2