Evilsausage

Who actually build bases and repair cars?

16 minutes ago, Nayte said:

Thanks for the info on how weak the car is. I enjoy browsing the PC side, as you guys absolutely have the knowledge

Well that will make some of the PC guys buy bigger hats.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, green_mtn_grandbob said:

Well that will make some of the PC guys buy bigger hats.

Thanks for the chuckle.

Bases and cars are something to do.

The following pic is base my friend dubbed "the junkyard".  This is on an official server.  The base has survived for quite some time.  He recently had to rebuild some walls because he believes that he hasn't interacted with them in 45 days.

4911D6425418AD4DD1CE8E3E0E2D3D076B36C677

Today, we drove the thirteenth car back to his base.  Yes, 13.  See how many you can spot in this pic alone! lulz

As I think. Difficult tasks in the game for one player, suggest to unite efforts of several players, for easier achievement of these tasks.
Perhaps the game requires a mechanism for creating groups, taking into account the number of players in a group. This should affect the robustness of the base. The base built by a group of three people can be successfully attacked by another group of at least three people. But not everything should be easy for the group; perhaps more difficult conditions are needed for mining by the group in the cities.
Any idea needs to be calculated and built dependencies, create conditions.
Not sure if this could be part of the developer’s work. Perhaps this is more interesting for a competent guy for the release of Mods.

3 hours ago, lex__1 said:

Any idea needs to be calculated and built dependencies, create conditions.

exactly true @lex__1
- if no serious structural conditions for base play are created -  you end up with RUST {bloody AGAIN.. jeez } .. and on RUST totally ALL the fresh spawns complain like hell that they have NO CHANCE starting up unless they are ALREADY in a CLAN with a BIG BASE
A couple of years back, everyone who wanted THAT (mil-style-Bases)  left DayZ and went to play RUST instead (check back in the forum, see it happen). People are now saying we can use Rust-like bases to bring players back to DayZ .. imitate the imitators..

In DayZ we have houses.. It would have made GOOD SENSE to occupy houses and make them habitable, reinforce the doors and ground floor windows, sort out the cooking facilities, have in-game KEYS and traps, put firing slots in the walls.. the stuff any SANE bunch of survivors would do REBUILD and OCCUPY.... <if that's the way you want to play it..>
Would have made GOOD sense even for the DayZ backstory & survival..

But pseudo-military-bases is a concept that is EASY TO UNDERSTAND and POPULAR because everyone has already heard of it, from Minecraft through to Rust, who cares how they WORK, dude? They're MIL and you can store stuff in them and FIGHT and RAID

Except they work REALLY badly for that kind of gameplay - the "in your dreams" fun clan base-game. Now the folk who signed up for Bases are complaining 100% about Bases - with maybe TWO (count them) TWO exceptions?

At present they don't give enough ADVANTAGE for the effort to create them.. it's probably for the same reason problems turned so fast up in H1Z1.. they are an idea stolen (borrowed on the cheap, OK?)  from another game and dropped whole into the middle of this UNIQUE game - where, as Parazite says, they are just stuff to spend time messing about with - something to do that LOOKS cool in the photos but doesn't have any special PURPOSE ( unless you are on a private server where you can kick anyone who turns up with an axe. The ONE private server that has ONE huge base does NOT think bases are a problem.. it kicks anyone who doesn't agree. So THEY think "their base" is cool - and on a Private server with enforced RULES of behavior - it IS cool). But Xbox players, and Public server PC players don't have that luxury.
Build a base for no particular reason except it looks cool and homey, and hope no one finds it while you're offline. That's how far the game-play around base building has got, right now.

Meanwhile on Xbox, 50% of new players start off to BUILD BASES  (without really looking at the rest of the game, except looting mil weapons) and 50% of new players KNOCK THEM DOWN for LOL

- so sooner or later someone has to work out detailed rules and actions as @lex__1 says, and seriously Balance ALL the gameplay elements necessary to FIT bases into a better & wider-possibility FUNCTIONAL DayZ WITHOUT destroying what made DayZ unique, and without destroying the play styles that made DayZ survival so amazing and interesting for so long  - and spawned so many imitations. Let's not become an imitation of our own imitation, to pull in more new easy-play standard-game buyers.  .. hmm? That would be setting a bad example for Xbox players - they already have plenty of those. Give them something BETTER.

- just THIS weekend, so far there are THREE threads on this forum's Xbox section,  saying effectively  "Make DayZ Bases MORE LIKE RUST"

Is that really the solution ?

Edited by pilgrim*

6 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

In DayZ we have houses.. It would have made GOOD SENSE to occupy houses and make them habitable, reinforce the doors and ground floor windows, sort out the cooking facilities, have in-game KEYS and traps, put firing slots in the walls.. the stuff any SANE bunch of survivors would do REBUILD and OCCUPY.... <if that's the way you want to play it..>

Some of the best basebuilding strategies involve using walls to fortify existing structures, inside and out.  Did you know you can build a gate inside the top floor of a piano house???  Kinda changes the dynamics of trying to breach the stairway, eh?

I also think I've brought up the possibility of keys before, and interesting strategic aspects of having varying grades of locks, with correspondingly capable assortments of key reproduction machines in different areas of the map.
The Expansion mod project has already showcased buildable walls more akin to wood framed residential cabin construction, with toggleable shutters.

Some of the best uses of current basebuilding are to shore up already defensible areas such as green mountain, or some of the mid-sized gas stations, garage or industrial complexes.  Guard towers can provide access to rooftops, some of which provide very good cover from many angles. Steel awnings at lumbermills being one example.
I've already seen layouts that use redundant compartmentalized bases to confuse and frustrate raiders.  From what I've heard, it can be a successful strategy for protecting the very best loot in a stockpiling groups' coffers, as well as a time sink to increase chances of interrupting the intruders

6 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

The ONE private server that has ONE huge base does NOT think bases are a problem.. it kicks anyone who doesn't agree. So THEY think "their base" is cool - and on a Private server with enforced RULES of behavior - it IS cool).

I'm just curious as to which server you are talking about here.  If it is the one I think, I would highly recommend you go see for yourself, as many of your assumptions are gross exaggerations.

Lots of groups build bases, and nobody cares if you come knock down a wall for access. And much fuckery is written off as giving the benefit of doubt.  Consistent, directed disruption of everyone's progress and "peaceful enjoyment" is eventually investigated, however.
In one fairly recent case, a lot of stuff was dismantled overnight.  Staff response:  Perhaps they were just salvaging the nails for their own use...

22 hours ago, Guy Smiley said:

If the car took any damage from the gunfire that put it in a ruined state, it will despawn in a few minutes

This is one of my biggest complaints about the current state of bases and persistence.  back when i was still playing regularly, I had finally met up with a new survivor a the village; we hung out, chatted a bit with the chief architect, and then went out on a lootrun.

Two minutes later, we hear shots.  I sneak back in and get a vantage point, only to see our architect dead on the ground, and some bastard digging around in our tent full of captured rifles. (Sometimes having a big conspicuous base is the best way to farm loot : P) 
Hastily, I shoot him in the back through the tent door, and once more for good measure.  I start stripping my fallen friend of his nails and other precious belongings, go check on the raider and the tent; and the server crashes/unscheduled restart...

The tent I had dutifully returned to and defended was gone; completely ruined and despawned by two measley 5.56 rounds that I put through the raider. 

Who needs to break into a base, when you can just dump 30 rounds of buckshot or 90 rounds of an AR through the walls..........

Frankly, I'm appalled at the lack of a feedback-focused balancing pass regarding durability and persistence.  Letting the mods overtake the vanilla game in terms of basic viability of core gameplay mechanics is a very curious decision for BI to have made.

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

I'm just curious as to which server you are talking about here.  If it is the one I think, I would highly recommend you go see for yourself, as many of your assumptions are gross exaggerations.

Yes, I'm on the Village quite often in fact - I go under the name there of de Seingalt you just haven't noticed me yet.
The name I use on your fave server is in direct reaction to your posts (my joke)  - you can find it quickly in Wikipedia. 
In fact, the usual reason I'm NOT there is when the server is full and I can't be bother to wait (i.e. pretty often)
Yes, I have read the RULES (a bit) and whenever I'm on I see players kicked with reasonable regularity.  NO, I have not messed in the slightest with the startup private cooperative civilization.

Frankly, GREATLY more to my preference is the Dead by Dawn server 172.96.140.114 - TRY IT - I have a high ping (and play at odd times because I'm transatlantic)  but it runs very smoothly and has a good balance of day/night AND an amazing zombie population that makes every village a REAL event.. and makes the military loot locations scary & virtually hopper proof ( BI should use the technique on public servers)..  & damn, those mil installations are MEMORABLE .. anyone in the USA who wants 1st person Survival and zombie danger should try this place out. Definitely.
Also I can testify the persistence has worked 100% FINE since I started there.
I'd recommend it to anyone. Drop in and check it out.  : Zombies NON-negligable. GOOD place.  Deserves more DARING players looking for the REAL game, and it shall gain a following, at my guess.

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 2

12 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Frankly, GREATLY more to my preference is the Dead by Dawn server 172.96.140.114 - TRY IT - I have a high ping (and play at odd times because I'm transatlantic)  but it runs very smoothly and has a good balance of day/night AND an amazing zombie population that makes every village a REAL event.. and makes the military loot locations scary & virtually hopper proof ( BI should use the technique on public servers)..  & damn, those mil installations are MEMORABLE .. anyone in the USA who wants 1st person Survival and zombie danger should try this place out. Definitely.
Also I can testify the persistence has worked 100% FINE since I started there.
I'd recommend it to anyone. Drop in and check it out.  : Zombies NON-negligable. GOOD place.  Deserves more DARING players looking for the REAL game, and it shall gain a following, at my guess.

You got me, I'll try it when I get back home, cross-atlantic ping bothers me not (been playing After Zero recently, but it is always full with a nasty queue when I try to hop on).

Is it modded or can I join it as is?

Edited by Derleth

45 minutes ago, Derleth said:

You got me, I'll try it when I get back home, cross-atlantic ping bothers me not (been playing After Zero recently, but it is always full with a nasty queue when I try to hop on).

Is it modded or can I join it as is?

Its a mod ("slight" & intelligent mod) .. no rules .. what you will notice is that the zombies turn any standard (non-event) house to house village loot search into something you need to be CAREFUL about.. they are just orthodox zombs, but that server has put the right number of them back into the game, to make an "uneventful ordinary" session into one that definitely keeps you alert.. and the mil bases are IMO just crazy. I'm FEARFUL to go in there, even with NO other players around. You'd need a team, or need to be PLENTY gunned up.
It's a 1st person private shard, so you need a character for that server alone. AND so you start on the beach. It's worth it and you'll go back there. If you want to discuss it, or make suggestions - @Guy Smiley is THE MAN. He appreciates mail comments.
< Ive found no probs playing with a ping of 170 and over, it's smooth, (sometimes a slight 1 second pause (max) say every 40 mins? - playing from France), persistence has worked beautifully 100% since I started. Zero probs punching out with zombs at that ping. Low pop right now, but I think it will build up as word gets around. Sneaking is GOOD tactics even when you get close to a town or roadblock. Mil weapons are difficult to get hold of - I go with a pump shotgun and a hand axe and knuckedusters. Makes a great change from the daily vanilla DayZ.
Have to check what distance I can CRAWL past zombs on this server, but I don't want to be caught by 3 of them while I'm lying on my face, ya know?

if your not a first person fan, put the free head move on a key by your movement keys, it works as long as you hold it down, then looks ahead when you release it, so you can look all around easily as you move. 

p.s. I'd dearly like to see someone TRY to build a fort round the front of a police station on THIS server.

enjoy

Edited by pilgrim*

2 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Its a mod ("slight" & intelligent mod) .. no rules .. what you will notice is that the zombies turn any standard (non-event) house to house village loot search into something you need to be CAREFUL about.. they are just orthodox zombs, but that server has put the right number of them back into the game, to make an "uneventful ordinary" session into one that definitely keeps you alert.. and the mil bases are IMO just crazy. I'm FEARFUL to go in there, even with NO other players around. You'd need a team, or need to be PLENTY gunned up.
It's a 1st person private shard, so you need a character for that server alone. AND so you start on the beach. It's worth it and you'll go back there. If you want to discuss it, or make suggestions - @Guy Smiley is THE MAN. He appreciates mail comments.
< Ive found no probs playing with a ping of 170 and over, it's smooth, (sometimes a slight 1 second pause (max) say every 40 mins? - playing from France), persistence has worked beautifully 100% since I started. Zero probs punching out with zombs at that ping. Low pop right now, but I think it will build up as word gets around. Sneaking is GOOD tactics even when you get close to a town or roadblock. Mil weapons are difficult to get hold of - I go with a pump shotgun and a hand axe and knuckedusters. Makes a great change from the daily vanilla DayZ.
Have to check what distance I can CRAWL past zombs on this server, but I don't want to be caught by 3 of them while I'm lying on my face, ya know?

if your not a first person fan, put the free head move on a key by your movement keys, it works as long as you hold it down, then looks ahead when you release it, so you can look all around easily as you move. 

enjoy

Sounds like exactly the kind of place I want, thanks! As for 1PP I've gotten used to it, I still prefer to be able to shift back and forth as I please but I don't get that claustrophobic sensation in 1PP anymore.

• Beans 1

I'd have to go back and find the original thread where bases and helicopters along with some other fuckery was being announced... and I figured that would be the end for me. I loved the idea of what DayZ was and what other games weren't... I wasn't at all interested in seeing it try and do things that other titles were already doing. 

Bases are in and yet I'm still here- but their implementation has been so irrelevant it was just another check in the box:

1) Find a heli crash. Check.

2) Build a fire. Check.

3) Wear a pea coat. Check.

4) Build a base. Check.

5) Steal a car full of M4s. Check.

Between being excruciatingly vulnerable and serving no purpose than to store gear that we've been told religiously to not become attached to... the adding of bases has been completely unremarkable. 

It's paradoxical in that on one hand you spend all this time building the thing to store all this gear you're not supposed to give a shit about for various reasons... so it should mean that you don't care if someone breaks in and sacs the whole place. But it isn't just about the gear- it's about being able to declare that small section of map as your own. If you build it right... this should be the case. If you had walls that enclosed a certain space on a map I can't imagine it would be difficult to input a script that excluded that part of the map from people spawning into- preventing ghosting on the official pubs. 

People argue that we have tools and that's what tools are for but the maps are filled with windows you can't break with a fucking sledgehammer so... yeah. Let's maybe balance some of this out.

Edited by eno
  • Like 1
  • Beans 1

On 2/23/2019 at 2:26 PM, eno said:

A person can run from the coast to Tisy, hop servers and be fully geared to the satisfaction of a large percentage of the player base and back to the coast in about 3 hours. It takes half a dozen people 3 hours just to find 6 boxes of nails... And at least that much or more to get a car built and keep it on the greasy side.

Feels bad when I've found like 10 boxes of nails in about an hour. RNG plus getting used to the kind of areas they spawn in has helped in my case.

On that not I have been across the entire map and to every major town and not seen a single wheel for any vehicle. It's just how it goes.

I personally feel base building and cars are a waste of time unless you're playing on official servers with like 10 friends to help out. Saying that I've fixed up cars back in alpha and it does feel great to have a car on DayZ and to wizz around the map without a care for your safety.

Edited by Manamosy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Manamosy said:

...it does feel great to have a car on DayZ and to wizz around the map without a care for your safety.

Oh cars come with their share of challenges. I touched one the other day my friend cam to pick me up and almost died. Started throwing me up in the air... I was just trying to open the door...

Meanwhile on his way to get me it starts orbiting itself like a satelite, glitching through terrain multiple times. What a stupid mess. 

On your other point Items certainly seem to show up in waves...

On 2/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, pilgrim* said:

Nice - public shard server or private ? do you let any player log on ?
Got an address for it ?

Vanilla server on Community/Public, called Pumpkins and Pistols. Anyone is welcome and the server is daytime only.

On 2/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, Guy Smiley said:

Modded or vanilla?

Vanilla server on Community/Public, Pumpkins and Pistols.