Evilsausage

Who actually build bases and repair cars?

30 minutes ago, Parazight said:

.. // ..

Great reply, thanx

<< Dean Hall's naive approach of creating a social experiment out of an ARMA mod is/was simply adorable >>

ah.. you touched my heart there

live long and prosper .. ya know .. why is the Force like Gaffer Tape .. whatever

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 1

17 hours ago, hemmo said:

You are trying to state an endgame in a sandbox game. I tell you, it isnt going to work. 

Please reply on my earlier question please.

I don't know why people keep getting hung up on the damn Endgame therm. Yes I know its a Sandbox game, when I'm saying endgame I'm not comparing it to the Endgame in Diablo or some shit. 

But I'm just saying that you aren't building a base as a fresh spawn or hunting military geared players with your steak knife. Its stuff you usually do when you have gotten a bit established on the server. 

The issue is that basebuilding and vehicles are features the devs no doubt have spent alot of time on. Yet very few bothers with it. Its fucking basic game design 101 to then ask....maybe....maybe....if it got a few tweaks more people would find it worth doing? Yes its a sandbox game, but people still need reasons to do certain things. You can technically spend the game picking mushrooms only and yeah its a option. But I think most people would't really consider doing that. Having a couple solid options would help DayZs longevity. 

I don't really understand why some people are gonna argue no matter what. Can anyone seriously state cars and base building is just fine? Seriously? It can't be better then this? Low exepectations isn't exactly gonna help DayZ developing in the right direction. 

Your question, what was the question? 

• Beans 1

Because you don't need to build a base to survive.  You don't need a car to survive.  Those are just fun little meta projects to do while you try and "survive" in this "sandbox" game

Edited by Guy Smiley
  • Beans 1

10 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

I don't know why people keep getting hung up on the damn Endgame therm. Yes I know its a Sandbox game, when I'm saying endgame I'm not comparing it to the Endgame in Diablo or some shit. 

But I'm just saying that you aren't building a base as a fresh spawn or hunting military geared players with your steak knife. Its stuff you usually do when you have gotten a bit established on the server. 

The issue is that basebuilding and vehicles are features the devs no doubt have spent alot of time on. Yet very few bothers with it. Its fucking basic game design 101 to then ask....maybe....maybe....if it got a few tweaks more people would find it worth doing? Yes its a sandbox game, but people still need reasons to do certain things. You can technically spend the game picking mushrooms only and yeah its a option. But I think most people would't really consider doing that. Having a couple solid options would help DayZs longevity. 

I don't really understand why some people are gonna argue no matter what. Can anyone seriously state cars and base building is just fine? Seriously? It can't be better then this? Low exepectations isn't exactly gonna help DayZ developing in the right direction. 

Your question, what was the question? 

It is exacly at this point where your endgame assumption is wrong. Building bases and cars is not an endgame thing to do, but maybe something you do on the side? With friends or maybe alone. Or maybe you do decide for the mushroom collecting, happen to stumble into a boar and decide to make some tanned cloathing. Afterwhich you end up in nwaf as you got lost finding tanned leather. So you decide to zip trough the tents and find 2 death body and you got yourselve 2 SVD's. After which you decide to go to cherno but you get in a firefight in pavlovo and die horribly in a big ball of fire..

I'm just saying', maybe its about the mindset instead of your idea of endgame?

Probably if you feel you have reached the endgame in DsyZ, its probably because you play too safe, too much or your mood / mindset isnt positive.

So tell me, whats your endgame today? 🙂

Never ending game, when BI ends support the files will be out  there, and people will be playing dayz for a long time after that.

You have to remember that this year is when all the development of the new dayz standalone got into full swing. 

and yes i fix cars and build bases.

Edited by green_mtn_grandbob
add text
  • Beans 1

19 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

^^^Yup, so much this^^^  And in doing so, some are making ontological contortions to be what I would believe is contrarianism for the sake distraction.

End game in an RTS is when you unlock all the units, or enough units to effectively win.  Endgame in a racing game is when you unlock the best cars and upgrades.  Endgame in an RPG is when you level up to near the maximum and unlock advanced abilities.
Can we all just agree that endgame is a generic term that generally means achieving a level of capability and sophistication that is in the 85th to 100th percentile of capabilities based on the maximums offered by the game?  You know, the point of diminishing returns...
Since DayZ has persistence, and items are used to aid in survival, it is not an inductive leap to call endgame when a character has persistently stored at least 85% of the items in the game.  If you are fine with stashes even if full-on basebuilding works, fine, you have nothing to add here, right?  

Can we please just leave it at that, for the sake of argument?

This is starting to remind me of that kid on the spectrum in high school who would come up with an awkwardly worded exception to anything the teacher was trying to say; that while perhaps technically true, is a fringe case, and offers nothing but a distraction fro the discussion at hand.

I think anyone who tries to and wants to use basebuilding and vehicles can agree that the problem is VERY simply stated.  The ROI is vastly out of balance.

Cars take hours to assemble, and often seconds to destroy.  Sometimes they'll kill you just trying to get in.  Desynch can ruin your day of driving in 5 seconds without warning.  Bullets are also a fair bit more capable of disabling cars than would be fair, even if easily built.  That's about it right?
Bases similarly take a large amount of time to assemble.  And a partially built base can be easily DESPAWNED in the time it takes you to drive back to the lumber mill and return with more materials.  A tent can be completely ruined by a couple bullets, and will disappear at the next server restart.

So at the core of things, cars and bases lack a balance of durability.  Everything else is just getting in the weeds for the sake of making discussion difficult.

Edited by emuthreat
  • Beans 3

1 hour ago, emuthreat said:

some are making ontological contortions to be what I would believe is contrarianism for the sake distraction

lol

Edited by pilgrim*

Oh building a base is tedious and time consuming huh?  Putting a car together is tedious and time consuming huh?  Well, I guess you haven't figured out that you're not suppose have a car within the first 15-30 mins of the game.  You're not suppose to have a giant fortress castle within the first 15-30 minutes of the game.  What you label as tedious and not enjoyable is actually fun an and enjoyable for others.  If you don't like how they did base building and car building, then don't do it.  Just because you don't have the "time or patience" to be bothered with it doesn't mean it's poorly designed.  Jesus, it's take 1 spark plug, a car battery, a radiator, some oil, some water, some gas and possibly 1-4 tires to have a car up and running.  Everything can easily be found in garages and industrial areas.  Tires can also be taken from other vehicles.   If that's too much for you to do, then I would suggest finding an easier game to play

• Thanks 2
  • Beans 1

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

End game in an RTS is when you unlock all the units, or enough units to effectively win.  Endgame in a racing game is when you unlock the best cars and upgrades.  Endgame in an RPG is when you level up to near the maximum and unlock advanced abilities.
Can we all just agree that endgame is a generic term that generally means achieving a level of capability and sophistication that is in the 85th to 100th percentile of capabilities based on the maximums offered by the game?  You know, the point of diminishing returns

i would agree with ur statementthat endgame is different in all of these situations.  I would even agree that this is a stupid arguement.  but instead of it being the kid coming up with random what ifs in class its actually a few of yhe stupid kids beong explained by the teacher 10000 times and still not getting it. 

the diehard fans here are being aggravated by the term endgame being used at all.  all of your examples are of games that have an endgame goal.  the only goal in dayz that is static across all characters and all players is not dieing.  therefor the only endgame would be to die.  everything else is just things to do while you are fighting to avoid getting to endgame.   

a mushroom collecter isnt at endgame when he gets all the mushrooms because he still has to find something to do untill he dies.  therefor having 85% of the mushrooms would still not be endgame for him.  

not to mention there is no diminishing returns in dayz as you are either alive.... or dead

• Beans 1

4 hours ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

not to mention there is no diminishing returns in dayz as you are either alive.... or dead

I would have to disagree here.  But this comes with the assumption that a player is interested in using all of the mechanics and faculties of the game to the fullest extent.  Though even a mushroom picker can run out of space to store mushrooms, and then endgame behavior would be stashing sea chests full of mushrooms.

The point of diminishing returns happens for me when the amount of stuff that I have stored begins taking more time to handle and maintain, than it would to go out and find new.  At least this is how it felt in previous patches when I was interested in testing the CLE behaviors.
Lets say that my endgame point starts when I have no material wants, no motivators provided by the PVE experience or my aspirations to have enough of everything I could possibly want or need, and little to no time needed in maintenance.

Killing a few deer will supply enough food to run around the map a handful of times; maybe 8 hours supported play without need for food.  Killing a couple dozen deer would cost so much time to prepare and store, that it would effectively prevent me from playing the game.
Repairing and maintaining 2 or 3 vehicles will ensure a pretty good chance of being able to carry out my business and overcome any mishaps with minimal effort.  Attempting to do this with more than 5 vehicles will cause me to spend all my playtime making sure they are where I left them, and in good order, and replacing and repairing losses.
Maintaining a few specimens each, of my 5 favorite guns, and a couple hundred rounds for each, will ensure I can go off and do as I please with whatever kit I want.  Trying to maintain 5 or 10 of each gun will be a never-ending task.
Creating and stocking a dozen or so stashes enables me to drop off extra gear, and regear after death with minimal inconvenience.  Trying to maintain too many stashes can overtake any other activities in the time available to play.

This is the point of diminishing returns.

For me, the point of attempting to do all these things, is to ensure the ability to carry on with whatever I was doing after a death, in the most direct manner possible.
Death does not end my game, death does not end my session, death does not end my mission.  Death is a geographical and material penalty for not paying enough attention or not shooting quick enough or well enough.
Respawn, grab some gear from a stash, carry on with what you were doing, and try to replenish what you took from the stash; preferably not dying again before this is done.

A LOT of people play in this manner.  We know this, because many popular community servers are having serious issues with the loot economy, because the vast majority of the assault rifles are now in buried stashes or well-hidden barrels or tents.  Apparently, the CLE now measures nominal values including stashes and base storage.

With larger bases, the point of diminishing returns is dictated by other players destroying bases with maybe 5% of the time and effort required to create them.  This makes it pretty much inviable.  A large and determined group can maintain a large base, but the act of doing so then completely overtakes the game with defense and rebuilding.
Cars work, sometimes. And even then, it takes a lot of effort to get one working.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was common for people to spend more time repairing a car than they do driving it.

Both of these activities are currently more trouble than they are worth to most players.  Simply put, the investment in time required to use and maintain these assets, is many times the amount of quiet enjoyment a player may expect to get out of them.

15 hours ago, emuthreat said:

some are making ontological contortions to be what I would believe is contrarianism for the sake distraction

On 2/25/2019 at 9:04 PM, emuthreat said:

So what if a borderline illiterate complains about base rape?

* Yeah, those players who don't understand Emuthreat - SCREW THEM *

RUST has better "base build/destroy mechanics" than DayZ - "more balanced"
Players have argued about this HERE since 2012 (basebuilding) and argued about Rust (real example of basebuilding) since 2013

RUST is a "survival game where players gang together in groups "clans" to cooperate on base building.
Then they raid and destroy other groups bases.
That's the game.

Do a Search on "endgame" in THIS forum = 2000 hits going back to 2012
Do a Search on "bases" in THIS forum = 2000 hits going back to 2012
Pretty often you'll find "endgame" and "base" in the SAME sentence ever since 2012  ..  and I sure as SHIT did not put those words there.

After the FIRST 3 years of arguing about bases in DayZ,  Facepunch built a cut and stick mockup of DayZ/DayZ mods ...  with basebuilding in it.
Central to it, it turns out basebuilding is the Main Thing  .. it's a kind of "no choice" scenario.  Join a group build a base or get KoS, sucker

Now in Dayz  players (particularly Xbox) want to have the same "balanced" mechanics for base-building in DayZ as in Rust. FOR THE SAME REASON;
They want bases they can play RUST with.
The "aim" in RUST is to survive long enough to join a group and build a base so you can raid/destroy the bases of other clans.
Group KoS game with Bases

So NOW DayZ wants basebuilding to be balanced ...  to imitate a ripoff copy of DayZ made 4 years ago. 

Get some.

I want to be able to use an empty bean can to boil water so I don't get Cholera.
That makes me an screwed up troll illiterate nihilist.
Because - we don't do that crap in DayZ anymore.

Edited by pilgrim*

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I would have to disagree here.  But this comes with the assumption that a player is interested in using all of the mechanics and faculties of the game to the fullest extent.  Though even a mushroom picker can run out of space to store mushrooms, and then endgame behavior would be stashing sea chests full of mushrooms.

The point of diminishing returns happens for me when the amount of stuff that I have stored begins taking more time to handle and maintain, than it would to go out and find new.  At least this is how it felt in previous patches when I was interested in testing the CLE behaviors.
Lets say that my endgame point starts when I have no material wants, no motivators provided by the PVE experience or my aspirations to have enough of everything I could possibly want or need, and little to no time needed in maintenance.

Killing a few deer will supply enough food to run around the map a handful of times; maybe 8 hours supported play without need for food.  Killing a couple dozen deer would cost so much time to prepare and store, that it would effectively prevent me from playing the game.
Repairing and maintaining 2 or 3 vehicles will ensure a pretty good chance of being able to carry out my business and overcome any mishaps with minimal effort.  Attempting to do this with more than 5 vehicles will cause me to spend all my playtime making sure they are where I left them, and in good order, and replacing and repairing losses.
Maintaining a few specimens each, of my 5 favorite guns, and a couple hundred rounds for each, will ensure I can go off and do as I please with whatever kit I want.  Trying to maintain 5 or 10 of each gun will be a never-ending task.
Creating and stocking a dozen or so stashes enables me to drop off extra gear, and regear after death with minimal inconvenience.  Trying to maintain too many stashes can overtake any other activities in the time available to play.

This is the point of diminishing returns.

For me, the point of attempting to do all these things, is to ensure the ability to carry on with whatever I was doing after a death, in the most direct manner possible.
Death does not end my game, death does not end my session, death does not end my mission.  Death is a geographical and material penalty for not paying enough attention or not shooting quick enough or well enough.
Respawn, grab some gear from a stash, carry on with what you were doing, and try to replenish what you took from the stash; preferably not dying again before this is done.

A LOT of people play in this manner.  We know this, because many popular community servers are having serious issues with the loot economy, because the vast majority of the assault rifles are now in buried stashes or well-hidden barrels or tents.  Apparently, the CLE now measures nominal values including stashes and base storage.

With larger bases, the point of diminishing returns is dictated by other players destroying bases with maybe 5% of the time and effort required to create them.  This makes it pretty much inviable.  A large and determined group can maintain a large base, but the act of doing so then completely overtakes the game with defense and rebuilding.
Cars work, sometimes. And even then, it takes a lot of effort to get one working.  If I had to guess, I'd say it was common for people to spend more time repairing a car than they do driving it.

Both of these activities are currently more trouble than they are worth to most players.  Simply put, the investment in time required to use and maintain these assets, is many times the amount of quiet enjoyment a player may expect to get out of them.

It sounds like the endgame is about materialistic ownership. To have or not to have. This communistic 1980 soviet roeski style is ofc completly ok. But what it does tell me is that ppl are playing by a risk avoiding style. The endgame is to hoard as much as possible, with as less risk as possible to not lose what ppl have.

I somehow understand the current frustration with the current implenmentation. But maybe the endgame is just wrong?

Edited by hemmo
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:
On 2/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, emuthreat said:

* Yeah, those players who don't understand Emuthreat - SCREW THEM *

why all the hostility?  notice how myself and @emuthreat have vastly different viewpoints on the concept of endgame yet we are able to converse about the subject without salt? 

i think in this instance it is all a perspective thing and as we all have different playstyles it will always come down to agreeing to dissagree (hopefully while acknowledging the merit of the opposing viewpoint and respecting the oppinion of the person on the other side of the discussion). 

to be honest i dont particularily dissagree with emu even.  i think we just have different viewpoints on what word should be used to describe the stage of gameplay, which is actually kind of silly.  

if i would compare the situation to real life i would use age maybe. if im understanding correct he is saying endgame would basically be after you are retires and have done all the traveling u can do and all u have left is mowing the lawn and waiting to die.  a more than valid oppinion with incredible merit.  only difference to the oppinion i hold would be that i would push it back to the paliative care stage, because u are still stuck mowing that lawn and waiting.  i guess im just being too technical and saying "it cant be endgame cuz the game isnt over" when he is merely saying (not tryin to put words in ur mouth bro) "the game is basically over, it just has an incredably long end scene"  

to be honest, i dont think anyone is wrong here.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

t i dont particularily dissagree with emu even

Right - Neither do I - I don't disagree with Emu
( we played on the same server for a while, he is one of the 6 people on my Steam friends list )

So why do I disagree with Emu? Answer = I DONT

He is simply ignorant (this is not an insult, it is a literal use of the word) about other playstyles outside his own, and he is derogatory about them. He plays on a special one-off server, which has only ONE base on it. He disses folk who cant understand his (IMO) painfully baroque manner of expressing his opinions.
I prefer Shakespeare myself, or Dylan, or Giacomo Casanovan or Suetonius, or even any Guardian (English Newspaper) Opinions writer or Beowulf in ANY translation or the original, or Hunter S. Thomson, or PLENTY of folk on this forum   - they ALL make sure they are understood by PLEBS and don't pretend to be part of a daft pseudo-cultural elite.

But if that's what floats his boat.. it's cool... it's crap use of English, and it wont be read much, but nobody minds.

I'm saying this as a technical author and editor (with a shitload of bloody experience, a degree in Modern Eng & American Literature, a degree in Philosophy, and a degree in Digital Electronics) sitting in a room with 700 damn favorite books ranged along the wall, not counting another 2700 in digital formats. These are the interesting ones that I have read and kept. I'm not writing to pull weight or be clever because that's a crap thing to do. It pisses me off mightily when people start the I-am-smarter-than-thou snide denigration. Better to say things straight.

NO - reading a lot of books does NOT make me smarter than ANYONE else.  (the only thing it does is make me a minority, and there are PLENTY of those around - I'm just another dude passing by in the street, OK? Let's keep it like that). 

NO I am not a "troll"

YES- I spend time READING what << borderline illiterate >> players WANT TO SAY when they "complain".  I think that people who are not used to writing their opinions include VERY MANY DayZ players. So let's NOT ignore them or deride them. You don't need to speak fancy to play DayZ. They play DayZ their way. They are a VERY significant part of the player base. Specially the players who want to GO ON PLAYING have opinions as useful or as important as yours or mine. 

That seems fair, right ?

I guess the Devs must understand this.

OK - Words go to Emu's head, he doesn't mean half of what he says, he's just impressed by the words he uses.

IMO

So why do I disagree with Emu? Answer = I DONT

- I asked a Question, I did NOT state any opinion. So I do NOT disagree with @emuthreat. - or with anyone else on this thread.

The Question is really simple - I see a problem coming up in DayZ and I WONDERED if any players could suggest a practical solution.

Base building - right now - is a first introduction of an activity to the game. 
Some elements have been added to DayZ from the Arma/Dayz readymade store - like throwing some lego bricks into the game, and tied to crafting actions.
Base building works pretty badly at the moment.

So the question is - how to make basebuilding work WELL, without completely changing the whole gameplay of DayZ ?

Say for instance - (simple example) -  we decide that to break down a plank wall takes 200 blows of an axe - so if someone wants to break that wall they need maybe 10 axes or some way to sharpen the same axe 10 or 15 times, and it will take an hour.  Or they need 10 players each with an axe. That's a lot of work.

So do we want bases that are pretty much invulnerable in DayZ ?
HOW difficult should they be to destroy, section by section, item by item?   Can anyone suggest any FIGURES that do NOT turn the game into a base-against-base Rust-like CLAN game ?  But plenty of folk want that - read the comments (going back for years).

Xbox do NOT have the luxury of private servers, and DayZ on PC is supposed to be the SAME as DayZ on Xbox
.. So HOW do you make bases  that are NOT easy to destroy ?

How do you do that WITHOUT forcing players to join a group to build a base - and then making gang war on the NEXT gang in the next base ?

Because if you want to get to the famous "endgame" (sorry I mention that)  - you MUST join a gang to build a base, to defend it against the next gang in the next base, when you are not attacking the next base with your gang. Because that's what there is to DO when you have strong bases. 

(unless you have a private server, of course  .. or you just have ONE base allowed on your Special server)

I just wondered if anyone had any SUGGESTIONS that were PRACTICAL about this "base" problem, because I can see it coming up, and right now it is an INEVITABLE problem.

IF that's the way DayZ is going (becoming a Rust-like) - then that's FINE by me.  No SWEAT.
Is that what most folk want ?
Or are PC players mainly looking for the best Mods to come out, so they can leave vanilla behind?  (Xbox players cant do that, natch)

OK
See?
It was just a question.

Easy to understand, right ??

In fact - I think most of the players who can UNDERSTAND this question are actually busy building Mods right now, and not listening to the conversation.

Edited by pilgrim*
xxp

my bad bro.  things just seemed to be gettin heated.  i miss the good old days when we were all just as excited as each other and this forum (though there was still arguments) was FULL of positivity.  hell i even remember a time when the diehard forum boys/gals exchanged addresses and shipped all their old parts to each other to build a pc for one of the people on the forum who was unable to play the game.  now the forum reminds me of a menonite soup.  lots of great stuff in it and brings wonderful flavor but god damn is it salty (might not be a good example.  even with all the salt in the broth i usually end up adding a bit when i sot down to eat my bowl)

• Beans 1

40 minutes ago, FunkInYourTrunk said:

my bad bro.  things just seemed to be gettin heated.  i miss the good old days when we were all just as excited as each other and this forum (though there was still arguments) was FULL of positivity.  hell i even remember a time when the diehard forum boys/gals exchanged addresses and shipped all their old parts to each other to build a pc for one of the people on the forum who was unable to play the game

LOVE YOU TOO DUDE - Keep doing it.

• Beans 1

12 hours ago, hemmo said:

It sounds like the endgame is about materialistic ownership. To have or not to have. This communistic 1980 soviet roeski style is ofc completly ok. But what it does tell me is that ppl are playing by a risk avoiding style. The endgame is to hoard as much as possible, with as less risk as possible to not lose what ppl have.

I somehow understand the current frustration with the current implenmentation. But maybe the endgame is just wrong?

I apparently joined the early access around the time of the first implementation of persistence on the SA.  So my experience has only been with a game in which you could stash things and come back for them later.

Many players got used to playing SA in a manner of living only off what you can carry on your back and starting over when you die.  I'm not making any judgements about the value of one playstyle over the other.  But it cannot be argued that one playstyle ignores a set of options pretty central to development efforts over the last few years.
You can play DayZ without accessing any of the things that many would consider endgame.  You can redefine endgame as finding these things and scuttling them.

It's an open sandbox, one can choose to do whatever one wants to do or avoid doing.  But none of that changes the basic facts that persistence and looting are core elements of the sandbox.  Persistently storing loot is an option that provides greater freedom to operate in the sandbox, up to a certain point.
You can choose to live off only what you carry on your back, and play the game as it existed in 2012 through 2014, or you can utilize persistence and base building.  There is no forced dichotomy of choice here, as you can even avoid creating your own storage, and instead make a map of other peoples' bases to leech off of, undetected.

I get it @pilgrim*, and I also do not get it.  The mod had tents.  Mods of the mod that became most popular had basebuilding.  Most sane people in an apocalypse would still follow that core concept of what makes us human, and attempt to modify their environment to ensure greater safety and efficiency in an attempt to thrive.
So I find it difficult to understand why you seemingly question the validity of basebuilding at every turn.

I want advanced cooking, medical, and crafting mechanics as much as anybody.  But you should know better than most, that these things can be scripted into the game, and in many cases, already have been.  So yes, they are spending their energy trying to get the tricky stuff working, like the ability to modify the map.  No surprise.

It is things like this that present me with a dilemma.  Are you being obtuse, or are you obtuse?  Based on experience, I can safely assume the former.  But why... The why always escapes me...

And so what if I don't particularly care about the screaming masses, and can write off an opinion because of poor grammar, spelling, and overall presentation?  If they post it on the internet, they have access to information to do better.
I've met many people with poor spelling and vocabulary, and have hinted or asked them about it in the most gently way possible.  you wanna know what answer I hear so overwhelmingly often that I can take it for granted.  Don't care, don't want to care, can't be bothered, and fuck you for noticing.

Please don't mistake my indifference for hostility.  If someone can't be bothered to spend a little energy making their communication easier to understand for the target audience, who are they to expect anyone to expend extra energy trying to decipher it?  No regrets in that department.  Internet access=as much a chance as anyone else.

Sometimes, I use fancy words when speaking to a certain audience, because I know they will understand them, and that because bombast appears much less rude than stating the obvious in simple terms.  I mean, some things, in plain english, might sound downright offensive...

8 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

How do you do that WITHOUT forcing players to join a group to build a base

I think at a point, it is inevitable that certain things require cooperation, just as in the real world.  Everyone is free to remain solitary in their endeavors, but they will have to work harder to achieve the same result, and may not be able to do certain things at all. I see nothing wrong with this basic truth.

It's just another distraction, to claim that basebuilding need to work as well for one person as for a group of players.

8 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

He is simply ignorant (this is not an insult, it is a literal use of the word) about other playstyles outside his own, and he is derogatory about them.

And you've grossly misjudged my experience and playstyle, if you think I only do the one thing.  It is quite possible to play as a lone vagabond at times, or maintain a small network of personal stashes, and go off on solo hunting missions, and also participate inn a larger cooperative project.  They are not mutually exclusive.
I just happen to get bored by doing things alone, and prefer a greater challenge.  Just because I enthusiastically main one server for over a year, does not reduce my experiences from playing other styles.  I've spent just as much time solo tent hunting and and trying to survive laps around the map hitting all the military bases.

I'd hate to start a new argument by suggesting that their is a heirarchy of complexity to different playstyles, and that the most complex includes elements of all the less complex.  But well, that is true, and there is no sense in denying it.  The only real difference is higher volume and higher risk.

But none of this has anything to do with the fact that bases are too easy to destroy, modders have already fixed it in a number of different ways, and BI is lagging behind on making their own game work in the way that it should.

• Beans 3

I don't build bases as I play alone and that shit would take way too long to be worth it for me. Not to mention all it does it makes it easier to find as it stands out so much more than a few tents hidden in bushes with camo nets on them(which is what I do).

I Also don't build cars due to how fucking buggy they are right now. Literally have seen only 1 car that wasn't sunken into the ground half way up it's windows. The one I did find belonged to someone and was hidden between some trees, which I ran in to on my way to a town(thanks for the cereal and 7.62 ammo). Once cars are no longer a deathtrap and aren't prone to creating quicksand(1.0 my fucking ass), I'll gladly put in the time to put together a car as some of the distances are pretty gnarly to walk.

I've been car hunting with a buddy and he's been getting frustrated with some of the small technicalities that can and have been happening whilst getting our cars running.  I've already lost 4.  One to a tree at 110 km/h.  Another because I didn't add enough oil to it and the engine went red.  The third was more my fault as I thought I had come to a complete stop before alt-tabbing and when I came back to the game, I was rolling towards stream and before I could react the car rolled sideways at the edge of the stream and knocked me out briefly.  The fourth one kind of pisses me off.  Was driving down the highway up north and was going to pick up my buddy when I all of a sudden got kicked due to high ping.  Come back, the car is stuck on a rock, radiator is pooched but the car is fine.  I ruined the rad trying to get the car unstuck without success.

I have discovered that once the engine does turn red, there is no point on going out to try and find enough oil again to fill the car as it will despawn with a minute or so.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, Evilsausage said:

But atleast to me it feels like 98% of the players don't bother with this feature. I know both cars and basebuilding is wonky, but ffs its 1.0. Can't this be balanced properly?  This is supposed to be a major part of the endgame, isn't it a massive failure if barely anyone bothers with it?  How many more years are we gonna have to wait for the game to be conciderd finished?

It just depends on what kind of a player are you.

In my opinion, your feeling that 98% of the players don't bother to build - is right, because this is being designed as a secondary feature.

While apparently, the first feature is combat.

If you'll build a base, this is what you should expect:

1. The more items you keep - The more emotional stress you get. Everyday you leave your base out there, "locked" and unmanned while you're offline, you'll think about it all the time and pray no one found it already.

2. Great feeling of accomplishment. But prepare yourself for technical disappointments and frustrations on the way.

3. Having a self-sustained base that provides you some basic security, especially when having wolves in your area is great. I only wish there were more wild predators out there.

4. Hunt some animals, make a garden plot, make a fire, roast the vegi's - and that's your endgame. Game Over in 3 days.

So, why is this boring? and why most of the players just skip that part ? Because they just don't need it.

1. Your character doesn't carry any real sign of being a long-time survivor. Your character have a beard - but it has 2 modes: no beard OR a seven-days-without-shaving-beard.

2. The environment doesn't really affect you. Not in way that urges you to find any shelter at any time. Not talking just about body temp..

3. Stashing and building causes lags, BUT, I can't say anything bad about persistence - never lost a single thing.

4. You have TONS of food where there should be NONE. A post-apocalyptic world will hold like 10 cans of .. anything, all over, after a few months only. Also, the zombies will bring you food if you'll ask them. Oh, and they bring you axes too! My point is - you will never starve to death, your strength has nothing to do with your health (BUT! you have vitamins! + hospitals and what-nots).

What's left to do? Guns.

Nothing to shoot? Here are some un-related zombies for you.

See you next year... OR Have some fun now

:)

I’ve been playing this game since it’s release on Xbox, and have followed the game from the SA on.

The addition of cars and base building certainly adds some variety to the survival aspect. That’s not to say whether or not it’s needed, or one should partake in those activities, only that it’s there to dabble in.

I agree that the buildings should be more difficult to destroy, given how much effort goes into creating them.

Cars are another feature, while currently quite buggy, offers a change of pace.

My friend and I spent around 5 hours finding all the parts for a car we found up north. 

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695623

After finishing the build, we fueled up and headed to an undisclosed location to try out the building.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695635

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695637

Once there my friend had to leave, so I spent another 4 hours collecting axes, nails, and all the other essentials to try out building.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695651

Another hour or two had passed by this point. I went back to the car where I stashed it to sort out my items.

It was then that I heard a soft rusting close by. Quickly exiting the inventory I turned to see a fully geared player raising his M4 at me. I turn and run around the car pulling out my rifle as we exchange gunfire. He then runs off into the woods as I try to flank around, bandaging in between. 

As I made my way back to my base location I noticed it.. My beautiful car had been stolen. It would seem he had a spare plug. 

At first I was rather disappointed. All that time spent, gone. However, that feeling subsided, giving way to a feeling of relief. The burden of watching over the car was absent, and it felt good. We still had the satisfaction of finishing the job, and enjoying the car (when it wasn’t bugging out).

Hell, we could decide to go looking for it if we want to. Although, it’s likely they’ll suffer the same fate as I, if they haven’t already.

As is the way in DayZ.

20 minutes ago, Nayte said:

I’ve been playing this game since it’s release on Xbox, and have followed the game from the SA on.

The addition of cars and base building certainly adds some variety to the survival aspect. That’s not to say whether or not it’s needed, or one should partake in those activities, only that it’s there to dabble in.

I agree that the buildings should be more difficult to destroy, given how much effort goes into creating them.

Cars are another feature, while currently quite buggy, offers a change of pace.

My friend and I spent around 5 hours finding all the parts for a car we found up north. 

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695623

After finishing the build, we fueled up and headed to an undisclosed location to try out the building.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695635

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695637

Once there my friend had to leave, so I spent another 4 hours collecting axes, nails, and all the other essentials to try out building.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/nayte/screenshot/11695651

Another hour or two had passed by this point. I went back to the car where I stashed it to sort out my items.

It was then that I heard a soft rusting close by. Quickly exiting the inventory I turned to see a fully geared player raising his M4 at me. I turn and run around the car pulling out my rifle as we exchange gunfire. He then runs off into the woods as I try to flank around, bandaging in between. 

As I made my way back to my base location I noticed it.. My beautiful car had been stolen. It would seem he had a spare plug. 

At first I was rather disappointed. All that time spent, gone. However, that feeling subsided, giving way to a feeling of relief. The burden of watching over the car was absent, and it felt good. We still had the satisfaction of finishing the job, and enjoying the car (when it wasn’t bugging out).

Hell, we could decide to go looking for it if we want to. Although, it’s likely they’ll suffer the same fate as I, if they haven’t already.

As is the way in DayZ.

If the car took any damage from the gunfire that put it in a ruined state, it will despawn in a few minutes

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

If the car took any damage from the gunfire that put it in a ruined state, it will despawn in a few minutes

Ah, that very well could be it, as I’m still learning the limits of what the car can handle.

I don’t recall hearing shots hitting the car, though who knows amongst all the chaos.

Thanks for the info on how weak the car is. I enjoy browsing the PC side, as you guys absolutely have the knowledge.