Evilsausage

Who actually build bases and repair cars?

9 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

But they listen to the people yelling and screaming the loudest, hence why we got base building instead of fortification.  Instead of working on survival, they are adding more guns.  The weather system is completely borked.  It's been raining off and on in my server but today is the first time I've gotten wet and cold from it but, you know, guns

This isn't the problem at all.  Barricading is going to require a lot of work where basebuilding has been in the works for many, many years.  Survival aspects rely on server performance where guns already have the standard assets ready for implementation.

The biggest focus is server performance which is why its been the main topic of discussion for experimental patches.

Edited by gorvi

20 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

This is supposed to be a major part of the endgame

20 hours ago, Evilsausage said:

once I get decent endgame weapons I just use that time to hunt players

My only problem with this thread is  = ENDGAME = .. what the hell is that ?

Seems to me that many players are gagging to start Engame as soon as they log in. That's what they want, that's what they CALL IT. They boast that it takes half an hour to gear up. Half an hour to reach ENDGAME ?
So - log in - get food - gear up - mil gear and "endgame" weapons -   then.. er .. get a car build a fort.. that's the Endgame.
This is your first play session, an hour into DayZ and you are in "Endgame"
.. nah.. that's PUBG not DAYZ
An hour into the game and you have "done everything"  ??

well, maybe you've done everything but you aint played DayZ a lot

Ive spent dozens or hundreds of hours in DayZ with a non-military rifle.. Ive spent whole days of play without ever going near a military high loot area..

So what the EF is this Endgame ?? - is the "Engame" when you Stop Playing DayZ because you finished it ?? - Is this when you get your STEAM DayZ Endgame Achievement Medal ??

Seems to ME - IMO- IMO -
That lots of folk have a Totally Screwed Up Idea of what this game's about.

In DayZ there has been a REAL Endgame right from the start of the Mod, always the same endgame. It's the black screen you get when you die - There is NO OTHER Endgame in DayZ.
How you get to die in DayZ is completely up to you (if you want to play your screwed up ideas - go right ahead, just don't tell me that is what the game is BUILT for).
Go the mil weapons way to Death, go the backwoods way to Death
Take your pants off on the beach and read the bible and find Death
Sit in your fort until Death comes for you
whatever

If you think there is some kind of get-there-if-you-can Engame in DayZ you are playing it wrong.

• Beans 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

My only problem with this thread is  = ENDGAME = .. what the hell is that ?

I always thought that you've reached the endgame as soon as you respawn.  There is no progression of any kind.  Either you're dead or you're not dead. It's an MMO, right? There's no linear path, there's no permadeath and the best loot walks on two legs in kamy.  Loot is insignificant, imo, so the endgame doesn't really exist.  There's just things to do.  Hence, open world sandbox.

• Beans 1

For me, as a solo player, the only reason to base build is to have somewhere to stash items. Repairing cars is just a means to an end.

I certainly don't want to create some sort of fortified base or a car pool of vehicles.

• Beans 1

14 hours ago, Parazight said:

How do you know this?  Where are you getting your metrics?

I do not possess any statistics, I can only talk out of my own personal experiance. But when I played the DayZ mod, bases where quite a common thing to find. 

Here I have so far not seen any traces of it. (not counting a few tents).  Who knows maybe my server is just unusually barren. But I doubt it. Think you and your friends is a small % that bothers with it. 

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

If you think there is some kind of get-there-if-you-can Engame in DayZ you are playing it wrong.

I guess you have a point, DayZ has no specific endgame. But usually there is a typical way most players seam to play. 

Fresh spawn loot towns and move inland. Then begin upgrading weapons by looting military areas. At a certain point they don't really need more loot and alot of them choose to hunt players. Thats why I refered to it as Endgame. Because you get to a point when you have most of the equipment you need. This is when people usually look for pvp and some few choose to repair cars or build bases etc...

Now I'm sure there is some dude that only play DayZ by picking mushrooms in the forest. And they have fun with that. But the average player usually doesn't bother doing that. 

Endgame to me is just a term I’ve seen used to describe something that you need to prepare for to achieve- more so than anything else in the game... The game isn’t over- but once you’ve started building a base it’s hard to stop... you’re always going to be adding or removing or adjusting to it- or you’re not. In which case maybe endgame isn’t the word I would use.

It is a subjective definition- and mine will be different than others... or not. I’m not sure it’s worth standing up on a soap box to try and invalidate- the definition or an entire community’s play style if it doesn’t fit your own. 

Establishing a base should be hard- and it is to a holy fuck degree level of tediousness. It is the hardest thing in the game... To me. That is what I spend my time preparing for, doing and protecting and while I do other “things” is in effect my endgame activity.

Getting into bases should be even harder- and should be something that takes some time to plan for beyond a couple sledge hammers. 

@pilgrim* if you have another word for whatever that is- then you go ahead and use it but endgame fits for me.

Edited by eno

2 hours ago, eno said:

Establishing a base should be hard- and it is to a holy fuck degree level of tediousness. It is the hardest thing in the game... To me. That is what I spend my time preparing for, doing and protecting and while I do other “things” is in effect my endgame activity.

Getting into bases should be even harder- and should be something that takes some time to plan for beyond a couple sledge hammers. 

Problem

The only reason to build a base is to attract unfriendly enemy players, and to defend yourselves from them
But you are not logged in 24/7

if it takes you 30 hours to build a base, and only a few hours or less to break in
- people can break in before the base is finished or secure (unless you play 30h non-stop)
- people can break in when you are logged out

* If it is easier to break in/destroy  than to build - then players will break in/destroy when you are not around

If it takes you 20 hours to build a base and MORE than 20 hours to break in - no one is going to bother breaking in - so you have an invulnerable base
Then when you have an invulnerable base, what do you do with it? - go break in to other people's invulnerable bases (lol) ?

* If it is more difficult to break in & destroy than to build - then players will not bother

Outsider enemy players will throw grenades in, snipe you when you are in there, shoot you when you move in or out - they know where your base is and know where are the entrances and exits you must use.

If you are killed when you have built a base, is it still your base? Does it belong to whoever gets in there? Can it belong to a group?

If the base materials (a wall) take "a long time" to be destroyed by axe or hammer - can they be destroyed by gunfire, by explosives, can a gate be broken open by ramming with a truck? 

How do you lock your "almost invulnerable" base? Does it have one owner? Can ownership change hands? Can it be captured by an enemy?

ALL this  HAS TO create a special "Base Game" - a kind of mini-game inside DayZ - but ATM it has no rules at all, and no one has thought of a reason or a purpose for it, so it is ATM impossible to balance.. no one knows what it is for.. how does it in any way fit into DayZ gameplay except for storing stuff (in an obvious easy to find place) and "looking cool"

I think a bunch of kids said "WOW it would be great to have a TREE HOUSE.. eh.. I mean.. A BASE in DAYZ.. WOW.. then we can fight and be ultra-cool in our BASE and it will look really cool.. totally..

And that's about as FAR as the plan goes.

Maybe bases are so folk can play CAPTURE THE FLAG against each other, in teams?  But that game doesn't actually - right now - exist in DayZ.   Me, I can not even imagine what bases are for? or what they COULD be for? or HOW they would work?   Will need a LOT of game rules and it will turn DayZ inside out to make them work.  Perhaps they are only there for the modders and for private clan servers?

If anyone can TELL me what bases are actually FOR in the game - what are the in-game dynamics, what is the possible DayZ purpose and mechanics of Base Building.. WHERE do they fit into the Gameplay?  - then it would be easy to structure a SET OF RULES governing the basebuilding mini game

But ATM no one has even one idea of what a string of barbed wire or a gateway or a watchtower is FOR

Like - Anyone who builds a watchtower and climbs up it and sits up there imagining that they are in ANY WAY at an ADVANTAGE , is totally damn CRAZY.. - wow !!!

right ??

Edited by pilgrim*

43 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

If anyone can TELL me what bases are actually FOR in the game - what are the in-game dynamics, what is the possible DayZ purpose and mechanics of Base Building.. WHERE do they fit into the Gameplay?  - then it would be easy to structure a SET OF RULES governing the basebuilding mini game

Because it was demanded.  Because Epoch had it so DayZ must have it and be Epoch.  There was absolutely zero reason for them to add the base building we have in favor of making camps with tents and creating shoddy walls to go around the camp.  I mean, who in the hell is going to build guard towers in favor of fixing up already made structures and barricading them when things go to shit?  *facepalm*

• Beans 1

49 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

If anyone can TELL me what bases are actually FOR in the game

Bases are for time sinks.  Bases are for a place to store your things and grow your gardens.  They are definitely NOT for holding a position against an enemy.  Hopefully people don't find them and destroy them when you're not there.  By no means are they secure at all.  If you treat them like they're secure, then you've already lost.

Locks are pointless.  A person can build a ladder by crafting fireplaces and scale vertically very easily.

714428613ECA4A09B4FFCD0721599B2A61ECBFB2

Additionally, you can't secure cars in bases because people can just shoot all of your cars.

Edited by Parazight
  • Beans 1

I build bases (tents) to store stuff, and am now building some walls to keep the wolves out .. . .  ( I found three boxes of nails ...) I thought  why not  . .

I lost one tent with stuff to persistence, but so far so good for the others.

Only problem with this base is, I struggle to find it sometimes . . . .

• Beans 1

base dont give you anything what you can achieve with few barrels and tent in some hiding place.

inside bases,there should be some greater benefit...
decrease wells from chernarus but add new constuct....well on your base.
make farming in middle of nowhere very time consuming and hard but inside base....more food from crops and faster growing.
add new status....mental health.
low mental health makes you get disease more easily...little bit lower stamina.
inside base you can ingrease your mental health.

and certaibn things should be on that game identifies your base as actual base.
electricity,well ,farmfield,fences,locked gate etc...
but now,base is just"hey im here,gun kill me and take my stuff"

Edited by kopo79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim* said:

Base elements are used to deny other players access to certain areas of the map, and to allow yourself access to other areas of the map for strategic defense of a static location.

Walls can be used to augment existing walls, by blocking the gaps.  In a few choice areas, you can secure tens of thousands of square footage with multiple defensible structures with only a handful of built walls.
Within these walled compounds, there are building with rooftops, many inaccessible without ladders.  You know what's a safer way than a ladder to scale a building?  Stairs.  Kinda like the stairs they have on watchtowers.  Now you no longer need to lock yourself into an animation to climb on top of a building to see or shoot outside your walls.

I know you will argue in circles what is the point of doing all this, but at this point you are just being cynical and dishonest.  You know the purpose, you just don't agree with it as a playstyle.  Sometimes people like to form groups and find a place to hang out.  Bases are good for this, as they give you a bit of an extra buffer from attacks.

If you really don't understand the point of bases, go play on the village, go find the village, go defend  the village; as it invariably gets attacked daily once people come to know the location.  Now you might ask why, why would any person with more than two beans between his ears want to create a place for others to come and kill them?
It's because some people play the game for the experiences they have between killscreens, and they like to share those with others.  Some people enjoy the challenge of trying to defend an area indefinitely.  And everyone enjoys the debauchery of a dozen or more players in the same place, and the chaos that ensues when bullets start flying.

You may as well be asking what is the point of buses, as a moped will transport you just fine.  What is the point of a bench, as a stool does the same thing for less resources.  What is the point of friends, as a face drawn on a volleyball will serve the purpose as well...

Your entire assessment of basebuilding is flawed, in that it is based on an autocentric value system, in which player contact is to be avoided.  In short, you views on bases are unnecessary, and unhelpful, because your preference of playstyle is solitary and transient.  Good day, sir.

• Beans 5

Right on glad everyone is having so much fun with base building and cars.  I remember the day they worked in .48 and on. Bases we used fire pits to block the doors.

So i am happy everything is working as intended.

Fing joke.

Base building is fun and a nice time sink. However, it is poorly balanced. Items needed for base building are too rare and to break into a base is too simple. I have a completed base now and I do not even repair one wall anymore as people destroy the lower wall and then can just crawl through the lower wooden frame to get inside. People literally only need one badly damaged hatchet to destroy one single part of a wall to get inside. And nobody is going to build additional wall layers due to the insane amount of time it will take. Therefore it is pretty useless to store any items in a base, even when it is just crap. Griefers will just ruin your tent and barrel so it de-spawns.

Edited by amadieus
  • Like 2

I would much rather see that there was some kind of explosvies that could be used to blow up walls. However it is super rare and when you detonate it everyone will hear that shit for a long distance. Increasing the chance other players will also come there aswell.
Just needing an axe to break in feels too simple.

Aug.2014 ... Grenades vs. Walls

Edited by Sqeezorz

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

I know you will argue in circles what is the point of doing all this

4 hours ago, emuthreat said:

at this point you are just being cynical and dishonest

duh ?  ..  Get some

.. << What is the point of friends, as a face drawn on a volleyball will serve the purpose as well >> ...

wow .. what's the point of dayz when you can play pokemon just as well ??  ..

what's the advantage of having a watchtower when you're logged out ?

in your dreams
                      o

try and be a teeny-weeny bit serious Emu this is a discussion - get real ?

Edited by pilgrim*

19 minutes ago, Sqeezorz said:

Aug.2014 ... Grenades vs. Walls

12 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Cool I would like grenades in the game, to flush people out of buildings. But not for blowing up walls. Think C4 fits that role better. 

If the game is supposed to be realistic, then grenades cause very little destruction. Unlike the typical hollywood movie where they expload buildings. Grenades have a very small amount of explosives, its the shrapnel that is deadly. 

9 hours ago, eno said:

The game isn’t over- but once you’ve started building a base it’s hard to stop

So you see DayZ as a base-building game ?

There are already a few on the market.

2 hours ago, amadieus said:

People literally only need one badly damaged hatchet to destroy one single part of a wall to get inside

Use barbed wire to protect your walls. At least they'll need pliers too.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

So you see DayZ as a base-building game ?

There are already a few on the market.

Holy fuck dude... you're amazing. 

I give up. 

Edited by eno
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, eno said:

Holy fuck dude... you're amazing. 

I give up. 

was an entirely  serious question - you ask "what term should replace "endgame"?  - then you tell us that endgame (which is not a word I invented or like) is in fact "base building"
so we define "endgame" as "basebuilding" - cut to the chase, bottom line = DayZ is a basebuilding game.
I'd rather call it "a game where you survive until you die" - this is how it was conceived IMO

You tell us the basebuilding is ineffectual and needs better rules - it needs a FUNCTIONAL place in the game.
@Emuthreat tells us it is already SUPERBLY functional

When I point this out - you BOTH get pissed off

- on Xbox, wrecking bases has taken over from KOS as the most fun thing to do -  and it's easier to do, the players you mess with don't have to be online. Xbox players have started calling it "base rape" I notice.
also, Xbox doesn't offer Mods or Private refereed servers for "special case" base construction environments.
It's interesting to see what direction the game is taking and what play styles are adopted.
So my question was really about the standard game Public Server vanilla FUNCTIONALITY of "bases".  What is it for and where is it going ?
Is the focus of DayZ to become a 'Rust-like' ?

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*

0.55  caskanisters in fireplaces.....

can you remember at this features ?  and the Exploded Fuelstation if you shoot down.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Use barbed wire to protect your walls. At least they'll need pliers too.

Yeah I have been trying to find them, but not much luck. This is one of these few base building items that could use an increase in spawn rate imo.