Ryan JG

Roosters

So, I would use roosters as an indicated if a player was off in the distance because they are so loud; but today I notice them being softer and almost absent. 

Have they been dialed down?

Allegedly they grow when players near. If you hear a rooster in distance a player isn't far

They spawn when a play brings it in. So if you hear one far off then it’s not you triggering it. 

Like I say, I have heard roosters fast off on empty servers so I'm pretty sure that's unreliable at a means of detecting other players. They're probably spawning on you as you move across the map. 

Well it has got me 90% of my kills, so is pretty reliable for me.

11 minutes ago, Ryan JG said:

Well it has got me 90% of my kills, so is pretty reliable for me.

So ate you telling me that every time you hear a rooster, that's a player spawning in near you? I call bs on this one. Sorry, but its kinda like the cherno town bell myth mate. 

It's very simple and believe what you want. When ever I hear a rooster off in the distance, I chase it down like I would gun shots. Nine times out of Ten I find the player that has forced the rooster to spawn in. Just like they would spawn zombies and loot in.

Think about it, something has to make it spawn in.

So how do you account for roosters on an empty server? Just because something appears to be a certain way doesn't make it so. The sun appears to go around the earth, but that doesn't mean it does. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No one is saying it’s guaranteed and 100% that roosters are a sign that players are nearby, but it is a more often than not high probability that whenever you do hear a rooster, there’s a good chance something is nearby - i’ve either spawned in to servers and been in the same place where there’s nobody and no rooster, and logged out and logged right back in and haven’t moved and immediately heard a rooster, and most of the time a while later you’ll find something in that general direction, either a player or zombie group, which high concentration of zombies are also a good indication of activity. sometimes it’s a player moving around, or a gun shot, or a zombie nearby, that agitates the rooster into crowing - but something has to make the rooster caw, if they aren’t agitated by movement or sound, they stay quiet like chickens. I’ve heard roosters and gone and found just zombies in close proximity shuffling close by, and no players, but it’s usually SOMETHING nearby that makes the rooster act.

So we don’t know the what part of it is, but we do know that usually, if you do hear a rooster and go investigate, you’ll have a good chance of finding something nearby. It’s not 100% fact, but for most people, it usually is reliable.

• Like 1

I never found anything interesting near a rooster... Really. Its just a myth ( atleast i dont believe it ) , or some players just get triggered by it. Who knows, but i do know that i never found another player by investigating rooster sounds... However, maybe im just blind whenever a rooster is so damn annoying 🙂

From my experience, the rooster crows when he likes, as DayzDayzfanboy says. I hear them when I am on empty servers and I am nowhere near them.

Now the hens, they are quiet until you hassle or go near them. I deliberately steer clear of them for that reason.

I think a clear phrase people are ignoring is "off in the distance". Say the rooster is loud but I wonder if it's a distance than if could mean player. 

Just wanted to bump this thread a bit,

I was thinking about this and wanted to get more feedback on this as I'm sure these rooster only or mostly sound off when there is a player in the area, I noticed this alot on traveling the map. 😀

If I hear a rooster sound off then I know that there is a player in the area, I know that because I heard this a couple times and from the hills/hunting stands that overlook the town, I notice there's a player/s looting.

The other times in the middle of the night cycle I heard a rooster sound off just as I entered the town in the dark, now that seems to me like these they only crow when there are players nearby, possibly both when including "sunrise"

Now what I do is when I enter a town/city, I go looking for that annoying rooster 🤣

Edited by FearFokkol