Sign in to follow this  
IReadTheAgreement

The DayZ Steam store description is a straight lie

Key Features

Detailed, authentic backdrop of Chernarus, an open world terrain featuring 230 square kilometers of hand-crafted environment based on real life locations.

Real emotional experience driven by the emergent interactions of 60 players on the server, all fighting for survival by any means necessary.

Environmental dangers including the infected, dynamic weather, and animal predators

Wide variety of complex survival mechanics - from hunting and crafting, through sophisticated injury simulation, to transferable diseases.

Persistent servers with complex loot economy, and the ability to build improvised bases.

Visceral, authentic gun play and melee combat systems.

Smooth and reactive character controller utilizing a detailed animation system.

Rewarding and authentic experience of driving vehicles for travel and material transport.

Robust technology platform featuring modules of Bohemia's new Enfusion Engine.

Seamless network synchronization and significantly improved game performance.

A platform fully open to user created content, offering the same tool set that we use for actual game development.

There's no sophisticated injury simulation, there are no persistent servers (Sorry the backup workaround doesn't count here), authentic gun play no longer exists in this game, there's nothing rewarding about fixing a vehicle to be killed by it minutes later, and saying there is seamless network synchronization is a joke.  How can they sell it with such blatant lies?

• Beans 1

9 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

There's no sophisticated injury simulation, there are no persistent servers (Sorry the backup workaround doesn't count here), authentic gun play no longer exists in this game, there's nothing rewarding about fixing a vehicle to be killed by it minutes later, and saying there is seamless network synchronization is a joke.  How can they sell it with such blatant lies?

Me thinks someone didn't read the agreement. 

Oh- wait...

Edited by eno

Yes...complex loot economy is just loot cycling/farming...

1 minute ago, eno said:

Me thinks someone didn't read the agreement. 

Oh- wait...

No, I read it.  Just trusted them to follow through, which they didn't.  So here we are.

1 minute ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

No, I read it.  Just trusted them to follow through, which they didn't.  So here we are.

Great, you read the agreement and missed the sarcasm. 

Whaddyaknow. 

1 minute ago, eno said:

Great, you read the agreement and missed the sarcasm. 

Whaddyaknow. 

I got it.  It just wasn't funny or clever.  Want to stop trying to derail this thread and get on topic?

12 minutes ago, amadieus said:

Why does the backup fix not count? If it works, it works.

Because that isn't what persistence means.  Having to restore from backup isn't persistent.

15 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

I got it.  It just wasn't funny or clever.  Want to stop trying to derail this thread and get on topic?

Because what the world needed was another empty accusation on the promises of the game deliverables that will result in nothing at all. 

Carry on. 

• Beans 1

27 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

I would categorize as follows:

Straight Lie:
seamless network synchronization - this is a high claim for any game, I will say though that I appreciate the scope of the game and I tend to give it some leeway for not having fully achieved this goal/claim;

Marketing Grease:

sophisticated injury simulation - this is debatable but not a straight lie, depends what you mean by sophisticated;

persistent servers - bit of a high claim, wouldn't classify as straight lie as it has been addressed and improved upon since 'release' and as amadieus pointed out if it works it works;

authentic gunplay - debatable, not straight lie though, in fact I quite like the system; and

Rewarding and authentic experience of driving vehicle - this is pushing it toward lie, however when they work it is relatively rewarding and somewhat authentic except for the torque issues.

That's just the way I see, but I can totally understand how one might perceive these to be lies, this is just my take though.  

Just now, eno said:

Because what the world needed was another empty accusation on the promises of the game deliverables that will result in nothing at all. 

Carry on. 

I fail to see how posting inconsistencies (or straight lies) with what this game promises from the store it's selling it from as an empty accusation.  Especially since that's what people expect after paying $45 for it.  Sure, it won't result in anything because BI doesn't care, but showing disapproval with bad practices is important.

Carry on.

1 minute ago, aaronlands said:

I would categorize as follows:

Straight Lie:
seamless network synchronization - this is a high claim for any game, I will say though that I appreciate the scope of the game and I tend to give it some leeway for not having fully achieved this goal/claim;

Marketing Grease:

sophisticated injury simulation - this is debatable but not a straight lie, depends what you mean by sophisticated;

persistent servers - bit of a high claim, wouldn't classify as straight lie as it has been addressed and improved upon since 'release' and as amadieus pointed out if it works it works;

authentic gunplay - debatable, not straight lie though, in fact I quite like the system; and

Rewarding and authentic experience of driving vehicle - this is pushing it toward lie, however when they work it is relatively rewarding and somewhat authentic except for the torque issues.

That's just the way I see, but I can totally understand how one might perceive these to be lies, this is just my take though.  

Persistence doesn't work.  End of story.  Reloading backups is not persistence.  We can play word games all day on the rest.

I've had a base on my server for weeks, as have other players. Persistence works fine for us.

1 minute ago, BetterDeadThanZed said:

I've had a base on my server for weeks, as have other players. Persistence works fine for us.

You mean the server in your signature?  The one that hasn't had over a few players on at a time in the last month?  You don't say!  It generally happens on full 60/60 servers.

44 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

I fail to see how posting inconsistencies (or straight lies) with what this game promises from the store it's selling it from as an empty accusation.  Especially since that's what people expect after paying $45 for it.  Sure, it won't result in anything because BI doesn't care, but showing disapproval with bad practices is important.

Carry on.

Well thank fuck you're here to get BI squared away where all the others who have complained about these same things countless times have failed. 

4 minutes ago, eno said:

Well thank fuck you're here to get BI squared away where all the others who have complained about these same things countless times have failed. 

You have a defeatist attitude.  Is that how you go through life too?  I'm not here to "square BI away" but I can announce my displeasure with them to my hearts desire.  If they chose to ignore me that's fine.  I've still spoken my peace.  Unless they unfuck DayZ I won't be purchasing any game from BI again anyway.  Why would I purchase ARMA 4 when they can't even offer what's promised when purchasing DayZ?

Persistence works fine if idiotic server owners would stop restarting their server every couple of hours.  Sounds like somebody needs a waaaambulance

Edited by Guy Smiley

5 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Persistence works fine if idiotic server owners would stop restarting their server every couple of hours.  Sounds like somebody needs a waaaambulance

Those "idiotic server owners" who are paying for DayZ to stay relevant shouldn't be getting any of the blame.  You don't seem to know what you're talking about like usual.  I view you as a joke on these forums like I'm sure many others do.

22 minutes ago, IReadTheAgreement said:

Those "idiotic server owners" who are paying for DayZ to stay relevant shouldn't be getting any of the blame.  You don't seem to know what you're talking about like usual.  I view you as a joke on these forums like I'm sure many others do.

As a "server owner" who is paying for his own server, I am not having any of these issues seen as I how I don't force restart my server.  And I only come here for the luls while kids like you cry about losing virtual items in a video game and I personally don't give a flying fuck what you and your band of kids think of me 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Guy Smiley said:

As a "server owner" who is paying for his own server, I am not having any of these issues seen as I how I don't force restart my server.  And I only come here for the luls while kids like you cry about losing virtual items in a video game and I personally don't give a flying fuck what you and your band of kids think of me 😉

Calling others kids is always a sure sign of ones own maturity.  Good on you for it!  It also turns out that force restarts aren't the only cause of persistence wipes.  Even a normal, scheduled server restart will do it.  So again, you don't seem to know what you're talking about.

It's also no where near the purpose of this post.  You all keep trying to skew it.  The fact is what is advertised on the DayZ Steam page isn't in game.  They shouldn't be selling it with those promises.

No, they shouldn't be.  The game is nowhere near worth $59.99 CAD.  This is a $29.99 game in it's current form tops but to say they are lying is utter bullshit

If it's not a lie what would you call selling a game that doesn't provide what was promised when you bought it as a finished 1.0 product?  Is it OK that the features you paid for reading their own description of the game don't exist?  Is it an "Oops"?  They can't hide behind early access excuses anymore.

4 minutes ago, aaronlands said:

Why are they lying?

Exactly, the features are there, just very lack luster hence my, 

57 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

The game is nowhere near worth $59.99 CAD.  This is a $29.99 game in it's current form tops but to say they are lying is utter bullshit

Comment

• Beans 1