No One With That Name

Wolf and Zeds in Building while doors are closed

I made a post last week about wolves entering a closed house.

Today... I watched a wolf run right through a wall of a building

then run out of the building while attacking a zed.

Earlier, I also saw a (wounded) crawling zed go through a closed door into a house... where I then shot him.

All in all the newest update seems to be good... but

the newest (beta) update seems to have introduced a few bugs as well.

In previous updates I saw glitching where zeds could "reached" through a door and hurt you...

and it was always a door - not a wall...

I never saw one just "go through a door" as if the door wasn't there.

and this update... (sometimes)... wolves and zeds just "go through" something that is visually not there.

but programmatically it is. Kinda like the barrel issue where it can't figure out if it's open or closed.

Edited by No One With That Name
added info
  • Like 1

terrifying !
There have been problems with doors in the past - dont trust them with your life -  best thing to do right now is be aware of it.. Like, take it to mean the Z smashes an arm through the door and hits you.. keep out of reach, even if they are on the other side of something.  -  Ive been punched and had my leg broken indoors upstairs on the first floor by a zomb downstairs outside the house.  It's maybe good - it adds some extra paranoia to the game.
- Never feel safe.

17 hours ago, No One With That Name said:

wolves and zeds just "go through" something that is visually not there.

🙂 p.s.  How do you know they go through something that's not there ? - wow!  Can you see them do it ??  🙂

Getting inside a house out of the way of wolves and having the wolves and the zombs fighting outside around the village is kind of fun.. also, stand well away from the door while you're bandaging ..

Pilgrim. I've been trying to get a screen shot / video... but basically
- you are inside a building with closed doors
- you are looking at a wall
- and the wolf literally runs through it.
Obviously, a wall is a physical barrier that things are "not suppose to go through"... in either direction.

If a wolf can go through a wall
- then the AI thinks there is no wall there... even though it's draws a wall you can see
- or there is a collision aspect that allows the wolf to "somehow" go though a wall... even though the AI knows a wolf cannot go through a wall.

It's a frustrating issue. You spend an incredible amount of time in the game... to simply die because of a bug.
I understand it's experimental. You just have to deal with it. But it's frustrating no less.

My job allows me to put in about 2 hours a day intermixed throughout the day... And I've encountered some really strange issues...

I still like the game though. I think it's comes a long way... but still has a long ways to go.
For example... (totally different issue) I'm still trying to out the hit / damage ratio weapons (guns, hatches, etc) make.

In the previous update... I could mostly zeds with 1 bullet from any gun. Now it seems to take 3 bullets. Regardless of the gun / rifle / I use.
And since I'm dead again... because of the wolf.. I have to start over... but again - I understand that. And it is still fun.

Especially when I have something like a hundred barrels spread out across the map.

Edited by No One With That Name
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, No One With That Name said:

- you are looking at a wall
- and the wolf literally runs through it.

Fair point.
* Doors are a special case because of the way their open/shut status is registered.
* There were problems of zombies spawning inside buildings, on roofs, etc.. I haven't seen that (very) recently.
* Shooting Zs - there are whole threads about that
BUT I've never myself seen a wolf definitely run through a solid object, or go through a house, (in at one side and out at the other?)  - I guess if you see it again, put in a bug report.
Maybe other folk have seen this or reported it.

59 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

*snip&
* There were problems of zombies spawning inside buildings, on roofs, etc.. I haven't seen that (very) recently.
*snip*

Seen both this week, also had one come in through a closed downstairs door in the newish dilapidated big old "barracks" building by the range at Tisy yesterday on my LAN server. It's common if there's latency, if the server thinks the door is open even though your client is displaying it closed the server wins but I shouldn't have that with a 20ms ping.   

Edited by BCBasher

I exited the game (night time) about 2 hours ago.

I make it a habit to close all doors before I exit.

With that said... I've seen (previously) closed doors - be open when I re-enter the map.

But back to the topic:

With this issue - I just re-entered the game 10 minutes ago.

I spawned into the same location I had exited from. All doors were closed.

I could hear a zed. Sounded like it was in the house.

I switched to a shotgun and opened the door - and there's Mr Zed. In the house.

He was not there when I previously exited. He spawned when I re-entered the map.

I put him down with one 12ga slug... so a 12ga will put a zed down as it should (based on distance and aiming).

I previously mentioned it took 3 bullets... but that was from hand guns and rifles.

So the shot gun seems to work working. Not yet sure about hand guns or rifles.

Sorry if I'm jumping around a bit.

As for the zeds on the roof... they are still there. Saw on yesterday.

As for the server... I'm literally riding the server. I'm getting 0 to 5ms latency.

Most of the slow downs I'm seeing are right at the beginning after the game displays... but seems to post-load some items.

AI Sounds are still kinda screwy. In the woods... the wind... or when it rains and you hear water coming into gutter or something like that.

It starts off really low - then gradually increases to a loud sound - then all the sudden cuts off.

I've got cell phone video... basically it's just me opening the door and putting down the zed... so it doesn't show exit or re-enter parts.

But again... I know he was a fresh spawn.

14 hours ago, No One With That Name said:

With that said... I've seen (previously) closed doors - be open when I re-enter the map.

Leaving aside doors ..

On servers with my local area (usual) ping at 30 to 55 .. and even when I'm on on servers with a ping up to 300+

I PERSONALLY on PC (not speaking for other players or other rigs ) have found it totally cool to get in a house, close the door, and have wolves around the house, zombies skirting round the house and ranting and howling (they know I'm in there) .. and PERSONALLY - after one or two EARLIER experiences - I have found that I can EXPECT to be OK as long as I stay arm's length away from walls windows and doors.. kind of nearer the middle of the rooms, not in line with a door, or upstairs, ya know?  there's no point leaning against a wall while a Z is on the other side.  either nothing happens or at worst you get an unexpected total headshot. So doing that is NOT a plus.
I spend time with wolves, and play games with them. Ive never seen a wolf come through a wall. BUT if they are in a house or barn WITH you their movement can be pretty tricky.
Damn those wolves
The way they leap around when you're in a closed space with them is just downright HAIR RAISING..
man, I fought a pack of them with a spade and a shotgun in a big barn, behind the hay bales, at night.  LOL .. half fast fighting half fast tearing my own clothes up for bandages when I ran out & fast trying to reload.. wow those wolves just run and SNARL an LEAP around something STRANGE !! 
it's almost nearly too exciting (kind of like, terror, right?)

Yeah, Zs can spawn in houses right now, I've heard of that - but hell, so there's a Z in the house, is that such a game breaker? (makes the game more interesting?) .. and hell, there's a Z on the roof = so what?  LOL.  Just make sure he don't DROP on you. Crazy Zeds.

Doors :
In my experience, once you are sure the door is shut - it's been shut for a second or three - then zombs MOST LIKELY wont come through it or try to hit through it, unless you stand directly  behind the door.. when you stand near there the Z  pathing shows a straight line from THEM to YOU - they will try to come at you that way - Remember that a doorway shows up firstly as a direct rout any Z CAN TAKE.. then only a secondary check tells the AI that the zomb can NOT go that way ATM.
Doors are dynamic objects and not part of the scenery.. they are not walls or trees  or big rocks:  those things are always present - doors are sometimes there / sometimes not, as far as path is concerned.

Doors are better than they used to be .. they got improved to be "about" ok in 0.6 xx  but I don't know that they've got better since then, on PC.   (this is IMO, natch)

if you look back in the threads you can find the technical stuff discussing this. Doors were a PC issue for a while.

p.s. If you log out in a closed room or shed, just DON'T expect it to be closed when you log back in. There's no special reason it should be.
Go up in the trees a way, log out behind a bush. that's better and safer for about 100 reasons.

IMO

• Beans 1

15 hours ago, No One With That Name said:

I exited the game (night time) about 2 hours ago.

I make it a habit to close all doors before I exit.

*snip*

Door state can be persistent through server reboot but there's a switch in the server config to disable that is noted that "it can help with other persistence issues having it off", the current server file download has persistent door state disabled by default. 

Is there any reason you started a new thread instead of posting this under the one you previously started to discuss this same issue?  If not, I'd recommend you flag your own post and request it be merged.

Additionally, you can set up your PC to record to your hard drive from a hotkey using this program, and here is a basic tutorial on setting up.  You can also set up a Twitch account, and configure OBS to stream to there; the advantage being that your streams are saved on their storage, are automatically assigned easily shareable URLs, and you can easily trim your clips with the highlight function; this will reduce your capture to post time to less than 5 minutes, including the time it takes to trim your highlights down to only the relevant content.

Hope this helps in the future.  I can only imagine how awkward and time consuming it was to get that footage from your cell phone to the forum.  Enjoy.  And don't hesitate to ask if you need any help getting set up to record.😁

Edited by emuthreat
there not here. wouldn't it be cool if BI had a stream service for their own games though?
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

12 hours ago, emuthreat said:

Is there any reason you started a new thread instead of posting this under the one you previously started to discuss this same issue?  If not, I'd recommend you flag your own post and request it be merged.

Additionally, you can set up your PC to record to your hard drive from a hotkey using this program, and here is a basic tutorial on setting up.  You can also set up a Twitch account, and configure OBS to stream to there; the advantage being that your streams are saved on their storage, are automatically assigned easily shareable URLs, and you can easily trim your clips with the highlight function; this will reduce your capture to post time to less than 5 minutes, including the time it takes to trim your highlights down to only the relevant content.

Hope this helps in the future.  I can only imagine how awkward and time consuming it was to get that footage from your cell phone to the forum.  Enjoy.  And don't hesitate to ask if you need any help getting set up to record.😁

That's my mistake about creating the new - similar post.

I didn't know there was "merge process". Thanks for the advice.

I do have a capture device on this PC. I'll make use of it.

I've viewed Twitch... but have never streamed to Twitch.

I have need to look into that.

Thanks