KriegEternal

How active?

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to xbox having gotten mine a little more than a month ago, I am looking for new games to run and i stumbled upon this one. My last venture into picking up a game didn't go so well as the servers were dead... So before i get to excited for this game i would like to ask, how active is the community? Is there cross play? How toxic is the community compared to games like ark, rust, conan and other survival games?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, KriegEternal said:

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to xbox having gotten mine a little more than a month ago, I am looking for new games to run and i stumbled upon this one. My last venture into picking up a game didn't go so well as the servers were dead... So before i get to excited for this game i would like to ask, how active is the community? Is there cross play? How toxic is the community compared to games like ark, rust, conan and other survival games?

welcome to the forum , i don't know anything about xbox as i play on PC . but you can scroll down to the Xbox part of the forum and ask there.  no cross play with PC and xbox.

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, KriegEternal said:

I'm going to go one a limb and guess you're asking because you're on a budget, if you are buy a finished game, this is not.

I bought it for potential from a PC modders stand point based on previous titles and 4 years later they're still not producing on giving even the sandbox an pieces they promised "soon" let alone a finished game.

It has a steep learning curve that will change, glitches, it's grindy, the community can be supremely toxic, no cross play I'm aware of.

It's a PVP clusterfuck right now because survival isn't really implemented at all, next week it might be freezing to death over and over simulator again, who knows. 

I've been playing for four years with a rage quit break and it's been half dozen different games in that time some I hated, some I really liked, just starting to like it again.

I have something stupid like 2000 hours but I'm a glutton for repetitive things and frustration, most people aren't.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

Nah not really on a budget i am just not a fan of getting games i don't like as often times i can't return them. However this is rather unfortunate to hear that they are not producing on features that they had promised. From reading over what it is supposed to be it looked promising. However the last thing i need is another game where the devs don't do what they say they will. 

I am not a glutton for repetitive things unless it allows me to do something interesting or helpful later down the line like grinding stuff. I am mostly a big fan of the survival and zombie genre's and there aren't many games that really fit that slot properly. The only other one i know of available to me is state of decay 1 and 2 which 2 is extremely repetitive with no real end game.

Do you by chance have any games for me to possibly look into? I heard Dark and light was nic e but it isn't out yet.

2 minutes ago, KriegEternal said:

Nah not really on a budget i am just not a fan of getting games i don't like as often times i can't return them. However this is rather unfortunate to hear that they are not producing on features that they had promised. From reading over what it is supposed to be it looked promising. However the last thing i need is another game where the devs don't do what they say they will. 

I am not a glutton for repetitive things unless it allows me to do something interesting or helpful later down the line like grinding stuff. I am mostly a big fan of the survival and zombie genre's and there aren't many games that really fit that slot properly. The only other one i know of available to me is state of decay 1 and 2 which 2 is extremely repetitive with no real end game.

Do you by chance have any games for me to possibly look into? I heard Dark and light was nic e but it isn't out yet.

No recommendations here, this is the only game like it I own or have heard of in concept anyway.

The Idea is great, if it had have the stuff it was claimed to have "soon" which it might eventually whenever that is?

Starting to seem like a bunch of teenagers smoking dope talking about cool ideas and when they get the money to make the idea, they just buy more dope and come up with different ideas, probably the management equivalent of that.

I think there used to be a joke about the devs spending our money on Lambos?

LAMBOS.jpg?fit=750,750&ssl=1

• Haha 1
  • Beans 2

Yeah sounds about right, Still kinda a shame was looking for a new survival game to get into. 

Yeah that seems to the common thing happening as of late, Devs spending they money on other stuff and not improving their game to further increase the profits they could make. I mean yeah your making a lot of money but if you put it back toward your game you could easily make enough to make what you had before look like pocket change. The last time i remember a game that had a dev that gave a crap was a long time ago...

Anyway thanks for the heads up man saved me 40$ LOL

• Sad 1

On 2/7/2019 at 9:13 PM, BCBasher said:

Starting to seem like a bunch of teenagers smoking dope talking about cool ideas and when they get the money to make the idea, they just buy more dope and come up with different ideas, probably the management equivalent of that.

I got the game for free in pre-Alpha and I feel ripped off having waited so long and listened to so many ideas and promises that seemed to have just disappeared.  Seriously, maybe another year of dev time to get this to where is should've maybe been at a 1.0 release?

• Beans 3

A potential new player comes to the forums.  Said player asks if the community is toxic and if the servers are dead.  Player with 2000+ hours (rofl) replies that the community is toxic and that PVP is a clusterfuck even though he never plays on servers with other people.  Mostly because he doesn't have the hardware and has proclaimed that he's extremely antisocial.  Then conjectures that the devs just take consumer money to buy dope and lambos.  So, potential new player states that he doesn't want to see his money spent on (lambos) and decides to move on.

Maybe the best advice to potential customers is to seek out multiple sources of actual gameplay and decide for yourself.  Watch some actual footage.  Read up on the technology for yourself.  Go to various websites, reddit, and youtube.   Don't pose a question on forums, because you're likely to just hear from squeaky wheels.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Beans 1

8 hours ago, Parazight said:

A potential new player comes to the forums. Said player asks if the community is toxic and if the servers are dead.  Player with 2000+ hours (rofl) replies that the community is toxic and that PVP is a clusterfuck even though he never plays on servers with other people.  Mostly because he doesn't have the hardware and has proclaimed that he's extremely antisocial.  Then conjectures that the devs just take consumer money to buy dope and lambos.  So, potential new player states that he doesn't want to see his money spent on (lambos) and decides to move on.

Maybe the best advice to potential customers is to seek out multiple sources of actual gameplay and decide for yourself.  Watch some actual footage.  Read up on the technology for yourself.  Go to various websites, reddit, and youtube.   Don't pose a question on forums, because you're likely to just hear from squeaky wheels.

@Parazight, please be more careful with those sideswipes against other users. It only provokes personal arguments. You probably say everything important in the second part.

• Like 2

Well personally I'm still loving the game. Yes, it's full of bugs still, and generally that really grinds my gears on games. But, with dayz I am happy to make an exception. I waited a long time for this on console and I haven't been disappointed yet. Had some great interactions with other players, not always hostile, and had some cool adventures with people. The game is still on game preview but will probably always be plagued by bugs but I wouldn't let it put you off. Its a really nice game to look at and plays pretty smoothly most of the time. The server I play on is always pretty full and had a mixed bag of people on it. 

I would try the free one hour demo first though. It won't really give you a true insight into the game, but will at least be more informative than asking on this forum. There are some very vocal haters who will be sure to join in this thread before long. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy
After thought
  • Like 1
  • Beans 2

Not worth the $40. Definitely won't be worth $60 when 1.0 releases. Save your money. The Xbox port was a cash grab.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

57 minutes ago, Man Parts 241 said:

The Xbox port was a cash grab.

The Xbox port is an Xbox port.
Lot of Xbox around.. PC getting a little OLD maybe ( vanishing minority nerd-generation PC freaks )  -  You think Xbox players should STILL be kept away from the Good Games ?

• Like 2
  • Beans 1

13 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

The Xbox port is an Xbox port.
Lot of Xbox around.. PC getting a little OLD maybe ( vanishing minority nerd-generation PC freaks )  -  You think Xbox players should STILL be kept away from the Good Games ?

Putting resources into the port feels like a bit of an insult to the PC customers who still haven't got the product we payed for in good faith 4-5 years ago though? 

Seems more like a another golden goose to strangle from where I sit?

• Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 12:54 AM, KriegEternal said:

How toxic is the community compared to games like ark, rust, conan and other survival games?

Definitely the DayZ forum & community here is LESS toxic than those others  - that's for SURE...
wow - like, WE only have about max. FIVE persistently obnoxious twisted idiots on the WHOLE Forum !

• Haha 1
  • Beans 3

28 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

Definitely the DayZ forum & community here is LESS toxic than those others  - that's for SURE...
wow - like, WE only have about max. FIVE persistently obnoxious twisted idiots on the WHOLE Forum !

But "they" are the only ones who post consistently now, toxic people or environmental byproduct?

WELL - the PC gaming sector is the third-largest category (and estimated in decline) across all platforms as of 2016, with the console sector second-largest.
Serious money - 2012 already  2.2 billion video gamers generate US$101.1 billion in revenue, excluding hardware costs.

By 2013 Xbox One already had 30,000,000 sales.. now we are 2019,   MS wont even say how many they have sold anymore.
        I guess you think games should NOT be targeted at these bad evil console players ?

you maybe need history first, opinion second

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_game
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#Eighth_generation

( this is just for starters.. there are links if you are interested, leading to a kind of TRUTH.. like in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Scull, right? )

An indie developer always struggles against the Mega-Corps.. the last 20+ years is a continuous history of one indy after another being swallowed by X-MegaCorps and Y-Megacorps and ETC. There are FEW indies left and the ones that pop up sell out as soon as they get an offer they can't refuse from a Mega Corp.

This makes BI very very UNUSUAL

But if you want to be a COMPANY you got to sell PRODUCT.. (that's the way it is)..
their aint hundreds of companies building steam locomotives these days, but their used to be MANY. So why is that? .. Maybe because folk want diesel & electric and not steam? Even if it's a REALLY REALLY GREAT steam locomotive (better than diesel and ecologically sound, you name it.. there's just NOT a big market right now). Selling those just will not pay your  disco-entry.

Going back to PCs ...   because SALES of PCs has been going DOWN since 2012 and sales of CONSOLES has been going up, and now CONSOLES are the bigger market by a LARGE MARGIN.  Games on console are - wow - billions of revenue ahead and climbing.

Most folk who play SERIOUS games (not phone/tablet games, yet) play on consoles.

I don't like that and I personally think console owners have made an existential blunder.. I'd always play a GOOD game on PC for multiple reasons. BUT I do not have to personally make a LIVING today by selling games so I can pay my staff.

If I was making a living as an indy - I would definitely have NOTICED that 2 players out of 3 are on console, and consoles are going to get bigger in the future.. they are moving SERIOUSLY ahead of PC game sales and the consoles themselves are getting better (technically).

My own personal big beef with consoles is you cant root them, they are OWNED by MegaCorps.. and personally I TOTALLY HATE that. [ .. I'm not the only one .. why do I think @Weyland Yutani gave himself that name?]

But  - "Sales & Internet II & Western Capitalism & Ownership, Right to Root, Indies, Morality & Mega Corps " - is a whole other topic, right ??   Read some Noam Chomsky and we can discuss that.

ps - The focus of BI is to have a SINGLE DayZ game in the Lab, ONE Game, that is then Forked at the output into a PC version and a Console version.. so they are deliberately aiming to avoid locating resources (programmers/hours)  to DayZ Console only. This has been said. 

• Like 1
  • Beans 3

12 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

WELL - the PC gaming sector is the third-largest category (and estimated in decline) across all platforms as of 2016, with the console sector second-largest.
Serious money - 2012 already  2.2 billion video gamers generate US$101.1 billion in revenue, excluding hardware costs.

*snip*

This is all fine and good but some of us paid in advance for a PC game we wanted.

My fear is that in running a business to make money the game I bought won't be produced, it will be modified to get second more profitable market and it's original finical supporters won't get what they paid for, in advance, in good faith. Elder Scrolls Online did exactly that "No, this game is going to be different", "No micro transactions ever", "meaningful progression based on time put in" this was repeated for a year and one morning "Oh, we're making he game buy to play, with micro transactions, and we're going to make it so guys who play 2 hrs a month can compete in PvP with guys who play 50hrs a week because... that's fair." after us pre-order/beta customers had paid $500 each for box sets and sub fees year one to not receive the product they were advertised but get something someone else who cam in later wanted. 

I'm personally getting toxic just from seeming the "I can't find an M4, the game must be broken" argument come up and not get put down like it was two years ago, gritty survival is the game I paid for not everyone running around with automatic weapons as easily as possible because they're used to playing shooters. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BCBasher said:

But "they" are the only ones who post consistently now, toxic people or environmental byproduct?

they post continuously - you mean - yes.. continuous CR@P is worse than just CR@P once.. the same CR@P time after time definitely singles out JUST a FEW posters.
there are a number of folk who post consistently  and have done for a LONG TIME ..  but their posts are nothing to do with same-same REPETITIVE CR@P & bullshit we are getting from a few posters.
My advice to them would be <<  If you hate the game - Get a life  >> but they KEEP ON coming back to say how CR@P it is. 

They are sad people.

If you want PLENTY of toxic people - go compare the forums for games like "ark, rust, conan and other survival games"

You'll probably find folk who are toxic here are toxic over there too, because they have nothing better to do than wander the sad Dis Everything circuit  - except over there they get drowned in the standard wall to wall CR@P,  right ?

If by environmental byproduct - you mean the internet permits  to say CR@P that you wouldnt DARE say to someones face or they'd get a fast three mouth-fulls of knuckes .. then yes, sure.. the online environment is a great place for Sad Effers with no life and wrist cramps.

I pity them but not a lot.

xxp

• Beans 1

3 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

they post continuously - you mean - yes.. continuous CR@P is worse than just CR@P once.. the same CR@P time after time definitely singles out JUST a FEW posters.
there are a number of folk who post consistently  and have done for a LONG TIME ..  but their posts are nothing to do with same-same REPETITIVE CR@P & bullshit we are getting from a few posters.
My advice to them would be <<  If you hate the game - Get a life  >> but they KEEP ON coming back to say how CR@P it is. 

They are sad people.

If you want PLENTY of toxic people - go compare the forums for games like "ark, rust, conan and other survival games"

You'll probably find folk who are toxic here are toxic over there too, because they have nothing better to do than wander the sad Dis Everything circuit  - except over there they get drowned in the standard wall to wall CR@P,  right ?

If by environmental byproduct - you mean the internet permits  to say CR@P that you wouldnt DARE say to someones face or they'd get a fast three mouth-fulls of knuckes .. then yes, sure.. the online environment is a great place for Sad Effers with no life and wrist cramps.

I pity them but not a lot.

xxp

I was even tongue in cheek referring to myself at this point, I haven't been about the crap crap, I used used to be one of the biggest fanboy defenders and don't get me wrong, I love the game, or at least the pipe dream I was sold. 

You said it there about running a business chasing money which is reality of life, customer satisfaction should also be a factor if you want to keep selling new products to the same customer though.

I have supported the development of one PC already granted it was a bigger investment to have it remade mid development into something console players wanted. They didn't tell us at beta that would happen while taking $50 a month from my account to pay their staff for year, flat out lied that wouldn't happen, that's how some business are run and it scares me a little. 

I'm starting to get more positive, as far as toxic though do you think it's odd I have 101% positive reactions to my thousands of post and oddly the a lot of the same people who reacted positively to my support before my break are the ones reacting positively to my negative ones as of late? 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, BCBasher said:

customer satisfaction should also be a factor

yes - I guess this is why the changes and rollbacks in << DayZ the game itself >> are designed to facilitate a DayZ that can be built as a single unit and THEN forked to PC and to Xbox - because Xbox is where the customers are.
Like it or not, consoles are the future of gaming, and a gaming company that does not take this this into account is dead - what other choice do they have, seriously? And if they do take it into account they face competition from THE GIANT world-sized money-machine SHARKS. The people who say "You developed a game? OK, here's a million notes, boy, now take the cash and go away and let us SELL it."

Speaking for myself I bought DayZ SA years ago for very little money (I don't even remember how much) - the price of a meal maybe or a couple of bottles of wine or a tank of petrol ? - since then I've paid nothing and had 2000 hours of kicks for the price of a ,night out  so I'm NOT complaining about ANYTHING MUCH..  best value for money I ever found anywhere for anything.. 

So, I'm fine. I'm interested to see how BI deals with the future - the future looks GRIM for Indies .. the last 15 years have been grim for Indies - Minority appeal games are NOT where the money is..  Dumb everything down, make it easy to play, make it popular with average buyers, it's sold by MegaCorporation Ltd and next year they'll do DayZ II, then next year DayZ III, keep the Pay DLCs going, MicroTransactions, keep the money rolling in. Pay to play dude, Pây to play.. Pay to Play..
Sell it remaindered next year to make sure the punters pay for the NEW one.

Jeez.. I played this game SIX YEARS and I haven't added ANY income to BI during ALL that time (zero) - and THEY are STILL paying staff to support ME  - for FREE - for EVER.. 
(that's Crazy)

Nah.. not me complaining. AND I've seen what BI are trying to do since 0.6xxx up to present.   Seriously - what else CAN they do?

I've got a free lifetime spectator seat here. I play when I want, I understand plenty of the technical targets and aims, I see what's happening, I see the changes, I follow the economics and the arguments - I get kicks out of that stuff too. I mess with Xbox & PC (compare and contrast) I read the new player comments ..  Seems to me there's a new generation of players coming around?  - All kinds of different folks and some of them Get The Point of DayZ ...  but .. just "in general" I get an impression seems like plenty new players can WRITE but they don't READ so much ? 

Sorry, but I like BI & I like their style.   DayZ is a minority game by definition.  I'm happy to see how it plays out.  There aren't many REAL Indies left these days are there?  Count them on one hand.

xxp

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Beans 2

On 2/14/2019 at 12:33 PM, BCBasher said:

Environmental byproduct for sure. 

Case in point? Me.

I was a huge fan until I saw BI break something in-game with every patch/update, major complaints getting ignored,  half ass implemented mechanics and features, devs who clearly don't have a clue(watch their latest stream lmao), I could go on... 

Years into development and this game is still shit technically speaking and it's still missing a lot of key features and mechanics.

Pffft... 

• Beans 1

On 2/14/2019 at 1:04 PM, pilgrim* said:

[. . .]

Going back to PCs ...   because SALES of PCs has been going DOWN since 2012 and sales of CONSOLES has been going up, and now CONSOLES are the bigger market by a LARGE MARGIN.  Games on console are - wow - billions of revenue ahead and climbing.

Most folk who play SERIOUS games (not phone/tablet games, yet) play on consoles.

[. . .]

I agree with most of what you said but I can't find any sources which indicate that console gaming is billions ahead.  Could you point me to some sources?  I found this source: https://newzoo.com/insights/articles/global-games-market-reaches-137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/ which says that consoles games make up $34.6 Billion while PC makes up $32.9 Billion, while this is technically billions it's also not as big a difference as I might've thought.  Is this source accurate?

Edited by aaronlands

On 2/19/2019 at 6:54 PM, aaronlands said:

sources which indicate that console gaming is billions ahead

good question

yes - if you spent time looking for info you found that when you want online serious economic breakdowns statistics and forecasts, you have to PAY for them.. right? 

heh ..

( let's all meditate for a moment on why that is  )

It's a complicated situation: firstly leave out the apps and mobile fun games .. the "little" games...  that just leaves us with PC and console, where folk might play "serious", "full-scale" games 

1) the reasons for buying a PC and for buying a Console are very different :
for instance nearly everyone in the West buys a TV.. why? well, because a TV is a standard thing to have like a flush toilet or a chair or a stove.. and for the same reason - because it's "normal" and "useful" -  many many folk have a car.

I mean they have a CAR to get around.. that's kind of standard.

BUT the folk who buy a MOTORBIKE are people who are REALLY into BIKES .. right? .. (and also they can use it to get around, natch).

So if you buy a TV you can watch any channel, that's standard, its just a normal thing in your living-room .. and you can get a Console to go with it, THE MAJORITY of homes in the West have a console, its pretty standard, it's like a TV.. it's a box, you have no idea how it works.. you turn it on it works, that's all.. It does what it does.

BUT if you want a GAMER PC then you have to be a fan - like the people who have motorbikes.. all those difficult choices ?. .. I'd go for Kawasaki myself.. seriously dude, get a second-hand Ninja.. listen to that SOUND when it accelerates .. and PLENTY of folk wont agree, and plenty of folk will give you advice on how many cores and which graphics card, and maybe upgrade the PSU and what kind of memory, and are you going to overclock that? (Car is like Console, PC is like Bike = get it?)

So I'm saying a Gamer PC and a Console are as different as a Car and a Motorbike .. like everyone will normally get a car, but some folk will really want a Bike..  It is hard to predict the total bike market but EASY to predict the total car market.. the total car market is a function of a simple social statistic (income, parking, habitation density, distance from work) and the total population the area.  On the other hand, people buy motorbikes for a whole set of other different reasons.

Bottom line is - console sales are going up as they become as standard as TVs.. pretty much every kid age 7-10 has a console in the living room now.. just about.. like kids used to have an Action Man or a Barbie. Why would you NOT buy your kid a console it's a standard thing to play with, want to DEPRIVE your kid?  But not many parents are buying their 10 year old a PC right at the moment. specially not a high-end Gamer PC.. Either there's one already in the house for the parents (or not) and the 7-10 year old's will use it when they grow up a little - or, that's already not a PC Gamer household.  

So HOW you get to be a Console gamer or a PC gamer comes by two very different routes, already.. The console route is a lot easier, right? No one goes in your house and says "WOW, you got a Console!! - Amazing!! WOW- What do you DO with it?"

Consoles are getting more powerful and with greater multi-functionality. They are sold CHEAP by very very big BIG companies who PLAN and want and aim to get a MONOPOLY over your buying and playing and viewing and lifestyle and spending habits. They have a whole design philosophy behind them. YOU are not ever "the boss" of your console, you paid cash for it but it is a COMPANY console .. It is ONLY a window that connects you to ONE COMPANY..   This is deliberate (you may notice or not, but it is still the result of huge deliberate planning and design). 

Plenty of folk think that's great.

PCs give you a personal freedom that is limited by your imagination, your skills, any network you get involved with, free info .. you CAN in fact do ANYTHING with a PC.. you are totally ROOT with your PC.

Plenty of folk think that's great. I have a console too,  but I am sure ROOT is the only place to be, EVER.   (scuse me) .. euh .. get to ROOT,  TOTALLY..
Maybe PCs attract a different kind of person. But some folk have a car AND a bike..
IMO - I see MegaCorps "'entertainment centers"  will max out when they reach the total population (of the planet) that has a high enough standard of living.. kind of like running water.
[ unless we all die first ]
PCs will never do that.. So consoles are by FAR the clear winner, unless .. ( unless the world financial power structures and the nature of human individuality are totally revised? WOW.. wonder if THAT'S going to happen soon? )  

[ And by PC I mean something that is FULLY reprogrammable TOTALLY VERSATILE and not TIED in any way to the manufacturers of any of the pieces.  Unconstrained  - it's limited ATM only by available technology, speed of light, and your own abilities. ] 

OK -  HERE'S the easy answer to your question.. Taking your figures as they stand  - you think a market of "only" ONE BILLION over the PC market is not worth competing for?  (a little one-and-a-half billion is Soooo TINY, right? I wouldn't bend to pick it up if it was lying in the street, it's only a BILLION.. heheh,  1,000 000 000 (short scale)  
Look again.. In the market for "serious" "full-scale" games..ATM if you make games for PC you are competing in 47% of that market.. (your figures).. so what company would NOT WANT to add another 35 BILLION of potential market to their portfolio, THIS YEAR ?? .. then instead of competing for 47% of the market you are MORE THAN DOUBLING your sales target, and competing for 100% of the market ??

hmm??

Edited by pilgrim*
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

good question

yes - if you spent time looking for info you found that when you want online serious economic breakdowns statistics and forecasts, you have to PAY for them.. right? 

heh ..

( let's all meditate for a moment on why that is  )

It's a complicated situation: firstly leave out the apps and mobile fun games .. the "little" games...  that just leaves us with PC and console, where folk might play "serious", "full-scale" games 

1) the reasons for buying a PC and for buying a Console are very different :
for instance nearly everyone in the West buys a TV.. why? well, because a TV is a standard thing to have like a flush toilet or a chair or a stove.. and for the same reason - because it's "normal" and "useful" -  many many folk have a car.

I mean they have a CAR to get around.. that's kind of standard.

BUT the folk who buy a MOTORBIKE are people who are REALLY into BIKES .. right? .. (and also they can use it to get around, natch).

So if you buy a TV you can watch any channel, that's standard, its just a normal thing in your living-room .. and you can get a Console to go with it, THE MAJORITY of homes in the West have a console, its pretty standard, it's like a TV.. it's a box, you have no idea how it works.. you turn it on it works, that's all.. It does what it does.

BUT if you want a GAMER PC then you have to be a fan - like the people who have motorbikes.. all those difficult choices ?. .. I'd go for Kawasaki myself.. seriously dude, get a second-hand Ninja.. listen to that SOUND when it accelerates .. and PLENTY of folk wont agree, and plenty of folk will give you advice on how many cores and which graphics card, and maybe upgrade the PSU and what kind of memory, and are you going to overclock that? (Car is like Console, PC is like Bike = get it?)

So I'm saying a Gamer PC and a Console are as different as a Car and a Motorbike .. like everyone will normally get a car, but some folk will really want a Bike..  It is hard to predict the total bike market but EASY to predict the total car market.. the total car market is a function of a simple social statistic (income, parking, habitation density, distance from work) and the total population the area.  On the other hand, people buy motorbikes for a whole set of other different reasons.

Bottom line is - console sales are going up as they become as standard as TVs.. pretty much every kid age 7-10 has a console in the living room now.. just about.. like kids used to have an Action Man or a Barbie. Why would you NOT buy your kid a console it's a standard thing to play with, want to DEPRIVE your kid?  But not many parents are buying their 10 year old a PC right at the moment. specially not a high-end Gamer PC.. Either there's one already in the house for the parents (or not) and the 7-10 year old's will use it when they grow up a little - or, that's already not a PC Gamer household.  

So HOW you get to be a Console gamer or a PC gamer comes by two very different routes, already.. The console route is a lot easier, right? No one goes in your house and says "WOW, you got a Console!! - Amazing!! WOW- What do you DO with it?"

Consoles are getting more powerful and with greater multi-functionality. They are sold CHEAP by very very big BIG companies who PLAN and want and aim to get a MONOPOLY over your buying and playing and viewing and lifestyle and spending habits. They have a whole design philosophy behind them. YOU are not ever "the boss" of your console, you paid cash for it but it is a COMPANY console .. It is ONLY a window that connects you to ONE COMPANY..   This is deliberate (you may notice or not, but it is still the result of huge deliberate planning and design). 

Plenty of folk think that's great.

PCs give you a personal freedom that is limited by your imagination, your skills, any network you get involved with, free info .. you CAN in fact do ANYTHING with a PC.. you are totally ROOT with your PC.

Plenty of folk think that's great. I have a console too,  but I am sure ROOT is the only place to be, EVER.   (scuse me) .. euh .. get to ROOT,  TOTALLY..
Maybe PCs attract a different kind of person. But some folk have a car AND a bike..
IMO - I see MegaCorps "'entertainment centers"  will max out when they reach the total population (of the planet) that has a high enough standard of living.. kind of like running water.
[ unless we all die first ]
PCs will never do that.. So consoles are by FAR the clear winner, unless .. ( unless the world financial power structures and the nature of human individuality are totally revised? WOW.. wonder if THAT'S going to happen soon? )  

[ And by PC I mean something that is FULLY reprogrammable TOTALLY VERSATILE and not TIED in any way to the manufacturers of any of the pieces.  Unconstrained  - it's limited ATM only by available technology, speed of light, and your own abilities. ] 

OK -  HERE'S the easy answer to your question.. Taking your figures as they stand  - you think a market of "only" ONE BILLION over the PC market is not worth competing for?  (a little one-and-a-half billion is Soooo TINY, right? I wouldn't bend to pick it up if it was lying in the street, it's only a BILLION.. heheh,  1,000 000 000 (short scale)  
Look again.. In the market for "serious" "full-scale" games..ATM if you make games for PC you are competing in 47% of that market.. (your figures).. so what company would NOT WANT to add another 35 BILLION of potential market to their portfolio, THIS YEAR ?? .. then instead of competing for 47% of the market you are MORE THAN DOUBLING your sales target, and competing for 100% of the market ??

hmm??

But wait... I grew up riding dirt bikes and street bikes all the while owning consoles throughout the years.

I must be some sort of console pleb hybrid?

Also Halo 1-3 greatest shooting trilogy to date. Bungie will never top that benchmark. Those hardcore fans, I would argue, would give even the most steadfast pc gamer a run for their money in terms of being a “gamer”. 

Platforms are really becoming irrelevant. It’s how much you truly enjoy gaming that makes one a gamer..

47 minutes ago, Nayte said:

I must be some sort of console pleb hybrid?

well, yes - you quote 50 lines of text to make a 4 line comment ?? wow ..  that's pleb hybrid ?  - Get some.
" it’s how much you truly enjoy gaming that makes one a gamer " -  totally  I can agree with that.  I think it must be a Yoda quote
right?
"platforms are really becoming irrelevant" - when the question is about SALES and markets ?? - that's just STRANGE
  I never mentioned being a gamer (I mentioned being ROOT sure enough, I guess I should have explained that for console players)  ..

- say, Halo -  isn't that Halo franchise out on :
Xbox,  Microsoft Windows (PC),  OS X,  Xbox 360,  Windows Phone,  iOS,  Xbox One,  any emulator you can run,  & Arcade ??

[ this is totally non-toxic, if @KriegEternal is still listening in Nayte is ma good buddy ]

• Haha 1